• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WesleyShark

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
So are we certain this thing won't have a disc drive? Seems weird to go from One S with a 4K bluray drive to a Series S without. I remember 4K bluray + 1080p(ish) gaming being a major selling point of the One S.
Might be why they are keeping the One S around and in stock, for a cheap bluray player that is also a console. Series S supposedly doesn't do 4k, so why bother having a 4k bluray drive in it?

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure Xbox Series S will do well. Not sure why some people are crying over existence of this console when there is also Xbox Series X.
One will be ideal for casual and other for those that want power.
Look at Nintendo Switch, not even powerful but people love their games. Xbox Series S will be enough to play 3rd party popular titles and new games on 1080p.

Did you quote the wrong person or something? All I said was that 4TF RDNA2 should perform equivalent to a 6TF GCN card. I'm sure Series S will do well, it's a competent 1080p machine, but there is no need to throw around rubbish such as "it's equal to 7-8TF GCN" stated in your initial post. That is just clearly false.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
This video should be required viewing for anyone who wants to compare Series S's GPU power to that of the One X:

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
So are we certain this thing won't have a disc drive? Seems weird to go from One S with a 4K bluray drive to a Series S without. I remember 4K bluray + 1080p(ish) gaming being a major selling point of the One S.

Nobody knows, at least MS should have an answer if getting rid of the drive was a good idea or not thanks to their attempt with Xbox One SAD, even if you don't buy that many physical games like I do it is such a waste of feature for saving so little money, you can get what? less than a new next gen game ($70) with the amount you save, yet you are missing the ability to watch blu ray movies, playing the occasional game from a friend, buying and selling used games, and physical games always get so much cheaper and faster than digital.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the names are bad. Cause there's a One X and a One S. Not sure why they couldn't just call the something entirely different. The Series part is kinda lame.

AGN

Alt Account
Banned
May 13, 2020
People are also forgetting that the Series S will most likely upscale to 4k too. The X1X is going to be visually inferior to the Series S. There's no need for more concern.

Yeah, the names are bad. Cause there's a One X and a One S. Not sure why they couldn't just call the something entirely different. The Series part is kinda lame.

The names are fine. People are used to products having different versions....

hk6UmmA.png

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Might be why they are keeping the One S around and in stock, for a cheap bluray player that is also a console. Series S supposedly doesn't do 4k, so why bother having a 4k bluray drive in it?

The console will still be able to output 4K content like YouTube/Netflix. Removing the UHD drive doesn't preclude the system from outputting video or select games in 4K.

Green

Oct 27, 2017

The One S doesn't do 4K either and has the drive. Series S should be able to do 4K so long as it has a HDMI 1.4+ port.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
1) TF are absolutely stupid measure in general. It gets even more silly when people point out the "power ranking" here.
2) There is no reason to be so defensive about MS' naming scheme. It's awful and confusing. Couple in #1 and it gets even more confusing.
3) Very much looking forward to seeing the Xbox Series S details!
Sure. It's an objective thing where if people say the naming isn't an issue, they have to be defensive.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Also, is anyone else worried that these will be impossible to get? Old consoles are hard to find right now. I feel like the new ones will be sold out for months.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
1) TF are absolutely stupid measure in general. It gets even more silly when people point out the "power ranking" here.
2) There is no reason to be so defensive about MS' naming scheme. It's awful and confusing. Couple in #1 and it gets even more confusing.
3) Very much looking forward to seeing the Xbox Series S details!

It's not being defensive, I just don't understand why some people find it confusing. They're literally using the same naming scheme they've been using since 2017.

People understood that the One S was the cheap model and the One X was the premium model. It will be no different with the Series S and Series X.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sure. It's an objective thing where if people say the naming isn't an issue, they have to be defensive.

I don't think it's objective at all, but I see a lot of people being oddly defensive about the naming? Maybe I'm mis-reading it, but it really comes across that way. Some people are calling it "concern trolling", but I don't really see it. When other companies do similarly bad names, they were (rightfully) pointed out at the time as well (>new< 3DS, Wii U, etc.)

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder... if Halo Infinite will end up looking better on the One X than the Series S. Technically, the game doesn't look like it's doing anything that really takes advantage of next-gen features at launch, except pushing more pixels on the Series X.

So technically speaking, might we end up in a situation where the One X version runs at a higher resolution than on their Series S?

The raytracing patch adds a next-gen feature that won't be on last-gen, but yeah. At launch it'll be interesting.

i wouldnt be surprised if infinite is 30 fps campaign and 60 fps multiplayer on x1x (and base x1). so that alone would make the series s the better option (in addition to more obvious benefits) despite likely running at a lower res

Green

Oct 27, 2017
The One S *can* do 4k and will output 4k for video playback primarily. Thing of it is no game really goes past 1080p on One S sans for some very select games (DOOM64).

