• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Okay so story time. This happened yesterday afternoon.

My fiancée and I were out for a run in our city neighborhood and were running across a crosswalk where a car was waiting to pull out onto the main road. It was two guys in the car, who then began catcalling my fiancée, who was a tiny bit behind me. She had headphones in, so she didn't fully hear them, but I let it slide. As they pulled out, they gave me an OK sign and yelled out stuff like "nice job, man!" and giving an OK sign, which made me a little pissed and flip them off as I continued running. They then proceeded to pull an aggressive u-turn into the next intersection and cut us off.

Since they had stopped me, I said "you were catcalling, dude", and they immediately got wicked aggressive, calling me a "racist f*ggot c*cksucker" and "I gave you a compliment you f*ggot!" and other stuff. I realized it wasn't going anywhere so I went back to running, to where they then pulled back out onto the main road and slowly followed us. I then quickly turned around, ran the opposite direction and pulled into a side street, and went behind a house with my fiancée and waited. We then proceeded to finish a modified version of our running route.

We then finish with a little walk through the park (which is literally across the street from our triple-decker apartment) to cool down. A bunch of kids are running across the field, and lo and behold I see the two dudes from the car walking across the field. I know it was surely a coincidence that they were also there, but as we neared the end of the park loop, I see them chilling under a tree on the opposite side of the field looking over.

My fiancée and I then walked over to a group of dogs and their owners to try to kill time and to ensure they don't see us walking across the street into our house. I discretely notify the dog owners what's going on, to where one offers to walk with us to the opposite direction to throw them off. We then ran a long, different route once we were out of sight, and had our neighbor let us in the back of our house. We then watched from our living room window where they proceeded to chill in the park for another 10-15 minutes, before getting back in their cars parked a couple houses down from us.

I know it's probably silly, but the whole thing really rattled me considering how close it was to our home, and it's been distracting me today. Anyone ever have a scary run in with someone near your home and have it leave you shaken for a little while? It's weird how much it's affected me, but just something I wanted to vent about.

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
if i were you i wouldn't have said anything. i would have just given a threating stare and then when she came i would have made it obvious that she was with me to signal to the guys to fuck off. guys will often back off when they see that a girl is taken. its better than starting some shit with some idiots.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
if i were you i wouldn't have said anything. i would have just given a threating stare and then when she came i would have made it obvious that she was with me to signal to the guys to fuck off. guys will often back off when they see that a girl is taken. its better than starting some shit with some idiots.

I agree with this

Never worth starting shit with a stranger, unless someone is genuinely at risk

Too many crazy people in this country with easy access to guns

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just ignore them in the future, as much as they deserved to be flipped off, it's not worth it. People in cars will always be assholes to running pedestrians and unfortunately you have to put up with it unless you're cool with being run over. I've been hit with empty beer cans and other trash, called gay for running shirtless with other guys, and all sorts of other stuff. People are shitty in general, but when they get behind the wheel of a car they become way way worse.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Damn man, that is scary.

Definitely not your fault, but working in NYC has taught me to never, ever start shit with a stranger, no matter how small it may be. You never know how crazy they might be. You just gotta let this stuff slide.

Do your best not to overthink it - chances are they'll probably forget the encounter themselves, if they haven't already.

OP
OP
SnugTeam6

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Damn man, that is scary.

Definitely not your fault, but working in NYC has taught me to never, ever start shit with a stranger, no matter how small it may be. You never know how crazy they might be. You just gotta let this stuff slide.

Do your best not to overthink it - chances are they'll probably forget the encounter themselves, if they haven't already.

Yeah I guess I learned the hard way here. I think the following me and the park situation are what put me on edge, especially considering our home is literally across the street. It's made me a bit paranoid the past 24 hours. Thinking/hoping they'll soon forget the encounter. I imagine I'm not the first person they've yelled at or done this to before :P

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Dont flip people off. These dudes obviously are your stock bucket heads. They gave you a compliment in their own demented way and got upset that you flipped them off.

There is literally no upside to flipping people off .

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I think I would personally be OK with that but I suppose you're within your rights to be upset about it. Just be careful when being confrontational and some people will welcome that and it seems you don't want that.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like the flip off was a bit egregious. You would have almost 100% never seen those guys again if you'd let it slide.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, don't flip people off when you're walking and they're driving if you don't want to get into a confrontation. You're too much at their mercy. I definitely give you credit for sticking up for your girlfriend and telling catcallers to fuck off, though.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
And men wonder why women either smile at or ignore catcallers. Shit is scary. I hope nothing else happens. :/

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Bone head move to flip them off. Could you have apologized - to cool the waters?

