• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly (?) enough, at least one YouTube channel is criticizing ResetEra for its response to the news, about how it's trying to bury it.

The reaction from a lot of people see this leak as karma, since apparently a narrative of gaming journalists as a problem has been brewing in those spaces. They even singled out Patrick Klepek. Pretty awful stuff.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
About GDPR and ESA breach:

"GDPR fines can amount to €20 million or 4% of net revenue, whichever is greater. According to the ESA's 2018 IRS form 990 filing, the organization's net revenue amounted to $35.1 million, making it eligible for the €20 million ($22.2 million) penalty if data protection groups decide to pursue the matter. However, given that the ESA does not have an EU presence, enforcement of GDPR penalties may be difficult.

"The number of individuals affected, the type of information leaked and the appropriateness of the security measures in place at the time of a breach are some of the factors that would be taken into account," he explained. "All of this said, it's still unclear how—if at all—the GDPR would practically be enforced against an entity without an EU-headquarters like the ESA. This represents one of the significant limitations of GDPR. Also, evidence suggests that data protection authorities are being bombarded with complaints and can often only investigate the biggest and most serious incidents due to resource constraints."

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
Mod Edit: name removed is on the list. Two people who have, up until now, tried their best to remain anonymous with their work.

Feel sorry for everyone who has been hit by this. Hope everyone is, and remains safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
As much as I dislike seeing [READ STAFF POST BEFORE POSTING] on every thread, it probably should be added here...

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen the list...and I'm on it.

Not worried in the slightest; it definitely sucks and it's soured my feelings on the ESA that bit more and even my interest in attending next year's E3, but life goes on. I'm not going to get overly-dramatic or anything. Another day, another intention to keep writing about video games. Although I'll tell you what I do find hilarious (if one can even find humour in such a thing like this) and providing that the context in such words is the same as I'm perceiving it but....I've seen someone proclaim: "...if you're on this list and you're not covering this....YOU'RE PROTECTING THE ESA!!!"

Can't be anything down to other writing/personal commitments or anything of the sort. No, I'M SUPER-DUPER-CORRUPT'n'SHIT.......who knew?
This is incredibly short sighted. Sure, you aren't worried, but plenty of others have every right to be fucking terrified right now.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Posting for the new page. Let's keep it in mind and not mention people who haven't gone public.

Official Staff Communication
Hello everyone as a reminder please be extra careful about not making posts that may include clues about how to find the list -- it's all over the place at this point but we can do our part to not help it spread further.

Also you can confirm who is NOT on the list, but please take care not to confirm that anyone is on the list unless that individual has volunteered that information publicly. Thank you

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Interestingly (?) enough, at least one YouTube channel is criticizing ResetEra for its response to the news, about how it's trying to bury it.

To be fair, the mods did originally delete threads about it, but that was really just a knee jerk "Someone could get hurt!" and I'm pretty sure the video you mention was uploaded after this thread was established

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are probably so many people fucking terrified right now and I feel so fucking awful for them. Public data leaks and it's awful and shitty, but gamers are a special brand of dangerous obsessive vindictive assholes who will absolutely use this against some writer and god forbid their families.

This is painfully true. It is appalling to think some people will legitimately have to fear for their lives because they said the "wrong thing" about a fucking computer game.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
There are probably so many people fucking terrified right now and I feel so fucking awful for them. Public data leaks and it's awful and shitty, but gamers are a special brand of dangerous obsessive vindictive assholes who will absolutely use this against some writer and god forbid their families.

Aye, gamers hate journalists more than anything.

Well, besides Epic Games Store.

Nov 23, 2017
Most people are overreacting here. If someone knew a particular journalist's name, because of the leaks due to Equifax and now Capital One, they could buy a lot more comprehensive information including finances, income, and much more. Worrying about 2,000 member leak (which is certainly unfortunate) seems to be worrying about a puddle in the middle of a thunderstorm.
What the fuck are you talking about dude, like what? What does Equifax or stealing their bank accounts have to do with people literally coming to peoples houses because they're unhinged wackos?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh jeez. With how horrible gamers are, you just know those journalists are going to start being harassed.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Most people are overreacting here. If someone knew a particular journalist's name, because of the leaks due to Equifax and now Capital One, they could buy a lot more comprehensive information including finances, income, and much more. Worrying about 2,000 member leak (which is certainly unfortunate) seems to be worrying about a puddle in the middle of a thunderstorm.
What the fuck is this shit?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
What the fuck is this shit?
It's the situation with privacy in today's world. Your response on the other hand is quite illustrative.

Edit: Oh, and if we are talking about leaks, the one that leaked pretty much all private information for people who went for clearances in US a few years back was a lot more damaging. Again, this is an overreaction over an unfortunate event, but all that info is already out there for the most part.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
It's the situation with privacy in today's world. Your response on the other hand is quite illustrative.

