• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Demonic Drape

Banned
Sep 10, 2021
This was a lot of fun. Better than the first. The director and actor were actually making the same film this time.

Is it amazing or anything? Nah. But that does for like 99% of comic book movies.

Hardy as Venom is fantastic, and he really does nail the campy anti hero venom I remember in the comics and loved.

Woody was just okay, I thought he would ham it up more than he did but he was kinda flat. Still leagues better than riz in the first film though.

And the end credit scene was great. I cant wait to see Hardy and Holland interact.

Demonic Drape

Banned
Sep 10, 2021
www.slashfilm.com

Venom: Let There Be Carnage Bites Off More Than Expected With $70 Million+ Opening Weekend - SlashFilm

Venom: Let There Be Carnage is on track for an estimated $71 million opening weekend, far outstripping Sony's earlier expectations.

This is pretty damn big in the Pandemic Era.
Its made $68M between Friday and Saturday. It's going to be the biggest opening weekend of the year and make between $85-90M. I dont know why this is continually being low balled.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I know what they think they can do with this Venom and MCU Spider-Man together, but it's not going to work unless they normalize the character. For both of these movies they've been empty besides Tom Hardy's sadsack comedy routine. Within that concept other characters dont know what's going on in his monologues which doesnt really matter since theyre not main characters in the same way Eddie being dragged along in the 'plots' doesnt really matter since he is the main character. Spider-Man becoming the main character would make the first unbelievably annoying and make the second very stupid to see. Tom Hardy's characterization thus far will legitimately need to be flushed down the toilet.
Idk i don't think any of that matters because the audience loves these films.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Happy to see the box office success!

Honestly, I loved this movie. Took everything I loved about the first one (absurd camp, tom hardy bein goofy) and turned it to 11 while pumping in more action and more comedy. Tom Hardy was fucking hilarious throughout, and all the potholes didnt matter so much when everything was just fun as hell.

Theres definitely a cut thats 30 minutes longer tho. I thought the length was fine but its clear they made a lot of cuts.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.slashfilm.com

Venom: Let There Be Carnage Bites Off More Than Expected With $70 Million+ Opening Weekend - SlashFilm

Venom: Let There Be Carnage is on track for an estimated $71 million opening weekend, far outstripping Sony's earlier expectations.

This is pretty damn big in the Pandemic Era.
Fantastic news. My theater was packed like sardines. What a hell of a fun movie this was.
I do foresee Venom having a ton more difficulty feeding himself with so many heroes in the MCU, he'll have to be even more cautious. Then again, killing bad guy grunts in the MCU didn't really have any consequences.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
You can portray other characters than the protagonist as having an internal dialogue.

Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin for example.

Doc Ock talks to his arms in Spidey 2.

For both of those the other voice did not talk back really. Looking at these 2 films each instance of the internal dialogue regulates any other character to be the deadpan completely lost sidekick in the comedy routine. That even happened to Carnage at the end scene. You can't have Spidey "what'd he say?"-ing Eddie to death. It works here because it's the voice of main character and the main narrative, but in a crossover he would be at most half a protagonist. They would need to tangibly create the pov shift in the movie or else both characters will look dumb.

And so far Eddie has not wanted to be there for the plots of these movies but the camera follows him because he's the protagonist. Turning Eddie into a side character grown man chasing around Peter Parker and not wanting to be there will deflate the character and make him goofier than he already is. Eddie cant go along with another one of Venom's crazy trips. Sony needs to actually do some writing to give him real motivations.

I was harsh in saying it's impossible, but they're using a lot of narrative tools to prop up these 2 films that wouldn't stand in a crossover.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Think of how much power Sony will have in their further negotiations with Disney/Marvel.

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I've always liked the aesthetic of the symbiotes. How many other noteworthy ones are out there to put in future movies? There's scream but I'm not sure who else. Is antivenom interesting as at all?

