• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Xbox Series X
Xbox Series S

On what earth is that not nearly identical. There is a one letter difference. If you even have a slight accent or don't enunciate it properly that X is gonna sound like an S and vice versa. It's going to be confusing.

God, it's like half of you guys get brain rot or some shit once you start talking about new consoles.
Everyone has cell phones with 2-5 different versions of the same device and it's fine.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Almost every product has tiers from toilet paper to phones to houses to travel packages. If consumers get it wrong then it's on them.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
If Microsoft is really discontinuing their current gen consoles then confusion averted?

...or not

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
That's not entirely true. I can't remember if the "Core" version was explicitly labeled, but the Arcade version was, which released in 2007.

I was talking about the HDD-equipped models. It was "Xbox 360" and "Xbox 360 Core," then "Xbox 360" and "Xbox 360 Arcade." The standard HDD-equipped Xbox 360 was never officially labeled "Pro" or "Premium" or whatever (until the separate "Elite" model came out). It was just "Xbox 360."

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Xbox Series X
Xbox Series S

On what earth is that not nearly identical. There is a one letter difference. If you even have a slight accent or don't enunciate it properly that X is gonna sound like an S and vice versa. It's going to be confusing.

God, it's like half of you guys get brain rot or some shit once you start talking about new consoles.

Yes, everyone knows the intense confusion people get between the iPhone 11 and the iPhone 11 Pro and the iPhone 11 Pro Max. Or how folks recoil in shock at the Pixel 4 and the Pixel 4a.

Nonsense :)

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Xbox Series X
Xbox Series S

I mean it's not an issue now. They have the Xbox One X and One S currently on the market. Next gen is keeping the same naming scheme. Seems less confusing to people already familiar with the current gen. I know lots of parents who have gotten their kids the One S for Minecraft etc who didn't want to get them the high end X model. I'm sure when they go into the store for the *new Xbox* they'll see the same naming scheme and understand. It also helps that Apple uses a similar S naming scheme for their less powerful phones which everyone understands.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Xbox Series X
Xbox Series S

literally tons of (very successful) products are like this though

Mercedes-Benz C-Class
Mercedes-Benz E-Class
omg they're only one letter apart, they even sound the same

Tesla Model S
Tesla Model X

Xbox One S
Xbox One X

iPhone XR
iPhone XS
omg they're only one letter apart

Nov 2, 2019
The concern levels people have over naming are ridiculous. Like, if you're confused about Series X vs Series S, how do you leave the house and function in society. Do you freeze up at the store when you see Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Cherry Coke? Are you just dumbfounded when you go to a Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, or Apple store and see 2-3 different variants of phones and just stare blankly into the sales reps face? I can imagine the people fainting over the the choice of a Ford F150 vs F250 vs F350 at the dealership.

I know the average person isn't that smart but FFS. I honestly can't tell if I'm going crazy. There will be only 2 Xbox consoles for sale this fall. You will be bombarded by marketing and commercials to let you know that all Xbox games will be playable on any new system. I remember the Xbox One reveal. People were like, "what if they think it's the first Xbox and not there newest?!"

Last edited:

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
I don't like the Series name, but this is essentially the last couple of pages...like c'mon

4aytow.jpg

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
If the Series S is $199, what does that drop the One S to? $99? From the $299 it is currently? That seems severe.

which is actually true.
Ideally the One S would also be removed from the lineup as soon as possible because it does not make sense to have it around for 1-2 years (or as long as cross gen games last) because of costs of producing, warehousing/transport and what not...

But the fact that One S is still around for unknown time/reasons makes XSS at 199 near impossible

Nov 2, 2019
I haven't seen a Xbox One S in any Target or Walmart here in months. With them already being discontinued, they'll be off any remaining shelves before the X and S arrive. It's a non-issue. If there is any remaining stock, and someone who worked at Target around the One launch, they get moved to the back or clearanced out in anothet section.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen a Xbox One S in any Target or Walmart here in months. With them already being discontinued, they'll be off any remaining shelves before the X and S arrive. It's a non-issue. If there is any remaining stock, and someone who worked at Target around the One launch, they get moved to the back or clearanced out in anothet section.
X1S isnt being discontinued. Only SAD and X1X

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People making pie-in the sky posts about a $200 SeS reminds me of when everyone was so sure the One SAD was going to be $100-150 because they gravely over-estimated how much a Blu-Ray drive costed. This thing's effectively a replacement for the One X in terms of power, it's probably going to be priced at $400, especially if the One S is sticking around a couple more years.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Quit with this absolute nonsense concern trolling on X|S branding.

