• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Let me start by saying that I rarely play online Multiplayer and mostly enjoy single player games. Only games I play online are fighting games, really. I do enjoy shooters and was once a Halo fan but I somehow never tried any of the online only games like Destiny and the Division. I can't explain it, but I immediately lose interest when I find out a game has a requirement for a permanent Internet connection.

Destiny 2 was a free game on PS+ back in 2018, but I didn't download and try it until last week, thanks to 2 friends who pushed me to give it a try. And wow, turns out that I really like the game! The menus are confusing as hell (for me), the loading times could be much better and I still don't know what the hell is happening in the story but the gameplay is great fun and tackling missions with friends in a party is one of the most fun I've had with a game this gen! I guess I shouldn't have been closed minded with these online only games.

A lot of content seems to be locked behind DLCs that I don't have (will wait for a sale for the upgrade bundle that includes Forsaken and Shadowkeep) but it's still a lot of fun for a game I didn't spend a penny on so far.

Now a few questions :
-Is Destiny 2 and its DLCs going to get a free upgrade on ps5? Would a PS5 version have a cross play with ps4?
-Seems like a new expansion is dropping in November but do we know if Bungie has started work on Destiny 3?

Thanks guys

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
Now a few questions :

-Seems like a new expansion is dropping in November but do we know if Bungie has started work on Destiny 3?

Thanks guys

So they have decided not to make a Destiny 3 and instead to continue to release expansions. Really though they are just trying to change Destiny 2 enough to be a Destiny 3 without changing the name.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
- No idea about PS5 upgrade.
- They said they won't do Destiny 3. They already have 2 more expansions after the next one mapped out until 2022.
- So much of the current contents are going to be removed once the new expansion drop so do them now if you want to experience them. Like, the entire base game contents and the first few expansions will be removed. You can check on their website. You also need to redownload the entire game then because they redo their entire system and make the game size smaller.

With how much they are removing from the game, it's not that different from it being Destiny 3, just with the same engine.

OP
OP
DJwest

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
No Destiny 3 for now huh? Then I hope they are working to ensure a smooth transition to next gen

- So much of the current contents are going to be removed once the new expansion drop so do them now if you want to experience them. Like, the entire base game contents and the first few expansions will be removed. You can check on their website. You also need to redownload the entire game then because they basically redo their entire system and make the game size smaller.
I'll check their website, thanks a lot for the info. Then do I even need to buy Forsaken now?

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
-Is Destiny 2 and its DLCs going to get a free upgrade on ps5? Would a PS5 version have a cross play with ps4?
Yes, Destiny 2 will get patches to get proper support for PS5 and XseX. The game will run at 4K/60 and yes, PS5 will have crossplay with PS4 while XseX|S has crossplay with X1/X1X.
The new expansion is part of what was originally supposed to be Destiny 3, had Bungie stuck with Activision. But Bungie's shifted their plans to support Destiny 2. They've announced THREE expansions with Beyond Light in 2020, The Witch Queen in 2021 and Lightfall (Name subject to change) in 2022.

OP
OP
DJwest

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, Destiny 2 will get patches to get proper support for PS5 and XseX. The game will run at 4K/60 and yes, PS5 will have crossplay with PS4 while XseX|S has crossplay with X1/X1X.
The new expansion is part of what was originally supposed to be Destiny 3, had Bungie stuck with Activision. But Bungie's shifted their plans to support Destiny 2. They've announced THREE expansions with Beyond Light in 2020, The Witch Queen in 2021 and Lightfall (Name subject to change) in 2022.
Great news about cross play with ps5. Also good to know they're going to keep supporting this game in the long term

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
- Yes PS5 upgrade is free and there is PS4-PS5 crossplay.
- Current word by Bungie is that they are all in on Destiny 2 and they have announced 2022 Fall expansion as well. There might be Destiny 3 after that but who knows. Bungie doesn't sound too hot on that idea.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
No Destiny 3 for now huh? Then I hope they are working to ensure a smooth transition to next gen

I'll check their website, thanks a lot for the info. Then do I even need to buy Forsaken now?
Forsaken will still be in the game after Beyond Light but you'll still need to buy it, at least for now.

