• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you buy a PS5.. I'm assuming on launch..you have 4K..?
How many people want a 1080P machine?
I'd get a Series X if I were them..even if it means waiting.

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
Bingo. This is the biggest problem with GamePass and any service like this. They dont tend to cater to the games that i enjoy. Sure theres a lot of games in general. But idc about 90% of them or played them years ago.

There aren't a lot of AAA single player games on the service that I care for, or many JRPGs jn general. And the ones that are certainly aren't there day 1 where the service would be saving me money.

I get the appeal. But just like Netflix where I don't watch all the B rated crap, I certainly don't want to play all this AA stuff on GamePass.

LOL.

Both of you, like most of the people who think this way, are not seeing the benefits of gamepass. It is not meant to be the only place you get your games, it is meant to make you play games you wouldn't be paying for, increasing your game time, your gaming taste, and overall, making you spend more money on the ecosystem. The same happens with Netflix. It is complimentary to your set of games you already pay for.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A postitive xbox piece was never gonna have a chance on this site. Regardless, i do think that we shouldnt assume anything, and wait until we see what the series s actually is. I fucking hate the drip feed silence coming from microsoft and sony about these consoles. Do you want to put out a box this year or not? If so, then shit or get off the pot.

Oct 30, 2017
Quick question, if I already have an lg c9 oled set, would the series s be dumb to get as a game pass machine along with the ps5 or since im already on 4k the series x would be the only way for my set up to make sense?
Your OLED would still be nice for VRR and HDR.

It's unclear if the XSX version of a game has a 120 fps mode if the XSS would also have such a feature. It's going to vary. It's also unclear about how well the XSS can push higher resolutions of Xbox One games, too.

Because you have a high end television, I'd rather have the XSX model down the line with a bit of extra saving. Holding onto the Xbox One a little longer if you have one.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The XSS has always sounded great to me on paper. A nextgen system for a low price of $299, and for the millions of people still with a 1080p TV, and a easy upgrade for those on the one S. But I personally don't see it doing well at launch. Tipically the premium consoles are the ones that sell the most at launch. The last time MS had 2 SKU's at launch was in 2005 with Xbox 360 core at $299. The case here with Xbox series S is a lot different then back then. So really there is no telling how it will perform. But at launch I do see the X selling better, that may indeed change in the coming months.

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
I'm sure there's a market for it, just like there's a market for 1080p Screens but personally I'd like my console to make use of my 4K TV.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
LOL.

Both of you, like most of the people who think this way, are not seeing the benefits of gamepass. It is not meant to be the only place you get your games, it is meant to make you play games you wouldn't be paying for, increasing your game time, your gaming taste, and overall, making you spend more money on the ecosystem. The same happens with Netflix. It is complimentary to your set of games you already pay for.
Maybe you're right and GamePass just isn't meant for people like myself. Time isn't limitless and I already have more games than I can play in my backlog lol adding a full catalog of games to just 'try out' would be insane.

Now ill throw in the obvious caveat of subbing for a month when a game i do really want drops. Which is why I'd happily buy a Series S if the price is in Switch territory.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
Series S will sell significantly less than Series X, probably not even close.
I'd be very surprised to see this happen. Xbox One S significantly outsells the Xbox One X, and that is a pattern that has repeated many times in console history (cheaper version of a console outsellling the more expensive version).

Last edited:

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
XSS isn't targeted for folks in online forums like ERA.

It's targeted at mass consumers where price is king and they can access on the cheap to hundreds of games. They don't care about resolution and they prob still have 1080p TVs.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
Bingo. This is the biggest problem with GamePass and any service like this. They dont tend to cater to the games that i enjoy. Sure theres a lot of games in general. But idc about 90% of them or played them years ago.

There aren't a lot of AAA single player games on the service that I care for, or many JRPGs jn general. And the ones that are certainly aren't there day 1 where the service would be saving me money.

I get the appeal. But just like Netflix where I don't watch all the B rated crap, I certainly don't want to play all this AA stuff on GamePass.
Game Pass isn't for everybody. Nobody disputes that. But your own personal tastes doesn't change the overall value of Game Pass xD

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
Ms is sitting on some neat data from the days of Xbox 360 Core model (later renamed Arcade) and they know how important it is to be attractive to both segments, hardcore gamers and casual gamers.
Xbox One was 2013 a premium model to attract both segments in one product but failed as the hardcore gamer didn't think a low spec with a 100 usd price tag above a better ps4 to be such a good deal.
Obviously Ms refuses to make that mistake again and I guess they are ready to release dates when these babies will launch but they are prepared to wait a very long time until Sony reveals their price tags.

Sony as a market leader should imo show some confidence in their products and lead the market and let the market know their price tags. Anyone else find Sony's behaviour confusing?

I'm getting both consoles anyway day 1 but where I understand Ms position completely I don't understand Sony's at all. Worst launch year ever.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony as a market leader should imo show some confidence in their products and lead the market and let the market know their price tags. Anyone else find Sony's behaviour confusing?

