• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The Guardian said:
Venice's Santa Lucia railway station is packed as visitors scuttle across the concourse towards the water-bus stops. Taking a selfie against the backdrop of the Grand Canal, Ciro Esposito and his girlfriend have just arrived and are unimpressed with what may greet them in future if the Venetian authorities get their way: a minimum city entry fee of €2.50 throughout the year, rising to between €5 and €10 during peak periods.

It is the price of a cappuccino, but for them "it's going too far". "They are using people like a bank machine," says Esposito. "We are in Europe and can travel freely across borders, yet we have to pay to enter one of our own cities."

In earlier times it was the wheeled suitcases that tourists rattled over the cobbles that drew the ire of Venetians – so much so that the authorities pledged to fine anyone caught using one up to €500. That never happened, but now another – more plausible – penalty is being concocted. To manage the impact of the 30 million people who visit the lagoon city every year, the daytrippers – those who come, take pictures, and leave – are to be forced to pay, although it is unclear when the tax will be introduced or how it could be enforced.

It is the price of a cappuccino, but for them "it's going too far". "They are using people like a bank machine," says Esposito. "We are in Europe and can travel freely across borders, yet we have to pay to enter one of our own cities."

"If people want to come, then they will still pay to come," says Clelia Tanzarelli, a regular visitor from Rome. "Venice is a very delicate city and there needs to be some plan, but if this is just an extra tax then it won't solve the problem. A better solution would be to limit visitor numbers."

Source

What do you say, ERA, Does €2.50-€10 too much for visiting Venice in your opinion? Should visitors be limited instead?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017
It gets to a point where overcrowding of a city starts to affect the quality of life of citizens. Just this New Year's the Brooklyn Bridge was close to pedestrians because it was absolutely jam packed. I'm ok with it.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
many port towns get over run by tourists stemming from Cruise ships who contribute nothing to the local economy.

These tourists get off their cruise ships, act like jerks, trash the place with their garbage, buy nothing, and return to their cruise ships.

Barcelona is clamping down on them now, and many other port cities are following suit.
--
look at this monstrosity

3000.jpg

that huge piece of junk towers over most buildings of the entire town,

imagine a who who cruise load of cheap ass tourists invading a small town...

fuck cruise tourists

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/may/01/venice-to-segregate-tourists-in-may-day-overcrowding

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit. I was just going over there to sell six Stradivarius violas to an eccentric Japanese collector. How am I going to explain this extra $2:50 to The Baron?

Goddamned tourists.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very few people actually live in Venice. Even the people who own the shops and stuff generally commute from the mainland. These days, Venice is more amusement park than actual city.

As someone who used to "day trip" to Venice all the time, I don't really see an issue with this.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds dumb. It's just an easy way to cash in on tourism. People will pay but you're still a shitty city for doing it. Plus, folks will find a way not to pay as well. It's a lot like Vancouver where they put in the Canada Line (Vancouver to Airport train). The 3 stations closest to the airport are controlled by the airport so they added a "leaving Sea Island fare" where you pay an added $5 just to leave. People now just buy a return ticket on another station before the airport and use that to leave all to save $5.

many port towns get over run by tourists stemming from Cruise ships who contribute nothing to the local economy.

These tourists get off their cruise ships, act like jerks, trash the place with their garbage, buy nothing, and return to their cruise ships.

Barcelona is clamping down on them now, and many other port cities are following suit.
--
look at this monstrosity

3000.jpg

fuck cruise tourists

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/may/01/venice-to-segregate-tourists-in-may-day-overcrowding
"cheap? Because they pay a lot to go to different towns and party each night? The money's not going to cheap trinket shops because no one wants cheap trinkets. They want photos, getting drunk, and generally exploring.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Sounds dumb. It's just an easy way to cash in on tourism. People will pay but you're still a shitty city for doing it. Plus, folks will find a way not to pay as well. It's a lot like Vancouver where they put in the Canada Line (Vancouver to Airport train). The 3 stations closest to the airport are controlled by the airport so they added a "leaving Sea Island fare" where you pay an added $5 just to leave. People now just buy a return ticket on another station before the airport and use that to leave all to save $5.

