• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I can't believe I'm STILL reading people talking about how the Series S Lockhart will hold back games, or that its slower than an xbox one X. Lockhart will have the same CPU (slightly slower but that's ok due to decreased workload), the same SSD speed (though size may be smaller), same memory speed (though smaller size, again ok due to decreased memory footprint of not hitting 4k resolution as that takes up a large whack of vram) and 4tf RDNA 2 GPU (which is more than enough to handle a 4k game at 1080p or a 1440p game at checker board).

The fact I'm still seeing people say "its only 4tf? But the One X was 6tf, this thing is shit!" shows just how little people know not just about how development processes work, but also how hardware configurations work. The hardware inside the Lockhart is leaps and bounds better than the One X, its a full generation ahead.

If MS release this as a 1080p equivalent of the Series X, maybe with a few bells and whistles turned off (likely ray tracing but hey, we have no idea), and give this a decent price... This thing WILL sell stupidly good. A lot of people don't have a 4k TV set, and this year money has hit them hard. The choice of a $400/$450/$500 console OR a machine that does the same stuff at the max res their TV supports for nearly half the price...? That's an utterly INSANE deal.

I'm likely going to pick one up just for the bedroom to replace my One X, and my Series X will go alongside my Switch/PS5 in the living room.

And I'm telling you now... If the actual final design some how ends up being that damn white cube that's been floating around... I may even pick up another one just for the damn sheer sexiness of it.

Sorry but there are few people in the world I would listen to less than Jason Schreier. The guy bleeds Playstation, and is about as biased as they come, its bad.
It won't sell stupidly good if it doesn't have graphics and games people really want. Price don't sell, games and graphics do.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
This doesn't mean Lockhart's going to be some big problem, I don't expect it typically will be. But deferring to Switch ports is massively oversimplifying things.
This forum carefully ignoring that I also mentioned PCs with multiple GPUs not holding back PC gaming for decades is also oversimplifying things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Thanks Gavin, someone gets it :)

The sources that talk about the developers concern in your own article don´t get it then ?
So why would even use them on your article ?

This forum carefully ignoring that I also mentioned PCs with multiple GPUs not holding back PC gaming for decades is also oversimplifying things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And why would even talk about it if this is known how it works for decades ?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Would you agree the following?

- for third party/mulitiplatform this is an almost non-issue. It is an additional SKU to support, but devs will already be having scalable engines including lower spec PC than Lockhart so should not impact the technical scope of the games here.

- for MS first party, similar issue - they're also making all first party games avaialble on PC so will need to be scalable. Lockhart doesn't hold back what XSX will do, because they're already designing for lower specced PCs

- for Sony first party - they are less held back here. They can target the specs of PS5 solely and not have to make anything scalable. Its IMO unlikely to mean significant differences, but there may be some advantages for their teams being able to focus on a more narrow target for delivery.
Makes sense.

With what MS is doing nothing is gonna be held back. Makes the Booty quote make more sense too.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I know. My point was specifically in reference to the guy saying Lockhart wouldn't be getting the benefits on backwards compability that the One X currently gets. Its a more powerful device so it should at least have parity across the board with the current system.
It absolutely will run everything Xbox One and older at Xbox One X settings and beyond.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My outside bet? Lockhart is still cancelled and they missed the "Lockhard" mis-spelling when someone readied the XDK for publication. i.e. they did a ctrl+f for Lockhart, deleted them all, and hit publish.

Oct 27, 2017
I could see a $299 box selling very well in the current economic climate. Not only in the US but in third world countries as well. I`d imagine the price difference will even have a stronger impact in those markets.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
It won't sell stupidly good if it doesn't have graphics and games people really want. Price don't sell, games and graphics do.

I really don't think you understand what will happen.

The Series S will essentially play Series X games, with very little changes most of the time, other than being in 1080p. 4k takes a HUGE chunk of vram compared to 1080p, so right away you save a massive chunk of memory cost there. It will essentially be a Series X at 1080p max, but for a cheaper price. If you can't see why that would be insanely popular A) at this moment in time and B) for the vast majority of people who only have 1080p sets, then I don't know what to tell you.

The way I'm reading people talk here is almost like you think the Series S will render at 900p and disable most settings/reduce textures etc. That's a solution to get a Series X game on the One X, not the Series S (if the conversion would allow anyway).