Not really. They're just trying to do exactly the same as they did last time they launched a console, and that worked out pretty well for them.

They know people are going to be falling over each other to buy Playstations unless the price is absolutely obscene. They can definitely afford to wait and see .

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK

They do have a point, though. My brother, for example, is a very casual player. He has an Xbox One and enjoys Call of Duty occasionally. I've told him to subscribe to Game Pass because it's great value, but he's not interested in paying more when he's happy with his Call of Duty. And he can't get Call of Duty on Game Pass.

Now I'm not sure how representative my brother will be of the wider market, but I think convincing people to pay £10 a month for games they don't necessarily want to play is not quite the easy sell so many here see it as.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
I disagree that resolution is overrated. Once I consumed content on a 1440p screen let alone 4K I just cant willingly go back to 1080p. Especially for a screen bigger than 32 inches.

Jan 9, 2018
I feel like the existence of the Xbox series S will justify the price of the Xbox series X which I could see being $599

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They do have a point, though. My brother, for example, is a very casual player. He has an Xbox One and enjoys Call of Duty occasionally. I've told him to subscribe to Game Pass because it's great value, but he's not interested in paying more when he's happy with his Call of Duty. And he can't get Call of Duty on Game Pass.

Now I'm not sure how representative my brother will be of the wider market, but I think convincing people to pay £10 a month for games they don't necessarily want to play is not quite the easy sell so many here see it as.
This. I couldn't even convince some of my casual friends to try out the free games from Gold/Plus as they only care about COD/2K

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020

you know this isn't representative of the market as a whole

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

I doubt anyone has said it'd be an easy sell to convince people to subscribe for games they don't want to play.

There are a lot of people out there that'd find lots of value (and games to play) in Gamepass. Convincing many of them to opt for Gamepass shouldn't be than onerous a task...especially if they can afford that.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix is good value but it never stopped me from going to the movies (which I really miss doing lately). One quirk that Game Pass has that Netflix doesn't is that games leaving the service get steep sales if you're a Game Pass subscriber. But maybe it's not directly comparable since owning a game isn't the same as getting out of the house and playing on a 60 ft. screen.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Most customers are on a 1080p TV and more than satisfied with their display.

In gamings main markets (NA, Europe, Japan) I dont doubt that, but in US I think 4K TV ownership is over a 1/3rd of the market iirc.

When you say 'more than satisfied' I wouldnt necessarily agree. A chunk of those owners will have aspirations to upgrade to 4K at some point, as 4K ownership continues to expand each year.

Deleted member 70824

Banned
Jun 2, 2020

You are 100% correct. Game Pass is not an easy sell for everyone. It's the truth.

It's the same when an exclusive game sells 10 million copies, to a user base of 100 million. It means that 90% of the user base didn't care enough to buy it.

MS are trying to make Game Pass into the Netflix of gaming. Here's what people don't know about Netflix: it took years before Netflix became the massive, ubiquitous service that it is today. Had Netflix cowered with every criticism and setback it faced in the early years, we wouldn't have it today.

That's why, MS will keep promoting it hard because they have to reach a breakthrough point for subscriber rates. They have to go through that same process that Netflix had to endure.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lol really? We just going to pretend the £$100 gap between Xbox one and PS4 wasn't a huge contributor to market share?

Yup, even 100 dollars is a lot of difference, specially in emerging markets. Here in México, the Switch is around 8000 pesos (like 400 dollars, more or less), the PS4 Slim around the same price as the Switch (it's a bundle tho), the Switch Lite is around 6000 pesos (like 300 dollars) and the Xbox One X is between 10,000 and 11,000 pesos (around 500 or 550 dollars)

Those are the price right now, not in deals, but even the best price we got for Switch or PS4 is the regular prices they have in USA (got my Switch in 300 dollars, the PS4 Slim the cheapest has been like 275 dollars, the Switch Lite the cheapest have been 200 dollars) Only the Xbox One X is cheaper than the regular price in USA when is sold in a deal, actually.

Also, right now the dollar here in MX is 22 pesos mexicanos (last year was 18), and recently digital goods as games or streaming services as Netflix got a tax, which only Microsoft decided to eat to dont't affect their customers and Nintendo managed to keep the tax for DLC, but Sony? They dont't have a regional price, which mean we mexican PSN customers are tied to how good or bad is our local currency to dollars, everything since games, DLC and even the Plus subscription (which got cheaper in certain countries, like México) got more expensive thanks to the tax.

Even if the PS5 DE is around 400 dollars here will cost more than 10,000 pesos. The Xbox Series S, if marketed between 6000 to 8000 pesos mexicanos (300-400 dollars), would be a crazy deal to mexican players to have access to next-gen games.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017

Series S will still play CoD though. Gamepass isn't meant for those casual players. It's an additional benefit to those chose to have it.

It doesn't inhibit you from buying games.

Their whole argument is "the games I play aren't on Gamepass." Cool, then don't buy Gamepass. I don't get it.

