• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Oculus will soon require all of its virtual reality headset users to sign up with a Facebook account. The Facebook-owned company says it will start removing support for separate Oculus accounts in October, although users can maintain an existing account until January 1st, 2023. All users can maintain a distinct "VR profile" with a separate friends list.

Starting later this year, you'll only be able to sign up for an Oculus account through Facebook. If you already have an account, you'll be prompted to permanently merge your account. If you don't, you'll be able to use the headset normally until 2023, at which point official support will end. Old headsets using non-linked accounts will still work, but some games and apps may no longer function. Developers can keep using an unlinked developer account without social functionality, and the Oculus for Business platform uses a separate login process that will remain unchanged.

Facebook also says that all future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook login, even if you've got a separate account already. The company is widely expected to announce a new version of its Oculus Quest headset this fall, and that policy would likely apply to it.

www.theverge.com

You’ll need a Facebook account to use future Oculus headsets

You can keep a separate “VR profile,” though.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I won't be buying another Oculus headset. Will probably sell off the Rift S soon. :/

Deleted member 76299

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
I mean, I feel like if you would spend money on a Facebook product you would have/wouldn't care about have an account.

or you severely misunderstand Facebook as a company 😅

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Should check out the HP Reverb G2. Looks to be a solid headset with better quality/features than the Rift, and higher resolution than the Index.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Facebook can enjoy my account with 0 friends, 0 personal info, and 0 activity on it all they want. Zero chance I'll actually interact with their shitty platform.

Or maybe I'll just switch to Valve's headset, will have to see. Right now it's just too expensive for not enough benefit for me.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, I feel like if you would spend money on a Facebook product you would have/wouldn't care about have an account.

or you severely misunderstand Facebook as a company 😅
Yeah this was a done deal assumption in my head when Facebook bought them. Sold my day 1 rift after trying it because I knew this was their future for VR. Though it's not the biggest deal I guess if you make a dummy Facebook account just for VR. But I still won't buy Oculus.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
This is what I feared but was told would never happen.

I do not use FB and will not. Ever.

So I'm glad I didn't buy in to Oculus and now I never will. Screw FB

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Wait whaaaat. That kinda sucks. Don't have a Facebook account and have just been using a Oculus account. I suppose that's the same thing at the end of the day.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I mean it sucks, but can't you just make a fake Facebook account? If you have an Oculus headset you already gave them money even without the Facebook account.

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
It was a matter of time until Zuck did this, that was the plan day 1 with the Oculus purchase years ago.

Even though I'm not fond of Facebook, everyone has to understand that they're making FB just a tad richer by buying Oculus hardware or using the app store. So, if by making a burner FB account for playing VR you think you're only now giving in to the corporate overlords... you've been doing this since you purchased your Oculus Quest.