• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 15, 2017
I wonder if the GPU on Lockhart would trade blows with my RX 580. I just want to play next gen games at 1080p and decent quality with textures maxed.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Lots of people who clearly don't understand game development or the fundamentals of hardware.
giphy.gif

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
So people keep touting it's a next gen machine but expect a $299 miracle. The spec differences look about $100 at best unless MS want to eat a loss. Which wouldn't make sense.

If its digital only MS could sell at that price point since they can susbidize the loss with profits from digital/gamepass sales.

Im expecting this machine to be ms's megaton during their next event.

Last edited:

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
If this turns out real and priced right then it would be great for MS.

It would give people who are not really into Xbox a reason to buy one as a 2nd console.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Have you tried building a PC with these specs?
lmao, even if its not 200, 300 could be a number..thing is obviously gonna be cheaper than the main xbox. So yes, that has nothing to do with it weather i can build a pc with that money or not, i dont see why you gotta compare it, thats not how consoles hardware works.

if an xbox is 600 dollars which would be ridiculous, this could be 400, which sounds like a lot if you ask me for a cheapp ass spec machine like this. So yes, i find it very feasible that it could reach that magic low number.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
I always wondered why an OS needs to take up so much RAM. It needs my library, a store and some settings. Done.

Shadow Dancer

Prophet of Regret
Jul 22, 2019
If Lockhart is more powerful (or near powerful) than Xbox One X that delivers visuals like RDR2, Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, I'm into it.

$299-349 with a cool design and it will sell a lot.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Yup. Lots of people who clearly don't understand game development or the fundamentals of hardware.
11 pages and counting of the same thing . lol

edit: 12 pages since i started to read this thread.

Also, i think one of the worse narratives given birth on this forum is the idea about "holding back games". what a horrible train of thought to double down on.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be honest I'm still not a fan of a weaker SKU..

That said If Lockhart is 33% the power of Series X but its goal is to run games at only 25% the resolution and lower framerates..logic would tell us it really shouldn't hold back the graphical fidelity devs will be pushing for next gen..correct?

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly this sounds pretty good. Improved cpu, storage and ram will make a huge difference and make a nice console for folks who still lack 4K.

as someone who is a straight midrange pc gamer this is fully understandable to me. It's like a 2060 for the console market. Similar functions, just lower Rez.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm so confused... since the One X came out, people have used TFs as the benchmark for how strong a console is...

...now 4TFs, which is lower than the PS4 Pro(?) seems to be way stronger than we think?

sigh
4 TF this gen doesnt equal 4 TF Next Gen.
This is more than likely equivalent to about 8 TF last gen. So i would think this would possibly be a 1440p machine, and possibly do native 4k. just a rough guess though someone else could tell the equivalents better than me.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Reinforcing a previous comment:

When Nintendo opted for the Wii to be SD in 2006, already at the turn of the HD and FHD TVs, it was realized that there were a huge number of people who had not yet transitioned. This audience clearly has budget constraints. It made sense to have a cheap console for all this mass of "backward" consumers.

Lockheart seems to copy that tactic. It is intended to be the Wii for the 9th generation. Having the lowest price and catching that limited budget consumer who won't be upgrading their TV in the next few years and doesn't mind being technologically out of date.

It is not a new approach and it worked for Nintendo. Would it work for Microsoft?

Maple-Rebel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 15, 2018
Next gen at $399 or something akin to that.

The issue will be that every game will be marketed using a series X. So anyone buying this will have to wait for DF to see how it will perform. Much like the Xbox one and PS4 now.

Makes sense. As a launch PS4 owner, this bait and switch with reveals annoyed me this gen but the differences were never enough to convince me to buy a Pro, especially because I still have a 1080p tv. I'm going 4K soon, so I'd opt for a full featured console personally.

Edit: but options are good and hopefully this lands well so that Sony has to respond with aggressive pricing.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Xbox has spent the better part of 4 years heavily marketing Teraflops as the primary indicator of console performance, are you really surprised that people are getting confused?

