• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Experiencing OoT in the early 2000's is an experience I'll never take away. I think the 3DS port still holds up even if the game is a bit sluggish in its pace by todays standards.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it holds up perfectly well especially given this was cutting edge 3D gameplay that nailed it one go, but better games have come out since.

It'd be a damning indictment on the games industry if no one in the last 21 years could surpass Ocarina of Time.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Yeah it will forever be a masterpiece, it's level design is damn near perfect and almost no one else even dares create complex 3D levels like dungeons started in OoT. It's a shame BOTW left out all that great level design when it should compliment the freedom.

MM is different and not different. Different in that it's tone is very bleak and it has a full game system in time travel that alters how you approach the game. But it's the same game for the most part, just new areas, new dungeons, a bunch of great new mechanics, it's OoT expanded. It also has the greatest side quests of any game. It's my favorite game because of that.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I played it on N64 for the first time about 8 years ago and I thought it was amazing. I actually loved the look of it and how empty and lonely the world felt.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly agree with the things you have said. Ocarina is a great game and its soundtrack and atmosphere are phenomenal.

Since you are playing Majora's Mask next OP my only advice would be try to get all the masks if you can.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
as somebody who wasn't utterly blown away by the game in '98 and doesn't quite hold it on the reverential pedestal most my age do, i do believe it's held up amazingly well. easily the best of what i call "the OoT pentalogy" (all 3D games before BotW)

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's dated at all and still holds up remarkably well. I haven't even played the 3DS remake, but plan on doing that soon enough.

The music, the dungeons, the general gameplay though. All top-notch still.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I've really enjoyed these threads OP. It's interesting reading opinions from a long-time gamer whose tastes gravitate towards one of one of the most critically acclaimed series of all-time yet is clearly pretty unfamiliar with the series.

That being said I'm actually of the opinion that OoT holds up a lot better than aLttP. The dungeons in OoT feel more like....well, dungeons, the puzzles feel more involved and complex and they have a lot more atmosphere, the whole game feels more like a a real journey. aLttP's dungeons feel a bit more arcadey. I agree that aLttP's combat and movement hold up better but I think OoT is mostly fine in that regard.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Ocarina is the best LoZ title and is still as fun and memorable today as it was 20 years ago.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
FANTASTIC The One Who Knocks loved reading your OP.
Glad you enjoyed a zelda game again, man you must have some time to play all of these zelda games :D

Again going to point out that this game also has TONS of Randomizer communities and options that make the game fantastic if you ever want to play it again.
Looking forward to your MM Thread enjoy! :D AniHawk reminds me a bit of you when you started to play all the zelda games and post about your experience over at the old place.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still didn't played a game as good as this(MM being the nearest) and I try to play at least once a year. If you don't bother about low(though constant) framerate I'd recommend you the original. That are some changes made on 3ds that I didn't like. Though it's a good version anyway.

Ocarina is the best LoZ title and is still as fun and memorable today as it was 20 years ago.

Thanks for your opinion...XD

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Anything it did that was amazing has been done better at this point, but that's a good thing. It was amazing when it came out and still holds up pretty well. It's just not the watershed game it was back then.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see you enjoy a traditional 3D Zelda! It's always interesting to watch new fans from BotW go back.

It appears to have an infamous reputation, and I hear the 3DS release actually streamlines some of those problems, but if so, I have nothing to judge those original problems on.
If you're curious, they made exactly 3 changes:
-The paths leading to the panels where you can change the water level are marked
-The key in the room in the central column is made much more obvious; when you change the water level inside, the bit where the game shows you the room hidden under the floating platform was only added in the 3DS version. Without that scene, this key was so obscure that people believed it was possible to use your keys in the wrong order and get stuck. This rumor actually became a common belief among fans.
-Iron Boots were changed from main equipment to an item, eliminating the need to pause to equip or remove them. This was exacerbated by the original menu being slower to navigate.
This is probably a bit of a controversial take, but I feel like Ocarina of Time actually does better on the story and storytelling front than Breath of the Wild,
Not a controversial take at all because:
which, it is now becoming evident, seems to have been an outlier for the series in how weak it was on the storytelling front.
This is correct. BotW was probably the weakest of any entry so far in this aspect, and even among its most adoring fans this is pretty well recognized.
Yes, I've heard Majora is very different and sort of a psychological horror game? I'm not sure how that fits with Zelda, but I'm interested to check it out.
It's definitely not, and it's absolutely still a Zelda game at heart. However, the gameplay mechanics and general mood are built around the central mechanic make it feel very different from anything else. I adore the game, probably one of my top 3 Zeldas, but don't go in expecting another epic adventure though a classic fantasy land; that's not what MM is.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
Watch on YT the last fight in the N64 version.
My only complaint about the 3DS version was that the lightning in the final boss was really inadequate.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It holds up very well imo. I much prefer a compact world over what we have today.