OP
OP
SnugTeam6

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I realized immediately after that the finger was a bad idea, it was just that in combination with it being a too hot day to enjoy a run resulted in that while I was still moving. Wish I could've taken it back, but I also never expected the insane level of response. Definitely live and learn I suppose.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah dude, flipping them off was a bad move. It's better to ignore these people. People that cat call are already morons at the low end of society.

I made this mistake several years ago. I flipped off an asshole driver in a truck who wasn't letting me merge onto the interstate. He then proceeded to try to run my off the road for a few minutes. This guy was nuts and I was scared out of my mind. You never know how crazy these random strangers are. I could be you angered the wrong person on the wrong day.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It's a hard line to draw, especially in the heat of the moment. I often wish I had the capability and skill to beat down those that bully others as they think they have power over you, and truth is they kinda do, especially when there's more than one of them or they have a vehicle or something they could use as a weapon if they felt so inclined.

But in your situation it'll probably pass, make yourself boring if you can like just walking, not responding to their remarks, etc.

I'm not the most qualified to talk about this stuff but I hope it all works out.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
I wouldn't have flipped them off. As much as you hate doing it, I would have just smiled and give them a wave.

Tell them to "fuck off" in your mind. Safer that way.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Bone head move to flip them off. Could you have apologized - to cool the waters?

Could he have apologised to the weirdos stalking him and his girlfriend in their car because he had the temerity to be angry at them catcalling?

OP you were absolutely in the right to flip them off and more. Don't apologise for not meekly keeping your head down. Next time key their car

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing weird about being shaken like that. You were made to feel powerless by some assholes. That sort of thing can stick with you for a long time.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Eh, in the heat of the moment hearing some weird sexist shit and having his gf accosted it's understandable. That being said in the future if you're going to escalate realize everything that comes with that.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know what you mean, I was jumped a block from my house a few years back and I am having such a hard time getting over it. I was getting better but last year or so had an odd run in where a guy walking towards me asked if I had a light, told him no i dont smoke and kept walking. A few steps later a 2nd dude steps out from in front of a truck (as if he was trying to cut me off but I had walked a bit faster then he though) and asked if I had change for a 5. I told him no, Immediately same guy from earlier that was walking in the opposite direction from me is back behind me and asks me again for a light. After I quickly move away towards the Wawa I was going towards I see the 2 of them walking together in a different direction then when they approached me. My best guess is they wanted to pincer me at the truck but I was a bit two fast and id not reach into my pockets to give them an opening.

On topic, I can get wanting to engage against bad behavior but in a real life situation it can be dangerous. It's why in retail we are not allowed to talk back when we are harassed or see someone else harassed.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like how you don't identify the city but proceed to describe them as "wicked aggressive." You blew your own cover.

Also don't flip people off. They shouldn't catcall and you shouldn't respond in an aggressive way. You guys both blew it. Your fiancée at least had the good sense to run with headphones and ignore them.

Degenerate

Nov 17, 2018
Only person you should be giving fingers to is your fiance later that night. Only after making her a nice lasagna bolognese with a ricotta/spinach mix filling. Everyone says you need a bechamel sauce but honestly you can make an amazing lasagna without it. Store brought noodles are fine too. Fresh, homemade noodles might give it that extra edge but its a lot of effort for not a lot of improvement taste/texture wise

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Flipping a stranger off is never a good idea OP. You never know if they're on alcohol, drugs, have a mental illness or simply have nothing to lose. Some people actually want to go back inside because they can't handle the outside World.

I know people on the internet like to act like they're Brock Lesnar or something but most of it is all talk. Take the insults and shrug them off. The old saying of "it takes a real man to walk away" is very true. Not to mention that if you get into a physical altercation and the person you hit lands on their head the wrong way it could mean the end of your life as you know it.

Plenty of people doing life who wished they'd walked away.

All the best. I hope you never see them again.

Last edited:

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Should only flip em off after visually confirming you could beat them up.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Stuff like this is why I keep a Ka-bar knife on me. Crazy people out there, good idea to arm yourself with some sort of defense.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing Harassment; Numerous Prior Infractions and a History of Dismissive Behavior in Sensitive Threads
I'd just take the compliment and keep running.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Some people have huge, gigantic fucking egos and are set off by the smallest bit of what they consider disrespect.

