• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Nerdist founder and host Chris Hardwick will appear in Borderlands 3, despite abuse allegations leveled against him last year. Gearbox confirmed to The Verge that Hardwick would return to voice Vaughn, a character introduced in Telltale's Tales from the Borderlands. A spokesperson declined to comment further on the company's decision to do so. "We don't have any comments at this time on the process of bringing him on board," the spokesperson said.

In 2018, actress Chloe Dykstra published a poston Medium detailing sexual and emotional abuse allegations against a former boyfriend. She does not name him, but it is believed to be Hardwick. Following the allegations, Nerdist pulled Hardwick's name and posts from the site; many writers publicly denounced him as well. Hardwick — who appears on AMC as the host of after shows such as Talking Bad (for Breaking Bad), Talking Saul (for Better Call Saul), Talking Preacher (for Preacher) and Talking Dead (for The Walking Dead) — was removed from San Diego Comic-Con panels shortly after. AMC pulled his show, Talking with Chris Hardwick.
On May 29th, Dykstra tweeted about Hardwick's inclusion in the upcoming Borderlands. "I hate saying this as a huge fan of Gearbox games and (most of) the developers who work on them," she tweeted. "After having had a personal/working relationship with the company, it's hard for me to support the franchise anymore."
So they couldn't get Troy Baker or David Eddings to return but Chris Hardwick gets to reprise his role? Wow.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
He also got somehow cleared from all the jobs he was working on. His NBC show is coming back this month

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
i understand that there are good developers at gearbox who are putting a lot of work into this and deserve support, but i am absolutely not purchasing this game.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame they couldn't have got Yvette Nicole Brown to voice Vaughn instead.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
What? They got Hardwick for Vaughn but not Troy Baker for Rhys? What the hell is that? They're from the same damn game.

Pitchford and Hardwick are friends btw.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I've never seen a developer so determined to prevent me from getting a game I wanted. Get your shit together, Gearbox.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
Gearbox is trying to make sure I never play this game.
I skipped A hat in time (a game in my favorite genre) because of the asshat that's still in the game, I have no problem skipping BL3 for the same reason.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So between Pitchford and Hardwick Gearbox dgaf anymore. Why not announce that JonTron is voicing a character while you're at it.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting that part of surviving the last few years of the MeToo movement as an accused abuser is to be a likeable public figure. There more likeable you seem to people the more rope you're given. Hardwick basically just sat back and let this all blow over and he's gonna come out w/ his career entirely in tact and I believe a big part of it is that he had such a 'nice guy' public image. I guess it also helps that he works in the 'nerd' industry where you have a lot of men chomping at the bit to push back against the MeToo movement and will rally around figures like Hardwick.

The whole thing is very depressing.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Was there ever any proof Hardwick did anything? He got brought back on all his shows after they did investigations, and I never heard anything else. Or is it still Accusation = Cancellation?

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
For some reason I thought he was cleared of everything. He even got a funko pop lol

14870_chrishardwickbloody_1532375373.jpg

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Not getting back Troy Baker and the claptrap guy, but bringing back an alleged abuser. Seems like a Randy move.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea he voiced Vaughn. Huh.

Anyway, he does well in everything he's in, so cool.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Rhys is hardly in the game, its not like it matters who they hired for him

Also, wait hardwick is an abuser ? oof

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
For some reason I thought he was cleared of everything. He even got a funko pop lol

14870_chrishardwickbloody_1532375373.jpg

If I recall, AMC hired a law firm with a lot of experience in these kinds of issues/accusations, and they concluded nothing occurred that should rise to level of him being terminated / them cutting business ties. I can't recall their wording, but I am pretty sure that was the gist of it. There were no settlements or anything like that.

Since then Hardwick has slowly been getting his jobs back.

Edit: Here's an article discussing it: https://www.slashfilm.com/amc-chris-hardwick-investigation-third-party/

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Next they're going to announce that Doug TenNapel is doing a guest character and Chick-fil-A is doing a tie-in promotion.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was under the assumption that Chris Hardwick was investigated by a private company and that they found nothing to backup the allegations from his ex?

I 100% get that accusations should be taken very seriously, but it seemed like AMC did it's part in checking into it and couldn't find any witnesses or proof of any abuse?

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Was it ever confirmed that he did anything? He got booted when they were just allegations and was investigated, but I hadn't heard anything else afterwards. If there's no proof he did anything, I don't see a reason for him not to, effectively, get his career back. Isn't that the point of investigating allegations?

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Classic Randy! We're one step closer to what we've always wanted: Claptrap doing some #Metoo commentary!

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
I was under the assumption that Chris Hardwick was investigated by a private company and that they found nothing to backup the allegations from his ex?

I 100% get that accusations should be taken very seriously, but it seemed like AMC did it's part in checking into it and couldn't find any witnesses or proof of any abuse?

Yeah if there was actual evidence/corroboration of the accusations then fuck that guy, but if there's nothing there than I'm not sure what people want to happen.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

To a lot of people once you're accused you are guilty no matter what.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

I mean I'd only assume that's why his shows are coming back.

DharmaBum

Sep 5, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory Drive-by Posting
A working actor reprises a role. I guess accusations should ruin a career?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
shit company whose game I already wasn't going to buy does yet another shit thing

yes, gearbox as an entity is shit. doesn't mean every employee there is, but pitchford sure as shit is, as is the culture he has fostered

i'm not saying Hardwick doesn't deserve to make a living, but he won't make it from me

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

Sorta.

Entertainment Weekly said:
The network had conducted an investigation into the allegations against Hardwick and issued the following statement on the findings and decision to return the host to the air: "Following a comprehensive assessment by AMC, working with Ivy Kagan Bierman of the firm Loeb & Loeb, who has considerable experience in this area, Chris Hardwick will return to AMC as the host of Talking Dead and Talking with Chris Hardwick. We take these matters very seriously and given the information available to us after a very careful review, including interviews with numerous individuals, we believe returning Chris to work is the appropriate step."

They didn't say what they discovered, but whatever they found was enough to convince them that he was okay to put back on their shows.

i20bot

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, he was investigated and found of no wrong doing. His ex wife and ex girlfriends backed him up too.