I look forward to your thoughts on Majoras Mask. It's something else entirely.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I did not played the original game but I played the 3DS version and I think it is easily one of the best games ever made. I am not usually very keen on remakes, but I would buy an HD remake for the Switch in a heartbeat.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
No but I didn't like it at the time either despite loving every Zelda game that came before it. For me OOT represents a downward trajectory for the series but I know that I'm alone in this opinion.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really like it that much, came to it late as well. Didn't quite capture Zelda to me outside the dungeons, felt like Zelda in the dungeons then just a shit load of trudging in between. Majora's Mask got it though.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
OOT is still my favourite game of all time. It gets challenged regularly and always prevails. I know it's not nostalgia as I play it often enough. I hope it comes to the switch soon enough, don't want the hassle of 3DS anymore

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I miss having my mind absolutely blown like it used to be via games like OOT, Half Life and Metal Gear Solid.

Though on the other hand there are so many good games being released now. Even a bad Assassins Creed is still a pretty good game. There was a lot of crap during that gen and now even bad games have a decent level of polish.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Amazing game for its time that feels dated by today's standards. I agree with pretty much the entirety of Lobster Roll's post. Much of what made Ocarina great was how revolutionary it was in terms of game and world design, both of which have been refined in the decades since.

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
OoT absolutely holds up. It's better than than the 3D Zelda that most directly tried to follow the same formula ( Twilight Princess ). every other 3D is better as they expanded or toyed with the OoT model in various ways. But they all owe it to OoT, and they're all great.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nice write up OP.
Ocarina will always be my favourite video game ever, but that's for what it means to me. I don't necessarily think it's the best Zelda game, but it has a charm to it. That said I will defend the Great Deku Tree's level design in that it is incredibly engaging in that it does what Nintendo level design does best, and teaches the player the game mechanics as it introduces them, ie: the ladder in the slingshot room being an example. You can't leave the room until you use the item you received in it.

That said I've been playing the fantastic randomizer of OoT to freshen up my experience with the game.
Like you said OP, back when Hyrule Field did feel incredible to me the first time I traversed it. Today though, it isn't that it's empty that bothers me, but that it's layout kind of makes no sense. With paths and fences that don't seem to have any real purpose.
This is more evident when compared to the design of later games, such as Terminal Field in Majora's Mask which certainly feels to have more thought out into it.

Anywho, have fun with Majora's. It has the best side quests of any Zelda game.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
OoT has aged in some aspects: the overworld is no longer impressive, and the combat (while fortunately still controlling well) is rather simplistic nowadays. Collecting 100% and finding all the secrets is kind of pedestrian now too.

However, it still has enough timeless stuff at its core to hold up pretty well. The story is a perfect example of a simple fairy tale (with one midgame twist) executed very well. The dungeons are the game's bread and butter and they're excellent. And of course the soundtrack. So basically the things listed in the OP.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
After completing A Link to the Past and loving it, I decided to go and get myself a New 2DS and copies of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask the very next day. Then I decided to make my way through Ocarina of Time.