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think of how much power Sony will have in their further negotiations with Disney/Marvel.
While Arrogant Sony could indeed go to the table... I don't see what leverage they have against Greedy Disney 🤔

I think Disney has a lot on its plate right now. Sony's "We have a Venom" is ultimately irrelevant for the former, when the Multiverse lets them pull a "Spider-Man was lost on his Way Home" easily, killing any intention of an outside company getting more power in their most valuable division, and be done with it, until the next time Sony messed up Spider-Man and once again need to pick the brand up.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

They lost it as soon as they resolved every single character relationship Eddie had to drop him in Disney's Universe.

There's no "Venomverse" so there's nowhere for Holland Spidey to go.

Sony would have more power if they actually had their own universe going on....

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
They lost it as soon as they resolved every single character relationship Eddie had to drop him in Disney's Universe.

I wouldn't necessarily call Venom major leverage over Disney. But let's not pretend that Sony cant find new avenues for Venom and their own Spiderman projects if a divorce settlement rears its ugly head again.

Corporate culture doesn't care about narrative when it comes to deals like these. Hell, the fact that this deal has lasted so long between two studios is actually rather impressive.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Spider-Man 4 with Venom as the villain will be huge. Probably the only big thing they can do after No Way Home.

Venom as the villain? Nah.

It might be a Batman vs Superman type deal where they fight early, but there's actually no chance that he'll be the primary antagonist or positioned as anything other than an anti-hero in the end.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Venom as the villain? Nah.

It might be a Batman vs Superman type deal where they fight early, but there's actually no chance that he'll be the primary antagonist or positioned as anything other than an anti-hero in the end.

Fully Agreed, I also don't think they'll meet in a Spider-Man film.

It will be a Venom film

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

It's pretty clear at this point that they're attaching all their Non-Spider-Verse Spidey movies to the MCU. I wouldn't be surprised if they can get someone non-Spidey related to appear in one of their movies. (Like get Shang-Chi in a Venom movie or something.)

Would be nice if they could get more general Marvel stuff in their Spider-Verse films so we can get the Matt Murdock Kingpin from Spider-Gwen and other such characters.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
So what exactly was that at the end with the Spider-Man scene? Was the weird blip thing the spell Strange cast going wrong pulling Venom into the MCU? Also Venom and Spider-Man have no reason to dislike one another in the movies.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
So what exactly was that at the end with the Spider-Man scene? Was the weird blip thing the spell Strange cast going wrong pulling Venom into the MCU? Also Venom and Spider-Man have no reason to dislike one another in the movies.
The current theory is that Venom remembers that a Spiderman killed a version of himself on another universe (Raimi's Spiderman 3).

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017

The movie ends with Venom and Eddie agreeing to be "Lethal Protectors". Vigilante good guys.

In that scene, J. Jonah is villainizing Peter as a superhuman murderer.

The current theory is that Venom remembers that a Spiderman killed a version of himself on another universe (Raimi's Spiderman 3).

That makes some sense, too. Considering the conversation right before about Symbiote knowledge throughout space and time.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to come off as harsh but it's truly how I feel.

I'm glad that people are enjoying the movie, but I absolutely hated it. It's like they tried to make the movie as loud and as obnoxious as possible. The prison break scene and the facility break scene were both just so obnoxious with just an insane amount of screeching, smashing, shooting, and exploding.

I get that it's an action movie, so being "loud" is just going to happen. But it honestly felt like this movie went out of its way to be the loudest and most "in your face" movie released this year. Because of this, I was actually physically put off multiple times while watching it.

Had the acting or story been good, I could've maaaaybe looked past that. But it's a garbage movie imo

Last edited:

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't like this movie at all. It was...an annoying mess....to say the least. I even liked the first one more. Not looking forward to the crossover.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
For both of those the other voice did not talk back really. Looking at these 2 films each instance of the internal dialogue regulates any other character to be the deadpan completely lost sidekick in the comedy routine. That even happened to Carnage at the end scene. You can't have Spidey "what'd he say?"-ing Eddie to death. It works here because it's the voice of main character and the main narrative, but in a crossover he would be at most half a protagonist. They would need to tangibly create the pov shift in the movie or else both characters will look dumb.