With how much they are removing with Beyond Light, there's too little contents for F2P version that I wouldn't be surprise if they will just make Forsaken free at some point.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I jumped in a few weeks ago with GP news. Been really enjoying it, just working through the stuff that is going to get dropped in November for now.

Adum

May 30, 2019
I really wish Bungie would pucker up and just do a full sequel because Destiny 2 at it's core is still designed for last gen. The incredibly long load times, the slow menu responsiveness, the corridor filled open world design and fireteam limitations will hound it for years if they insist on just expanding D2 instead of going for D3.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I really wish Bungie would pucker up and just do a full sequel because Destiny 2 at it's core is still designed for last gen. The incredibly long load times, the slow menu responsiveness, the corridor filled open world design and fireteam limitations will hound it for years if they insist on just expanding D2 instead of going for D3.
The load times and menu responsiveness are already massively improved just by having an SSD, see Series X performance. It's more like current gen consoles having trash tier I/O.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny to me defined the PS4 generation, and probably holds some of the most memorable moments I've had in gaming overall. Few things compare to clearing a raid for the first time with a group of friends. Just thinking of stuff like King's Fall, Wrath of the Machine and Vault of Glass and I start smiling like a little kid.

Destiny 2 also had some really good highs. Last Wish raid is amazing content, the Whisper mission, Shattered throne. Hell, I know a lot of people hated how competitive crucible was set-up, but getting Not Forgotten (prior to nerfs and comp changes), with just one of my buddies against full fledged fireteams is probably my biggest gaming achievement.

I fucking love Destiny, even if I haven't played it for nearly a year now, but I'm coming back with the new expansion.

PS5 upgrade is free by the way.

www.resetera.com

Destiny appreciation thread

Destiny is amazing. I have been playing it consistently since the alpha for the first game, I take it for granted, but today I was thinking about this franchise, and all things considered, I don't think Bungie gets the plaudits they deserve. From the way it plays, to the scope of its raids, the...

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
The load times and menu responsiveness are already massively improved just by having an SSD, see Series X performance. It's more like current gen consoles having trash tier I/O.
Last time I played, it's still limited by connection speed. There's nothing like being stuck trying to connect to the tower because someone's on dial-up, and see 15 people next to you all load in at the same exact time after waiting 3 minutes just to get in the tower.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Last time I played, it's still limited by connection speed. There's nothing like being stuck trying to connect to the tower because someone's on dial-up, and see 15 people next to you all load in at the same exact time after waiting 3 minutes just to get in the tower.

this is just the back compat version. Not the Series X version

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You should ping Ruthless a message here to join the Destiny Era Discord DJwest ! Great community that's always willing to help with info or runs for things if you need them. Couldn't recommend it enough to help fuel that enjoyment.

Glad you're having a fun time, it's a great game. Probably my favourite FPS of all time when you account for some child nostalgia. It has dry patches and there's a lot to criticise but Destiny feels like home at this point.

- Yes, if you own Destiny and any content then you own it. No need for multiple versions.
- No Destiny 3 - D2 is just ongoing. They have announced the next two major expansions past BL too (so next 3 years of play).

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I started this season too and have since put in, erm, 300+ hours. I'm starting to dry up on stuff to do, but it's been a great time. No regrets.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
I would not be that optimistic when it comes to full-blown cross-play. There is a myriad of technical issues that need to be addressed for cross-play parity across the board.

Other than that, welcome to D2. I've been here for... Many years. All I know is that when old age turns my brain to mush and I forget how to sit down or wipe my ass, I will still be able to teach all Destiny raids to other players.

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
I would not be that optimistic when it comes to full-blown cross-play. There is a myriad of technical issues that need to be addressed for cross-play parity across the board.

Other than that, welcome to D2. I've been here for... Many years. All I know is that when old age turns my brain to mush and I forget how to sit down or wipe my ass, I will still be able to teach all Destiny raids to other players.

