• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surely people will understand why this is happening and not act like entitled children, right?

And surely people are going to think more than half a second before posting and realize that no direct doesn't mean no announcements at all, right?

Last edited:

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
He didn't clarify the year.

June 2020 direct confirmed.
May 2021 direct confirmed.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Makes sense. I would expect the random twitter announcements to continue for a while.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough if true. I guess they'll continue with Twitter announcements and see where the economy is a few months from now.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Urgh, this has been a painful first half of the year even pre-pandemic. Imagine Animal Crossing had actually come out in 2019 like originally planned.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm surprisingly fine with this :)

edit: and of course it's completely understandable why they can't really put together a great direct when everyone has to work from home.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We just need to accept that - times are trying. I do wonder though what that means in terms of planned releases? Will they be released anyway with less marketing? Or is their whole schedule of events just being pushed forward?

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's fine with me. I'm not expecting one 'till August. Expecting one for May isn't worth the time, tears, or torn out hair.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably important to note he specifically says there will still be announcements, just not in the form of Directs.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Goddamnit

June without Nintendo news just feels empty. I can't blame them for obvious reasons, but it still fucking sucks

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Who knew the Japanese workplace was so far behind technologically.

The issue is that while many people outside of Japan view the country as on the cutting edge of technology, this isn't the case will all aspects of its business culture. In a story in The Washington Post, reporter Simon Denyer explains that many IT departments and corporate strategies haven't changed in Japan since the 1990s. Companies still regularly use fax to send documents, and they have "little awareness of cloud computing or video conferencing tools."

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bummer but understandable.

I imagine it would be prohibitively expensive to try and film something like this remotely while still adhering to social distancing practices. I imagine we may still get some trailers here and there.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Really disappointing if true.
I don't doubt it mind you, and Grubb has been right last time, I just think that we'll probably still get some mini-direct again. Just a smaller one instead of a big one as usual.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If the games aren't ready then the games aren't ready. Sucks but it's also fine at the same time. We'll see what happens come the summer/autumn when things are hopefully back to normal.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im guessing they wont have much, if anything in the way of first party games for the rest of this year. Maybe mario still comes out, but if i were to guess id say paper mario and any other "big" first party releases got pushed to next year

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Totally understand why. Sucks but I get it, there's more important things to worry about.

It will still feel weird without an E3 or E3-like event this year though.

Surely people will understand why this is happening and not act like entitled children, right?
You're funny, do you write your own material?

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
So July it is? They have to unravel their slate of games for summer and fall right? they wont do it via random tweet announcements are they?

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Platform warring and concern trolling. Long history of infractions for same behaviour.
The only reason why we barely got any directs this year was 'because they're keeping everything for June' and now this?

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I wonder how they plan to announce all these Mario things if there's no June major event... running out of time if it's post-June?

I guess they like to "shadow drop" things, but it seems like you'd want a whole "thing" to surround this. COVID19 really fucking everything up, everywhere.

The only reason why we barely got any directs this year was 'because they're keeping everything for June' and now this?
hey did you know there's a pandemic happening that has killed a quarter of a million people worldwide

it's pretty fucked up you should look into it