• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
"It's not a big deal" is not at all the tone your post was written with. If there's a miscommunication here, the problem is oh the writing end, not the reading end.

You're right. I'm guilty of making posts on here assuming that people here know how i am IRL and to not take things totally seriously. If I complain about something, it's something that I get over in 2 seconds. I clearly don't get that across effectively online :p

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
You're right. I'm guilty of making posts on here assuming that people here know how i am IRL and to not take things totally seriously. If I complain about something, it's something that I get over in 2 seconds. I clearly don't get that across effectively online :p
Maybe you're just a bad writer.

Should add more details so we can have a better idea what you actually want to talk about.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
You: Why don't these idiots order faster?

Also you: Why are these idiots trying to get my attention to get their orders in faster?

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Things that bother me as a customer going through a drive thru:

1. Playing an auto message that says cheerily "Welcome to _______ can we take your order"? So I start rattling off what I want, only to be interrupted by a gruff "I'll be right with you".

2. Having split drive thru lanes that converge into one. I know it seems simple, but the people who designed these must not have exposure to true human nature. The amount of near fights I have seen over this...

3. I am sure whatever you are laughing about with your co-workers is funny, but man does that not translate well to the microphone while I'm just trying to get in and out with 2 screaming toddlers.

4. Would it kill anyone to say something nice as you are handed your food? Saying nothing and just being handed a sack is just weird.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah from a few grumpy Monday posters that get offended by a harmless venting thread..

Quick question OP - I'm at the window and I suddenly remembered i was supposed to order a milkshake or something. Am I fucking up the clerk's day by asking to add something to my order? I've always wondered.

No, because 99.9999% of the time it's just one item that they want to add or forgot to add. It's no biggie.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
1. When a car is at the menu, and they say "Hello????" if I haven't immediately said something
I know you're there moron
Then maybe say something along the lines of "Welcome to XYZ Foods, I'll be with you in just a minute"? I get it's annoying when someone pulls up and in one second flat they go HALLLO?? but plenty of times I've been sitting there for several minutes without anyone saying a damn thing and it's weird and uncomfortable. Just say gimme a second and it's fine for everyone.

5. Customers who ask me how I am or try making (bad) jokes through the drive-thru. I would be better if you weren't here please just order your food and go John. I've had a customer pretend to be a robber until his wife intervened and apologized for his bad humor 🙄
The former is just being polite, shit. When I was working fast food (pizza delivery), this was a signal to me that maybe the customer saw me as a person and not just as a food dispenser they were free to abuse, but to each their own I guess.

6. Customers that have their kids order for them

PLEASE STOP DOING THIS IT'S NOT CUTE OR FUNNY
I'm sure people have done this because they think it's cute at your particular shop, but again coming from pizza delivery, when people did this 9 times out of 10 it was because the parents barely knew any English and their kid was the de facto translator. Not to knock em from trying, but usually I would have an easier time talking to the kid with their elementary grasp of the language than the parents in these situations.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Op you sound awful. 1 and 4 work both ways. I've never been with a patient drive through person. It's always "is that everything?!" Every two fucking seconds. Calm down Karen I ordered four items in one min for everyone in the car. Don't need your impatient ass having mouth diarrhea and still getting my order wrong. Drive through employees are awful
You don't have managers breathing down you neck to get stuff out quicker no matter how quick you do it. You also don't have to deal with a whole bunch of assholes all day long who don't have any manners and thing that you are their fucking slave that can spit(which has happened) on because they are the all mighty customer.

I never minded kids ordering or people making jokes, better then the people who don't know how to order and those that are rude.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of this sounds like regular ass shit that makes me wonder how'd you survive working in a fast-food joint.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
2. Having split drive thru lanes that converge into one. I know it seems simple, but the people who designed these must not have exposure to true human nature. The amount of near fights I have seen over this...
It's only a problem if they're slow about serving vehicles. If they roll people through fairly quickly, there's little chance for confusion regarding who goes when.

