• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how fucked up gamergaters are and the lengths they go to make life miserable for journos, this is very bad.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wishing the best for all the industry folks and journalist for the absolute shitty situation ESA has left them in.
Considering how fucked up gamergaters are and the lengths they go to make life miserable for journos, this is very bad.

It's like August 2014 never ended.

OP
OP
DerbyCityDerek
Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
Anyone has any advice on how to handle this? I know a person who needs some advice regarding this situation. All I could think of is phone number change.
Steve Bowling posted a great thread on Twitter summarizing some steps you should take.

Broadly, tell your friend to...

A. Contact their carrier, explain the situation, and change their phone number

B. Set up two-factor authentication on their Google/AppleID accounts and frankly anything else that allows it

C. Be cautious with unexpected packages and visitors, and screen phone calls

D. Be in touch with local law enforcement the moment any threat is made containing personal information

Last edited:

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Updated the thread guidelines. Please do not post the original video that first publicized this.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Steve Bowling posted a great thread on Twitter summarizing some steps you should take.

B. Set up two-factor authentication on their Google/AppleID accounts and frankly anything else that allows it

D. Be in touch with local law enforcement the moment any threat is made containing personal information
C is especially frustrating because those of us who work from home often just get packages from PR with documents or marketing materials or the like.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh no. Jesus fucking christ.

This is going to hurt a lot of people.

God, ESA better be taken to the fucking task for this.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
We need a new word for this because this level of malfeasance isn't a "leak."

Publicly accessible private info is terrible and the ESA deserves to be sued for this because we all know how bad gamergate crowd is.

At the same time I hope this leads to some push back from game devs and publishers because most of them have been ignoring or downplaying how toxic or dangerous some of their fans are and they have some responsibility in shaping that subculture.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
According to the article posted in the OP, it's entirely possible there's already a GDPR issue, as the site was accessible from Europe and contained private info on European citizens. This is admittedly an area where I personally am not super well educated.

Yes this means it's impacted. If your users are citizens of the EU you are affected.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

The thread is here:

Last edited:

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
Give my game 10/10 or I'll send you a delicious cake ;).

But seriously, this terrible.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Is this how E3 ends? With a multi million dollar lawsuit?
Others will take its place. If I'm an exhibitor, member of the press, content creator, VIP, I'm looking to join a class action or hoping a prosecutor's office somewhere is building a case for criminal negligence against the ESA. This breach isn't the sort of thing that should blow over after a fine. It was bad enough in 2015 when psychopaths had to work to unearth their targets' info. Now the ESA has just handed it over for free.

Ion

Jun 2, 2018
Terrible.
ESA is lucky that previous stupidity hasn't trickled out to the mainstream over the years.

Kirikocho

Dec 30, 2018
ESA gonna pay a lot of money for settlements or straight out court judgement, well deserved as well, how can you have so much negligence it's unbelievable.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
How do you even do this "accidentally"?. Jesus, I feel bad for whoever got their personal information exposed.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
How do you even do this "accidentally"?
Sheer incompetence. There should always be an organized plan for the segmentation of public/nonpublic data hosted on any kind of internet-connected service as well as strict access control guards around any nonpublic data, and that was clearly not observed here.

Nov 8, 2017
How do you even do this "accidentally"?. Jesus, I feel bad for whoever got their personal information exposed.

I was once sent a list of names in a spreadsheet to upload to a website. Good thing I checked the document, because the person who sent it to me fucked up the data export and the spreadsheet actually contained not just the relevant names, it contained the names, addresses, date of birth, sallary, and phone number of every person in the entire organization.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, since Venturebeat names the Twitter/Youtuber person, Sophia Narwitz of Nichegamer, she also has an account on Kiwifarms and frequents it, and also frequents KiA. She is not a person you want to spotlight or praise.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Well, since Venturebeat names the Twitter/Youtuber person, Sophia Narwitz of Nichegamer, she also has an account on Kiwifarms and frequents it, and also frequents KiA. She is not a person you want to spotlight or praise.
Oh god. I mean, I consider Kiwifarms users to be trash persons as is but KiA? Yep, she definitely should not be given a stage here.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And could very well be the person who delivered the message to the likes of Kiwifarms, a known harassment site who has had it with many media reporters.
A dipshit finding it out first doesn't change the fact that they found it out first. I see this as VentureBeat crediting their source, and I think that is fair.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
This is fucking horrible can you mention the shit stains crawling out of the woodwork to harass these journalists? Jesus what a fuckup.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
You know? This is crazy. I could understand why someone would have interest in acquiring the personal information of certain people to do evil things with it, but to go after people who write about videogames, of all people, just shows how fucked up our priorities have become.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
cool my info is actually on that list too. Explains why i had 6 phone calls and 10 random text messages. Good job ESA.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Thankfully the address listed for me is old, and the email I used was a business email. The only bit of information from mine that personally identifiable is my phone number which I can deal with.