• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
[Disclaimer: The following game is localized & published by DANGEN Entertainment, if you're avoiding them. For more info, see this thread's threadmarks.]

store.steampowered.com

Vestaria Saga I: War of the Scions on Steam

A prince in flight, charged with defending the last of the royal family, determined to secure a future for his kingdom, unaware he would be fighting for stakes greater still.

Steam Description said:
Story

Vestaria Saga tells the story of international conflict between a powerful empire and a small coastal kingdom. When an imperial ship is set ablaze near the port of Meleda, it sparks a cascade of events that thrusts young warrior Zadrian into a war for the future of his kingdom. On the run from a vicious imperial force and short on allies, Zade and his small band of knights must make difficult decisions to ensure that Meleda's princess, and the very future of its lineage, remain intact.

However, not everything is as it seems, and forces in the dark corners of the continent conspire. The stage is set, and the pieces have begun to move.

Gameplay

Vestaria Saga is a strategy RPG where positioning, movement, and even weaponry, are paramount to success. Move your heavily armed units around a classically styled grid-based map and engage pirates, rebels, monsters, imperial soldiers, and anyone else that stands in your way.

Features
  • An enthralling campaign of espionage, international intrigue, and war written by veterans of the genre
  • Varying story paths and endings based on your choices and who survives to the end
  • Over 20 unique characters to recruit with a wide variety of classes, weapons, and skills
  • Intricate maps filled with a variety of enemies and strategic puzzles to overcome
  • Two finely tuned difficulty modes to accommodate both strategy veterans and newcomers
  • The ability to save every 5 turns so that you can quickly undo any mistakes you've made during a battle
  • A full English script translated from the original Japanese by a veteran translator
  • The first chapter in a new strategy RPG series that builds upon Japanese SRPG traditions

Well, it's been a long wait, but 2019 is penciling in yet another great RPG into its final month. Very unfortunate that it comes via DANGEN, considering the recent reveals of them as a rather gross publisher—especially when all or most of the game's proceeds presumably go to them for the localization, since Kaga put it out in Japanese for free.

Who here's still excited? Anyone have impressions from the JP version?

Last edited:

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no. Even though I been waiting this game for a while I have no doubt Kaga will not see this money considering we are dealing with Dangen here.

Also, fuck Ben Judd that piece of shit.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I made the previous thread on this and avoided making an update or a new one because of Dangen's involvement. As unfortunate it is for Kaga (and myself), I can't really support Dangen at this point.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
So many people with high ethical standards everywhere. Makes one wonder why our world is such a shithole.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll ask for every future poster and myself:

What's the problem with Dangan Entertainment?

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I am unlikely to purchase on release day, because seeing some reviews and additional footage would be nice, but I won't deny it's an interesting title.

Even with the publisher being shady, I am not going to entirely dismiss the possibility of picking it up at a later point.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Setting all the other issues with Dangen aside, the final 10 seconds of that trailer are enough to make this one a "nope" for me.

OP
OP
Disclaimer

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be curious to see if DANGEN views this as a profitable enough venture to localize the two gaidens that Kaga put out for Vestaria earlier this year. (Assuming they continue to exist that long.)

Aveyn Knight

Nov 29, 2017
UK
Setting all the other issues with Dangen aside, the final 10 seconds of that trailer are enough to make this one a "nope" for me.
That bit was cheesy as heck, but it's from what is essentially the tutorial map and IIRC the only part of the game that breaks the 4th wall.

It's extremely disheartening that Kaga tried to avoid drama in the first place and he ended up signing with Dangen...

OP
OP
Disclaimer

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Oi, thetrin (or whoever else from DANGEN reads this), slight error in the screenshots on display on the Steam page:

ss_980293ca65d67ed54e772bc78f56e8307ac8f3b2.600x338.jpg

lol.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Sucks about Dangen but like this is the only way for me to play old-school Fire Emblem like games. Since Nintendo takes forever to make their back catalogue available. I'm not buying a GBA in 2019 damn it. Or a fucking Wii U so don't get cheeky with me!

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
How is this game? Not especially planning on getting it but I wonder how it fares

Fwiw, the game is free in Japanese. It was never intended to be sold for profit and it's something Kaga made in his spare time as a hobby with a group of friends.
Good on him. At least that's a SRPG creator who get things done

OP
OP
Disclaimer

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
This is true. I just can't see myself paying $20 to Dangen.

It's really unfortunate. Under normal circumstances, I would eagerly pay $20 for the localization of an obscure JP indie that was unlikely to be hugely successful—especially from Kaga.

Would be nice if we could, at the very least, get confirmation that Kaga is being paid a portion of profits–even if he's putting the games out on his side for free.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah SRPGS are one of my favourite genres of gaming but I can't support this, despite being a fan of Fire Emblem from way back when. Shame it was DANGEN and not another indie publisher.

Noel

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I've played through most of the game when it first came out with Google translate on my phone. I'm looking forward to picking it up and actually being able to enjoy the story and the hundreds of missed secrets.

Chrom

Oct 26, 2017
Oi, thetrin (or whoever else from DANGEN reads this), slight error in the screenshots on display on the Steam page:

ss_980293ca65d67ed54e772bc78f56e8307ac8f3b2.600x338.jpg

lol.
Not tied with the publisher but I think that screenshot's been on the Steam page since the game was first announced last year, they just haven't gotten rid of it. For all we know, they might've already quashed that little oversight by now.

OP
OP
Disclaimer

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Not tied with the publisher but I think that screenshot's been on the Steam page since the game was first announced last year, they just haven't gotten rid of it. For all we know, they might've already quashed that little oversight by now.

Hopefully. It needed to be brought to light in any case so as not to misrepresent their work.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I would be buying this immediately if not for Dangen, I want to make sure Kaga gets my money. Hoping something can/will be done about that soon

Feb 12, 2019
I had forgotten about this game. I'd like to know how good it is before I dump $20 on it... but honestly, given the current situation with the publisher, I'm not thrilled about paying for it in any circumstance.

Chrom

Oct 26, 2017
I think this topic on Steam discussions might ease some concerns with regards to the subject of where exactly the revenue is going.

According to a representative, Vestaria Project and the English translators are in fact receiving a significant portion of the revenue earned. So from this, it can be understood that purchasing Vestaria Saga on Steam directly supports the development team and others who worked to make this release possible.

Just words to go by, but I figure people would like to see this response.