That's all we ever ask of you.

Do we know if with the cross-play there will be next-gen system exclusive lobbies for fireteam activities? Not that I play a ton of Crucible but could playing on a PS5/XSX give an advantage over players on current-gen systems?

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
That's all we ever ask of you.

Do we know if with the cross-play there will be next-gen system exclusive lobbies for fireteam activities? Not that I play a ton of Crucible but could playing on a PS5/XSX give an advantage over players on current-gen systems?
They haven't gone in any sort of details for cross play but i guess it will be controller/KB+M based lobbies at most.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
OP, my experience was similar. Last year on steam release I fell in love with the game. Play till this day. The game have plenty of issues and lack of basic QoL but the gameplay its just the best FPS in my opinion. The sheer amount of variety of weapons feels.... The gunplay is amazing!

Oct 27, 2017
Let me start by saying that I rarely play online Multiplayer and mostly enjoy single player games. Only games I play online are fighting games, really. I do enjoy shooters and was once a Halo fan but I somehow never tried any of the online only games like Destiny and the Division. I can't explain it, but I immediately lose interest when I find out a game has a requirement for a permanent Internet connection.

Destiny 2 was a free game on PS+ back in 2018, but I didn't download and try it until last week, thanks to 2 friends who pushed me to give it a try. And wow, turns out that I really like the game! The menus are confusing as hell (for me), the loading times could be much better and I still don't know what the hell is happening in the story but the gameplay is great fun and tackling missions with friends in a party is one of the most fun I've had with a game this gen! I guess I shouldn't have been closed minded with these online only games.

A lot of content seems to be locked behind DLCs that I don't have (will wait for a sale for the upgrade bundle that includes Forsaken and Shadowkeep) but it's still a lot of fun for a game I didn't spend a penny on so far.

Now a few questions :

Thanks guys
yes ps4 d2 is 100% compatible with ps5 and will get a next gen patch
if you have d2 and all of the dlc on ps4 it will work on ps5 without you needing to buy it again.

no bungie is no working on d3 they already announced 3 years of expansions including beyond light until 2022

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like you're about 200 hours away from realising you've wasted almost 200 hours of your time.

Truthfully, that's how I've always ended up feeling. It's always ended with me going 'Wtf am I doing? Why am I playing this?'

Still, I can't deny that I had some fun with it. Especially with Destiny 1, but in the end I always find myself pushing myself towards a pointless grind that always leads into repetitive and often poorly designed activities. But by that point I'm hooked on the grind, the idea of improving my character, so I end up forcing myself through a lot of unenjoyable stuff, for the sake progression. It takes a long time to snap out of it, take a step back and realise that I'm sinking so much time into a game which when you analyse it's component parts, really isn't all that good.

Sorry to be so negative, that's just my experience with the game.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I know this thread is about Destiny 2, and I keep going on about Destiny 1, but Destiny 1 was so good and had some of my favorite weapons. I also preferred the way armor and weapons looked.

They need to bring this sniper and raid to Destiny 2:

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
OP you should check The Whisper and Zero Hour mission if you haven't already.

Both are among my favorite missions in the genre, up there with that one mission in Titanfall 2.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
There was a time that tower instances were forced into load everyone in at once to fix a server error code issue, it's not the case any more. I rarely experience >30s tower flying and can usually land at tower within 90 seconds after booting up the game on PC.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought an OLED, I won't touch Destiny again until they update their HUD so there's less chance of image retention.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I went back to it recently. It's a great game in many respects but I gotta say the story/dressing of it is not my cup of tea: endless portentous nonsense (even though it enables some stunningly beautiful scenery) mixed with weak/derivative humour, really bad load times and just a shit load of what feels like bloat to wade through, pulling you in a million different directions of 'kill these here then run there for ???'.

I realise it's being streamlined soon and jumping into anything late is usually a bad idea, and that I haven't raided since launch. But yeah, it often feels like work...