Ocarina of Time is a game I actually have familiarity with. It's hard not to. It was everywhere in 1998, and to this day people cite it as the greatest game ever made. Its reputation precedes itself, but all of that just made me more wary of the game, especially since it seemed like a large part of why people seemed to love the game was founded in its technical achievements at the time, such as its in-game cutscenes used for storytelling, or Z-targeting, or its then mind blowing "open world", none of which I imagined would have aged as well, and which would surely take the lustre off its shine a bit.

In many regards, I feel I was right a bit. Ocarina of Time does not hold up as well as A Link to the Past, which could release today as is and would probably garner a lot of the same acclaim now it did back when it first came out. Ocarina's technical achievements don't seem as impressive since we're so far past them. But even accounting for that, the core game design in Ocarina of Time is incredible, and makes for a very tight, very engaging game.

Let's talk about that design first. Nintendo's legendary and frankly enviable mastery over level design is on full display in this game's dungeons. There are some weaker ones in this bunch (everything in the first act of the game), though I do try to contextualize that with the awareness that Nintendo was breaking new ground in 3D game design with those. That said, the second half is incredible on this front. The Forest Temple may be the single greatest bit of level design I have seen yet (my mind still reels from the central gimmick of that dungeon), complete with the great aesthetic, atmosphere, and boss battle. The Water Temple was marvellous. It appears to have an infamous reputation, and I hear the 3DS release actually streamlines some of those problems, but if so, I have nothing to judge those original problems on. In this version, I love it, and how much it forces you to consider the dungeon as a three dimensional structure, and try to navigate it while keeping track of you place within the larger whole. The Spirit Temple benefits from the best lead up to it (Gerudo Valley đź‘Ś), as well as some delightful design owing to the fact that it's actually the only dungeon in the game that leverages the time switching mechanic at all (sadly, the other dungeons didn't do much with this).

Hyrule Field is obviously not as impressive today as it must have been in 1998, but I can only imagine what it must have felt like to step out into that open space back then. It's still well design, although it suffers from simultaneously seeming small and a bit empty. Nonetheless, I love the hub and spokes design, and it serves to facilitate a general feeling of exploration well.

An area this game is very strong at is the controls and game feel. Everything is extremely responsive and quick, combat feels snappy and tense (though it's slower than A Link to the Past, and less complex than Breath of the Wild). Link feels like a joy to control and move through the world. A second place where Ocarina does surprisingly well is with its story and storytelling. It delves deep into the lore of its world, into the characters, giving them personalities and motivations that always feel believable and memorable, and actually putting emphasis on its cinematic presentation and narrative prescription. This is probably a bit of a controversial take, but I feel like Ocarina of Time actually does better on the story and storytelling front than Breath of the Wild, which, it is now becoming evident, seems to have been an outlier for the series in how weak it was on the storytelling front. Thankfully, this time, the whole fakeout did not catch me ofF-guard, since A Link to the Past had prepared me for it.

Actually, A Link to the Past could have prepared me for almost everything in this game, since Ocarina of Time largely seems to be a 3D remake of A Link to the Past, albeit with some great storytelling layered on top. I also want to take special note of the game's final boss fight, which I can only imagine traumatized tons of kids with that transformation, as well as the game's soundtrack, which is a series' best (literally every single note in the whole soundtrack is a win), and makes me hope that the next Zelda game actually takes from Ocarina's style of music (as much as I appreciate BOTW's minimalism).

My final prognosis is that Ocarina is really good. It's my least favorite of the three Zelda games I have played so far, admittedly (the other two being LTTP and BOTW), but that's not a knock against it as much as it is a testament to how great Zelda seems to be. I loved the game, I loved the story, I loved this adventure and I feel more attached to the world of Hyrule and its inhabitants than ever before. I can't wait to see where Majora's Mask takes me now, since that's the Zelda game I start next.
Technical Achievement is not what made Ocarina of Time so great.

You said it yourself, you felt the mastery of the game's design. Now imagine how impossible it was to design a 3D game this good in 1998, when developers were still trying to figure out how to do basic things like camera and controls right.

I did play it when i had a PS2, and it felt superior to every single PS2 game I did play in term of brilliant game design and mastery over 3D space and construction, despite generational jump. This is a testament to how good OoT really was.