That and I've rarely ran into this problem where I live even with slow service, but it could be a regional thing.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
"Here's a list of regular things that normal people are capable of handling"

You don't seem fit to interact with other people op. When I worked fast food my mentality was 'meh, I get paid by the hour.'

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
People who order for the tribe and decides to check the order was correct at the window.

Feb 18, 2018
I totally hear you on the point about kids ordering.

When I worked as a cashier people thought it was so cute to have their kids awkwardly fumble through a transaction that did nothing but slow down the line and the parent would inevitably have to take over for some aspect of the transaction anyway. Like, I get it, you want to hone your kids' skills from a young age so they bloom into exemplary social butterflies. Stop doing it on everybody else's time.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to be rude Op telling you my order and you're not there and having to say it again or you're busy working out the order before me. Every time I tried to before they tend to say can you hold on for a minute. That's why I don't say anything until you say can I help you.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
The feeding the tribe complaint is fine when the customer knows exactly what they want on their laundry list. Cousin Christina can roll up to a Zaxbys and rattle off an entire families worth of meals in one breath, complete with drinks and dipping sauces. It's actually impressive.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
Right here with ya, OP. One of the ones that bothers me to no end is when someone has been waiting in a 3 car line because of some problem in the kitchen and when they finally pull up to pay, they didnt even bother to get their money ready. Breh, you had 3 minutes to get ready. What were you doing in there?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You would love me, OP. I am so quick and efficient when to comes to drive-thrus. All of the folk at windows end up loving me. I can't blame them. I'm in and out just like that, bam...but with a smile.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
People don't realize how annoying and frustrating people can be.

Yes they do because everyone has to deal with people they find frustrating all the time, and it usually involves their job.

I hate this, "Oh you don't know how hard I have it in __________ industry/job". 1st of all, most people have at some point or another worked in a restaurant or retail or service job where they have had to deal with people. 2nd, ALMOST everyone's job is something they would rather not be doing, otherwise they wouldn't be seeking compensation for doing it. Customers at a drive thru aren't any stupider or more annoying than customers at a doctors office, or a call center, or a car dealership, or if you're a plumber, painter, lawyer or an artist. It's just a matter of do you blame yourselves or others for how you deal with stress and irritation?

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
It's only a problem if they're slow about serving vehicles. If they roll people through fairly quickly, there's little chance for confusion regarding who goes when.

That and I've rarely ran into this problem where I live even with slow service, but it could be a regional thing.

Most times the issue is when someone is supposed to be monitoring one lane inside is unresponsive and you see the other lane is flowing by, people get anxious.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Yes they do because everyone has to deal with people they find frustrating all the time, and it usually involves their job.

I hate this, "Oh you don't know how hard I have it in __________ industry/job". 1st of all, most people have at some point or another worked in a restaurant or retail or service job where they have had to deal with people. 2nd, ALMOST everyone's job is something they would rather not be doing, otherwise they wouldn't be seeking compensation for doing it. Customers at a drive thru aren't any stupider or more annoying than customers at a doctors office, or a call center, or a car dealership, or if you're a plumber, painter, lawyer or an artist. It's just a matter of do you blame yourselves or others for how you deal with stress and irritation?
So you never in your life complained or vented? Like is this a strange concept to you?

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
"Here's a list of regular things that normal people are capable of handling"

You don't seem fit to interact with other people op. When I worked fast food my mentality was 'meh, I get paid by the hour.'

I'm literally just venting. Venting implies that it's things that I bottled up aka I wouldn't show nasty attitude or go "UGHHHH" in front of customers. I know it's harmless, and I know that if I never worked at a drive thru I would be totally unaware of things that would annoy a drive thru worker.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I agee with op. I've never worked drivethru, but if I'm ordering there, I wanna get out as soon as possible. Fuck these people holding up the line.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Most times the issue is when someone is supposed to be monitoring one lane inside is unresponsive and you see the other lane is flowing by, people get anxious.
In my experience, they have one person monitor BOTH lanes, so they alternate lanes. It has been known to happen that they forget the second lane on occasion, perhaps due to a hardware failure which they are not aware of or have not signed. It can also be a new employee who has mistakenly not been switching between intercoms.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, bringing back some bad memories. Work hard and try to get out of the service industry my friend. Go back to school if you have to. Don't let yourself stagnate and make excuses.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I haven't worked in a drive-thru for years, but I always hated people who stopped as far as possible from the window, and then barely reached out their arm to pay/grab their food, so I had to reach super far out the window. Just meet me halfway, that's all I ever wanted.