Most people are not following pc architecture discussions, even on a gaming enthusiasts forum.

People choose to hear what they want to hear.
Xbox One X was designed to run Xbox One games at 4K that's how they ended up at with a machine 4x the power and 50% more ram.

PS4 doubled it's GPU to double the resolution and then used checkerboarding to bridge the gap to 4K.

Both Marketing teams claimed at one point or another than they had the most powerful machine, they could ONLY do so by having specs that reflected that at the time, don't act like Microsoft alone was touting the

This gen it's just been done the other way round, they've built their pro machine first and then scaled back the cheaper model to be able to produce the same type of experience at a lower resolution - for an audience that doesn't want to spent $600 on games machines, but wants to play new games.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal

That said If Lockhart is 33% the power of Series X but its goal is to run games at only 25% the resolution and lower framerates..logic would tell us it really shouldn't hold back the graphical fidelity devs will be pushing for next gen..correct?

Believe in the power of tools!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Would you agree the following?

- for third party/mulitiplatform this is an almost non-issue. It is an additional SKU to support, but devs will already be having scalable engines including lower spec PC than Lockhart so should not impact the technical scope of the games here.

- for MS first party, similar issue - they're also making all first party games avaialble on PC so will need to be scalable. Lockhart doesn't hold back what XSX will do, because they're already designing for lower specced PCs

- for Sony first party - they are less held back here. They can target the specs of PS5 solely and not have to make anything scalable. Its IMO unlikely to mean significant differences, but there may be some advantages for their teams being able to focus on a more narrow target for delivery.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm intrigued how this will play out. I see the pros and cons of such a system but right now I'm leaning towards it being a mistake. Interested to get official word from MS on their products / strategy.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When Nintendo opted for the Wii to be SD in 2006, already at the turn of the HD and FHD TVs, it was realized that there were a huge number of people who had not yet transitioned. This audience clearly has budget constraints. It made sense to have a cheap console for all this mass of "backward" consumers.

Lockheart seems to copy that tactic. It is intended to be the Wii for the 9th generation. Having the lowest price and catching that limited budget consumer who won't be upgrading their TV in the next few years and doesn't mind being technologically out of date.

It is not a new approach and it worked for Nintendo. Would it work for Microsoft?

it helps that they have a full fledged next gen machine along side it. Nintendo didn't launch the Wii alongside a Wii HD for both needs.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Have you tried building a PC with these specs?
To be fair, when I'm building a PC, I don't have access to proprietary parts, nor discounts for buying in bulk, nor the desire to take a significant loss on my ROI that I'll be able to make up by selling subscriptions to millions of people.

Edit: I do agree, though, that $200 is way too low of a realistic price.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Lockhart potentially may have better framerate stability!

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Can't wait for all the ads and magazine stills featuring lockhart game renders. Oh wait.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Question, you wouldn't happen to know what the codename "Edinburgh" is referring to in this image do you? I thought I saw that codename attached to Xbox somewhere before but I can't seem to find it.

mgL0c1R_d.webp

Also, thanks for the article write up. Good as usual.

Oct 25, 2017
Would you agree the following?

- for third party/mulitiplatform this is an almost non-issue. It is an additional SKU to support, but devs will already be having scalable engines including lower spec PC than Lockhart so should not impact the technical scope of the games here.

- for MS first party, similar issue - they're also making all first party games avaialble on PC so will need to be scalable. Lockhart doesn't hold back what XSX will do, because they're already designing for lower specced PCs

- for Sony first party - they are less held back here. They can target the specs of PS5 solely and not have to make anything scalable. Its IMO unlikely to mean significant differences, but there may be some advantages for their teams being able to focus on a more narrow target for delivery.
Developers almost never develop with lower end PCs in mind outside of MMOs, MOBAs, and other myltiplayer games of that nature. Lockhart will be the lowest common denominator, and the fact that it isnt matching the CPU capabilities of the XSX has me worried that it may at least hold back multiplatform development to some degree.