And so far Eddie has not wanted to be there for the plots of these movies but the camera follows him because he's the protagonist. Turning Eddie into a side character grown man chasing around Peter Parker and not wanting to be there will deflate the character and make him goofier than he already is. Eddie cant go along with another one of Venom's crazy trips. Sony needs to actually do some writing to give him real motivations.

I was harsh in saying it's impossible, but they're using a lot of narrative tools to prop up these 2 films that wouldn't stand in a crossover.

I think you might be slightly overthinking the appeal of a crossover, which would be Venom punching a CGI bad guy next to Spidey punching a CGI bad guy.

PMA

Alt account / Attempted to circumvent ban with alt
Banned
Sep 13, 2021

I wonder if behind the scenes they've inked a deal or got something else planned but just haven't announced yet for fear of spoiling no way home.

No way after almost getting burned during the last negotiation they just leave this up to chance. I reckon they will plan set arcs and filming / crossovers around exactly how long they know they are together. And Sony also is starting to get very linked with MCU as well so would want it there. Both parties I think want it to be mutually beneficial now.

Amathene

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Eddie/Venom romcom buddy movie that shortcuts right to the central conflict in just under 90 mins was *chef's kiss*. I love the MCU but this was the most fun I've had watching a cape flick in a long time! Hardy & Serkis MVP

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017
I liked it as much as I liked the first one. It was good but reminded me too much of a 90's superhero movie. The writing in both movies was weak and too unrealistic. I did laugh more than I thought I would and really do like the way they're making Eddie and Venom buddies.

So many holes though or just not enough time explaining:
  1. How did Shriek get her powers. Are we supposed to guess?
  2. what was that facility that she was in?
  3. When Venom was taking over all those other bodies at the club (and Mrs. Chen), did they die? Looked like one did but they glossed over it.
  4. The fight at the end left way too many questions like was Carnage really killed? The cops eyes glowing (I read above it's Toxin but there was no lead up to that). Shriek died too?
  5. Mid credits scene lacked any motivation from Venom other than "we need to crossover" BUT I was super excited when I realized what was happening
It feels like it should have been longer to explain all of that. Just felt rushed or chopped up too much. I'm all in for Venom 3 either way. I just hope they improve the weak spots.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
All those people who said if you liked the first, then you'll like this one. Yep, I liked the first and I liked this one as well. I really enjoy Eddie and Venom's immature and comedic relationship. It carries the movie for me and probably most people who like this movie despite the shortcomings. Hell I can't really even complain about the shortcomings because being enjoyable makes you not worry about those things as much if at all. Like sure it felt a little rushed and I wish there was more exposition but I had fun watching it so it's cool lol.

As for the ending. I guess they're just using the multiverse madness that's going on in the MCU without actually referencing it. The fans will probably just have to get the hint since it may never be spelled out for them. And Marvel won't acknowledge this while Venom only gets to meet Spidey and no one else. I'm cool with that, just give Venom spidey powers and have a cool villain for them to team up to fight.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Hated this movie. It was edited to be loud and obnoxious. Way too over the top for me. I can't believe they wasted the opportunity after the buckets of money the first one made.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Can we also talk about how horrible the central conflict and character motivations are? Very little of anything actually made sense. This whole movie, kind of like Fast 9, reminded me of a Michael Bay Transformers movie. Characters want to do things "just because" and all of the logic is barely held together and just an excuse to get to multiple obnoxiously edited action sequences that are both dark and too loud.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we also talk about how horrible the central conflict and character motivations are? Very little of anything actually made sense. This whole movie, kind of like Fast 9, reminded me of a Michael Bay Transformers movie. Characters want to do things "just because" and all of the logic is barely held together and just an excuse to get to multiple obnoxiously edited action sequences that are both dark and too loud.
I mean, Cassidy and Carnage's goals are very clear.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Cassidy and Carnage's goals are very clear.
I agree. Their goals are clear. They just happen to also be dumb and very rushed.

