• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
I think they will at least get the all digital PS5 under the cost of a series X if not both SKUs. That puts the diskless PS5 squarely in that 'best value proposition' area.

In a recession I think people with less cash are more likely to stick with what they have for longer and wait for a price drop for next gen. Why rush out and spend even 300 when the price sensitive can stick will cross gen for a year? I don't think there are any winners for luxury products in a recession. It does make GamePass more attractive, though.

True. But gaming hardware and software sales have also skyrocketed during this pandemic. Millions of people have bought a console in the past few months. I actually wonder how much that will impact the sales of the next gen systems.

If this recession forces people to stay with their current console for longer, it puts MS 1st party studios in a good position. Because MS has committed their 1st party games to cross-gen for the next couple of years, they can sell to Xbox One + PC + Series S/X owners.

On the other hand, Sony's 1st party studios have completely stopped making games for PS4. The new 1st party games can only be sold to PS5 owners. So they'll want to sell as many PS5's as quickly as they can sell them.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not everyone has a computer that will be able to comfortably run next generation games, and not everyone wants to spend the money on a computer powerful enough to do that. And some people just prefer the console experience.

Gamepass machine or not (I could see it being a gamepass/multiplayer game machine if Gold goes away) the low price of the system will absolutely get it to sell pretty well with the casual audience that's budget minded or doesn't care about resolution and it performs better than PS5 (performance wise, not resolution wise.)

I think if many PS5 gamers pick up an XSS for Gamepass and the exclusives, that would be perfect for MS

Yes, no doubt. What I'm trying to say is that people who are not particularly interested in buying a Series X or PS5, but are interested in gamepass - may not be sold on a next gen console period. Or at least, the audience may be smaller than your traditional enthusiasts. Presumably next gen games (at least initially) are going to run okay on today's PCs - give or take some settings. So, if it's simply about having access to Gamepass games - maybe it's appealing, depending on the price point. But not sure it's going to attract a big audience.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Even for $299 depends of ps5 de price. If ps5 de is $399 this one is already dead. For $100 more you take more than double gpu power.
They wouldn't be competing against each other though. At those prices I'm easily getting both, because the Series S would become a GamePass machine.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
If you think PS5DE is 399, you better also think XSS is 249.

Why shouldn't the PS5DE be 399 if the Series S can hit 299? From what we know, the BOM is at about 420? Eatin 50$ on a digital edition is nothing. The Series S still has High End SSD and CPU build in. The ONE S still costs 299 Dollars. How can you release a Next Gen Console at a cheaper Price than current Gen?

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i've learned over the years that when era thinks something is a brilliant business move it's probably not that great.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
It will depends if the price and about the PS5 price, I can see it the best selling console for Microsoft though.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
That Resident Evil insider Dusk Golem actually said Microsoft are better at absorbing production costs. So in the end X will be cheaper, end result is the same either way.

MS willingness to absorb costs and sell at a greater loss doesnt mean the SX is cheaper to make than the PS5. All reliable rumours point to the opposite.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh 249 Series X is indeed possible though? If Sony can take hit, MS can take the hit too.
Btw the BOM of PS5 is 450.

That's probably for the Version with a Blu-Ray Drive.

I'm not saying Xbox can't take a hit. But a worse GPU does not equate a 250$ difference. Only if you think the Series X will only cost 400$. If that's the case, the PS5 DE edition will cost 299$ because there is simply no way the X is cheaper than the PS5, let alone 100$.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of assumption about so-called average consumer, like they go in the store and just buy the cheapest option available.

Who is the average consumer? Does the average Italian (or someone from the PSland) consumer know about Xbox SS and game pass? Does the average Italian consumer buy console at launch? Will the average Italian consumer consider buying an Xbox SS even if it's 150€ cheaper than the PS5?

im just saying, i wouldn't be shocked if a game eventually comes out that only works on the Series X and not the S
Yup. And how many (Japanese, AA, indies) will just skip the ecosystem because they don't have the resources to port their game on these systems? How the port gonna look like? If the Xbox SS represent 25% of the 1/4 of the console market who's gonna give a shit? Jeff should write an article on why the Xbox Series S is maybe not such a smart move by Microsoft his analysis is incomplete.