Edit: Oh, and if we are talking about leaks, the one that leaked pretty much all private information for people who went for clearances in US a few years back was a lot more damaging. Again, this is an overreaction over an unfortunate event, but all that info is already out there for the most part.

I think you're missing the whole point of who this affects and why it's bad.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Or, you know, your condescendent tone is in really poor taste. There are definitely people in there who had managed to keep a low profile before.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Or, you know, your condescendent tone is in really poor taste. There are definitely people in there who had managed to keep a low profile before.
It's not really condescending tone, I just gave up of any expectation of privacy at this juncture considering even shit like DoD clearance information got leaked. Now days, as long as someone got your full name, they can get any information they want really (social security numbers are a bit tougher).

However, you make a good point that some people like folks behind youtube channels may not have had their names previously released so this certainly doesn't help.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
It's not really condescending tone, I just gave up of any expectation of privacy at this juncture considering even shit like DoD clearance information got leaked. Now days, as long as someone got your full name, they can get any information they want really (social security numbers are a bit tougher).

However, you make a good point that some people like folks behind youtube channels may not have had their names previously released so this certainly doesn't help.

I'd love to see the Venn diagram of video game journalists who also tried to get a security clearance.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Do you not see how this information being freely available is a big deal? You act like all these little shits that will gladly harass people would know where to buy this information.

ry-dog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I would close the thread. The less coverage this gets the better (for now).

Most of this information is publicly available already. All this leak (and coverage of the leak) is doing is pointing millions of people in the direction of this information.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Honestly I would close the thread. The less coverage this gets the better (for now).

Most of this information is publicly available already. All this leak (and coverage of the leak) is doing is pointing millions of people in the direction of this information.

You bumped the thread.

This is a major news story and definitely worthy of discussion.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Can't even begin to describe how fucked up this entire situation is, especially with how easily accessible the list is. Wishing safety and peace for everyone involved.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Mod Edit: name removed is on the list. Two people who have, up until now, tried their best to remain anonymous with their work.

Feel sorry for everyone who has been hit by this. Hope everyone is, and remains safe.
Not to give you shit, but this killed me
"PERSON NAME has tried to remain anonymous"

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Privacy is extremely important in 2019. I can't believe an organization this big did not do its due diligence to protect journalists. It just shows how little they understand the current climate in technology and gaming.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
How does this even happen in this day and age?? People are being victimized already...sigh.

Good luck with E3 next year with no media showing up.

OP
OP
DerbyCityDerek
Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky

No, the time NOT to talk about it was when there was a chance it could be contained and we could avoid a doxxing event. But the doxxing has already occurred, and now people need to be aware.

Media outlets are covering it. Journalists on the very first page were asking for it to be left up. We need to discuss this and people need to hold the ESA accountable.

Staff has already made it clear nobody is to lead people to where they can find the released information, nor reveal people who were on the list.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
E3 has to be shut down or at the very least handled by a different organization going forward. There's no way the ESA can be trusted again after a monumental case of negligence like this.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
E3 has to be shut down or at the very least handled by a different organization going forward. There's no way the ESA can be trusted again after a monumental case of negligence like this.
In a just world this would be the end of the ESA and everyone affected would make bank off of their demise.

Alas, we do not live in a just world

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

I know you're banned and hopefully never coming back, but how can you be so stupid as to be able to square "nothing has changed, that info was freely available" with people on the list reporting nuisance phone calls and emails?

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I still don't understand why you would need a home address to verify someone's identity. What is the purpose E3 would ask for your home address, is it to mail you the media badges or something?

I'm totally unaware of how the process works for media, sorry for everyone affected and stay safe.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bank leaked considerably more information, on millions of people and suffered very few consequences. As horrible as this is, I highly doubt anything major will come of it. ESA has more clout than any singular Gaming site/blog. I expect an apology, and maybe a couple people being reprimanded/fired.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bank leaked considerably more information, on millions of people and suffered very few consequences. As horrible as this is, I highly doubt anything major will come of it. ESA has more clout than any singular Gaming site/blog. I expect an apology, and maybe a couple people being reprimanded/fired.
hopefully the GDPR takes this more seriously

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I would say a bank holds more power to get away with it then the esa does. Not to mention that both the gaming and YouTube community are both know for swatting. It sadly feels like a matter of time before this gets worse and the esa will hopefully get taken to task. I really hope everyone this affects will stay safe and mentally well during all this.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck off. Don't act like you've never heard of gamergate or have no idea how members of gaming media are under constant attack. There are people on the list who have had problems with stalkers in the past. Don't act like making their personal addresses and phone numbers public to everyone for free is not a huge problem.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
As someone that works in GDPR the punishments aren't harsh enough. ESA should never be allowed to run E3 again or E3 should just be shutdown entirely.