• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
same thing the games industry does when the workload is more than their in-house teams can do in the required time (not necessarily because of a strike), but ship the work out to India to work farms.
Yep. There's there's very little danger for the studios if animators/artists go on strike in America. They just outsource it. It's essentially "you'll work on it and you'll like it or we'll have someone else do it"

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Movie was bad. Vfx needed a patch and looked bad. Actors got made fun of but got paid. Vfx artists got made fun of and paid.
People make fun of vfx on things for years. The end of the Matrix got made fun of for years because Neo looked fake. Its part of working in the vfx field. You got paid for your time, the movie bombed, the studio closed.

Whats the issue?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I don't think people are so much criticising the artists as the obvious visionary/production problems. It's less an issue of talent and more one of poor management/time constraints/cost cutting, likely on the side of the studio.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
So like, somebody comes up with the designs and the the VFX people make them right? They probably didn't just leave it up to the VFX people to decide how they'd look, right?

No. Visual effects artists work as a team with input to create a desired look. Like any art design, it's got to be a collaborative process. Certainly the final product is on the director and the studio - and from all evidence Cats was a shitty rush job. The studio involved, Universal Pictures, is full of garbage human beings. They also employ two that I know of: Rebel Wilson and James Corden.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Movie was bad. Vfx needed a patch and looked bad. Actors got made fun of but got paid. Vfx artists got made fun of and paid.
People make fun of vfx on things for years. The end of the Matrix got made fun of for years because Neo looked fake. Its part of working in the vfx field. You got paid for your time, the movie bombed, the studio closed.

Whats the issue?
Gotta defend that honor. For some reason.

The VFX studio closing down is due to the studio itself. These companies outbid each other to do work as quickly and cheaply as possible. A studio closing is a natural result of that (and other issues) and happens often. And their little teasing doesn't amount to the reaction I'm seeing. The VFX was glitchy, even after the patch. Is that up for debate?

Reminds me of the Scorsese debate. Everyone rushed to defend the honor of the VFX artists for reasons when I doubt they can name more than two studios offhand (not named WETA or ILM).

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
It's not the "production" workers who deserve to be raked over the coals for the VFX failures of Cats. It's the designers and the relentlessly-pressuring studio heads that do. Whenever you hear me criticize a movie's VFX, this is what I'm talking about.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
With so much of movies now relying on VFX, I think it's disgusting how often they're under appreciated and the crunch involved and how often studio go bust. This should. not. be. the. norm.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cats' VFX were mostly just slapped together/unfinished. Probably could've been fixed with more time but I'm guessing they had a deadline to meet.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty mean-spirited given that Cordens and Wilson will keep getting work and VFX workers live in precarity.