As for developers having an issue: From what I heard from my friends who work on actual games that release and don't sit in a bedroom someplace, the reason it would be a concern is that it essentially creates another avenue for testing and QA. I have no friends with direct knowledge of the system existing sadly, as my friends work for "the enemy" lol, but its no more a head ache development wise than it has been on PC for, well, ever. Only now, you need a massive QA step between the Series X and Series S to make sure both work. THAT is the head ache.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
There's been great discussion on this thread this afternoon.

It's really interesting how the 4 price points will play out.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Horrible pricing for a system that will hold back next gen

The new system has to me marginally faster and have better graphics than the Xbox one X and sell at 249.99 to make a real impact IMHO.
It won't hold back next gen lol

have you even read any posts above? It will run the same games, but at 1080p, nothing else to it, its not holding anything back. It is leaps and bounds better than the One X

Shadow Dancer

Prophet of Regret
Jul 22, 2019
Could we expect Lockhart to play all X1X enhanced games on BC? X1X has tons of optimized 4K/1440p games.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Lockhart will only hold back next gen game design if a developer intended to target 1080P with no ray tracing and 30fps on Series X but now can't because there would be no room to scale down to the Lockhart. The likelihood that any dev would target something so low in resolution and features that it won't scale to a system with a similar CPU and I/O is very low.

In a vacuum, maybe developers don't like it. Publishers will because it expands their reach with next gen games. The cost to scale is likely out-weighed by potential for more overall sales. In the end, the business of gaming holds back game design more than specs ever will. Lockhart actually improves the financial outlook of games that target Zen 2 CPUs and SSDs as a baseline...which indirectly opens up next gen game design faster. This of course is going by an assumption that Lockhart will sell well.

Oct 28, 2017
This thing could be priced below the Xbox One X which is mindblowing to my feeble mind.

In my heart I want this to be Xbox Series (S)urface.

Danny Eight

Banned
Jun 24, 2020
I really don't think you understand what will happen.

The Series S will essentially play Series X games, with very little changes most of the time, other than being in 1080p. 4k takes a HUGE chunk of vram compared to 1080p, so right away you save a massive chunk of memory cost there. It will essentially be a Series X at 1080p max, but for a cheaper price. If you can't see why that would be insanely popular A) at this moment in time and B) for the vast majority of people who only have 1080p sets, then I don't know what to tell you.

The way I'm reading people talk here is almost like you think the Series S will render at 900p and disable most settings/reduce textures etc. That's a solution to get a Series X game on the One X, not the Series S (if the conversion would allow anyway).
I don't think people genuinely believe Lockhart will hold the next gen back, particularly after posts like yours - it just seems like subtle platform warring unfortunately.

Tach

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 25, 2020
East England, UK

I would imagine the people buying Lockhart would know what to expect when it comes to gaming performance.

Also, you talk about graphics being a selling point but many games like Anthem, Ryse and The Order didn't exactly light the sales charts on fire.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I don't really know what the BC story would be for Lockhart. I imagine it might run at XB1S settings, perhaps with better frame rates and what not. From a GPU perspective its too close to XB1X to just assume it can run everything easily.

That said, if the target is 1080p they don't really need to run at XB1X settings

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Could we expect Lockhart to play all X1X enhanced games on BC? X1X has tons of optimized 4K/1440p games.

It should play any games that XSX plays, just at a lower resolution.

In theory if MS have done their work well (and no reason to think they havne't) if you have a 1080p TV you should notice almost zero difference vs if you hooked up an XSX to it.

(you are likely to get some downsampling IQ benefits with XSX but hopefully you see my core point)

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know what the BC story would be for Lockhart. I imagine it might run at XB1S settings, perhaps with better frame rates and what not. From a GPU perspective its too close to XB1X to just assume it can run everything easily.

That said, if the target is 1080p they don't really need to run at XB1X settings

yeah, i think i recall reading a rumor (maybe it was just speculation) that lockhart would run BC for x1s only.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
What are you talking about? Price is literally the biggest factor, especially in the current world economy. Consumers have shown time and again that they are willing to sacrifice the cutting edge to save $100. Just look at how well the iPhone SE has been selling, or how well the Wii sold despite its clearly weaker graphics and third party support

m23

Oct 25, 2017
The cheapest this thing could possibly be would be $299 USD, I think a more realistic price is $349.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
I don't think people genuinely believe Lockhart will hold the next gen back, particularly after posts like yours - it just seems like subtle platform warring unfortunately.