More like 900p, assuming it scales linearly with teraflop count and that the Series S is precisely 4tf and not a little higher. This is a naive assumption since we don't know the total technical specs of all the systems, and we don't know the requirements of the demo (but that doesn't mean it could only be lower - it could also mean that it's a bit higher than 900p). For example, the Series S presumably has more memory bandwidth per FLOP than PS5 and Series X do, because while it only has approx 1/3 of the tflops of Series X, it would have much, much more than 1/3 the memory bandwidth. In some games that won't make any difference, in others it might mean it "punches above it's weight" in terms of resolution. There are many more technical specs than just memory bandwidth that is unknown, however! And every game engine responds differently.

If you want to do similar naive calculations, the process is:

10.2 (peak ps5) / 4 (assumed Series S) = 2.55
Square root of 2.55 = 1.597, which is the scaling factor. (We do this because resolution is two numbers, but the "p" number is just the vertical number only. For example, 2160p is 4x the pixels of 1080p, despite only being "2x higher" as a number. 2 is the sqrt of 4, which would give us the correct number.)

Divide single axis resolution (1440) by this factor to work out what a "PS5 game on Series S" would scale at approximately. In this case, a 1440p game on PS5 if it scaled linear to teraflop is 901 vertical lines. Multiply a number by the scaling factor to do the inverse, e.g. 1080p on Series S gives 1724p on PS5.

The scaling factor between Series X to Series S is 1.74 (example: 1080p on S = 1879p on X)

The scaling factor between Series X and PS5 is 1.091 (example: 1440p on PS5 = 1571p on X)
ty

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't there from a start of a generation. Perception is hard to shake once it is established. MS want the messaging clear from the start.
Yes, this is the different factor. But also at the start of a new gen you have to compete against the marketing and hype of any console launching at the same time.
True. But gaming hardware and software sales have also skyrocketed during this pandemic. Millions of people have bought a console in the past few months. I actually wonder how much that will impact the sales of the next gen systems.

If this recession forces people to stay with their current console for longer, it puts MS 1st party studios in a good position. Because MS has committed their 1st party games to cross-gen for the next couple of years, they can sell to Xbox One + PC + Series S/X owners.

On the other hand, Sony's 1st party studios have completely stopped making games for PS4. The new 1st party games can only be sold to PS5 owners. So they'll want to sell as many PS5's as quickly as they can sell them.
Yes, Sony have gone all in on trying to get people to the new gen as fast as possible. We'll see if that riskier strategy pays off for them.

To be fair to them with regards to stopping making games for this gen sooner, they have given the PS4 some amazing new exclusives in 2020.

davygee

Jun 13, 2020
On paper a Series S at $299 or even less sounds like a great deal, but how does Microsoft market this console when they've not even shown Next Gen gaming on the Premium (Series X) console?

This is the differentiator between PS5 and XSX/S is that we are seeing games running on PS5 but we've yet to see any NG games running on Xbox hardware????

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
We'll have to see if this two console model is even sustainable. I must say I'm quite concerned where this leads to.

Deleted member 70824

Banned
Jun 2, 2020
Yes, this is the different factor. But also at the start of a new gen you have to compete against the marketing and hype of any console launching at the same time.

Yes, Sony have gone all in on trying to get people to the new gen as fast as possible. We'll see if that riskier strategy pays off for them.

To be fair to them with regards to stopping making games for this gen sooner, they have given the PS4 some amazing new exclusives in 2020.
It's just unfortunate luck that both companies new consoles are launching at a time when the economy has taken a hit. It will impact sales but we don't yet know how, or how much.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'm primarily an xbox gamer, but if series S can handle the same games at 1080p, It'll be what my PS5 sits along side.

I care less about resolution and more about getting to play as many games as possible. If Series S is cheap enough to allow me to own both consoles I'm a happy camper.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I feel it could go two ways really. It could either be an absolute sensation that will sell like absolute crazy, or it'll be the "peasant" platform that no one really wants.

Realistically, it'll probably do fine, but I think the majority will be looking to buy either the PS5 or Xbox Series X -- and, frankly, I'm including "casuals" in that.

We need more information really, though.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
That's probably for the Version with a Blu-Ray Drive.

I'm not saying Xbox can't take a hit. But a worse GPU does not equate a 250$ difference. Only if you think the Series X will only cost 400$. If that's the case, the PS5 DE edition will cost 299$ because there is simply no way the X is cheaper than the PS5, let alone 100$.
It's not just worse GPU though, less RAM(maybe also slower than XSX), way smaller SoC(about half of XSX SoC size), smaller case, no disc-tray, so 500/250 is always possible.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

Its possible MS held back showing games that are ready to ship in the next few years but the impression I got from their showcase is most of their first party games are very far out. It's just Halo at launch and then Forza probably around the same time next year. Continued current gen support is mostly up to what third parties decide to do with their games.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
I'm tempted just to get a Series S at launch and wait until 2021/22 to get a PS5/XSX.
Depending on the price I might end up with a PS5 Digital as my launch machine though.

