• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How is a next-gen SKU such an enigma this close to launch. Will XSX launch by itself? Have developers even started developing for XSS yet?
I have no doubt about the appearance of executives from EA/Ubisoft/Anapurna to explain how scaling is costless and effortless as a single recompiling in Visual Studio, but I am not excepting the same enthusiasm outside after the reveal, at least for what it implies on details for studios and creatives.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I'll be getting a Series X, but I just don't know if I like all of this stuff being on the market at the same time.
At least one of those are no longer on the market. I thought about the One S stopping production sooner than later but since Series S won't have a disc drive it might be a good thing for a cheaper Xbox console with a disc drive to stick around for now.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
sony can't undercut xss. it's probably going to be xss $399, ps5 $499, xsx $599.
Sony can't "undercut" it in the traditional sense, but they can sure make it a hard bargain. If the XSS is even within an earshot of a PS5DE (say, around $100 or so) then it makes the whole thing more difficult.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Wii
Wii U

Confusion is never a good thing with your consumers.

I've had a lot of push back on this over the past few months. I just do not think this naming convention works. We are not the average consumer. I just don't see these boxes getting into your average households. I also see some major Christmas confusion from parents that just don't know what to get.

Dhruvenator

Aug 29, 2019
MS is waiting for Sony to announce price before they announce Series S publicly. That is their Ace in the hole and it seems Sony knows this.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony waits it out and MS is forced to spit out their best offer, then Sony adjusts their price to ensure MS is stuck with the luxury model and the weaker one either isn't winning in price or value judgment won't be worth the reduced specs.

If anyone still thinks Lockhart/Series S isn't a lock, then let this dissuade any doubts - MS is waiting on the announce to try and sandwich Sony into a difficult spot.
What logic is this? Sony is the only that has announced both of it's SKUs so it has more pressure to announce pricing for both. "Forced to spit out" what

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda interesting seeing this high-stakes game of Chicken with the pricing strategy. I'm fairly confident this has to be the main reason why MS is silent on this, despite it being an open secret for almost 2 years.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Sigh, another gen of shitty xbox buttons confirmed then.
I love the Xbox controllers, the best for my tastes, but those fucking buttons man... I fucking hate playing sport games with them.

Crawl

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me why microsoft ruined their again - when they got it right last gen?

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
If the controller is available does this make it more likely that it's gonna be like an iPhone drop. Revealed and released in quick succession. I know there was a rumour that they planned to release in August before Covid.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Quite a few white robots out there.

images
b7b39e8dbd8649056c076c2b8b73b1a6.jpg

Ah yes ok, I get Robot now. I literally just thought of metal and silver.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
sony can't undercut xss. it's probably going to be xss $399, ps5 $499, xsx $599.
PS5's BOM is around $450. Take out the disc drive and you can shave $50 off that bad boy and sell it for $399. Which is why they're probably aiming for Series S to be $349 or $299 without the controller, because you can't price the Lockhart that close to PS5 and expect it to look like good value proposition.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
They had a chance to pick another letter this time. It's baffling to continue using S because of the precedent even though it sounds so much like X.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
PS5's BOM is around $450. Take out the disc drive and you can shave $50 off that bad boy and sell it for $399. Which is why they're probably aiming for Series S to be $349 or $299 without the controller, because you can't price the Lockhart that close to PS5 and expect it to look like good value proposition.

You think there will only be a $50 difference between a 4tf S and a 10tf PS5?

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the series s is just a all digital version of series x, now that I think about it

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Is Lockart the digital version of Series X, or something completely different?
From the original rumors, it's a weaker-spec machine that will still be a next-gen SKU (however it is very likely to be digital-only as well).

MS is looking at it like the PC market, XSX will be your top-of-the-line model, but Lockhart will still play the same games, just with reduced settings likely.