"cheap? Because they pay a lot to go to different towns and party each night? The money's not going to cheap trinket shops because no one wants cheap trinkets. They want photos, getting drunk, and generally exploring.
they are paying for their cruise but are not spending a dime locally in the towns they are visiting.

fucker cruisers

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

--
look at this monstrosity

3000.jpg

fuck cruise tourists

Surely for a ship that large there'd be some pretty huge docking fees though? So there's that at least.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Pay as you go is the most efficient way to do this especially for leisure travelers. The other option is a lottery and/or restrictions and banning tourist entirely.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who used to "day trip" to Venice all the time, I don't really see an issue with this.

Says in the article though:
For many Italians, though, the charge is not the answer. Even those who welcome it are sceptical that it will make a real difference. The entrance fee will not apply to those who have booked hotel rooms, and visitors already pay a tourist tax of up to €6 per night if they stay in the city.

many of those same locals are enraged by the idea that the charge would also have to be paid by departed Venetians visiting home and family. Understandably, that is not something they can celebrate.

"It's like adding insult to injury," said Marco Gasparinetti, who leads the Gruppo 25 Aprile activist group. "After forcing thousands of people to leave the city, you now force them to pay to visit their families? The tax would make sense if it was a way to offset the environmental impact of the cruise ships, as other than for cruise passengers, it's very difficult to apply."

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
There are beaches and even islands in Spain (Playa de las catedrales, Islas Cíes, etc) that limit the number of visitors per day. I think that's what Venice should do, but then they'd lose lots of money instead of making it...

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

--
look at this monstrosity

3000.jpg

fuck cruise tourists

Crazy how big these cruise ships are

they have everything they need on the stupid cruise boat, so these free loaders just come to shore with bullies full and loaded with backpacks with snacks and spend nothing then they guy back to their crummy cruise boat and gorge on the food at on the cruise ship
When I was on a cruise I made it a point to try local cuisine and buy some sort of souvenir wherever we docked because cruise food wasn't particularly good and i wanted to try local specialties.
But I've never been on a cruise in Europe, maybe it's different? Are the tourists somehow qualitatively worse?

EDIT: personally I think i wouldn't mind paying the tax as a tourist. I feel like Italian citizens should be exempt.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
they have everything they need on the stupid cruise boat, so these free loaders just come to shore with bullies full and loaded with backpacks with snacks and spend nothing then they guy back to their crummy cruise boat and gorge on the food at on the cruise ship

Dude....what? The kind of people who can afford to drop 4k on a two week cruise are the kind that will buy expensive non trinket souvenirs from a city. During my honeymoon I bought the wife jewelery from literally every city we visited. We aren't talking about backpackers staying in hostels

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
When I was on a cruise I made it a point to try local cuisine and buy some sort of souvenir wherever we docked because cruise food wasn't particularly good and i wanted to try local specialties.
But I've never been on a cruise in Europe, maybe it's different? Are the tourists somehow qualitatively worse?

EDIT: personally I think i wouldn't mind paying the tax as a tourist. I feel like Italian citizens should be exempt.

German tourists have a....reputation amongst many European countries. I have....experienced it many times myself. Let's leave it at that

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
A tourist tax is not so uncommon to be honest. Japan is introducing a departure tax soon, for example. I don't see how they could split daytrip people and those staying longer. Probably taxing everyone at the end.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Very few people actually live in Venice. Even the people who own the shops and stuff generally commute from the mainland. These days, Venice is more amusement park than actual city.

Yeah, many of the city's old population got pushed out because of tourism and this is only another gut punch to them. If anything new laws should be made to combat Airbnb as that is one of the reasons for the pushout. We even had a thread for thislast year.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/‘o...-much-did-technology-help-get-us-there.65300/
xpopulation_1540_to_243fsn.png

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, many of the city's old population got pushed out because of tourism and this is only another gut punch to them. If anything new laws should be made to combat Airbnb as that is one of the reasons for the pushout. We even had a thread for thislast year.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/‘o...-much-did-technology-help-get-us-there.65300/
xpopulation_1540_to_243fsn.png
Looking st that graph though, you can see the population had already started its plummet decades before AirBnB.

