• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kojima making an xbox game would be fascinating, I'm not a huge fan of his games but what he makes is always interesting and from a business standpoint him making an xbox game would be pretty big for Microsoft.

Oct 27, 2017
Kojima just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Kojima's next game for any system, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Kojima has alienated an entire market with this move.

Kojima, publicly apologize and cancel your unannounced game for Xbox or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Why the f*** would Kojima have to apologize for anything? He can make games wherever he feels like FFS.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting if MS publishes Kojima next game because they will need to get another game engine. Makes me think it was a mistake to go with Decima engine since all their work and efforts to learn the engine will be for nothing. If they used unreal 4 or similar third party game engine, it wouldn't be the case.

Interesting if MS publishes Kojima next game because they will need to get another game engine. Makes me think it was a mistake to go with Decima engine since all their work and efforts to learn the engine will be for nothing. If they used unreal 4 or similar third party game engine, it wouldn't be the case.
It's what it is. I doubt Kojima was ignorant to the reality of handling a proprietary engine tied to a platform holder would not be a long-term solution for the studio, but it is the kind of thing that helps in the long run when they would have to make the switch and have the know-how to begin pushing whatever comes next to its limits and beyond as well.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Earvin x Hunter just shot themselves in the foot.
I saw Earvin x Hunter at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't enjoyed a Kojima game since MGS3 but if it happens, a) it will look good on Xbox and b) it will be available on GP, so I will at least give it a try.

MS usually uses UE4 and has some teams that have been able to do wonders with it. If Kojima chooses UE4 (or even 5) I have no doubt that the teams at The Coalition and Rare will be able to lend a hand to whatever Kojima does.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
All of these 'moves' will just lead to more exclusive games from both Sony and MS.

Things like gamepass are great for competition. Exclusive games aren't.
What if Kojima game would not get funded? You got two options in such a case...
  • No game
  • A game
Which one is better, even though "a game" would be exclusive? It's not realistic imo to just assume a exclusive game would've get made with Ubisoft, EA, ... if it wasn't for Sony/MS/Nintendo getting the deal. Competition means these platform holders need to invest more into exclusive games and sometimes take risks like Nintendo does with Bayonetta, which would be a dead franchise otherwise. There are benefits to these companies competing and investing in exclusives for consumers imo. Perhaps I misunderstood your post 🥺
Phil's shelf is hilarious at this point
It should get verified.
I don't really care about Kojima, and I thought Death Stranding was terrible - I'm just here to talk about how THE SHELF STRIKES AGAIN, lol.

He's gonna paint himself into a regrettable corner some day where people go off the deep end with their assumptions about what is happening based on that shelf, then become furious when it doesn't come to pass.
Dust on the shelf? Phantom Dust confirmed!!!! 🤣
It's like the reverse of last gen. Remedy doing a game for ps5 and kojima doing a game for xbox, lol.
It's like the WWE draft
2020_WWE_Draft_poster.jpg

It is a sony IP and also uses the Decima Engine from Horizon Zero Dawn. I don't know if publishers like sharing engines and technology like that. I suppose though that Sony and Microsoft have worked together in the past in regards to network security along with general network work.
Xbox won't get access to the engine, but they don't need to if Kojima and his studio are allowed to use the engine source code for their games. It wouldn't be the first time a PS engine is used on Xbox. We don't know what the deal was, though. All we know is Kojima got handed the source code for Decima engine.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Earvin x Hunter at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
QONVIyz.gif

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Is this going to be the cloud-reliant project that Stadia pulled out of? Outside of Amazon (and I'm not sure how their system works), Microsoft are the only ones that have the tech to pick that up.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I remember when I wished all games came to switch

Now I wish for all games to come to gamepass

How the tides have turned

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Building a PC seems to be a good decision that keeps paying off for me.
And paying off for Microsoft.

MSFT putting games on PC was a great idea and to put them on Steam too. I'm pretty happy with them right now.

They're gonna get that $15 monthly out of me for Gamepass in the end aren't they?
You are going to have to hide your credit card between your butt cheeks or you're going to be Game Passing.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
meh, whats the point? the game will get cancelled just like the platinum games project, especially once Kojima starts bringing in the A list movie stars and the budget skyrockets 10 fold lol
i wonder at what point people will stop using scalebound as a reason for why an XGS published third party-developed game will get cancelled. 2030 maybe?
since scalebound's cancellation XGS has published like 20 games developed by third party devs.

Adum

May 30, 2019
Y'all need to chill about Earvin x Hunter. I've been a member of of this forum for a while now and this is the first time I'm seeing the Kojima pasta too. Considering some of the truly terrific thought logic I've seen in some member's posts here I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't a meme.

Wonder if Sony would allow them to continue using the Decima engine. Thought the Kojima/Sony exclusivity might last longer than just one game.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Between MLB and this I feel like Sony is going to start getting annoyed lol.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Between MLB and this I feel like Sony is going to start getting annoyed lol.

Why? This is one game whereas Kojima is reported to be working on multiple games. For all we know they've got another project that will either be a Sony exclusive or multi-plat.

These narratives I tell ya, lol.