Carnage wants to kill Venom because "only one of us can live" or something. And Cassidy is pissed off about the bodies getting found despite telling Eddie that he would let him know everything if his message got out.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
So what's going on with Morbius?

Is the idea that Morbius takes place in regular MCU (Since vulture is there) and Venom is the one who got transported to the current MCU?
Trying to figure out how the marketing around that reveal is supposed to work now? Was the movie just gonna snatch back spider-man at the time?
Was it always meant to take place after No Way Home? Are the just cramming universes together now?

I don't particularly care what the answer is, i just wanna know what the likely course is

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

Is the idea that Morbius takes place in regular MCU (Since vulture is there) and Venom is the one who got transported to the current MCU?
Trying to figure out how the marketing around that reveal is supposed to work now? Was the movie just gonna snatch back spider-man at the time?
Was it always meant to take place after No Way Home? Are the just cramming universes together now?

I don't particularly care what the answer is, i just wanna know what the likely course is

Going by Andy Serkis' comments aboht how everything was in flux when it came to the post-credit scene, at one point Spiderman was actually a major player in Venom 2's story.

I assume when he said that, that would have been early on while Disney and Sony were having a public spat.

So I'm guessing Morbius is this weird left over from when Sony were gearing up for sole control over the Spiderman movies again.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
This is going to come off as harsh but it's truly how I feel.

I'm glad that people are enjoying the movie, but I absolutely hated it. It's like they tried to make the movie as loud and as obnoxious as possible. The prison break scene and the facility break scene were both just so obnoxious with just an insane amount of screeching, smashing, shooting, and exploding.

I get that it's an action movie, so being "loud" is just going to happen. But it honestly felt like this movie went out of its way to be the loudest and most "in your face" movie released this year. Because of this, I was actually physically put off multiple times while watching it.

Had the acting or story been good, I could've maaaaybe looked past that. But it's a garbage movie imo
I felt the same way. I could barely understand what Venom was saying too. I actually enjoyed the first Venom, but this was just ridiculously bad. So tired of seeing Woody too. He was not good here.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Speaking from a production and legal standpoint:
Since Sony can only use characters related to Spider-Man (So never MCU characters, not locations, nor events, etc.), and Spider-Man himself. Their movies will never become part of the MCU proper (Meaning the universe where we see the movies take place) since there is no coordination or worldbuilding.
Conversely Marvel Studios is not able to use live-action characters from Spider-Man (Not even Spider-Man himself) without permission from Sony, so it's highly unlikely they will ever use Venom or Morbius; since they'd need permission from Sony (See the What If... episode with Survivor Spider-Man for an example of the lengths they'd go before that.)

The Sony Universe will try to appear as if it was MCU but will start showing the seams (Timeline -MCU is ahead some years-, no references to big events in the MCU, no organizations of the MCU, concepts of powers are off-limits -mutants, specific magic-, etc.)

Regarding Venom's post credits, I think the most likely scenario is that it won't be referenced not even in Venom 3 (Like the wig in the last one :v ). It was most likely trying to tie-in into No Way Home hype.
Potential spoilers from No Way Home leaks: And so far the indication is that Venom isn't part of the Sinister Six, nor appears in the movie. And even if Venom appears in a post-credits scene, it would never have a follow-up in the MCU proper.

The most likely appearance of Venom and Spider-Man together will be Venom 3, since it's where Sony keeps 100% of the profits.

Think of Spider-Man in the Sony's SUMC as a Variant Spider-Man where events depicted in the Marvel Studios Spider-Man movies happened (Like Peter unmasking, but not anything else, i.e. The Blip)

And IF Venom appears in a post-credits scene, think as a Variant Venom, who will never be seen again in the MCU

The perfect example is Agents of SHIELD where nothing that happened there ever mattered to the worldbuilding / was referenced in the Marvel Studios productions.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing to see Far From Home confirms that all Marvel Sony stuff is in the MCU Multiverse. Venom is now in the actual MCU doesn't mean he'll stay but hes actually there.
this gets me wondering, is Marvel Studios gonna recast Carnage as a variant in the MCU, and then Spider-Man and Venom team up to defeat him as Venom 3: Maximum Carnage?

