• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
The people doom posting about theatres and wishing for it are people that dont go to the theatre anyway.

Complain about distractions in the audience but take 4 hours to watch a 2 hour movie at home because they're constantly pausing and playing on their phone.

I go to a movie every weekend and the amount of bad experiences I can think of I can count on 1 hand.
But my OLED.....

breaking-tv-throwing-tv.gif

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
In your opinion, sure. But there was plenty of people that did enjoy things beyond that about the film, particularly the younger teen crowd.

You dont make $750M without China if nobody liked anything. Or spawn a massively popular soundtrack. Or massively popular cos plays. I still see viral tik toks every other week that reference SS in some way. TSS came and went and had 0 cultural cache.

And, considering they took Harley in a different direction after the film and got rid of the Joker romance that absolutely was popular with some people outside your bubble, and both her follow up films flopped well....that's just more evidence WB played the cards wrong.

They panicked, made rash decisions and listened to people that hated it instead of liked it, and were rewarded by *checks notes* having now released 3 box office bombs in a row.

TSS, like JL2017, was a film that appealed to nobody.

SS wasnt a good film, but it absolutely had elements people liked about it. I know that doesnt jive with some peoples binary view of it, but most people live in bubbles and cant see past their own opinion.

I am not saying 100% an actual sequel would have done well. Maybe it would have bombed. But I do know TSS didnt work.

And I am happy to see Sony rewarded for sticking to their guns instead of kowtowing to certain people.
You lost me the second you tried making a case for the fucking Suicide Squad...

That is one of the absolute fucking worst movies I've ever seen in theaters, made worse by the fact that I had hopes for it. I don't give jack shit about "the teens", I'm not working in WB's accounting department. Centering on dipshits thinking Harley and Joker are cute (missing the whole point that we were already years after the conversation that Harley should be distanced from him) doesn't interest me.

TSS is easily one of the most enjoyable superhero movies I've seen in years and actually uses its concept well instead of the horrendous nonsensically pointless bullshit that was the first.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
User banned (3 Days): Drive-by trolling, history of trolling
People want Spider-Man of course they're gonna watch this trash. Second weekend drops like a brick.

Demonic Drape

Banned
Sep 10, 2021
You lost me the second you tried making a case for the fucking Suicide Squad...

That is one of the absolute fucking worst movies I've ever seen in theaters, made worse by the fact that I had hopes for it. I don't give jack shit about "the teens", I'm not working in WB's accounting department. Centering on dipshits thinking Harley and Joker are cute (missing the whole point that we were already years after the conversation that Harley should be distanced from him) doesn't interest me.

TSS is easily one of the most enjoyable superhero movies I've seen in years and actually uses its concept well instead of the horrendous nonsensically pointless bullshit that was the first.
I know this might be a foreign concept to you. But not everything has to appeal to you.

That's cool you enjoyed TSS, doesnt it make it any less of one of the biggest bombs in years.

I didnt think SS was a good film, and I didnt think TSS was a good film either.

And guess what? Both films got the same cinemascore from audiences. But SS actually had legs at the box office.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I know this might be a foreign concept to you. But not everything has to appeal to you.

That's cool you enjoyed TSS, doesnt it make it any less of one of the biggest bombs in years.

I didnt think SS was a good film, and I didnt think TSS was a good film either.
Again... why do you think I give a shit? What point is this supposed to be making?

The sheer number of movies I could list that are beloved to me that failed at the box office (not even counting being a pandemic victim, whilst streaming on HBO Max) is beside the point that Gunn was mostly given a blank check to do what he wanted and I think the movie rules for it.

Demonic Drape

Banned
Sep 10, 2021
Again... why do you think I give a shit? What point is this supposed to be making?

The sheer number of movies I could list that are beloved to me that failed at the box office (not even counting being a pandemic victim, whilst streaming on HBO Max) is beside the point that Gunn was mostly given a blank check to do what he wanted and I think the movie rules for it.
Are you even following the conversation or are you too seething red about SS?

The conversation is literally about the box office, in a thread about box office, why Venom 2 did well and TSS failed. Not what movie YOU like better.