And counting out your change was the worst, especially in the dead of winter. I can see that $20 bill Karen, just give me that instead

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm at the drive-thru and I don't hear anything after a minute I'm saying "hello?" I'm not stupid, you're a bad worker.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
A friend of mine worked at a drive-thru (Taco Bell) and he said it was awful. People in general just fucking suck and don't know how to treat others (especially those in the service industry) with dignity and respect.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Man, some of you are real assholes. Having worked fast food for 5 years in high school and early college, I feel you OP.

Something I've learned from this forum is that people have like, no respect whatsoever for minimum wage/service industry employees. Even people who would generally call themselves empathetic (like most on this forum). You all probably complain about your boss, coworkers, clients, or just shitty things you have to deal with on a day to day basis. But I guess the OP is stepping over some line when it comes to a thread about a minimum wage drive thru thread.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm literally just venting. Venting implies that it's things that I bottled up aka I wouldn't show nasty attitude or go "UGHHHH" in front of customers. I know it's harmless, and I know that if I never worked at a drive thru I would be totally unaware of things that would annoy a drive thru worker.
Why are you venting though if you no longer work in that line of work? What brought this on?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Texting a former coworker lol

I'm not angry at all I created this thread in hopes of other drive thru workers sharing some annoyances or funny stories. Obv I failed miserably but it's fine
Nah you're fine OP. Most of the posters itt just have sticks up their asses.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Never worked a drive thru. For #1, I would say it's about how much time. If it's 30 seconds, thanks for giving me a chance to look at the menu. If it's 2 minutes, you're not doing your job.

#7, again as a customer, I completely agree with. It's so irritating being behind a big SUV or something that obviously has 4-6 people in it and seeing the dude hand tons of bags to them. The only excuse for doing that is if the inside is closed and the drive thru is the only option.
Wth ? Drive through isn't literally the express lane you aren't obligated to go inside just because your order is bigger how does this make sense ? It doesn't save anyone time except the person behind them who could just as easily go inside .

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Back when I worked at McDonald's, you had to have a certain personality type in order to work register or drive through. Other than that hurdle, it was one of the easiest jobs in the place.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I'm sorry but if I pull up and nobody says anything for 15-20 seconds I'm gonna say "Hello?"

It's your job to take our order, how can we do that if we have no idea anyone is even listening?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah you're fine OP. Most of the posters itt just have sticks up their asses.
No I think you have a stick up his ass in how you are acting.
Man, some of you are real assholes. Having worked fast food for 5 years in high school and early college, I feel you OP.

Something I've learned from this forum is that people have like, no respect whatsoever for minimum wage/service industry employees. Even people who would generally call themselves empathetic (like most on this forum). You all probably complain about your boss, coworkers, clients, or just shitty things you have to deal with on a day to day basis. But I guess the OP is stepping over some line when it comes to a thread about a minimum wage drive thru thread.
This isn't even his job anymore and he's bitching about somethings that just don't make sense and were called out about but because you don't like that, your pretending it's everyone else that's the problem. This whole thread premise is weird.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I understand your frustrations OP. Working a drive thru is incredibly stressful and often people treat you like dirt.

I do not mind people asking me how I am though, that's polite. I remember when I worked at Starbucks people would get double digit Frappuccino's :[

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I can understand these points from OPs point of view. It's not an easy job at all but some people aren't being malicious on purpose, so you should be patient with them.

For the asshat customers on the other hand...
9ef0d081-e407-4fcb-9eedkrs.gif