That would make Venom 3 a film that takes place in the MCU universe, but still not part of the MCU franchise. So even though that movie's universe will be shared as the same as the MCU's main universe, perhaps Sony will still have to treat it as a Sony's Spider-Man universe movie and just not talk or bring up anything that happened in the Avengers or other crossovers etc. let alone can we expect any MCU characters to show up in it.

...can we?

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking from a production and legal standpoint:
Since Sony can only use characters related to Spider-Man (So never MCU characters, not locations, nor events, etc.), and Spider-Man himself. Their movies will never become part of the MCU proper (Meaning the universe where we see the movies take place) since there is no coordination or worldbuilding.
Conversely Marvel Studios is not able to use live-action characters from Spider-Man (Not even Spider-Man himself) without permission from Sony, so it's highly unlikely they will ever use Venom or Morbius; since they'd need permission from Sony (See the What If... episode with Survivor Spider-Man for an example of the lengths they'd go before that.)

The Sony Universe will try to appear as if it was MCU but will start showing the seams (Timeline -MCU is ahead some years-, no references to big events in the MCU, no organizations of the MCU, concepts of powers are off-limits -mutants, specific magic-, etc.)

Regarding Venom's post credits, I think the most likely scenario is that it won't be referenced not even in Venom 3 (Like the wig in the last one :v ). It was most likely trying to tie-in into No Way Home hype.
Potential spoilers from No Way Home leaks: And so far the indication is that Venom isn't part of the Sinister Six, nor appears in the movie. And even if Venom appears in a post-credits scene, it would never have a follow-up in the MCU proper.

The most likely appearance of Venom and Spider-Man together will be Venom 3, since it's where Sony keeps 100% of the profits.

Think of Spider-Man in the Sony's SUMC as a Variant Spider-Man where events depicted in the Marvel Studios Spider-Man movies happened (Like Peter unmasking, but not anything else, i.e. The Blip)

And IF Venom appears in a post-credits scene, think as a Variant Venom, who will never be seen again in the MCU

The perfect example is Agents of SHIELD where nothing that happened there ever mattered to the worldbuilding / was referenced in the Marvel Studios productions.
Occam's razor suggests this is highly unlikely and Venom is just in the MCU for a movie or two.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if the symbiotes' hive mind also reaches to the multiverse. There must be a reason for why the hive mind was being brought up just before the jump to the MCU.

There was some recognition in Venom's words… maybe he recognized the Spider-Man suit and thinks it's Tobey from Spider-Man 3.

It could actually explain why Hardy's Venom took that shape and name… the hive mind recognized the Eddie Brock name from the experience of the symbiote in SM3.

Last edited:

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Was one of the most fun, most funny, most enjoyable super heros I've seen probably ever. I'm pretty tired of the Marvel forumla, so this movie fully embracing itself and how ridiculous it all is, was just great.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
this movie fucking ruled lol

I was not expecting it to be so romantic

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Funnier, goofier, and better paced than the first one. The actors seemed like they had fun. Chewed up the scenery. This movie knew what it wanted to be, where before there was clearly an identity crisis. I admire that sort of improvement in a sequel. It's all you can really ask for.

Basically, Venom 2 leans into everything that made Venom watchable. I mean, Venom himself was unintelligible at parts which still irked me a little, but I can say I legit laughed at his hijinks. As for Carnage, I'd say he's a step above Riot. Woody Harrelson hammed it up in every scene. The climax was better than last time for sure. Perhaps I'm disappointed at Carnage and Shriek being one-offs but that's just how it goes with comic movies.

I'm down for another!

Last edited:

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty fun movie, the CGI wasn't too bad either.
But definitely the worst performance of Harrelson I've seen, jesus that was embarrassing.

The post credits is interesting, I wonder which MCU movie will show Venom