You would be surprised.

Listen I get it, I do. I mean people say "well halo infinite will look awful because it has to run on the xbox one s" and for them I say "I hear ya, that makes sense. If you have this amazing SSD and incredible CPU, there is only so much you can scale back for the older one s before it becomes impossible". And for THOSE people, I would suggest that more than likely, MS have spent that HUGE budget on Halo infinite to maybe create a side team to take their Series X version of the game and port it to xbox one, making changes where needed so that it actually works on the system. Maybe cut some stuff out, maybe even remove some stuff. Its been done many, many times before, by MS even, and I would see their number one next gen title doing the same. They aren't stupid.

But that's for the Series X to the One S. That's a HUGE jump over a generation with different architecture and spec. I can see their concern.

But for Series X to Series S...? Nah, that's people worrying because they actually don't know how things work and instead just go "well, 4 is a lot lower than 12, this thing must look shit".

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It won't hold back next gen lol

have you even read any posts above? It will run the same games, but at 1080p, nothing else to it, its not holding anything back. It is leaps and bounds better than the One X

I did read it but I also know 100% that developers target the least power machines to ensure 100% effectiveness and than bump up a few settings for the top tier. I'm worried that in reality with the os overhead and rumored specs This won't feel nextgen at all. Hope I'm wrong TBH but I wouldn't hold my breath that other things have been reducedto hit this price point. We just don't know about it yet

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Like Wii did 480p for CRT users. I can't see the difference.

Not all crts are 480p.

What would fundamentally be the difference between Lockheart for owners of HD TVs (and who will not migrate to a 4K screen anytime soon) and the Wii's strategy with CRT users back in 2006?

They look very similar to me.

The underlying tech didn't really change from GC to WII it is vastly changing from x1 to lockhart, and that is if lockhart is actually coming at this point.

I think you would notice bigger worlds, raytracing, games hitting 1080p more often at native or with whatever dlss feature they come up with for rdna 2, games would also have a lot more objects and more complex physics simulations or amounts of them at once possible as well.

zelda_wake

Banned
Jun 5, 2020
I don't buy the argument that Series X is 4K and Series S is 1080P.

Some games in Series X won't be 4k and that's ok, maybe 1440p?, in this scenario Series S -> 720p?

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
What was Wii's strategy with CRT users?

At that time Nintendo declared (I think it was the Iwata) that people were still switching from CRT TVs to HD TVs (plasma and LCD). Most people still used SD screens and to force HD at that time would leave a huge portion of the audience without access, or with limited content.

Then they launched the Wii SD, with a low price and high accessibility with an eye on expanding the audience and capturing those users who would not migrate at that time to the HD monitors.

And I see Lockheart repeat that idea, but with HD and 4K TVs.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018

Theoretically it will hold next gen back, just like support for PC. As will XSX's slower SSD and PS5's worse GPU and CPU. There's always some scenario that becomes impossible as you add on requirements.

The question is, will it do so in a meaningful way? Is the attempt at front loading the adoption curve worth the sacrifice? If year 3 and 4 purchasers become year 1 and 2 purchasers that makes for a mucj healthier market.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
The RAM amount is a bit lower than I expected, and I wonder how much they downclocked the CPU... but I'm not really worried about Lockhart tbh. Devs will target PS5/XSX, and just downport. Worst case is that Lockhart games will have more cutbacks than just reduced resolution, but that doesn't bother me. Pricing is more important, if the price is anywhere close to PS5, this thing is DOA.

Sorry but there are few people in the world I would listen to less than Jason Schreier. The guy bleeds Playstation, and is about as biased as they come, its bad.

You mean the guy who constantly criticises major Sony dev studios for their working conditions with scathing articles / tweets? What an embarrassing take. Maybe you are the biased one?

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
So Lockhart has 50% more RAM than the One S and Series has 50% more RAM than the One X. Not sure if that's even a meaningful comparison but it's interesting nonetheless.