I have a feeling the first year or two is going to be poor, just like this current gen. The first year of ths gen was probably the worst first year I've ever seen actually.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
People discounted me when I said this before, but i think they've got an ace in the hole with xbox all access (where you get the console and GP for one flat monthly rate), I expect XSS with be the main offer for that

Sure its a glorified credit scheme, but for cash poor gamers it's ridiculous value.

300 would probably mean you can get the console with Gamepass Ultimate and the upgrade option for 22.5 or 25$ as the initial entry price.

If 400, the initial entry price would be around 30 I guess ?

It will depend of how many retailers have accepted to join the program but Spencer said that they would push it for the XSX launch.

The response that we've seen where we've tested All Access has been great, but as you said, it's been limited in terms of the market. So you're going to see a much broader market and retailer support for All Access.
Xbox All Access is going to be critical to both our launch for Xbox Series X as well as just the overall generation," Spencer said.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The comment about PS5 owners buying an S as a gamepass machine is interesting. I would expect ps5 to be the sales leader, but if MS can get some traction as a second device in playstation households, and start getting people to play via gamepass - that gets them traction with users, reduces revenue to Sony and could be a great way to slowly transition people across (or at least open up the possibility)

Would be a long term play - multi-year kind of thing, but woudl be interesting to see what happens

Microsoft's messaging has been mixed, but they have made one thing clear. They are done trying to "win" the console war in a traditional way. I don't believe it's inflammatory to say that trying to outsell Sony with Series X consoles has never been in the business plan.

So they are saying to their loyal, hardcore gamers: "Here is the Series X, built for you. Enjoy the power." There is nothing about which to complain.

But the messaging has never been ALL IN on selling the XSX as the main console. I believe we will find out why when the Series S marketing begins. If I'm right, it will be the main event that truly receives the red carpet and flashing lights. I could be wrong but forecasting is a part of my irl job. The math has led me here. It could be that the cat and mouse between MS/Sony has muddied the waters in regards to their true intentions, but I'm just playing with the data I have in front of me.

I also believe Sony is crunching this same data, and realizes the threat of the Series S. Enthusiast forumites spit at it, but this thing really could hit the ground in a full sprint. I believe we're looking in the wrong direction, when thinking about the pricing and details of which Xbox console Sony is concerned.

The next few months will be interesting.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I have an eye on it, has to be said. I feel like there are so many hardware/ecosystem options floating around at the moment that are interesting to me.

PS5 with access to the entire library of PS4 titles I've missed out, plus VR and other such things, re-activating my lapsed PSN+.
Series S, a low cost entry to the next gen, possibly in a nice small form factor.
Xcloud, possibly the best positioned streaming service so far, as long as it can get to more devices than just laptops and phones.
Oculus Quest & future revisions, no wires VR, the best way to do it. Underpowered now, but surely cannot be long until we hit a new version.
Plus whatever happens in the Nintendo world, I'd be all over a Super Switch.

Seriously incredible times in terms of platform diversity right now.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So when he says secondary console he is assuming everyone that buys this will buy a PS5 also. Because there's absolutely no reason to get this over the Series X if you want to stay on the XBOX family.

I don't know, I don't see myself buying this on top of one of the other next-gen consoles, maybe down the line after some price cuts. And honestly I don't see the "general public" that many talk about in this thread, picking this up as a secondary console over a Switch.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
If soon "almost no 4K game will run native 4K", then that means XBox Series S will suffer, no?

I mean, if developers can put the resources in the assets instead of the resolution, then it will be harder for Series S to keep up.

I predict lots of 900p games with poor performance if that's the case. We'll see I guess.

Invoker

Chicken Chaser
May 29, 2019
So when he says secondary console he is assuming everyone that buys this will buy a PS5 also. Because there's absolutely no reason to get this over the Series X if you want to stay on the XBOX family.

I don't know, I don't see myself buying this on top of one of the other next-gen consoles, maybe down the line after some price cuts. And honestly I don't see the "general public" that many talk about in this thread, picking this up as a secondary console over a Switch.

