• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StealthieOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dfw
Without any fanfare or notice, my FlipGrip arrived today! Spent an hour playing various TATE games and can confirm it's a nicely-engineered little kit -- everything is solid and easy to work with, and the instruction card/credit card/kickstand is an extra bit of genius. All that I'd need to make it perfect would be some sort of way to keep the instructions/kickstand attached to the grip when not in use, but that's just a minor quibble on an excellent product.

Didn't get any fancy wrapping paper on my unit. >pout< ;-)

How exactly do you do the credit card stand.. When. I try it just falls down

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
How exactly do you do the credit card stand.. When. I try it just falls down
Are you putting it in on the right side? There is a little credit card icon next to the side it goes in and the other side doesn't quite sit right causing it to fall easily. It should be a pretty snug fit and is solid for me considering.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

lazyguy

Oct 26, 2017
they were asking 42.5k for this?
This is like, a weekend project. You can search it on thingiverse and there are many variants done already. (this and this looks good).
Maybe it costs that much, but the cad models were fully done already and there's no breakdown of the spending.

(before anyone gets tilted, I recognize this is a much more polished product compared to what I found on thingiverse, but they asked for 42.5k)

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tried it with Ikaruga. Worked really well! Just as advertised. really. And by that I mean taking into account all the downsides that were already explained by them.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
This is like, a weekend project. You can search it on thingiverse and there are many variants done already. (this and this looks good).
Maybe it costs that much, but the cad models were fully done already and there's no breakdown of the spending.

(before anyone gets tilted, I recognize this is a much more polished product compared to what I found on thingiverse, but they asked for 42.5k)
the kickstarter page said:
We just need to raise the funds to cut the tools that will be used to mass produce Flip Grip.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even process this. Why would you have such evil in your heart.

I can't stand their credit eating bullshit rank system. Knocking the difficulty down a notch or two makes their games tolerable to me but then the balance skews slightly too easy so I feel like I never find a completely happy medium.

Nice to look at, and fun enough to 1CC on reduced difficulty, but not my go to shumps of choice if given more options.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the US and mine was not in the bubble mailer. Wonder if its the difference between kickstarted and ordered directly though fangamer?

I can't even process this. Why would you have such evil in your heart.
Oh yeah, you nailed it. Must be it. I was a KS backer and only got the cardboard box, but if you order it from FG it obviously ships in their packaging!

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's a weekend project to injection-mold thousands of items with custom packaging, stickers, and functional instructions? Sure, Jan. Do me a favor. Head on over to China, build 5000 of these and let me know what it costs you.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yeah. Having witnessed firsthand the evolution of this thing from 3D-printed rough draft to mass-manufactured product, I've really come to appreciate just how enormously superior the quality of the latter is to the former. A cheap 3D print costs about $10 worth of materials, and one of mine shattered during transport; the more durable 3D prints we demoed toward the end, which approached the quality of the manufactured grips, required high-end materials that cost hundreds of dollars.

I can understand the skepticism, though. I never realized how much time and expense go into the process of manufacturing even a simple chunk of plastic until now. Mike did something like two dozen different iterations and fine-tuning passes on the grip's design over the space of nine months, spent a week at the factory in China to fine-tune the materials in person, and took several trips to Arizona (all of which he had to burn vacation time at his day job to do) to coordinate things with Fangamer.

Cutting injection molds is crazy expensive, it turns out—five figures to create the mold alone, and that that's before you even get to manufacturing time and materials, international freight, customs, packaging, and shipping. The baseline campaign goal was pretty much a break-even proposition, with a little padding built in to account for "spoilage" or defects—the idea being that any profit on this venture would come from post-campaign sales. Since the campaign more than tripled our goal, all parties involved will get to take home a modest sum for their time and trouble once all campaign obligations are settled, but even then no one is getting rich from this project.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Shit is gonna really stand out in public lol
GOOD.

I'm in the US and mine was not in the bubble mailer. Wonder if its the difference between kickstarted and ordered directly though fangamer?
That's probably it, I ordered through Kickstarter.