Doing some research on how various PC ports run and their VRAM usage, the difference between 1080p and 4k is actually pretty similar to the RAM differences between Lockhart and Series X. It does seem like the One X has way more RAM than needed compared to the One S (although I guess the One S wasn't hitting 1080p most of the time so maybe more was necessary). Also, the PS4 Pro only has 5.5GB of memory vs the regular PS4 which just confuses me more.

I do wonder about backwards compatibility. Lockhart has less RAM than the One X and it'd be pretty disappointing if it couldn't run Xbox One X quality titles. So many question, so few answers.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

As long as GPUs are primarily handling graphics, you'll get no argument for me on the scalability on that side. I wouldn't knock Lockhart for its GPU, at least if it turns out to be true that most devs would like to target 4K long term on the higher end SKUs.

I think people might not be on the same page about what 'holding back' means. Lockhart - or more generally, accommodating lower end SKUs - isn't going to stop progress. But might, in some cases, accommodating a wide range of targets result in different choices vs if you were only worrying about a narrower range of higher end targets? It'd be brave to say it could never be the case IMO.

In a world where most devs are accommodating much lower end hardware than Lockhart anyway for the foreseeable future, it's a moot point anyway. Where it becomes a question is when devs move on. I don't think deferring to either Switch, or PC GPU scalability (given Lockhart's mem differences at least), really answers that question in a completely general way. The dynamics or trends you're seeing there in the ability and intention of games to reach across a range of hardware might apply to many games, but I wouldn't speak too generally about it.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Wow. Seriously?

For some reason I always assume verified posters here are above the normal rabble but here you go.

Like I said earlier sorry if that offends people, but that's my general feeling I get from his posts. I can't tell you a single time I have ever seen him praise or big up any other company, but Sony seems to be a daily thing. As a gaming news journalist that works/worked for a major site that reported on EVERY console, you want less personal views and more unbiased factual reporting. I never saw that, and I'm sorry. EDIT: I did see the recent tussle he had with ND about things, yes. But other than that, I can't tell you a single time I saw him post an excited tweet about an xbox *thing*, but any time Sony do a video/event, he's posting all day, every day. I'm sorry guys that's just my view on things.

I did read it but I also know 100% that developers target the least power machines to ensure 100% effectiveness and than bump up a few settings for the top tier. I'm worried that in reality with the os overhead and rumored specs This won't feel nextgen at all. Hope I'm wrong TBH but I wouldn't hold my breath that other things have been reducedto hit this price point. We just don't know about it yet

This may shock you, but have a look at just how much GPU grunt is required to render a game at 1080p, and then compare it to the SAME game, but in 4k. 4k is a MASSIVE drain. This isn't some tiny performance loss, we are talking pretty much two thirds of the grunt going towards that alone.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Do we think we are getting the price for both (XSX and XSS) in July's event? I'm completely fine with Lockhart specs, I need THE PRICE.

Deleted member 60772

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
So, I can play next gen games on this, but at reduced fidelity, resolution and frame rate. That's about the size of it, yes?

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
At that time Nintendo declared (I think it was the Iwata) that people were still switching from CRT TVs to HD TVs (plasma and LCD). Most people still used SD screens and to force HD at that time would leave a huge portion of the audience without access, or with limited content.

Then they launched the Wii SD, with a low price and high accessibility with an eye on expanding the audience and capturing those users who would not migrate at that time to the HD monitors.

And I see Lockheart repeat that idea, but with HD and 4K TVs.

Seems different to me. Microsoft is basically exploiting the fact that a good chunk of silicon is being used solely to hit 4k and allowing people that don't want 4k (or don't care) to save money. The goal will be to deliver true next gen graphics. Wii was barely more powerful than GameCube from what I remember.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy the argument that Series X is 4K and Series S is 1080P.

Some games in Series X won't be 4k and that's ok, maybe 1440p?, in this scenario Series S -> 720p?
From the sounds of it, 4k would be harder to kit consistently for Series X than 1080p consistently for a Series S specced machine. That's the way my ignorant on the facts brain reads it.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Do we think we are getting the price for both (XSX and XSS) in July's event? I'm completely fine with Lockhart specs, I need THE PRICE.
I don't know, it's almost funny how long MS and Sony are willing to play chicken over the price announcement. My guess is they have multiple potential pricepoints that are dependent on what the other does. That and they want to see how the consumer electronics market is trending with COVID