You can't seem to grasp being objective or seeing something beyond your own POV

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
why do people keep making this a "ERA SHOOK LMFAO" thing when the actual weird dynamic here is how polarized y'all are over this franchise lol

genuinely funny how Venom threads of all things consistently become circular firing squads

The Venom review thread for this film was so full of... venom. And folks here talking about bad taste and such, there is some serious salt against this series doing well

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
In your opinion, sure. But there was plenty of people that did enjoy things beyond that about the film, particularly the younger teen crowd.

You dont make $750M without China if nobody liked anything. Or spawn a massively popular soundtrack. Or massively popular cos plays. I still see viral tik toks every other week that reference SS in some way. TSS came and went and had 0 cultural cache.

And, considering they took Harley in a different direction after the film and got rid of the Joker romance that absolutely was popular with some people outside your bubble, and both her follow up films flopped well....that's just more evidence WB played the cards wrong.

They panicked, made rash decisions and listened to people that hated it instead of liked it, and were rewarded by *checks notes* having now released 3 box office bombs in a row.

SS wasnt a good film, but it absolutely had elements people liked about it. I know that doesnt jive with some peoples binary view of it, but most people live in bubbles and cant see past their own opinion.

I am not saying 100% an actual sequel would have done well. Maybe it would have bombed. But I do know TSS didnt work.

And I am happy to see Sony rewarded for sticking to their guns instead of kowtowing to certain people.

Great read of it. SS was a big hit with audiences and after a rough second week drop it had legs for weeks and weeks iirc. That's what it looks like when your movie has resonated with general audiences, you end up with 750m vs a film that might (probably?) not make back it's production budget of 185m, not including marketing.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
If I don't see double the numbers for Dune in a few weeks I'm blaming ya'll for killing cinema. I will then proceed to pilot the Right Leg in the Kinotron mecha robot team led by Martin Scorsese to destroy every home OLED theater setup in America

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Im not pointing any fingers here it's just very common to see people all over the internet hate on this movie simply because it's not in the MCU. That's the point Im trying to make. The general audience doesn't seem to care as much about that sort of stuff which is why this movie is doing well.
MCU stans are near Star wars tier of toxic about stuff like this.

if it doesn't fit into their universe, it must be cut out.

Last edited:

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Hostility.
People want Spider-Man of course they're gonna watch this trash. Second weekend drops like a brick.
Jeez, sure lets ignore how wildly successful the first film is and how this second one is getting a lot of positive buzz from the same people who made it succeed last time.

I'm going to go see it again next weekend just to make assholes like you feel silly.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Nah, this isn't true. It's clearly proven now that audiences like Venom as a character apart from Spider-Man.

Also, the first Venom didn't "drop like a brick." It made almost $900m and it's impossible to deny that the sequel is a hit.

Jesus some of you get bitter when a non MCU movie does well. It's ok for others to succeed.

You're the one who mentioned the MCU. And it's not the first time this has happened in the thread. Y'all really need to stop getting so defensive and accusing anyone being negative about Venom of simply disliking it because it's not MCU.

The first movie is at 30% on RottenTomatoes. Are you going to try to tell me that's because it's not an MCU film?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Nah, this isn't true. It's clearly proven now that audiences like Venom as a character apart from Spider-Man.

Also, the first Venom didn't "drop like a brick." It made almost $900m and it's impossible to deny that the sequel is a hit.

You're the one who mentioned the MCU. And it's not the first time this has happened in the thread. Y'all really need to stop getting so defensive and accusing anyone being negative about Venom of simply disliking it because it's not MCU.

The first movie is at 30% on RottenTomatoes. Are you going to try to tell me that's because it's not an MCU film?
I don't know critics don't like half the shit I enjoy whether it be video games, movies or tv shows.

Nov 13, 2017

TSS was a massive smash on HBO Max and pirating sites. Your argument is moot.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Are you even following the conversation or are you too seething red about SS?

The conversation is literally about the box office, in a thread about box office, why Venom 2 did well and TSS failed. Not what movie YOU like better.

You can't seem to grasp being objective or seeing something beyond your own POV
I didn't write 8 paragraphs going on about how "how WB should have honored 2016's SS!" (which... they did, they kept the returning cast), so seething red is a weird projection.