Nine_Ball

Jun 12, 2020
That's known and you can ask developers, if you want.

I think it's not the case, most devs don't want to release games for multiple SKU's when they have the choice to support only one.

Most devs don't want to optimize for another console with far less memory and less CPU power when they can also only release their game on only one platform with superior specs. (Series X)

It's not even a question, and like I said adding only 2,5GB of memory presumably for the Lockhart compared to the base PS4 is not a great choice, especially when Devs already stated numerous times that they were constrained with the 5GB available on PS4 a console released in 2013.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017

some of this is janky thinking.....

lockhart isn't in a wii like position cause it's not using better intended parts to make it more like a dolphin and not gamecube.

lockhart doesn't have jaguar or gcn parts it has ryzen and rdna2

MS idea is better cause the system is just lesser extension xsx and than being a souped up gc trying to be nintendo's og intention with the architecture.

Ms wants low and mid range markets seeing as how it's infinitely bigger than anyone one version of xbox they have done to date. combining the two will definitely remind sony ms can play this game. next to amd bold moves in this space it quite a good one.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
11 pages and counting of the same thing . lol

edit: 12 pages since i started to read this thread.

Also, i think one of the worse narratives given birth on this forum is the idea about "holding back games". what a horrible train of thought to double down on.

I thought devs already said that they weren't too happy with the idea of Lockhart. Can't remember where I read that, so could be wrong.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
My guess is Lockhart will be really small and cheaply built, with significantly reduced cooling capacity. Forget vapour chamber.

then could we be looking at Lockhart being portable like a laptop, and this being to conserve battery?

a cheaper portable value proposition would be pretty wild

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
This just tells me the Series X will be brutal in price lol

not to me

i see this as a few potential things

Lockhart could be a class of devices, not one singular device (it can be cheap, it can be expensive)
Lockhart could be a GamePass console, where buying the console it has a life time subscription to game pass @ $499 or whatever
Lockhart could be a handheld
Lockhart could be all of the above

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
People choose to hear what they want to hear.
Xbox One X was designed to run Xbox One games at 4K that's how they ended up at with a machine 4x the power and 50% more ram.

PS4 doubled it's GPU to double the resolution and then used checkerboarding to bridge the gap to 4K.

Both Marketing teams claimed at one point or another than they had the most powerful machine, they could ONLY do so by having specs that reflected that at the time, don't act like Microsoft alone was touting the

This gen it's just been done the other way round, they've built their pro machine first and then scaled back the cheaper model to be able to produce the same type of experience at a lower resolution - for an audience that doesn't want to spent $600 on games machines, but wants to play new games.

There is a difference between claiming that you own the "Most Powerful Machine" and using TF as a piece of marketing.
Yes, they were/are alone in the TF conversation.
They could still market their most powerful machine without throwing away TF as the most important metric for their marketing strategy.
Now it´s up to them to show/explain why TF isn´t the most important metric.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
If they are planning to port all of their games to PC, then none of the games will be built around taking full advantage of an SSD right? I doubt they will have SSDs as a minimum requirement for PC games for a while.

So if that is true then won't all xbox games be missing a big component of what could be done on next gen hardware? I guess only PS5 exclusives and games not ported to PC will be able to utilise that super fast streaming.
Interested to see what the minimum requirements are for The Medium. That is a next-generation game where the developers have stated current-generation consoles cannot handle it, and they praise the SSD as the key difference. It is coming to PC and Xbox Series X this year.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i have no interest in lockhart but i cant wait to see this in action and hear how development for both profiles works. ~1080p gamin at an entry level price is really interesting and would definitely put MS in a good position to find great success next gen and i cant imagine MS would be doing it if it didnt work. but, like i said, lets see it!

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Doubt that specs will manage to get NEXT GEN games at 1440p 60fps. Even without ray tracing support. This gen games of course. Maybe some not demanding ones for next gen. 1080p 60fps yes. 1440p 60fps maybe some. And most this gen multiplayers. 4k 30fps some not demanding games and most this gen games.