• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

killer7

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
you-no-way

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that really that big of a deal? Making some fake account that you gonna sign in once a year maybe? Its not like you are helping or giving FB anything in exchange for those, are you (i dont know)?

Missing on some cool vr exclusives because of this seems silly to me. Or is it that half of the people saying goodbye oculus are just trying to look cool anti plague corporation fucking facebook etc etc?

I mean, its still your choice and I am not mocking you or anything. I dont think oculus should have done something like this but its understandable.
You cannot make a fake account on FB. Also, you need a CC to buy games. Say you get caught. You'll be locked out of your games And have to send a REAL ID to get It back. They also require a phone number and ton of other personal shit, apparently. I have a quest. Sure I bought from Facebook, but I will not support that dumpster fire of a site. Oculus said you would NEVER have to get a Facebook account, and the requirement is not in the TOS. I'm wondering if they can even do this. I see a class action lawsuit in their future.

Last edited:

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
You cannot make a fake account on FB. Also, you need a CC to buy games. Say you get caught. You'll be locked out of your games And have to send a REAL ID to get It back. They also require a phone number and ton of other personal shit, apparently. I have a quest. Sure I bought from Facebook, but I will not support that dumpster fire of a site. Oculus said you would NEVER have to get a Facebook account, and the requirement is not in the TOS. I'm wondering if they can even do this. I see a class action lawsuit in their future.
I made one like a month ago i think. Didnt use tel nunber just another fake email account I think, dont know about Hardware register requirements though.

Well if they stated they you aint gonna need a fb account and its even in the user agreements and stuff, thats surely fucked up.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
yeah go fuck yourself. and no people shouldn't have to make a burner account to play their vr shit, they already had oculus accounts and it should have been fine

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Who on earth didn't see this coming? I'm surprised they're giving you till 2021

More likely that they their entire plan for VR from the get go was integrating it with social media. It's not like they're making bank off of just selling headsets.

Absolutely this. They are likely selling the Quest at a loss, but cornering the VR market means that maybe in the future Facebook can own and get the data on all the things strapped to peoples faces. :)

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I missing something? Are people saying fuck Facebook not realizing that all their data is pretty much property of Google and the internet anyways? Just make a VR-only profile without using it elsewhere.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely this. They are likely selling the Quest at a loss, but cornering the VR market means that maybe in the future Facebook can own and get the data on all the things strapped to peoples faces. :)
Yep. Those built in sensors used to feed them a stream of info about you every time you strap it on.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
But of course this was inevitable. Their surveillance data accumulation model doesn't function if they can't tie the data they gather back to a profile.

Folks should have seen this coming.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
All new oculus headsets to be built with eye scanners that can see into your brain and advertise what you're thinking.
Jokes on them, I don't think.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Well this makes it easier to narrow down my choice when I finally go in on VR next year.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, it was inevitable, no? I'm actually surprised it took this long considering they forced people to sign into FB to voice chat/invite to party.

I knew going into Rift S/Quest this was going to happen and ill go into Quest 2/Rift whatever being ok with it. It sucks, for sure. But, i mean, come on. It's like being mad that X or Y requires your sign in. FB's shit isn't the only shit that stinks.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeahhhhhh thankfully it says we can keep using it for 2 years before needing facebook, at which point I'll probably be content to move onto another headset and I'll absolutely never get an occulus again.

There is 0% chance of me making a facebook account. I'd sooner put the thing in the garbage

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Yesssssssss, thank god.

I've been wanting to link my Facebook to more things, it is so frustrating when you cannot use facebook everywhere. Such a clean and beautiful platform, I want to link it to everything!

I mean, it's not without merit.

Not replying maliciously, I just love this vid and It brings up a lot of reasons why people often dislike Facebook.

I would maybe stay on Facebook if it told me what my parents are doing. But its just my parents sharing old memes and political shit.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
A bit surprised that there are people purchasing 400 dollar Facebook hardware who are also vehemently anti-Facebook. Did some people just not know?

