• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
You mean the guy who constantly criticises major Sony dev studios for their working conditions with scathing articles / tweets? What an embarrassing take. Maybe you are the biased one?

You mean the guy who essentially beat the drum for marketing after the Cerny PS5 reveal? The one that associated a discless PS5 with lockheart and how Sony "beat them to the punch"? That guy?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This is not a great example. Lockhart is meant to play every single game that Series X is right? Switch not the case.
Yeah, using the Switch as an argument is not the best thing to do.

Especially because alot of times for the high profile games it's a port. And not all that great.

That's supposed to be different than what MS is supposed to be doing. So if we gonna use the Switch for comparisons, that means LH games will be ports?

Or games designed specifically for LH?

Why are people worried about how Lockhart will perform in a world where MS will bet putting games on the Xbox One for at least another two years? It will be fine.

And should be cheap enough to take the more affordable position once the Xbone is discontinued.

This is true.
Then compare with PCs and how one expensive gpu will allow you to play in 4k with a cheap one for 1080p, its no different.

Ok, now what's the minimum requirement for the game....because when I see PC get bought up in these topics, no one really talks about every PC game having a minimum requirement.

So, what's gonna be the minimum requirement for Xbox games?

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Lockhart is probably the most interesting of all the next gen SKUs, it'll definitely make DF videos more interesting. I doubt MS would release a SKU that wasn't able to run next gen games properly.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
So Lockhart has 50% more RAM than the One S and Series has 50% more RAM than the One X. Not sure if that's even a meaningful comparison but it's interesting nonetheless.
You might want to calculate those again, though memory bandwidth isn't taken into account with those numbers.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so according to you having less ram isn't a problem. So why is the purpose of more Ram on the new consoles? Why are Sony and Microsoft doubling down on SSD tech as virtual memory in Next-Gen?

Remember some devs had problems with the low memory available on PS4 and Xbox One. And the base PS4 was using around 5gb of memory for games.

Here the Delta is big between the Lockhart and the Series X and the Lockhart can only use 7,5 gb apparently. It's just 2,5 gb more than the base PS4 to handle all Next-Gen games in the future.

If the XSX is pushing a 4K asset and the Lockhart is pushing a 1/4 quality version of the same asset, the Lockhart wouldnt need as much RAM to do the job within the same time constraints.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This forum carefully ignoring that I also mentioned PCs with multiple GPUs not holding back PC gaming for decades is also oversimplifying things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

People always forget this. 80% of the PC gaming market has a PC with weaker specs than a PS4 Pro. Multiplatform games (especially in modern engines) are made to be scaled across a multitude of hardware configurations. There are also a multitude of tricks like dynamic resolution scaling that didn't exist just a few years ago.

Next gen games will run absolutely fine on Lockheart. MS hardware and software engineers aren't stupid.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Seems different to me. Microsoft is basically exploiting the fact that a good chunk of silicon is being used solely to hit 4k and allowing people that don't want 4k (or don't care) to save money. The goal will be to deliver true next gen graphics. Wii was barely more powerful than GameCube from what I remember.

Nintendo also understood that much of the computing power was spent simply to reach HD, with most people playing on a CRT TV. And that much of the public cared little or nothing for that. The reading is exactly the same.

Of course, there is a difference in relation to the number of third-party releases that any Nintendo platform receives, but the idea of a lower version of current games for those who care little is a Nintendo concept. It comes from the Wii and is on the Switch too.

And I think it is a very interesting strategy if well constructed. We've already seen that it works. Just don't see all this news that a lot of people preach.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It may be a hot take, but I think having to develop for such a low denominator may cause a few third parties to skip the new Xbox family altogether if it doesn't have a VERY strong install base. I mean, they've been ignoring the Switch for a while even with it being an undeniable success.
Lol. Imagine comparing Lockhart to Switch specs.

BTW, for all the people looking at the raw TF number, 4TF of RDNA 2 is better than 6TF of GCN. Plus the cpu is way better than the jaguars in the One X (the biggest bottleneck).

Xbox Series X games are going to scale quite nicely to Lockhart.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe I'm STILL reading people talking about how the Series S Lockhart will hold back games, or that its slower than an xbox one X. Lockhart will have the same CPU (slightly slower but that's ok due to decreased workload), the same SSD speed (though size may be smaller), same memory speed (though smaller size, again ok due to decreased memory footprint of not hitting 4k resolution as that takes up a large whack of vram) and 4tf RDNA 2 GPU (which is more than enough to handle a 4k game at 1080p or a 1440p game at checker board).