The fact is, a city like Venice just isn't a convienient place to live. If anything, tourism is what has kept it thriving and profitable for so many years now. Most of the people who were "pushed out" by AirBnB had also spent their lives profiting off the tourism, and continue to after they commute in every day. There isn't much else there besides tourism.

lol

The entire point of getting off the boat is to experience the local culture and especially the cuisine. You have no idea what you're talking about.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Uh yeah from people I know in retail, the cruise ships are huge money. Rude, but big spenders. They get extra workers if there's a big ship coming in.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who was planning a trip overseas, I think I'm staying home or at least away from Europe for the time being.

I'm not sure this is the answer, but I'd be happy to pay a (another) fee as a visitor for Venice. The city gets wrecked and overrun by tourists all the time, and it's in dire need of restoration/shoring up which is extra extra expensive due to its age and situation. I went back in 2001(?) and it felt really depressing, a dirty shell of a city picked over by seagulls. :(

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
I'm still glad I skipped Venice on my Italy trip. With how bad the overcrowding is there I think the tax should frankly be much higher.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

--
look at this monstrosity

3000.jpg

fuck cruise tourists

Many passengers that disembark (and not all of them do) usually:

1. Go out and eat/drink at the local restaurants/cafe's.
2. Buy souvenirs to take back with them from the markets
3. Go on local "tours" and things (which cost money).

Not to mention the crew members that disembark usually hit up the bars and things too for some R&R.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
It is their one USP, so I am never a fan of biting the hand that feeds you

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
Having just stayed in Europe for 21 days in Dec, this isn't uncommon. We stayed in Rome and Venice and the Italians will basically charge you whatever with "tourist tax" for each person every night. They also hit you with coperto when you go out to eat. (Service charge for bread and linen when going out to eat).

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this is the answer or not, but Venice needs to do something. The city is crumbling and has too many visitors already.

As someone who was planning a trip overseas, I think I'm staying home or at least away from Europe for the time being.
Why? Venice is an extreme example. Most of the larger cities in Europe are pretty well-equipped for the number of visitors they get.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018

You haven't been to Venice. It is worse than Disneyland on a busy day.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're right to do so. I know these awful cruisers can't get as close as they used to, but they're still monstrosities.

It is their one USP, so I am never a fan of biting the hand that feeds you
No, their USP is that it's a beautiful city that's actually above water level, and should remain so. It's not like tourism in Venice is going to drop off a cliff because of this.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

You have obviously never been on a cruise. Port stops are basically free money for the local economy.

Those who get off are usually eating, drinking, shopping, or going on an excursion.

The idea that a cruise stop would mean no spending locally is absurd.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
You literally didn't provide any proof... Secondly, you are not allowed to take food off the boat at least for canival cruises. Most people and crew members that don't book an excursion, go into the town and eat/try the local food.
You're arguing against a well established fact - here's just one of a hundreds of articles/studies about it https://www.uib.no/en/news/36477/cruise-tourists-spend-less. Google for plenty more

The demographics of cruise ship passengers are largely older people aiming to maximise their all-inclusive package. Money spent on the shore is often considered a 'waste' by them.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

--
look at this monstrosity

3000.jpg

fuck cruise tourists

This is not a thing. Cruise tourists spend money on the places they go to. Usually a lot. Shit man I was happy whenever one arrived it always meant getting some nice tips.

鬼作.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're arguing against a well established fact - here's just one of a hundreds of articles/studies about it https://www.uib.no/en/news/36477/cruise-tourists-spend-less. Google for plenty more

The demographics of cruise ship passengers are largely older people aiming to maximise their all-inclusive package. Money spent on the shore is often considered a 'waste' by them.
Yup. Have you guys never listened to the stories your older family members tell about their cruises? The only thing they buy on land is some small trinket / souvenir so they can at least pretend they've been in another country. They're spending fuck all in bars / restaurants because they paid good money for the "drinks included" -option when they booked the cruise. That's the entire point. Cruise ship passengers are the worst kind of tourist by far.