• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the assumption that Chris Hardwick was investigated by a private company and that they found nothing to backup the allegations from his ex?

I 100% get that accusations should be taken very seriously, but it seemed like AMC did it's part in checking into it and couldn't find any witnesses or proof of any abuse?
Yeah, I was under the impression that he was not found to be guilty of what he was accused of doing...

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Don't think it matters ultimately. Anytime an accused is cleared of wrongdoing there's always people who will have doubts.
Ultimately none of it matters unless we became judges and jury's in these cases. We're all just throwing our 2 cents onto a forum and companies will hire whoever they see fit for the job. Some people will decide not to buy a game over things like this, however that doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of things since this particular game will sell like hotcakes. At the end of the day I will still believe Chris Hardwick is an asshole.

McDomination

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Antagonizing other members and making light of assault allegations
Accusations are evidence. You don't get to say, "Nothing was found," while ignoring the evidence.

Accusations are evidence? Just like that?

Hey everyone, bluexy touched me inappropriately last week!

There. Now, there's evidence of you touching people inappropriately without their consent. Everyone should boycott your publications and articles!

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Agree to disagree. People should be innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until proven innocent.

No single person is a court system. That structure exists as a bare minimum function of society. Individuals make judgements every day of their lives. Choosing to believe women is a reflection of your values and character. Choosing to believe rich, powerful men backed by massive legal structures over individual women is also such a reflection.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Accusations are evidence. You don't get to say, "Nothing was found," while ignoring the evidence.
That's... not how that works though? An accusation is an accusation. Just because someone says something happened doesn't mean it did. You find evidence to back up the claim or to refute it.

Terra

May 15, 2019
I mean, if someone read all the shit aboud Dave Eddings and the claptrap situation and still was like "i'm still going to give my money to Randy Pitchford" then this certainly isn't going to convince any of them.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's... not how that works though? An accusation is an accusation. Just because someone says something happened doesn't mean it did. You find evidence to back up the claim or refute it.

That's literally how it works. Thousands of people are put in jail every year based on accusational testimony alone every year. Usually it's a police officer's tesimony, but not always. Again, you get to choose whether or not you believe women. Juries find people guilty over less every day. No one's asking you to put someone in jail. How much evidence do you need to be like, "You know, maybe I'm not going to support this social media guy or his TV show."

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought he was cleared of any wrongdoing, or is it not widely known?

Anyway, I didn't realise Troy Baker and Claptrap VA aren't in this one. So that's a pass from me anyway

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
That's literally how it works. Thousands of people are put in jail every year based on accusational testimony alone every year. Usually it's a police officer's tesimony, but not always. Again, you get to choose whether or not you believe women. Juries find people guilty over less every day. No one's asking you to put someone in jail. How much evidence do you need to be like, "You know, maybe I'm not going to support this social media guy or his TV show."
Actual proof that he did what he is accused of doing, is what I need. I'm not going to say he didn't do it, considering we don't have all of the facts, but for that very same reason, I'm definitely not going to assume that he did it.

If he abused her, then that's shitty. If her accusation is false, then that's shitty. But we don't know which of those is the case. We can guess, and we can choose which to believe, but because of that, I'm not going to be "against" either of them until something definitive emerges.

Last edited:

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. He deserves to get his career back. This whole nonsense where just an accusation should be enough to ruin you for life is ass backwards. Does more harm than good. People should be directing their pitchforks at actual predators.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018

He wasn't. A half-assed AMC investigation decided there wasn't enough evidence either way to stop him from coming back to Talking Dead.

Of course, totally-progressive-Resetera used that to fuel their garbage "cancel culture is problematic" hot takes.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, ResetEra as a whole really need to stop with this "Cancel" thing it got going on.
He was accused of abuse but absolutely nothing was found to prove it and most of the women in his life backed him up.
I understand it's easy to band-wagon on every accusation but that doesn't mean something actually happened.
You guys need to let go.

In Chris Hardwick's case, I guess he has more going for him than most to convince some that he is innocent. I am not personally convinced, since he also apparently has a history of alcohol abuse. He is also apparently a work-a-holic. People like that tend to be extremely volatile. Combine that with his celebrity and you have a recipe for trouble.

You also have to understand that women can absolutely make false accusations, but it is not common whatsoever. A women making that claim without any merit is asking for litigation from the celebrity and harassment from their fans. I tend to believe women coming out about this type of stuff.

Sadly, I think we are rapidly heading to the point where we are going to have make documenting sexual encounters common, particularly if you are a valuable entity. There is too much liability in it otherwise. There was a piece of throwaway humor in Bioshock Infinite's Burial at Sea where two consenting adults should "get it writing". That is starting to sound a lot more conclusive than countless "he said - she said" arguments that become fuel for tabloids, extremist YouTubers, and social media junkies.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
No single person is a court system. That structure exists as a bare minimum function of society. Individuals make judgements every day of their lives. Choosing to believe women is a reflection of your values and character. Choosing to believe rich, powerful men backed by massive legal structures over individual women is also such a reflection.