Oh interesting, I thought games were locked to sub-1080p on the One S. I knew that it can do 4K+HDR for video playback, that was a big selling point of the system for many.

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
When the new consoles will be here only 2 skus will matter:

Xbox Series S
XBox Series X

Just like last gen, the S is less powerful. End of story.
The games being compatible between Xbox One or Xbox Series is an added bonus.

iareec

Banned
Jul 19, 2020
Did you quote the wrong person or something? All I said was that 4TF RDNA2 should perform equivalent to a 6TF GCN card. I'm sure Series S will do well, it's a competent 1080p machine, but there is no need to throw around rubbish such as "it's equal to 7-8TF GCN" stated in your initial post. That is just clearly false.
My bad, saw to much sources that probably are wrong.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Another thing to consider is that the Xbox One X has been discontinued on top of already being sold out at many retailers for months. They won't be on store shelves come fall.

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if this leaking everywhere will force Microsoft to reveal the Series S sooner than planned?

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
I don't think it's objective at all, but I see a lot of people being oddly defensive about the naming? Maybe I'm mis-reading it, but it really comes across that way. Some people are calling it "concern trolling", but I don't really see it. When other companies do similarly bad names, they were (rightfully) pointed out at the time as well (>new< 3DS, Wii U, etc.)

As recently as last page you have people assembling lists of all Xbox One/Series consoles including 2 discontinued units and saying how it will be confusing for people trying to buy them. I don't know what else to call that. I'm not the biggest fan of the names either, but there is a difference between that saying consumers will have trouble discerning between them.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Oh interesting, I thought games were locked to sub-1080p on the One S. I knew that it can do 4K+HDR for video playback, that was a big selling point of the system for many.
Oh yeah lol it's not like the console is incapable it's just not capable of pushing a lot of pixels xD but the option is available for devs. You can see the Doom64 example I mentioned in this video

I am 100% positive the Series S and X will follow the same design philosophy. Let the devs choose what the system outputs :)

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen that but I'm sure those people are here. I just don't see an issue. I don't feel like people overall had an issue with the naming this gen.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The only potentially "confusing" part of MS' messaging is that the Xbox One set a precedent of the "S Model" being the standard/base, with the "X Model" serving the more powerful option for enthusiasts.

This gen the X is the standard model, and the S is a downstep option for more casual players or those who don't plan to jump to 4K.

But maybe they're banking on people thinking Series S = PS5 in all but price.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah lol it's not like the console is incapable it's just not capable of pushing a lot of pixels xD but the option is available for devs. You can see the Doom64 example I mentioned in this video

I am 100% positive the Series S and X will follow the same design philosophy. Let the devs choose what the system outputs :)

I will say I would be pretty ecstatic if the Series S could play my BC games at 4K, even if just the OG Xbox games.

I haven't seen that but I'm sure those people are here. I just don't see an issue. I don't feel like people overall had an issue with the naming this gen.

Yeah, and it's WAY less confusing than talking about Xbox One VS Xbox 1/OG consoles/games. That's the real confusing naming scheme, in my opinion. But that differentiation only really occurs during enthusiast discussion so its a non-issue and has been.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
The only potentially "confusing" part of MS' message is that the Xbox One set a precedent of the "S Model" being the standard/base, with the "X Model" serving the more powerful option for enthusiasts.

This gen the X is the standard model, and the S is a downstep option for more casual players or those who don't plan to jump to 4K.

But maybe they're banking on people thinking Series S = PS5 in all but price.
Ah, never considered that. Perhaps it's that the X is the more 'powerful' version? Because that applies to both Series X and X1X.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I do like the names Microsoft chose, but i also think they will have a bit of problems with it.

Xbox One S
Xbox Series S

As someone who is not so involved into gaming, how exactly are you supposed to tell the difference? While i also find many other names confusing, like iPhone names, but at least you have a number to go with it 10->11 and so on.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't get all those talks on power and such since One X can't run next-gen games anyway while Series S can.
To clarify: CPU and RDNA 2.0 hardware graphical features is why the X1X can't. Later on: probably the SSD and the full suite of Velocity Architecture. Also, 4TF in the RDNA 2.0 architecture is about the same or greater than the TF in the X1X.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: oh nvm apparently from looted Best Buy, not going to get involved in that.

I imagine they'll be releasing real soon anyway if stores are getting them in stock.

Last edited:

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To clarify: CPU and RDNA 2.0 hardware graphical features is why the X1X can't. Also, 4TF in the RDNA 2.0 architecture is about the same or greater than the TF in the X1X.
For optimized next gen game yeah. But what about Xbox one S/X games. Série S will run them like one S? One X? Middle ?