I paid $15 and it's easily worth every penny. But then I'm a weirdo who likes supporting developers who make stuff I like.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
You mean right as in right or in correct? Lol
As in correct lol. I came this close to clarifying but figured it would only be more confusing. Look for the little credit card symbol on the back to tell which side, above the eject button.

Bc7uLwp.png

Oct 25, 2017
I just got mine in the mail today. I was a Kickstarter and also got the cute little cardboard package.

It's a wonderfully designed product that feels great and is made of good materials; it's far better quality than what I could print.

I am so grateful to be able to play vertical pinball more comfortably. Now I just hope there's enough of a market share out there that a case for it and the Switch together becomes a financial viability. I would LOVE to bust this thing out in public and carry it with my little case I have for the Switch.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
First game of Medieval Madness with Flip Grip and I comfortably beat my previous high score. Liking this a lot. Currently updating Namco Museum.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really jealous some of you have yours already.

Edit: heeeeey guess what actually came yesterday and my wife picked up and forgot to tell me about....

Last edited:

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Mine came in yesterday.

I... feel a bit embarrassed to say my Switch has yet to leave its retail box. I'll end up trying this thing out some day. lol

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone outside of the US get theirs yet? I'm in Australia and still eagerly waiting, but I suspect it'll be at least another week or so :(

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Received mine today. Wasn't expecting a little tiny box to fit in my mailbox. Unit is smaller than I expected but works wonderfully. I agree that it would be nice if there was a built-in home for the instruction card. Maybe that'll be addressed in a future revision. Regardless, excellent work Jeremy and Mike!

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. Why are people looking for a way to store the card on the grip itself. Who are these savages without a wallet?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Mine arrived and now I'm looking for something besides Ikaruga to try out.

What's the next best vertical shmup?

Is that Donkey Long game the same one on the NES online?

I wish we had Cave games on Switch

SoH

Oct 25, 2017

Gunbird? Probably Gunbird. Maybe Danmaku Unlimited 3. But don't take my word for it, I am a grouch on the current line up.

And Donkey Long is the arcade game. The NES game was adjusted for non-TATE and had a level cut so yeah, worth picking up the arcade version if interested.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Gunbird? Probably Gunbird. Maybe Danmaku Unlimited 3. But don't take my word for it, I am a grouch on the current line up.

And Donkey Long is the arcade game. The NES game was adjusted for non-TATE and had a level cut so yeah, worth picking up the arcade version if interested.
Lol Long whoops

Would you say Gunbird 1 or 2?

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Wait. Why are people looking for a way to store the card on the grip itself. Who are these savages without a wallet?
It's not about not having a wallet, it's about wanting to keep that cute instruction card nearby and not misplacing it.

The arcade version is the superior version. All others are inferior shadows.

I figured it out. I guess I wasn't pushing the card in far enough.. I guess it slides the card between the grip and the actual system
Yeah, if you try to put the card/kickstand in the FlipGrip by itself, it just flops out.

StealthieOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dfw
It's not about not having a wallet, it's about wanting to keep that cute instruction card nearby and not misplacing it.

The arcade version is the superior version. All others are inferior shadows.

Yeah, if you try to put the card/kickstand in the FlipGrip by itself, it just flops out.

What games are you playing that you use the grip

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Mine's been sitting in LA since the third. It's never getting to Ireland by Christmas, is it. :(

Gong

Oct 25, 2017
Postie just delivered the two I ordered, impressed with how quick they arrived here in Scotland. The packaging and quality of the actual grips are amazing and now I have so many great games to play as they were intended. Gonna start with Dragon Blaze and Ikaruga, what a treat!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Great little accessory, and as smooth a Kickstarter as I've ever seen. I was happy to back it. My right Joy-con doesn't lock in as securely as I would have liked, but it stays put. I pretty much did what I thought I'd do though... I played several games in tate mode for a bit, but because I don't like switching things all the time, I've defaulted to just playing in landscape with the smaller display again. LOL

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017

I've tweeted at Degica multiple times begging for them to consider porting some Cave titles to Switch. Would also be nice to get some classic Seibu shmups like Raiden 1&2 on Switch.