I live in a country (Brazil) where Xbox is very popular (even though not more than playstation), and the price of a next generation console is something that is always almost Impossible to pay.

The most popular console here, in people's home, is the Xbox 360 followed by the ps2, because of piracy.

But that doesn't mean a lot of people doesn't buy next gen consoles here, It has a huge market for games and the majority of people here, doesn't have an 4K tv.

I can see the Series S being a success here, because It would provide the lowest price for a next gen console and game pass, which is cheap here.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I live in a country (Brazil) where Xbox is very popular (even though not more than playstation), and the price of a next generation console is something that is always almost Impossible to pay.

The most popular console here, in people's home, is the Xbox 360 followed by the ps2, because of piracy.

But that doesn't mean a lot of people doesn't buy next gen consoles here, It has a huge market for games and the majority of people here, doesn't have an 4K tv.

I can see the Series S being a success here, because It would provide the lowest price for a next gen console and game pass, which is cheap here.

Oh yeah, of course on different countries it can thrive based on the economy for sure, I saw someone here talking about the same in Mexico.

Oct 31, 2017
Too many assumptions in the article. I'll wait to see how things turn out before I agree or disagree with it. We don't have price of the next consoles yet and I feel it's too early for articles like this.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless Microsoft or AMD has something that I dunno, I don't think they can match Nvidia and DLSS 2 in image reconstruction. They have a long way to go.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The "reconstruction is indistinguishable from 4k" thing wasn't true this gen and we have no idea if Sony and MS' implementations will be anywhere near as good as DLSS. Other than that flight of fancy I agree with the overall sentiment.

Deleted member 70824

Banned
Jun 2, 2020

The Series S has the potential to sell a lot more than the Series X

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Nah...If $400 PS4DE is legit, that's really the only machine I need in the house to access most of the 3rd party games out there. I can't remember the last time I played $60 for something that wasn't exclusive. 3rd party stuff goes down in price so quickly. I can get so many cheap games with or without Gamepass, $15 games, $30 games, they are all around. I do think the hype of GP is a little overstated as you can find deals just about everywhere, every week across platforms today. Being a good entry point into 3rd party is not that compelling to me with PS on the market @$400.

But it is smart having a nice price-gap between units.

Good example https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/ps4-playstation-store-games-sale-cheap-deals-august-2020/

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I don't agree with "Resolution-reconstruction techniques are the future", and they are a bit optimistic with their 130$ GPU running ultra-games at 1080p60, but otherwise there are some decent arguments in there.

For many people, the rumored XSS at 300$ is a very attractive next-gen console.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
Nah...If $400 PS4DE is legit, that's really the only machine I need in the house to access most of the 3rd party games out there. I can't remember the last time I played $60 for something that wasn't exclusive. 3rd party stuff goes down in price so quickly. I can get so many cheap games with or without Gamepass, $15 games, $30 games, they are all around. I do think the hype of GP is a little overstated as you can find deals just about everywhere, every week across platforms today. Being a good entry point into 3rd party is not that compelling to me with PS on the market @$400.

But it is smart having a nice price-gap between units.

Good example https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/ps4-playstation-store-games-sale-cheap-deals-august-2020/

otoh, those prices quickly adds up. 15 bucks here, 10 there.. even if you only find 20 games on Gamepass that you like, you would still have saved.. 200 or so dollars worth of games.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
otoh, those prices quickly adds up. 15 bucks here, 10 there.. even if you only find 20 games on Gamepass that you like, you would still have saved.. 200 or so dollars worth of games.
$200 over the course of a year is the equivalent of going out to eat fastfood or pizza 20-30 times. lol...This is not how people look at savings. It has to be massive and front center, not looking back at two years and going oh "I've saved up $500". Don't get me wrong, I count my pennies, but the savings is not immediate, and people can go months without buying anything new. The all you can eat is simply not practical to me, I have moments in gaming where all I'm playing is Smash Brothers and Mario Kart for months. Other times when it's just Monster Hunter and SFV, again for months. I'm not buying anything all my time is invested in those 1-2 game purchases. That's when stuff like PS+ and GP is meaningless to me because I don't need a huge variety. There's a lot of consoles that are just for Fifa/COD/2K or GTAV.

I'm just arguing the flip side, I get the immense value and appeal of GP. Just stating it's not as universal as forum geeks like us think. Not everyone is running through 5-7 games a month.