Nov 1, 2017
Interesting when they don't have that requirement for their other platforms i.e. Instagram, Giphy, and WhatsApp. I'm not really concerned though, if this account is really that big of an issue for people then either Facebook will make a case as to why they should pick Oculus or there will be other options out on the market.

gnoclaude

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
LMAO. I supported them until now. I will never buy another Oculus product or buy games off their store. See ya.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
A lot of people saying just make a dummy account and I've made plenty over the years but they all eventually get locked because Facebook wants your real identity. Imagine having to make new accounts over and over again to use shit you own.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Almost bought a Quest recently then decided I don't need VR in general yet. Will not consider Oculus in the future, I have never signed up for Facebook and given how snooping they are, will never do it.

JaggiBaggi

Nov 4, 2017
I've been pretty happy with my Quest up until now, not gonna lie. But guess this is pretty great news. I know I can stop buying VR games on the Oculus store, and when I should sell it to pay for a different headset.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's not happening.

And now I'm going to stop buying anything from the Oculus store and will look elsewhere for my next headset.

I can see from this thread I'm not alone.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I was thinking about upgrading from my Oculus R OG commercial release. I now know it's not going to be Oculus hardware.

That's unfortunate as they have fairly talented group of hardware folks as well as good set of exclusives.

This does reinforce my decision to buy all VR games on Steam vs Oculus except for a small handful of exclusives.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
You can make a fake Facebook account. However I doubt it will work very well here. They will require a payment method, probably matching address, etc....

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This brings me a lot of rage but at the same time I'm glad I never jumped ship to an oculus device besides my gen 1. Guess now if I ever get VR again it'll be Valve or HTC. Let's see what Valve does with VR 2.0

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Is that really that big of a deal? Making some fake account that you gonna sign in once a year maybe? Its not like you are helping or giving FB anything in exchange for those, are you (i dont know)?

Missing on some cool vr exclusives because of this seems silly to me. Or is it that half of the people saying goodbye oculus are just trying to look cool anti plague corporation fucking facebook etc etc?

I mean, its still your choice and I am not mocking you or anything. I dont think oculus should have done something like this but its understandable.
It's been known, and well documented for a long time, that Facebook build extensive "shadow profiles" of people who don't even have accounts, based on what they're able to gather from friends' posts and infer from various datasets they've bought and tracking they can perform via sites that embed their social widget.

Once they can combine that with your CC and phone number info they can build a very complete picture of your life by tie-ing it into yet more datasets they buy or lease access to, even if you think of it as a "dummy account" you never intend to use for social reasons. This data set in turn enables the kind of comprehensive manipulation that Facebook and companies like Cambridge Analytica are infamous for.

You may well think that a small price to pay for VR gaming. I absolutely don't, and think it's silly to dismiss those concerns when there are so many other viable VR platforms that aren't hooked into such a uniquely toxic and terrible company.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I may be out once the legacy accounts are forced into FB ones in 2023. I'm conflicted because they make great hw and are throwing tons into r&d for the mid to distant future for vr tech but I really don't like how FB scrapes data. I wouldn't be surprised if my non FB account is already data mined to hell and back by them at this point anyhow.

I'm really curious to see who else tries to compete with the Quest. I could definitely see Sony trying an all in one headset that also doubles as a wired/wireless solution for PS5 like the Quest does with Link. Make that thing also compatible with PC VR and I'm there in a flash.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
A bit surprised that there are people purchasing 400 dollar Facebook hardware who are also vehemently anti-Facebook. Did some people just not know?
Like all these responses in this thread are baffling to me. Do people not know they're supporting Facebook by even purchasing an Oculus device? Can someone explain this to me?

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
And that will be the point where I leave the Oculus ecosystem after supporting them since the DK1.

When FB bought Oculus in 2014, they explicitly said they would never require you to have a FB account for their devices. Funny how they switch their stance on this the moment one of their headsets is a breakout success.