• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
E3 2020 under the ESA shouldn't happen after the lawsuit tsunami.
You know the ESA is going to try their hardest to keep E3 2020 to happen, since it's where they get like... 80% or something of their total revenue.

This is a freaking nightmare. I hope the ESA gets mega-slapped for this and do whatever they can to help people affected by this... somehow. I don't know how.
I said on SIFTD that I thought they should have to provide accounts on their behalf (pay for them) to anyone on that list for a MyIDCare account, but I'm not sure how much identity theft is a concern for this, just like harassment and threats from terrible shit-ass people.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
E3 itself is becoming more unneeded. With Playstation and Nintendo Directs being perfectly fine has a cheaper / safer alternative.

I still think there's a place for conventions, because it's not cost effective for the media to go to every company individually unless they're developer hotspots, but E3 has become a horrible chimera that tries to cover the media, developers, and consumers. It was always gonna crumble, this just sped things up.

I'm hoping we get smaller scale, media-and-industry only events in the wake of this, spread throughout the year. The likes of PAX and EGX, and hopefully PSX, Nintendo Stores, and that Xbox thing, could carry on the consumer-facing angle.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: I found a website someone had put up to see if your info was leaked. It shows everyone's full names though so I guess that's still too much info so I've removed the link.

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The journalist that leaked this is a known GGer that worked for nichegamer. They are probably very happy about the leak.
Yep, I know. They frequent KiA and IIRC even held an AMA on it as recently as just last month. She also has a Kiwifarms account and has posted there a number of times too. She now works for Colin Moriarty.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't a telephone or email address suffice? Not sure why a physical apartment / home address would be necessary. At the very least just a zip code to give publishers a general idea of where journalists / influencers are located.

Being former press myself, you would get things physically mailed to you all the time relating to E3 for a variety of reasons including physical invitations. It really depends on the company, what they were trying to accomplish and what they were trying to get to you.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Being former press myself, you would get things physically mailed to you all the time relating to E3 for a variety of reasons including physical invitations. It really depends on the company, what they were trying to accomplish and what they were trying to get to you.

Ah I see. I'd imagine after this a lot of people in the industry will get PO Boxes out of lack of faith in how these organizers protect their information.

May 26, 2018
Like, how can E3 be trusted to handle info again? At this point it's only safe to send devs and journalists whose information has already been leaked.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Yep, I know. They frequent KiA and IIRC even held an AMA on it as recently as just last month. She also has a Kiwifarms account and has posted there a number of times too. She now works for Colin Moriarty.
Apologies if this was known information already. Just wanted to make sure people knew who the news-broker were, so as not to legitimize them. This leak could have potentially dangerous results to certain demographics among gaming journalists, and seeing people thank that GGer for releasing the video is both ironic and sad.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
I found this website someone had put up to see if your info was leaked. If it's not an approved/safe website, mods please delete, but it seemed okay to me.

There are a lot of streamers and youtube personalities, among them ***** and several Mixer users.

This is a major fuck up.

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if this was known information already. Just wanted to make sure people knew who the news-broker were, so as not to legitimize them. This leak could have potentially dangerous results to certain demographics among gaming journalists, and seeing people thank that GGer for releasing the video is both ironic and sad.
No worries! I don't know how much of it is known by some, but it doesn't hurt to have more people that are in the know to help make the information more known.

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Wouldn't a telephone or email address suffice? Not sure why a physical apartment / home address would be necessary. At the very least just a zip code to give publishers a general idea of where journalists / influencers are located.

For what it's worth, to pick up my media badge I had to show photo ID (in my case, since I don't live in the US, a passport) with my address on it. I didn't get anything from companies - that was all emailed.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm so, so fucking sorry. Everyone affected please take precautions and stay safe.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
The weird thing a simple google can often get you someone's name, address and phone number, but this still super sucks.

As a youtuber who has managed to keep my real name off the internet for 7+ years, this would have been quite fucked.

Thankfully I'm too broke and unimportant at 70k subs to even think about attending E3.

I've got friends with much bigger channels who've had people just show up at the front door, it's scary shit.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
First off, it should go without saying that this should not have happened. Having said that, I work at a flight agency and my employer has always instructed us to to use business emails, addresses and phone numbers (extensions) when signing up any sort of business related dealings. It seems like in the video game industry this would make the most sense for those who work at places like IGN, Kotaku, Polygon, etc. Of course this would not help those who do business from their homes such as YouTubers.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I know that ESA was careless and should be held accountable, but the community is really the shit pile here let's be honest. This kind of shit being "leaked" shouldnt result in... anything

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
First off, it should go without saying that this should not have happened. Having said that, I work at a flight agency and my employer has always instructed us to to use business emails, addresses and phone numbers (extensions) when signing up any sort of business related dealings. It seems like in the video game industry this would make the most sense for those who work at places like IGN, Kotaku, Polygon, etc. Of course this would not help those who do business from their homes such as YouTubers.

