• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Omega.X

Oct 28, 2017
So if you're affected, you'd essentially have to switch email addresses, change phone numbers, and move to a new location? God damn.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's fucking terrifying

I'm afraid the only way ESA faces any real consequences is if a top executive from the Big 3 included in the list raises hell.

Is /r/games removing this topic? I can't find it on Reddit besides the trash subs.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What a shitty statement by the ESA. The fact that they didn't even bother to read through it once to fix the grammar mistake shows how little they care.

OP
OP
DerbyCityDerek
Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
Might be good to update the op with that twitter thread with steps to protect yourself.

That email though. Their website had a "vulnerability". Some lowlife finding out a door is broken and opens if you mess with the lock a bit is a vulnerability. Not having a door at all... isn't.
Updated the OP with a direct link to Steve's thread, plus Rotobit's post that linked to where UK residents can register complaints

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah good as if these fuckos on the chan sites needed any more ammo to go after after all the women in the industry they hate. These massive data leaks are fucking exhausting. People have to be on guard constantly and nothing ever fucking happens to the people responsible for the security breaches.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Regardless of what happens to the journalists affected, I don't see the ESA or E3 suffering any notable consequences as a result of this.

I think if something happens it's EU's GDPR officials coming down on ESA and making example out of them, but that also depends on Europeans affected by this going to officials in first place.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No the "journalist" was super irresponsible. Someone I know affected with this was in contact with them and was telling them to hold off until it was taken down but then ignored everything and released it anyway for the clicks. That "journalist" is shitty and helped caused this problem without taking proper precautions.
More than that, check out her actual YouTube channel and how much it caters to GG and alt-right types. That's her audience. This information was going straight to them.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
More than that, check out her actual YouTube channel and how much it caters to GG and alt-right types. That's her audience. This information was going straight to them.
Then that situation (that the leak was popularized by someone very well-disposed to deliver it to people who will use it to harass people) is newsworthy in itself, no?

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Horrible situation for all those impacted. My deepest condolences and I hope everyone stays safe. I'd be shocked if we have an E3 2020 after this

If this had happened in early 2020 E3 would have been in danger. But since it happened so early there is enough time for things to change, especially if Microsoft decides to announce the new Xbox next E3

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"(Narwitz has not yet responded to Kotaku's request for more details about the discovery of this document.) "
Lmao, I love this fucking constant grey area bullshit where the one sliver of plausible deniability you have means that their followers and patreon paypigs will jump into every reply about this and use "WELL YOU CAN'T PROVE WITHOUT A REASONABLE DOUBT THAT THEY WERE IN THE WRONG" as their argument over and over again despite any amount of common sense telling people otherwise.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Then that situation (that the leak was popularized by someone very well-disposed to deliver it to people who will use it to harass people) is newsworthy in itself, no?

Yes it is and we shouldn't be thanking her or giving her credit for what she did. What she did was shitty and irresponsible and from the sounds of it had a possible agenda to it.

Terra

May 15, 2019
Yes it is and we shouldn't be thanking her or giving her credit for what she did. What she did was shitty and irresponsible and from the sounds of it had a possible agenda to it.
Yeah, Narwitz is a Right Wing GG supporter. I 100% believe that leaking to places like the Chans and r/KIA was not just some unintended side effect.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Any good preventative measures good in these situations?? Or is it just threats from people plugging your phone??

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
i imagine some consumers would still want it to go on, but i can see most publishers not wanting to support them after this
From what I heard, the floor was far more empty this year than it usually is both in terms of journalists and consumers. If journos don't go next year because of this, it's going to be an absolute ghost town

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What really blows my mind here is that this was a direct link publicly available on their site. This is insane.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
There is no law in the US to help anyone here out, but I hope Europeans affected can punish the ESA for such blatant disregard of people's privacy. Don't let them get away with just firing one person to save face. Best of luck to people being affected by it, GGers have a huge grudge against gaming media, this is really serious.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Is it possible for ESA to lose the rights of hosting E3 to a different organization?

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They had that snafu with Kinda Funny's Greg Miller. What a mismanaged mess when they have been running this thing for years and years.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
So if you're affected, you'd essentially have to switch email addresses, change phone numbers, and move to a new location? God damn.

The weird thing a simple google can often get you someone's name, address and phone number, but this still super sucks.

I emailed the ESA because I want to know what info of mine was actually available, but from the sound of it my photo ID info was not included at least.