Apple marketed iPhones and iPhone S products for several years. They briefly tried XS, and XR. They're onto using SE, Pro and Pro Max (?) now. Google Pixel has a 3 and 3a, 4 and 4a. Samsung has Galaxy S10, S10e and S10+. I'm sure there are countless other examples of this. None of the above is that intuitive, but I doubt any of them suffered because of it. Even calling something "Pro" does not tell us in what ways the product is better. Consumers will always need to take the step to educate themselves on the purchase.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Series S is $399 I bet. No way is it $200.

I think it'll be $299 and the Series X will be $499, the same price points that the One S and One X sold at for years.

Maybe, maybe, there will be a special SKU without a controller available on Xbox.com for $249 or something. I agree that $199 is a pipe dream.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Accidentally bought a $499 console even though I wanted a cheaper option because I was confused by two letters.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
🙄
the names aren't confusing at all. most people weren't born yesterday, and are used to much more confusing naming schemes for the devices they use. xb1 is being phased out, so you have two options. a higher end one (series x) and a lower end option (series s). consumers will be just fine figuring out which one is right for them and which one they're buying.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I don't know how i feel about this, how is this console going to run games in a few years if PS5 and SX start using lower resolutions? eg 4k upscaling? Which is genuine concern if yesterday's post about RE8 is legit.

On the other hand, its going to be cool to have as a 2nd console and I don't think the name is confusing, if you're spending 100's then I'd assume you have done a bit of research.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
🙄
the names aren't confusing at all. most people weren't born yesterday, and are used to much more confusing naming schemes for the devices they use. xb1 is being phased out, so you have two options. a higher end one (series x) and a lower end option (series s). consumers will be just fine figuring out which one is right for them and which one they're buying.

the fact you are having to say this is embarrassing. Especially for this forum.

the people writing the stuff about naming can't be actually serious, I don't think.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
🙄
Even the naming isn't that important. They'll discontinue the 1S and leave only 2 options: one cheap, one more expensive.

WE'LL NEED A HARVARD GRADUATE TO DECIPHER THIS ONE...

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
I love it when someone says "People that go into retail won't know which console to buy!" – I hear that a lot on some gaming podcasts, too.
Do those people forget that there are retail workers there you can ask? If you don't ask them, they can't help you.

I'm curious about the Series S, if it plays the 4K 60 stuff of the Series X in 1080p 60 I'll get that one.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
I love it when someone says "People that go into retail won't know which console to buy!" – I hear that a lot on some gaming podcasts, too.
Do those people forget that there are retail workers there you can ask? If you don't ask them, they can't help you.

I'm curious about the Series S, if it plays the 4K 60 stuff of the Series X in 1080p 60 I'll get that one.

Those people claiming this maybe never went to the TV section of a Media Markt or so...They would be very confused to see more than one Samsung TV displayed...LoL

Nov 1, 2017
Nintendo's shit advertising positioned the Wii U like the tablet was the main part. Didn't help that the Wii U console was so similar in design that you would not be that far off to assume the Wii U was just like the Xbox 360 + Kinect or PS3 + Move bundles. Just a Wii with a tablet.

Wii also already had the Udraw tablet from THQ as a successful accessory, so there was already plenty going wrong with that branding decision.

Xbox is completely different as there is no "One" branding with the Series line. It would be like people getting confused over Xbox 360 and Xbox One, which doesn't happen.

The conditions around Wii to Wii U and Xbox One X/S to Xbox Series X/S are completely different.

I wish there was a way for this post to be automatically displayed underneath every single concern troll that trots out the tired "Confusion" line cause god damn i am sick of seeing it.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
if a customer can walk in and want to buy a ps5 and see two different price tags and ask....

"what's the ps5AD?"

"well, they both play the exact same games but this one doesn't have a disk drive to play games from disk"

they sure as hell can understand - "this one plays all the same games but it's made for people with 1080p TVs"

something across those lines.

people try to make things complicated

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, everyone knows the intense confusion people get between the iPhone 11 and the iPhone 11 Pro and the iPhone 11 Pro Max. Or how folks recoil in shock at the Pixel 4 and the Pixel 4a.

Nonsense :)
There are plenty off people who don't know the difference between models like that. But in reality the biggest factor for those people will be price. If they both play the same games they most likely aren't going to care and just get their kid the new Xbox For Christmas.

also as someone who hasn't been following the pixel phones I literally couldn't tell you which is better between the pixel 4 and 4a.