• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Plenty of us are willing to pay for a service that can handle streaming but we're not even given the option.
And that sucks and can be frustrating, but you do still have access to non-streaming gaming, don't you?

I'm sorry not every service or product you may or may not care about isn't tailored to your needs and current tech situation.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In other places their tagline is more accurate. The one I quoted is from the Google App Store listing - and could get them into trouble.

That's just being sillyly pedantic. That's like calling streaming on Netflix downloading. Whilst at a technical level you're always downloading bytes, at a consumer level streaming and downloading are different things.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So about 16mbps

seems pretty average.....Netflix HD is around there and 4K reaching 25

6GB per hour seems par for the course honestly

That's on the low end. If you're playing in "4K" it's closer to 20GB/h. That shit adds up quick especially if you're taking the full plunge and putting 3-5 hours a day into Stadia.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I used 300 gig last month on my 4g hotspot.

From buying Black ops 4 and later Modern wafer and dealing with their patches.

Downloading apex etc.

The service is unlimited with a 60 gig permonth fairuse policy (who knows).

I thought to myself that was a heavy use. But the games are installed. And bar patches.. I'm mean 600 gig..Jesus.

How long does a game take to download over 4g?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
That's on the low end. If you're playing in "4K" it's closer to 20GB/h. That shit adds up quick especially if you're taking the full plunge and putting 3-5 hours a day into Stadia.

yes true and also higher frame rates demand even more........forgot that this is just low end. Damn you could download most games in a matter of 3 hours of use

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
Netflix 1080p uses 1 GB per hour, Google uses 6 GB per hour. Google should allow you to drop down to 720p and 30 FPS, but at the end of the day streaming video sites like Netflix are widespread so their is definitely an internet user market for it.

Oct 27, 2017
I still think this tech arrived way too early. The important piece to this streaming future, is to get U.S. Legislation involved in cable company area monopoly (i.e. Comcast cock-blocking Verizon, Google and Century Link in various areas) so people have access to better and faster service. Data caps are also still a thing for people in the U.S.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Another problem is some ISP say you have unlimited on entry level plans in Europe for example and nearly every case no one will test the real limit but some do and get a warning call to pay for a premium tier or business line. The untold limit is way higher than the crazy low data caps in the US but regular play with Stadia could see you get flagged.

Last edited:

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
e14fa824-994d-4364-b954-87d3a620bcc7_text.gif

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See now if Google Fiber rolled out in more places this would be great but when you have to deal with Time Warner and Comcast monopolies this service is DOA.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
You could reasonably take issue with the console part too, given that it requires a chromecast, and takes up a USB slot on your TV as well as power socket. When is a console not a console?
Except it doesn't. I've been playing on my Chrome browser while "listening" to my online course on the other monitor

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
And not everyone has limited internet.
Always these same posts in these threads as if it were impossible to succeed because not everyone can use it.

I highly doubt that most people are going to be using most of their monthly data each month just for streaming games.

And even if they have unlimited data, phone & ISP companies will throttle your speeds after a certain amount.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt that most people are going to be using most of their monthly data each month just for streaming games.

And even if they have unlimited data, phone & ISP companies will throttle your speeds after a certain amount.
4k video streaming is about 14GB an hour, it's not like this is some new event for ISP's

Deleted member 18192

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Caps and throttling in 2019 lul , love my unlimited never throttled gigabit for $50 a month. Still have zero interest in stadia, lack of crossplay biggest issue for me, well that and the pricing structure

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Even if you have an uncapped data plan, they'll still throttle your ass over a certain amount and not tell you until you complain and then it magically starts working again.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Um, people who have rent/mortgages & bills to pay, along with buying groceries & having kids to take care of & feed (if they happen to have any)?

That's a ton of people. Not just in this country (the US).
I have expendable income and would gladly pay for unlimited, but it literally is not an option where I live. The kicker? I live in Seattle. My building just has one provider.

The issue isn't just cost. It's a complete lack of options.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who has capped Internet these days?
What a naive question. A lot of people do. The Time Warner Cable and Charter merger only happened if they agreed to not implement data caps for seven years. There are less than four years left on that deal assuming nothing changes. I would bet good money once their time is up data caps will be introduced.

Oct 1, 2019
I have fiber and no cap. I use about a terabyte a month now. I kind of want to get this just to see how much bandwidth I could use in a month... I could easily hit a petabyte.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think even if you don't have a cap, extensive use of stadia will probably lead to your ass being throttled hard

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
This is part of the reason i don't see streaming becoming the future of gaming

games are software, and it's inherently inefficient to use software this way

the only time streaming actually makes sense is when you're talking about streaming a game that is both very high in graphical fidelity and relatively limited in overall play time

otherwise it quickly becomes more bandwidth-efficient to just download and run the thing, unless you just don't have the hardware

and the problem with "not having the hardware" is that hardware prices drop faster than internet infrastructure improves

This. And posters on this site want streaming over physical media & digital for gaming?

Streaming gaming isn't the same as streaming music, TV shows & movies.

According to this:
only 17% of US households have a data cap and 21% are not sure and 62% don't have one ...
And i never had my data capped in 20 years in Germany.

Unlimited is unlimited in NZ because we don't let major corporations control us

While it's good news, not everyone are as lucky.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
People outside of America, in places like NZ and Australia (and probably others I don't know about).
I know lots of people that have capped data, I only got unlimited recently and I pay through the nose for it.
Yeah, Australia in particular used to be notorious for shitty speeds and absurdly caps.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
this is part of the reason i don't see streaming becoming the future of gaming

games are software, and it's inherently inefficient to use software this way
I mean, I don't think that gaming makes sense for streaming yet either, but software in general is going *extremely* hard into what is effectively a streaming model with SaaS.