One time on the subway some self-absorbed dipshit was catcalling my 13 year old daughter, making her clearly uncomfortable, so I told him to stop, and he stood up and got right in my face. I kept my cool while he wildly ranted and raved at me, and his friend tried to hold him back, but wow, it could have gone a whole lot worse.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this is why I keep a Ka-bar knife on me. Crazy people out there, good idea to arm yourself with some sort of defense.

I'm going to say the same thing I say to every person who says similar things:

DO NOT do this unless you plan to fully commit to using it. The same goes for brass knuckles, batons, or even throwing a punch.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I agree with this

Never worth starting shit with a stranger, unless someone is genuinely at risk

Too many crazy people in this country with easy access to guns

This is pretty interesting to a non-American and something we take for granted I guess. I can be a bit gung-ho (comparatively) in my interactions with strangers because I'm usually quite confident I can outrun a violent dickhead (I'm not a tough guy or anything, but I can run decently well), but yeah, guns be scary.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this in America? I probably would have done the same thing here in Australia but in America with guns I'd be too scared to. Scary stuff

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I think the flip was justified, it sucks that in America you can't stand up to idiots for fear of being shot.
If no one ever calls out douches like those for catcalling or whatever else they'll just carry on doing it.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I think the flip was justified, it sucks that in America you can't stand up to idiots for fear of being shot.
If no one ever calls out douches like those for catcalling or whatever else they'll just carry on doing it.
An asshole isn't gonna change cause you flipped them off

They'll just get mad and take it out on you for being decent

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
An asshole isn't gonna change cause you flipped them off

They'll just get mad and take it out on you for being decent

Sorry, my two sentences weren't supposed to be taken that way. I know that flipping them off isn't going to change their ways, but it's good to let them know that catcalling isn't cool and that objectifying your partner isn't a compliment as they think it is.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately there are plenty of assholes out there. I was once out running in the country alone and a car kept pulling up beside me, accelerating and then stopping. I just ignored them as best I could, and eventually they tired of it, but it was definitely scary.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, the comments in this thread and the level of victim blaming are really horrible and revealing. Sorry, if someone is being a sexist idiot in public, they deserve to be told off.

The idea that you should just let them get away with it and "accept the compliment" is the reason why this toxic sexist culture is allowed to flourish and multiply.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Any random person in this country could be packing heat so for your own safety you gotta fight the urge to say something. It's hard I know, I've wanted to call out assholes many a time but I'm a red state and you just never know what the other person is willing to do.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Something similar happened to me when I was younger in college, I flipped off a guy who almost hit me (didn't see him come because of the way the street is, he basically turned a corner very fast and disregarded the pedestrian light that was on). I got really scared and just screamed and flipped him off. Then proceed to the bus stop and noticed him following me. He just parked in front of the bus stop on the other end of the street and was waving at me to come at him, shouting angrily. He stopped and went away once other people showed up, I really checked myself to make sure he wasn't following me on my way home. It's scary.

When you act like that, even when you're right, you're sadly often making situations worse. You can cause a situation to escalate even if you're in the right. People that do stupid things like what you went through don't have the best judgement, so they are often prone to reacting angrily to things. Catcalling is bad, but the fact that they don't hesitate to do it even if the girl is not alone, or with other girls, is (sadly) a pretty good sign that these guys don't feel threatened by you.

Wow, the comments in this thread and the level of victim blaming are really horrible and revealing. Sorry, if someone is being a sexist idiot in public, they deserve to be told off.

The idea that you should just let them get away with it and "accept the compliment" is the reason why this toxic sexist culture is allowed to flourish and multiply.

It's not about victim blaming. It's about making the best of situations and not getting beat-up by idiots. No one here said anything about accepting the compliment, people accurately pointed out that being catcalled isn't a compliment. When you're outnumbered by idiots that can kick your ass, you don't escalate things. You try to calm things down, unless there's actual danger that you have to defend yourself from. Too many people get stabbed, shot, beat up into comas for stupid fucking reasons (stupid reason in that case would be hurting the ego of the two idiots who called out the fiancé).

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, the best thing to do is ignore this type of people and move on
Also, it would be a good ideia to just end the run and go home when it happened. We never know how crazy this guys are.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Downplaying harassment.
At first they didn't realize the girl was with someone. So they hootin. Then, they realize girl is with someone, and pay a complient. This is an act of respect. A means to attone. OP, angry, flips them off. They get livid.
Unless i'm missing something. A person (op) might attempt to cool the situtation by apologizing, and maybe, make a couple acquantences. Instead, he's paranoid, and reliving the moments.