No, that just means I'm an optimist who believes in human beings and you're a pessimist who doesn't, but that's okay. I'm not "choosing a side" here, I'm saying that the guy was never proven guilty so people shouldn't act like he was.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
No, that just means I'm an optimist who believes in human beings and you're a pessimist who doesn't, but that's okay. I'm not "choosing a side" here, I'm saying that the guy was never proven guilty so people shouldn't act like he was.

An optimist who believes in people, unless they're accusing someone of abuse apparently.

This thread is embarrassing as hell.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Definitive proof that he did what he is accused of doing, is what I need. I'm not going to say he didn't do it, considering we don't have all of the facts, but for that very same reason, I'm definitely not going to assume that he did it.

If he abused her, then that's shitty. If her accusation is false, then that's shitty. But we don't know which of those is the case. We can guess, and we can choose which to believe, but because of that, I'm not going to be "against" either of them until something definitive emerges.

Over 80% of women have faced sexual harassment, assault, or rape in their lives. The vast majority of it goes unreported. The vast majority that is reported will never result in a conviction or any sort of accountability. Fake accusations are statistical anomalies. Assuming that women are lying as soon as they speak is condemning generations of women now and in the future to continued sexual harassment and assault without recourse.

You, an individual are not a court of law. The state of our society and how we treat women must change. We must do better. Believing women is bare fucking minimum. To not, is to knowingly endorse a status quo of treating women broadly as less than.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to point out that when Chloe posted all that stuff, she wished to move past it. She said specifically she didn't set out to ruin his career, and a lot of times that's... mostly what it's for when victims come out against their abusers. She did it mostly for herself so she could empty out her bottled feelings and move past it. Chris Hardwick could've absued her, he could not have. Her refusing to participate in an investigation undertaken on behalf of the company that's employing her alleged abuser isn't unreasonable, as it's being done on behalf of them so they can gauge whether it's worth employing him still or not, not in the interest of getting to the bottom of what actually happened, that's secondary. The investigation concluded and they decided there was no large monetary risk to keeping him employed.

Tangentially related, it's exceptionally difficult to get anything done regarding an abuser, the legal system inadvertently works for them and not in favor of the victims. Good thread about it going around on Twitter.

Including that in Washington up until a few weeks ago if you wanted to file a protection order against your rapist you had to prove that there was another reason to fear them other than that they raped you.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
No problems replacing the voice actors for Rhys and Claptrap, but Hardwick is absolutely essential for Vaughn. Sure.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
I'm ultimately on your side in that I believe the accusation, but how many people would know that the firm has ties to Hardwick's family? Why would you believe that to be common knowledge? Are you stupid?
Besides it being brought up multiple times in this thread before I posted that? I want to default assume people can read so I guess I am stupid.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Over 80% of women have faced sexual harassment, assault, or rape in their lives. The vast majority of it goes unreported. The vast majority that is reported will never result in a conviction or any sort of accountability. Fake accusations are statistical anomalies. Assuming that women are lying as soon as they speak is condemning generations of women now and in the future to continued sexual harassment and assault without recourse.

You, an individual are not a court of law. The state of our society and how we treat women must change. We must do better. Believing women is bare fucking minimum. To not, is to knowingly endorse a status quo of treating women broadly as less than.
You're saying that I'm assuming she was lying, but I'm not. I'm not assuming anything about either of them. I don't believe it's right to condemn someone based simply on another person's words and nothing else-- that goes for both of the individuals involved. If there were more evidence to point either way, then that would be a different story, but as it is right now, it is unfortunately a "he said, she said" situation. I hope she isn't lying. And at the same time, I also hope he didn't actually do it. Obviously both can't be true, but until there's more to discuss, that's just where I stand on this, regardless of anyone's gender.

I don't really have any more to contribute, so that's probably my last post on this.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Really bad PR Move, shocked they went through with this. Doesn't seem worth the hassle for such a mid level charater from TOTB.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was under the impression that he was cleared, or at the very least had a bunch of people backing him up against the allegations.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018

Believe me, I know. I don't assume anyone is lying. I'm just not assuming anything.
I know a lot of women who faced abuse in multiple forms, I know all of it works and I just want people to be happy.
But right here, right now, we're in a situation where there's no evidence against the accuser. We can't just act like there is, when there's not.
And as long as it's the case, people shouldn't hate that person for something we don't know anything about, wherever it happened or not.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really care about the new characters getting different voice actors. Claptrap however has been an integral part of the series since day 1 so that's going to be the weirdest part of the new game for me.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018

Have you heard of, uh, evidence?

