• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Great to hear! Sorry the CAQ messed up your original plans, Montreal didn't vote for those clowns. Saskatoon is cool, have family out there.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
One of my dearest friends has family that is struggling in Venezuela just like you were & seeing you finally escape that & start a better life makes me really hope that they'll one day be able to achieve the same! ;w; Congrats, super happy for you!!

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Man, followed this as well long ago. Can't wait to hear his great story. Dude should write a book.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember being a lurker on the other site and hearing Machado's tale was really something of a sad and desperate story.
Good to know things went well in the end.

L176

Jan 10, 2019
As someone researching immigration these kind of stories are always awesome to hear!

Congrats Machado!

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Sounds like Machado is gonna have one hell of a story to tell his grandchildren in the future.
De nuevo, qué bueno que hayas podido llegar a un país que te dé una nueva oportunidad. Todos los éxitos para ti y para tu familia!

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Wow, remember Machado and his story from the old board

Hell yeah

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
I'm so happy that Machado and his family made it! Congratulations from my wife and me.
For that I rise my Glas full of beer and wish you and your family all the luck in the world I'm your new country.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations, Machado!

It's always great to hear of good ending stories. Still remember that fable original thread.
Era (plus others) really came through this case.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Even having known a few of the updates to this saga already, reading the whole detailed story still made me tear up, not gonna lie.

I am so, so relieved and happy for you Machado. The CAQ's decision has been infuriating. I really wish you could have stayed in Québec, we would have loved to have you, but so long as you can build a new life for you and yours in Saskatoon, that's still wonderful. And, well, at one point I'm sure you'll be able to travel freely across Canada and can reside in Quebec like you always wanted, right? (I think? I don't really know how this stuff works...)

Bienvenue au Canada! And huge, huge thanks to Cilidra for his amazing work in helping this happen. You guys are the best.

Oct 27, 2017
Saskatoon sounds like a really great name for a town in an old western.

I love it.

Saskatchewan has a bunch of great place-names. Here are the top 10 biggest cities:
  • Saskatoon
  • Regina (pronounced vagina, but with an R)
  • Prince Albert
  • Moose Jaw
  • Lloydminster
  • Yorkton
  • Swift Current
  • North Battleford
  • Estevan
  • Warman
But the real interesting stuff are the small towns:
  • Flin Flon
  • Unity
  • Biggar
  • Climax
  • Foam Lake
  • Uranium City
  • Big Beaver
  • Eyebrow

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Congratulations Machado!

That's some bullshit you had to deal with. Glad to hear you were able to get through despite all the hurdles.

For all that and starting a new life and the challenges that represents I feel like we should get you a house warming gift or something. If you were in Ontario I'd want to buy you a beer for sure.

Welcome to Canada! Sorry about the shitty parts you've already encountered.

Staab

Oct 28, 2017
Super awesome!
Congrats to you and your family, Machado.
Your perseverance finally paid off!!
Real happy for you :)

Jardim

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 7, 2021
Not familiar with the story, but its so hearwarming to see. Congrats to him and his family, and also to everyone who helped him secure an opportunity for a better future. Probably the best thing I heard all year.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Congratulations Machado! A little while ago I was wondering how this process was going. I'm so happy that you and your family made it. :D

hoss

Oct 26, 2017
Madison, WI
Congrats, Machado! Such an inspiring story of perseverance and overcoming the odds. Your saga would make a great movie.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Congratulations! I remember your story from the old site, and had seen the updates here over the years. I was actually just wondering the other day if you and your family had already arrived.

I have a bunch of family that live in Saskatchewan, and I'd say that Saskatoon is definitely the nicest place to be in the province. It has almost everything you'd want from a huge city in Canada, in a much more manageable size. Lots of parks and greenery, especially by the river. And tons and tons of cool restaurants. Welcome to Canada!

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad it finally happened, there were times that I was legitimately afraid for his family's survival in that awful situation.

Congratulations to Machado and his family, take care of yourselves and enjoy your new life.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Saskatchewan has a bunch of great place-names. Here are the top 10 biggest cities:
  • Saskatoon
  • Regina (pronounced vagina, but with an R)
  • Prince Albert
  • Moose Jaw
  • Lloydminster
  • Yorkton
  • Swift Current
  • North Battleford
  • Estevan
  • Warman
But the real interesting stuff are the small towns:
  • Flin Flon
  • Unity
  • Biggar
  • Climax
  • Foam Lake
  • Uranium City
  • Big Beaver
  • Eyebrow

Lots of great hockey in there. Whereever you end up...make sure you side with that local team.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What a fucking update! Congrats to Machado!

Seaweed

alt account
Banned
May 27, 2021
wow Congrats! Welcome to Canada!!!! Wooooohoooo!!!!!

what a journey!

You had me in the first half. Saskatchewan tho....

Haha just kidding. Congrats!

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
I still remember that thread, and would wonder how things were going every so often. Your perseverance is downright inspiring. So happy that the stars finally aligned for you and your family, Machado. Wish you nothing but the best.

Congratulations!! =)

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of great hockey in there. Whereever you end up...make sure you side with that local team.

That would be the Saskatoon Blades, if Machado's heading there. (Could have, once upon a time, been the Saskatoon Blues). Gordie Howe's ashes are buried outside the arena there, so I ought to make a visit up there some day in the future.

Very glad you and your family were finally able to make it to Canada, though, Machado! I hope your new life up north is wonderful :)

Also, reminder to visit at least one Tim Horton's and Canadian Tire when you can. Timbits are wonderful and I will hear no such slander about them.

(Yes, Canadian friends, there's not a whole lot super special about either but when you've never been to one, it's just a unique experience.)

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Congrats Machado! Que bueno que todo al final haya resultado bien para ti y tu familia!

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I remember that thread. What a ride dude. Good luck in your new life!

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
We did it!! We are in Canada. After almost 6 years!

It goes without saying that I'm incredibly thankful. We were able to accomplish this because of everyone who helped us during these past 5 years and a half. I am incredibly honored to be part of a life-changing community that looks out for each other.

There were many who reached out to me on that thread and through a PM. I want thank every single one of you because that support kept me going and going when there was very little hope. Two of you guys in particular took it personally to go above and beyond my wildest imagination to help me, my wife and my son. One if them was Cilidra. Not only has he helped me with every single step on this plan but also has become my great friend and a example to follow.

Cilidra was the one who orchestrated this masterpiece of a plan. He contacted authorities, laid out the plan and helped me get the boost and confidence we needed to try again. He definitely has a superpower, just don't tell him I told you.

My first impression of Canada despite being locked in a hotel room has been nothing short of mind blowing. I was able to book my vaccine Online without showing any ruling party support ID, I have had no power outages, internet connection is stable, I have running water and I can drink it safely. This last part is still mind boggling to me
and even though Cilidra had mentioned it before it still blew my mind when I tried and liked it for the first time. I can access sites that were blocked in my country and this is just the tip of the iceberg I'm sure.

I'm sure you guys and gals have many questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them :)
De un Venezolano al otro, Felicitaciones!