It is still a great game today and like you said, even the simple, fairy tale story was great with very strong spiritual atmosphere.

I love Ocarina of Time.

Last edited:

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
At the release, Ocarina was the most impressive game ever:

-Tons of content
-Amazing implementation of the series mechanics in 3D
-Some really revolutionary new mechanics, like Z-targeting, that are basic to some beloved modern series like Souls games
-One of the best OSTs ever
-Lots of secrets and a really strong level design
-Epic bosses and some scary moments (for a kid, obviously)
-The ocarina implementation is really good and makes the player connect with the game music even more

I considered OoT the best game ever during years, and this only changed when BotW was released.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
OP, when it comes to Majora's Mask, if you are going to play the game just to beat the dungeons and finish the game, then you aren't really going to like the game too much. It's actually really short if you play it that way.

You HAVE to play it getting all the masks because THAT'S when you get to see all the story bits, all the weirdness, and fall in love with the characters.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Disclaimer: Ocarina is still one of the greatest games of all time in my opinion. It pushed the industry forward and was a revolutionary and epic game for its time.

That said, Ocarina has aged VERY poorly compared to other Zelda titles. In a 2019 world where Link to the Past and Ocarina never exist and those titles are then published for the first time in 2020 ... LTTP would still be grabbing 10/10 from every outlet and it's a 2D entry that would fit with modern 2D titles. It's a timeless classic that plays very, very well by today's standards. You release Ocarina in a post-Majora's world, post-Wind Waker world, post-BOTW world ... it would still be received positively overall, but it's a very dated game in many aspects including graphics, textures, overworld, puzzle design, enemy design, and overall challenge.

Stepping out into Hyrule Field in 2019 ... there's what? One peahat that's off to the left a trio of skeleton monsters if you take your time getting to Hyrule? Otherwise you've got Lon Lon Ranch in the middle and that's pretty much it aside from the exits to the more interesting places. Otherwise, Hyrule Field is just a big open plain that serves as an annoyance until you can bypass it completely with your ocarina. There's little-to-no overworld exploration, as the exploration takes place in the isolated towns and setpieces.

There's not a single challenging enemy fight in the game aside from bosses, which are typically "figure out how that new gadget you got from the big chest trips up the big bad" challenges. It's the kind of game where you probably shouldn't die, ever, if you've had any experience with 3D adventure games in the last 21 years.

Where the game really, truly shines is the dungeon design. Not the puzzles in the dungeon, mind you. The actual dungeons themselves are spectacular and will timelessly be spectacular. Each one absolutely nails the theme it is going for, and they manage to have every one of them feel sprawling and at times - confusing (a good thing). If at any point a dungeon in a game has you checking your map thinking "ok where now ..." it's succeeded greatly. Ocarina's bread and butter is the dungeons, and it's still the standard in the series.

I just think that overall, it's a very dated product to go back on. I can certainly boot it up and have a fantastic time, but I also grew up with the game. It's ingrained in my childhood and at release, it earned its spot in the halls of the greatest games of all time. I can slap my nostalgia glasses on and have fond memories like "MAN, remember when Hyrule Field blew my mind at its size". But that's just nostalgia putting in its work. Most people that I've introduced to Ocarina in recent years have had the same "this looks and plays like ass" reaction after coming from modern games. And I get it ... it was their first 3D entry and there's only so much output you can get from a cartridge in 1998, which is why I can't look back and fault the game for its limitations. But it's very difficult for me to say that it "holds up" by modern standards.

If ever there was a game that could benefit from a "from-the-ground-up" style remake like FF7, it would be Ocarina.
Agreed, still amazing by game design standards in ways that others will never match up too, but it can feel pretty dated and was surpassed by every 3D Zelda after it.

however I also think LTTP aged badly too.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Still holds up. Did a replay last year via emulator and still loved it. I'm playing through botw now and I agree with the story telling aspect, OOT was very strong in that regard.