It's not a belief system. It's not picking sides. It's about facts and interpreting them.

Jesus.

Terra

May 15, 2019
I mean, in my personal life i've been around organizations that have covered up for dudes much, much more irrelevant than hardwick. I mean come on guys, think for a second. Companies don't have any morals, i highly doubt any private investigation was run to actually get the truth haha.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
How do you know that without having played the game lol

It's speculation based off what Randy said when he was defending Troy not being in the game. He said, 'Fortunately, with how Rhys appears in the game, I don't think it actually matters at all'. So it really sounds like he has a very minor role in the game.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I remember a bunch of people speaking up about hardwick backing chloe. I believe VA's should get first right of refusal for roles much like Disney does but there should be a morality clause for bad behavior. The investigation also gives gearbox an out cause they can say "well he was cleared"

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

Anyway, I didn't realise Troy Baker and Claptrap VA aren't in this one. So that's a pass from me anyway

Cleared is the wrong word I think? Chloe from the start said she wasn't going to pursue anything or take part in an investigation because coming forward was not about revenge but moving on and strengthening others. Thus, the legal firm with huge conflict of interest into hardwicks wife's family company that AMC hired to investigate, had little to go on and he was reinstated
By AMC. There was no, "he is completely innocent" judgement

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Have you heard of, uh, evidence?

It's not a belief system. It's not picking sides. It's about facts and interpreting them.

Jesus.

A woman literally said she was sexually assaulted by this man. You either believe her or you don't. There's nothing mystic about dealing with reality. Several people in this thread are CHOOSING to not believe her. There is no "I'm choosing not to be ivolved" or "I'm taking the middle road." There is no "I'm choosing only to follow the facts" if in doing so you discount this woman saying she was sexually assaulted. All of those paths insinuate either that you are assuming that she's lying or that you're okay with sexual assault and think there should be no accountability for it.

It's so fucking telling that so many people here are trying to argue that they aren't assuming she's lying but will also continue on as if she was lying. Complete mental disconnect.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I understand that position, based on those statistics. The bias towards believing women is justified if you just look at how they are historically treated. However, that just won't be good enough for some people that want hard evidence before they commit to a stance.

For me, whenever issues like this crop up, I personally take the situation seriously overall. I never take the accusation lightly, but neither do I automatically commit myself to condemning someone. I wait and see what character evidence comes pouring out of the woodwork. In Hardwick's case, his lifestyle is fairly documented and easy to correlate to abusive behavior.

That's good enough for me.

For others, they want more. They want pictures, video or women coming forward with scars. Unfortunately, given how easy it is to perpetrate serial abuse of any kind, that is a tall order. They won't look past their militant fundamentalist approach to dispensing justice. So now you are left with the choice of dismissing that attitude or respecting it. I personally choose to respect it, simply because I have a bias toward independent thinking, though you ultimately end up enabling some folks with fringe views. Maybe it is a character weakness for me, and certainly women in this circumstance will probably think less of me for it, but we all have opinions that will ostracize us from particular groups.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting that part of surviving the last few years of the MeToo movement as an accused abuser is to be a likeable public figure. There more likeable you seem to people the more rope you're given. Hardwick basically just sat back and let this all blow over and he's gonna come out w/ his career entirely in tact and I believe a big part of it is that he had such a 'nice guy' public image. I guess it also helps that he works in the 'nerd' industry where you have a lot of men chomping at the bit to push back against the MeToo movement and will rally around figures like Hardwick.

The whole thing is very depressing.
I dunno, man, plenty of people excited about those THQN games. I think maybe most people just don't care, unfortunately.

Like, I'm pretty sure Gearbox knows the vast majority of people buying Borderlands don't know who the fuck Hardwick is, much less care about what he did.

How likeable is Chris Brown?

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was under the impression that he was not found to be guilty of what he was accused of doing...

Don't know the best way to put it but the investigation AMC launched didn't find anything damning enough not bring him back and that was all. I don't know what their standards are but that is in no way a not guilty. That seems to be what people are missing the investigation didn't say he was innocent/not guilty. His accuser didn't cooperate, for whatever reasons she might have had, and they just didn't find enough of a smoking gun on their own.

At this point, it is a matter of who you want to believe, but I wish people in this thread would stop acting like the investigation settles the matter and Hardwick was innocent because that is not what happened.

Last edited:

Terra

May 15, 2019
Honestly most people giving money to pitchford are in it for the long haul at this point. Hardwick barely is a speedbump.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
He married a Hurst. No way they were going to let that stick with him. As someone who was a fan of his since the 90's, I 100% believe Chloe.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
What talent or charisma does this guy even have that people even won't to hire him back amid the accusations?