The fact I'm still seeing people say "its only 4tf? But the One X was 6tf, this thing is shit!" shows just how little people know not just about how development processes work, but also how hardware configurations work. The hardware inside the Lockhart is leaps and bounds better than the One X, its a full generation ahead.

If MS release this as a 1080p equivalent of the Series X, maybe with a few bells and whistles turned off (likely ray tracing but hey, we have no idea), and give this a decent price... This thing WILL sell stupidly good. A lot of people don't have a 4k TV set, and this year money has hit them hard. The choice of a $400/$450/$500 console OR a machine that does the same stuff at the max res their TV supports for nearly half the price...? That's an utterly INSANE deal.

I'm likely going to pick one up just for the bedroom to replace my One X, and my Series X will go alongside my Switch/PS5 in the living room.

And I'm telling you now... If the actual final design some how ends up being that damn white cube that's been floating around... I may even pick up another one just for the damn sheer sexiness of it.

Sorry but there are few people in the world I would listen to less than Jason Schreier. The guy bleeds Playstation, and is about as biased as they come, its bad.

More people like you should be posting on these threads.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
Yeah
The rumoured Series S GPU is much better than the One X GPU!

Yeah much better with the improvements through the architecture changes. I realize Lockhart will run games better than the One X overall.

I am speaking specifically about back compat Xbox One X enhanced titles. Do we know if it will run an unpatched game like RDR2 in 4K like it was on my One X.

If back compat mode doesn't require any extra resources to run, you would still need the 4TF RDNA to consistently hit a 1.5x performance improvement to reach 6TF of GCN. I don't know if that was the case with the current RDNA 1.0 cards.

Oct 25, 2017
You mean the guy who essentially beat the drum for marketing after the Cerny PS5 reveal? The one that associated a discless PS5 with lockheart and how Sony "beat them to the punch"? That guy?

There's a lot of concern trolling and FUD in this thread regarding Lockhart "holding back" next gen, but let's not drag Jason's name through the mud. He's a fantastic journalist and one of, if not the best, in the gaming industry.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
So, I can play next gen games on this, but at reduced fidelity, resolution and frame rate. That's about the size of it, yes?

There's no catch all answer to this but the general rule of thumb is that it *should* be easier for this machine to hit a 1080p target than the Series X to hit a 4k target, and so I would be surprised if it had frame rate issues. Fidelity is obviously a game by game basis. There is some obvious concern about what if a game is only 1080p on the Series X, and for that, I have no actual answer. That's a possible situation for a game to be in, as its not mandated the games MUST be 4k on Series X. In that case, they would certainly need to butcher the game somewhat to work on the Series S.

But we are talking games VERY few and far between for that. I would imagine that games will be 1440p/1600p on PS5 and then 4k on Series X for the same title, and in that case, the Series S would happily play them at 1080p. If a multiplatform game hits 4k on PS5, it will easily hit 1080p on a Series S.

So those situations where it would have to go below 1080p should be very, very rare.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
People always forget this. 80% of the PC gaming market has a PC with weaker specs than a PS4 Pro. Multiplatform games (especially in modern engines) are made to be scaled across a multitude of hardware configurations. There are also a multitude of tricks like dynamic resolution scaling that didn't exist just a few years ago.

Next gen games will run absolutely fine on Lockheart. MS hardware and software engineers aren't stupid.
To play devil's advocate though, I think devs are much more willing to drop support for older PC configs than they would weaker console hardware. That said, I think the hypothetical Lockhart was carefully designed so as not to impair any aspect of new games aside from rendering resolution and texture quality. Hence the same SSD and overall architecture. It's a strategy we haven't seen yet in the console space, but definitely have in the mobile space

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
There's a lot of concern trolling and FUD in this thread regarding Lockhart "holding back" next gen, but let's not drag Jason's name thru the mud. He's a fantastic journalist and one of, if not the best, in the gaming industry.

Lockheart is not the one who will hold back the development of the generation. Absolutely.

Those responsible for this will be the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Pro, Xbox One X, PC and especially the Xbox One S.

Microsoft's idea that games will have to be available on all of its platforms (at least for the next 2 years) is clear that the Xbox One HDD and 1.2TFlops will determine the limit of all games in that period.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
At that time Nintendo declared (I think it was the Iwata) that people were still switching from CRT TVs to HD TVs (plasma and LCD). Most people still used SD screens and to force HD at that time would leave a huge portion of the audience without access, or with limited content.