It absolutely BLEW minds when it was released...well, it did for literally everyone I knew who played it. Yes, the structure is very similar to LTTP but there are enough differences that it isn't too much so.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
At the release, Ocarina was the most impressive game ever:

-Tons of content
-Amazing implementation of the series mechanics in 3D
-Some really revolutionary new mechanics, like Z-targeting, that are basic to some beloved modern series like Souls games
-One of the best OSTs ever
-Lots of secrets and a really strong level design
-Epic bosses and some scary moments (for a kid, obviously)
-The ocarina implementation is really good and makes the player connect with the game music even more

I considered OoT the best game ever during years, and this only changed when BotW was released.
Agreed. It was just so far ahead of what everyone else was doing. It didn't seem like anyone other then 90s Nintendo could make that game.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing game for its time that feels dated by today's standards. I agree with pretty much the entirety of Lobster Roll's post. Much of what made Ocarina great was how revolutionary it was in terms of game and world design, both of which have been refined in the decades since.
People keep trotting this, but I haven't read a single convincing argument how subsequent 3D Zeldas have refined OoT's design templates. All the 3D Zeldas since have had glaring flaws that, while marginally changing some mechanics and adding new gimmicks, overall they don't reach the consistent level of quality game design OoT has set in 1998.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda hard to go back to the N64 version, but the 3D remake is still the most well rounded 3D Zelda game with a great balance of exploration, quests, and dungeons. The pacing is nearly perfect, which is a bit of a weak point with later games.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't this the same OP who said "he didn't get what all the fuss is about LTTP" having not even finished half the game?

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I love ocarina and hate majora with a passion, aside from 2, it's easily the worst game in the series as far as I'm concerned. It's certainly the most divisive one in the series. It seems you either love or hate Majora's, there's simply no middle ground.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
People keep trotting this, but I haven't read a single convincing argument how subsequent 3D Zeldas have refined OoT's design templates. All the 3D Zeldas since have had glaring flaws that, while marginally changing some mechanics and adding new gimmicks, overall they don't reach the consistent level of quality game design OoT has set in 1998.
MM- way more engaging story and sidequests
TWW - way better exploration of the overworld, sense of adventure
TP and SS - way better dungeons

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I think OoT is great and holds up fine, but I think it's been surpassed multiple times since (namely by Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Breath of the Wild.)

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The visuals on the 64 are pretty rough by today's standards (3D was definitely needed on that front), but the dungeon design and general pacing is still sublime.

The overworld, characters and sidequests are pretty bland though. Majora's Mask evolved things on that front so heavily that Ocarina of Time seems very simplistic in comparison.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco

I didn't limit it to just 3D Zeldas.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
MM- way more engaging story and sidequests
TWW - way better exploration of the overworld, sense of adventure
TP and SS - way better dungeons
MM: it has great sidequests but I'm not sure how they contribute to the plot. Link grows in OoT (quite literally) and is personally invested to complete his quest. Link in MM does not except his selfish reason to return to his own world. MM also has a trash villain that doesn't get explored at all in the final act.

TWW: I'm pretty sure OoT has more actual ground to walk on. The seas in TWW are ultimately shallow (quite literally) with little to explore beyond a handful of islands.

TP/SS: If you ask people around, I'm pretty sure they still celebrate the Forest Temple, Water Temple and the Spirit Temple for different reasons. People make a case for the Arbiter's Grounds, City in the Sky and Ancient Cistern, and rightfully so, but again, they are few and far between. OoT on the other hand has quality dungeon after quality dungeon.

Oct 25, 2017
I recently played the 3DS OoT and I think it holds up incredibly well. But, I also played the N64 version back at launch and it blew my mind and I'll never be able to shake that nostalgia.

But of the two N64 Zeldas, I'll always prefer Majora's Mask. It's weirder, darker, shorter and the Bomber's Notebook is still one of the coolest things I've done in a game.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. Even in the cases where improvements were made (ie hub world) they often came with that lacked other quality zelda content like temples.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Even in the cases where improvements were made (ie hub world) they often came with that lacked other quality zelda content like temples.
Also things like fishing. It's damning when every Zelda game that came after OoT has a worse fishing mechanic. The Wind Waker doesn't even have fishing!