Demonic Drape

Banned
Sep 10, 2021
I didn't write 8 paragraphs going on about how "how WB should have honored 2016's SS!" (which... they did, they kept the returning cast), so seething red is a weird projection.
I wrote out a well thought response and your response was literally

"I DONT GIve A SHIT WHAT TEENS LIKE I DIDNT LIKE IT!!!!

And then proceeded to not even understand what the conversation was even about.

I wrote nothing about honoring 2016 SS. I said there was elements people liked about it.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
If I don't see double the numbers for Dune in a few weeks I'm blaming ya'll for killing cinema. I will then proceed to pilot the Right Leg in the Kinotron mecha robot team led by Martin Scorsese to destroy every home OLED theater setup in America
There hasn't been a single HBO Max day-and-date release that has opened to more than $32M. Dune opening to even half of Venom's haul this past weekend seems optimistic.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't watched the Venom movies yet but hearing how weird and over the top they are makes me want to root for them.

Demonic Drape

Banned
Sep 10, 2021
Great read of it. SS was a big hit with audiences and after a rough second week drop it had legs for weeks and weeks iirc. That's what it looks like when your movie has resonated with general audiences, you end up with 750m vs a film that might (probably?) not make back it's production budget of 185m, not including marketing.
The lesson is, listen to your actual fans. Don't listen to people that wknt support you when it matters anyway.

Sony did, and Venom now has the biggest OW of the year. Would we be here if they panicked and completely changed the next film to be nothing like the first? Probably not.

Demonic Drape

Banned
Sep 10, 2021
The fact that it debuted day and date on a streaming service and was hugely successful on that streaming service is directly related to the box office.

You can't have an honest discussion about TSS box office without HBO Max.
Which is why I brought up Conjuring 3 and GVK. 2 films also on Max that werent colossal failures at the box office.

So how do you explain why those did fairly well and why TSS did historically bad?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Which is why I brought up Conjuring 3 and GVK. 2 films also on Max that werent colossal failures at the box office.

So how do you explain why those did fairly well and why TSS did historically bad?

Marketing. Delta variant. But also, The Conjuring 3 made almost the same amount of money as The Suicide Squad in America so you're hammering down on something that really isn't a big selling point for your argument.

The Suicide Squad disappointed at the box office. Absolutely. However, you are trying to use that metric alone to prove that you "know it didn't work" and ignoring multiple other facts surrounding the film that actually shows it did work. It was a critical success and a streaming success. The film worked.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

I think you can make the case that big monster movies and horror movies are easily sold as 'big screen experiences' that are worth committing a whole evening for.

TSS' biggest problem is that people didn't really know what it was. Not just in the DCEU Canon - (it's a sequel, but also a reboot, but also kinda feels like a prequel based on the retro presentation...) but as a picture. The action never seemed particularly bombastic, the comedy didn't really come across on screen, and Gunn still isn't a name with pull outside of the MCU. So cautious audiences either caught it on HBO Max, or they skipped entirely.

That said, I think both Dune and Matrix 4 come across as 'big screen movies'. So I think they'll suffer less from the HBO Max availability.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Because horror is still a front-loaded theatrical experience. And GvK was the first big movie after vaccine rollouts and people desperately wanted something big and stupid like the monkey punching the lizard

TSS is a badly named, awkwardly marketed follow-up to a deeply reviled movie that people weren't itching to risk their lives on in the midst of a delta variant when they could watch it at home.

Demonic Drape

Banned
Sep 10, 2021
Marketing. Delta variant. But also, The Conjuring 3 made almost the same amount of money as The Suicide Squad in America so you're hammering down on something that really isn't a big selling point for your argument.

The Suicide Squad disappointed at the box office. Absolutely. However, you are trying to use that metric alone to prove that you "know it didn't work" and ignoring multiple other facts surrounding the film that actually shows it did work. It was a critical success and a streaming success. The film worked.
The conjuring 3 was a profitable movie with a small budget and made a similar amount to the last film in the universes franchise.

TSS is a big budget blockbuster that lost $100M+ at the box office. And almost $600M less than the previous SS film.

Also the Max gambit was stupid, has cost WB billions and it isnt even available to the majority of the world. They ruined a lot of films chances while angering most of their creative talent. Doing well on Max isnt some boon you think it is.