Then they launched the Wii SD, with a low price and high accessibility with an eye on expanding the audience and capturing those users who would not migrate at that time to the HD monitors.

And I see Lockheart repeat that idea, but with HD and 4K TVs.

Most of what you say is just iwata making excuses as to why they never chose 2 of the other possible skus they had as potential Wii skus.

Wii was saved by it's core concepts more than gc/dolphin architecture performance abilities.

Gameplay matters more than graphcis you'd think minecraft and gta would be permanent reminders of that.

Those responsible for this will be the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Pro, Xbox One X, PC and especially the Xbox One S.

Devs making certain PS5 ports won't really be considering non spec compliant machines if we are talking pc
3rd parties making next gen ports aren't ditching current audience capable of some titles just because they lack SSD
3rd parties in some big titles will eventually give no fucks about ancient platter hard drive users.
Titles built for current and next gen were never going to advantage of next gen Io features so you're stuck in the same boat as high end pc users are, welcome to the club

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yeah

Yeah much better with the improvements through the architecture changes. I realize Lockhart will run games better than the One X overall.

I am speaking specifically about back compat Xbox One X enhanced titles. Do we know if it will run an unpatched game like RDR2 in 4K like it was on my One X.

If back compat mode doesn't require any extra resources to run, you would still need the 4TF RDNA to consistently hit a 1.5x performance improvement to reach 6TF of GCN. I don't know if that was the case with the current RDNA 1.0 cards.
That's a good question. The CPU is going to be leaps and bounds better than the Xbox One X though, so perhaps that will aid in 360 emulation?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
So the game just won't work on HDD? Doubting that.
Oh, that will definitely happen, and probably sooner rather than later, now that console games are being built specifically for SSD.

As for Lockhart, I'm still not convinced that it is what people think it is. Wake me up when they actually announce something.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think you understand what will happen.

The Series S will essentially play Series X games, with very little changes most of the time, other than being in 1080p. 4k takes a HUGE chunk of vram compared to 1080p, so right away you save a massive chunk of memory cost there. It will essentially be a Series X at 1080p max, but for a cheaper price. If you can't see why that would be insanely popular A) at this moment in time and B) for the vast majority of people who only have 1080p sets, then I don't know what to tell you.

The way I'm reading people talk here is almost like you think the Series S will render at 900p and disable most settings/reduce textures etc. That's a solution to get a Series X game on the One X, not the Series S (if the conversion would allow anyway).

As for developers having an issue: From what I heard from my friends who work on actual games that release and don't sit in a bedroom someplace, the reason it would be a concern is that it essentially creates another avenue for testing and QA. I have no friends with direct knowledge of the system existing sadly, as my friends work for "the enemy" lol, but its no more a head ache development wise than it has been on PC for, well, ever. Only now, you need a massive QA step between the Series X and Series S to make sure both work. THAT is the head ache.
Hey look a real dev.

denseWorm

Banned
May 15, 2020
I've seen a few different people say tflops are a pointless measure of power.. this use of a buzzword feels like a bit of an insult on our connective intelligence

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Lockheart is not the one who will hold back the development of the generation. Absolutely.

Microsoft's idea that games will have to be available on all of its platforms (at least for the next 2 years) is clear that the Xbox One HDD and 1.2TFlops will determine the limit of all games in that period.
They didn't say this.

UnsungKing

Dec 31, 2019
Fanboys love to follow an ignorant narrative when it suits their bias. This won't have an impact on next gen games just like pc's with lower specs don't. Series S users will play at 1080p. It's not that hard to understand. The price is the point we should be talking about. It needs to be at least $50 to $100 cheaper than the all digital PS to have an impact. Parents will eat it up around Christmas time.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Most of what you say is just iwata making excuses as to why they never chose 2 of the other possible skus they had as potential Wii skus.

Wii was saved by it's core concepts more than gc/dolphin architecture performance abilities.

Gameplay matters more than graphcis you'd think minecraft and gta would be permanent reminders of that.

"Gameplay matters more than graphcis". For a lot of people this is absolutely true.

So that strategy worked for the Wii and has the potential to work for Lockheart.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire

In a lot of ways, I don't see that even as a bad thing. Gives PC a chance to get around to upgrading, gives hardware a chance to mature, and gives developers a chance to get to grips with the machine for real experiences.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I wonder how much better Halo Infinite could be if they had the guts to release it only on their next-gen consoles.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017

Nine_Ball

Jun 12, 2020
Won't MS and 3rd parties putting their games on PC potentially limit themselves more than Lockhart?