People just want to put down anything that isn't for them. I'm not buying a Series S, doesn't mean I don't see the significant value in it as a product.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
In gamings main markets (NA, Europe, Japan) I dont doubt that, but in US I think 4K TV ownership is over a 1/3rd of the market iirc.

When you say 'more than satisfied' I wouldnt necessarily agree. A chunk of those owners will have aspirations to upgrade to 4K at some point, as 4K ownership continues to expand each year.

2/3 is still most and even those who have aspirations to get a 4K and those who do have one already will still get great looking visuals. As stated before 4K TVs make Switch games look better not worse.

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
At 299€ the XSS would surely become interesting, might even consider pushing a PC upgrade for a few years.

Just adding to the price speculation, I'm not sure if it has made the round on Era but one of the main french retailer had a Leak on its preorder website a few day ago.

The disc PS5 would cost 499€ while the digital version is priced at 399€. Preorders are opened until the third of October.

XSX would be 399€ and XSS is set at 299€. Preorders are opened until the 13th of September.

The retailer appologized today to say that it was a mistake comitted by the website maintenance company but those prices seems to be quite beliveable.

Sorry if old!

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
Your OLED would still be nice for VRR and HDR.

It's unclear if the XSX version of a game has a 120 fps mode if the XSS would also have such a feature. It's going to vary. It's also unclear about how well the XSS can push higher resolutions of Xbox One games, too.

Because you have a high end television, I'd rather have the XSX model down the line with a bit of extra saving. Holding onto the Xbox One a little longer if you have one.
I appreciate the response. I'm currently just ps4 for now. I missed the xbox one after having a troubling past with multiple 360s, but I want to jump on game pass at some point to catch up on some games I missed out on though. Maybe I'll wait on series x after the first price drop or sale and hopefully at that point we will already have a nice catalog of next gen games for it.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
As always with these topics I kind of scratch my head. I don't mind more options but the people saying this will be successful, we just had a generation where the Xbox One S was cheaper than the PS4 Slim for years and it didn't drive a meaningful difference in adoption.

2/3 is still most and even those who have aspirations to get a 4K and those who do have one already will still get great looking visuals. As stated before 4K TVs make Switch games look better not worse.

Depends on the art style, Breath of the Wild looked good on my OLED but Three Houses was another story.

Lol really? We just going to pretend the £$100 gap between Xbox one and PS4 wasn't a huge contributor to market share?

The PS3 launched a year later and 200 dollars more expensive and yet it still did comparable to the 360. Price alone is not the biggest factor, especially of early adoption. The issue with the Xbox One was that it was more expensive and less capable and everyone knew it.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
As always with these topics I kind of scratch my head. I don't mind more options but the people saying this will be successful, we just had a generation where the Xbox One S was cheaper than the PS4 Slim for years and it didn't drive a meaningful difference in adoption.

Depends on the art style, Breath of the Wild looked good on my OLED but Three Houses was another story.

By the time the One S and Slim arrived people and friend groups were already pretty much set. It's really difficult to drive a change like that unless you have a massive amount of exclusive games to close that gap (PS3), and MS didn't have that.

At the start of the gen is a very different story and could be a deciding factor (PS4 being $100 cheaper was a huge deal).

I played 3 Houses and didn't really notice anything wrong. Guess just my anecdotal experience though.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
At 299€ the XSS would surely become interesting, might even consider pushing a PC upgrade for a few years.

Just adding to the price speculation, I'm not sure if it has made the round on Era but one of the main french retailer had a Leak on its preorder website a few day ago.

The disc PS5 would cost 499€ while the digital version is priced at 399€. Preorders are opened until the third of October.

XSX would be 399€ and XSS is set at 299€. Preorders are opened until the 13th of September.

The retailer appologized today to say that it was a mistake comitted by the website maintenance company but those prices seems to be quite beliveable.

Sorry if old!

I find it hard to believe retailers have the prices already. I doubt that anyone outside a handful of people in each company know the expected prices yet, and there's a chance they're both still allowing for some wiggle room depending on what the other does.

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
I find it hard to believe retailers have the prices already. I doubt that anyone outside a handful of people in each company know the expected prices yet, and there's a chance they're both still allowing for some wiggle room depending on what the other does.

You're right, seems still to early for this. And accessories like the gamepad at 49€, 10€ cheaper than the DS4s seem too low as well.
Don't see the final prices being far from those tho.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019

The PS3 launched a year later and 200 dollars more expensive and yet it still did comparable to the 360. Price alone is not the biggest factor, especially of early adoption. The issue with the Xbox One was that it was more expensive and less capable and everyone knew it.
So you expect similar success if the XSX is cheaper than the PS5? Given that it is a more capable machine?

Xbox offering the most powerful and cheapest entry seems to have both these bases covered, which is the whole point.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
So you expect similar success if the XSX is cheaper than the PS5? Given that it is a more capable machine?

Xbox offering the most powerful and cheapest entry seems to have both these bases covered, which is the whole point.

No because as I said, price isn't the only factor in the success of a given console. Brand wise, Xbox is not there with PlayStation or Nintendo at this point.

The whole point? Microsoft hasn't even announced Lockhart yet!