Freelancers? Members of the media who don't work for a big corporation?

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I know that ESA was careless and should be held accountable, but the community is really the shit pile here let's be honest. This kind of shit being "leaked" shouldnt result in... anything
It isn't just the shit heads in the gaming community that will find this information useful sadly.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Freelancers? Members of the media who don't work for a big corporation?
That's why I said it would not work for everyone. I mentioned YouTubers as one such example. As for freelancers and the like, there are always other ways around this, create a separate email for these events, register a domain and host an email yourself, use a PO Box, etc. While neither of these solutions are foolproof, it's certainly better than using your personal information. The real solution is for people to stop being assholes, but this is the real world and that will never happen.

Last edited:

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well uh, that might be it for ESA. Hoping for the safety of all those affected going forward (pretty crazy that one has to hope for that tbh).

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
ESA's neglect and amateurism is beyond irresponsible. I am really worried of what could happen, especially for some outlets and journalists who have been KiA's (among others fucking disgraces of communities) targets for a while.

Edit:

Fuck, I hope nothing bad happened already.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I've seen the list...and I'm on it.

Not worried in the slightest; it definitely sucks and it's soured my feelings on the ESA that bit more and even my interest in attending next year's E3, but life goes on. I'm not going to get overly-dramatic or anything. Another day, another intention to keep writing about video games. Although I'll tell you what I do find hilarious (if one can even find humour in such a thing like this) and providing that the context in such words is the same as I'm perceiving it but....I've seen someone proclaim: "...if you're on this list and you're not covering this....YOU'RE PROTECTING THE ESA!!!"

Can't be anything down to other writing/personal commitments or anything of the sort. No, I'M SUPER-DUPER-CORRUPT'n'SHIT.......who knew?

Further Reminders

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Hello everyone as a reminder please be extra careful about not making posts that may include clues about how to find the list -- it's all over the place at this point but we can do our part to not help it spread further.

Also you can confirm who is NOT on the list, but please take care not to confirm that anyone is on the list unless that individual has volunteered that information publicly. Thank you

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I've seen the list...and I'm on it.

Not worried in the slightest; it definitely sucks and it's soured my feelings on the ESA that bit more and even my interest in attending next year's E3, but life goes on. I'm not going to get overly-dramatic or anything. Another day, another intention to keep writing about video games. Although I'll tell you what I do find hilarious (if one can even find humour in such a thing like this) and providing that the context in such words is the same as I'm perceiving it but....I've seen someone proclaim: "...if you're on this list and you're not covering this....YOU'RE PROTECTING THE ESA!!!"

Can't be anything down to other writing/personal commitments or anything of the sort. No, I'M SUPER-DUPER-CORRUPT'n'SHIT.......who knew?
Uhm good for you? So your take away from this situation is "how dare these random people indirectly tell me what to do"?

Plenty of other folks are now prone to life threatening situations in the worst case. If you don't want to write about that, you don't need to justify it. Many others can't take it as easy as you obviously can.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Hello everyone as a reminder please be extra careful about not making posts that may include clues about how to find the list -- it's all over the place at this point but we can do our part to not help it spread further.

Also you can confirm who is NOT on the list, but please take care not to confirm that anyone is on the list unless that individual has volunteered that information publicly. Thank you

has a searchable list that shows first, last and company name, but doesn't show phone number, email or physical address. Seems safer than trying to hunt down or share the full list.

Last edited by a moderator:

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
User Banned (1 week): Downplaying doxxing and harassment over several posts.
Most people are overreacting here. If someone knew a particular journalist's name, because of the leaks due to Equifax and now Capital One, they could buy a lot more comprehensive information including finances, income, and much more. Worrying about 2,000 member leak (which is certainly unfortunate) seems to be worrying about a puddle in the middle of a thunderstorm.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Most people are overreacting here. If someone knew a particular journalist's name, because of the leaks due to Equifax and now Capital One, they could buy a lot more comprehensive information including finances, income, and much more. Worrying about 2,000 member leak (which is certainly unfortunate) seems to be worrying about a puddle in the middle of a thunderstorm.
If I go to the hardware store and buy a crowbar I can get into your house. So you might as well just give me the key to your front door and save us both some time and money. Right?

The truly dedicated assholes never had any problems. Even ignoring the many other PII breaches in the past few years there is so much info online that you can find just about anybody if you try hard enough

What this breach does is provide an easily searchable database and a giant flag for the stupider assholes. The ones who might just take pictures "for the lulz" or who are bored and think swatting someone is funny or that they should totally go tell "a filthy SJW" why they are wrong after they get off work.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The current ESA head was reportedly a bit of a ass so I am gonna guess he is going to golden parachute his ass out of there by the end of the week.