I'd say Multiplaform Publishers are all mostly targeting PC with consoles anyway so it's not even a question. Most of the PC's today have far less capabilities than the Lockhart rumored Specs.

One interesting thing is that Microsoft's First Party Studios will have for at least 2 years to release their games on Xbox One S, One X, (maybe Lockhart), Xbox Series X and PC.
When Sony's internal Studios will only have to target the PS5.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
They didn't say this.

Microsoft says Xbox Series X won't have exclusive first-party games at launch

According to Microsoft Studios head Matt Booty, who spoke with UK gaming site MCV, "over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices," Booty said. "We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we're committed to them with content." This does seem to imply that there will be a point at which new first-party Xbox games designed for the Series X won't run on the standard Xbox One, but that would appear to be a ways out after launch.

Or I got it wrong?

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
When this things come out, it will be interesting how well MSFT markets the two boxes. Technically, both are excellent on paper for their targetted TV's, but how that is communicated to the public will be an interesting story to follow.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Hey look a real dev.

I've worked on games that released at retail, yes, and understand the core concepts of things in this regard. But now I'm an indie dev with no access to any of these consoles, so everything I say is pure speculation.

However, I do have contacts with people I worked with previously. Sadly I can't post anything concrete about Lockhart, as my contacts are all on Sony products.

Danny Eight

Banned
Jun 24, 2020
I'd say Multiplaform Publishers are mostly targeting PC mainly so it's not even a question. Most of the PC's today have far less capabilities than the Lockhart rumored Specs.

One interesting thing is that Microsoft's First Party Studios will have for at least 2 years to release their games on Xbox One S, One X, (maybe Lockhart), Xbox Series X and PC.
When Sony's internal Studios will only have to target the PS5.
I don't believe in '2' years. I think we'll see the first next gen only games in late 2021.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Still think it's a big assumption. I don't think most PC gamers think of their hard drive as a limiting factor on whether or not they can play a game.

Isn't the Medium dev out there touting the power of the XSX SSD? That would require an even faster subclass of SSD.
He is talking about SSD in general.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe I'm STILL reading people talking about how the Series S Lockhart will hold back games, or that its slower than an xbox one X. Lockhart will have the same CPU (slightly slower but that's ok due to decreased workload), the same SSD speed (though size may be smaller), same memory speed (though smaller size, again ok due to decreased memory footprint of not hitting 4k resolution as that takes up a large whack of vram) and 4tf RDNA 2 GPU (which is more than enough to handle a 4k game at 1080p or a 1440p game at checker board).

I would think the SSD would be slower as it only has to fill 8gb in the same time XSX has to fill 16.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I've worked on games that released at retail, yes, and understand the core concepts of things in this regard. But now I'm an indie dev with no access to any of these consoles, so everything I say is pure speculation.

However, I do have contacts with people I worked with previously. Sadly I can't post anything concrete about Lockhart, as my contacts are all on Sony products.
No problems. Insights from people who make games are always good to see here.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I really don't think you understand what will happen.

The Series S will essentially play Series X games, with very little changes most of the time, other than being in 1080p. 4k takes a HUGE chunk of vram compared to 1080p, so right away you save a massive chunk of memory cost there. It will essentially be a Series X at 1080p max, but for a cheaper price. If you can't see why that would be insanely popular A) at this moment in time and B) for the vast majority of people who only have 1080p sets, then I don't know what to tell you.

The way I'm reading people talk here is almost like you think the Series S will render at 900p and disable most settings/reduce textures etc. That's a solution to get a Series X game on the One X, not the Series S (if the conversion would allow anyway).

As for developers having an issue: From what I heard from my friends who work on actual games that release and don't sit in a bedroom someplace, the reason it would be a concern is that it essentially creates another avenue for testing and QA. I have no friends with direct knowledge of the system existing sadly, as my friends work for "the enemy" lol, but its no more a head ache development wise than it has been on PC for, well, ever. Only now, you need a massive QA step between the Series X and Series S to make sure both work. THAT is the head ache.
Yup. Great post. Based on what devs have said in private their biggest concerns are increasing the QA testing for two profiles of the same game. Nobody has said a peep about Lockhart holding things back with the Series X.

Last edited: