• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. The Londis near Shepherd's Bush Market station in London

Would overcharge AND short change me every time I went in there. Absolute robbing bastards. Has since become a Nisa and I don't live there anymore so Vendetta is dormant but I do occasionally check up on them if I'm ever in that area.

2. A 'deli' opened by a minor celebrity chef in Acton, London (can't remember the name now).

I walked in there looking for cheese shortly after moving into a house round the corner. The owner scoffed at my request and suggested I try next door. Next door was a branch of Londis (not the one above, a different one). The only cheese they sell is shitty mass produced plastic cheddar. I was insulted both by the scoffing and the suggestion that I would buy that shit. In mitigation, the 'deli' was Indian themed and Indians ain't much on cheese (except paneer) but I didn't think it was an unreasonable request of somewhere that styled themselves as a 'deli' and certainly didn't deserve a mocking.

3. The sandwich shop 'Crocs' in Leicester city centre.

Steadfastly refused to waive their five pound limit on card transactions. My order never came to five pounds. Nearest cash machine was a five minute walk away.

STATUS: Out of business. I win. Though I feel a bit guilty about this one because the staff seemed nice beyond their payment policy.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a place near where i live called the Waffle Brothers. I hate them with a passion. I curse their name every time i walk by. Never actually eaten there or heard much about them. I just hate them so much.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I viciously loathe this stupid health food-y place called "Real Food, Real People." near my work's office. Are you fucking kidding me with that name? I've never seen a more smug and pretentious business name. The period at the end somehow crowns the whole thing for me and sends me into a fit of seething hatred every time I see the sign with several hipsters with $18 salad bowls in hand underneath.

It actually makes me want to go to MacDonald's and order the worst shit possible just to hate on them.

OP
OP
Geoff

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I viciously loathe this stupid health food-y place called "Real Food, Real People." near my work's office. Are you fucking kidding me with that name? I've never seen a more smug and pretentious business name. The period at the end somehow crowns the whole thing for me and sends me into a fit of seething hatred every time I see the sign with several hipsters with $18 salad bowls in hand underneath.

It actually makes me want to go to MacDonald's and order the worst shit possible just to hate on them.

There's a place near where i live called the Waffle Brothers. I hate them with a passion. I curse their name every time i walk by. Never actually eaten there or heard much about them. I just hate them so much.

giphy.gif

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
A local pub has incredibly trigger happy security who have thrown several of my friends out simply for "looking too drunk", despite being the soberest and nicest of the lot of us lmao

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Rewfrewshire Cabs.

I called them to pick me up from Glasgow at 3AM on a cold night. They took ages to arrive despite saying they had a cab already in Glasgow. I'm told to wait on Union street. The guy drives straight through Union street, to the next street, Jamaica Street. He waits for a maximum of ten seconds whilst I absolutely pelt it down the road to catch him, because I feel bad that he might have to wait. A random girl walks up to his cab, he takes her and drives away. He gets stopped at the lights and I just manage to catch up and punch the back of his vehicle.

I had to wait ages on another company getting me home.

If I ever find that guy on the road, I'm definitely pulling him over.

The company office (whom I emailed my complaint to) even had the balls to say that I took too long/driver did not think I was present. It was less than 10 seconds.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I own a painting company, and there is a local paint store (Benjamin Moore dealer) that constantly fucks up orders, can't match colours and charges twice what any other store in this city charges, but stupid architects who think they know what they are doing, keeping specifiying their products, and then get mad at me when the paint doesn't match the colour/sheen that they wanted. Well, use a better paint product sold by people who know something about paint.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
There was a local chicken place (the kind that serves you roast chicken, either chopped breast or a leg and thigh, over some rice) that ruined my night and my business with them.

I went in and ordered a "Regular" sized meal assuming that was the smaller size (they didn't have clear signage about this). When the guy rung it up, it cost way more than I expected. It turns out "Regular" was their Large, so I asked him if he could make it a Small. The guy lost his shit and yelled at me that he was going to have to "throw the entire thing out" (which seemed completely unnecessary...just remove some of it?) and tried to guilt trip me about wasting food. I told him a thing or two and walked out (flipping some magazine racks, of course) and never went to that place again. Sucks, because I really love that kind of food.

Oct 27, 2017
Closest deli to the Community I used to live in.

Manager and guy that work there are slightly incompetent. Always messing up orders. The food isn't very good even when they get the orders right.

Straw that broke the camel's back was the French Toast. Ordered some tasted it after I got home and the shit was sour. FRENCH TOAST IS SUPPOSED TO BE SWEET!

I shun them forever.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
If you are in the US, NEVER EVER order anything from a company named AUrate. It's a gold/jewelry company that's supposedly popular. I ordered my wife a Christmas gift in early December and it STILL HAS NOT ARRIVED a month later. I'm so fucking pissed at them.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Steadfastly refused to waive their five pound limit on card transactions. My order never came to five pounds. Nearest cash machine was a five minute walk away.

You do realise that when this is in place it's normally because the transaction fees are set up in such a way that they're taking a bigger hit the smaller the amount is?

OP
OP
Geoff

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You do realise that when this is in place it's normally because the transaction fees are set up in such a way that they're taking a bigger hit the smaller the amount is?

Meh. Doesn't seem to stop literally everywhere else. Better to take a bigger charge on a sale than no charge on no sale. Also cash has costs too.

Also, I would have been happy to pay a small fee to cover the costs which some businesses (used to) offer. But spending over a quid on shit I don't want just so I could buy a sandwich? nah

WillRobBanks

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Local bagel place. The owner is just unfriendly, they have absolutely no organized order taking system, waits are horrendous, and they messed up our orders like 3 times in a row. They aren't even amazing, it was just convenient in the same shopping center as my gym. Now I just drive across the street after the gym to the other, better bagel place with a friendly owner, fast service, and consistent quality.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
There's a farm "super" shop not too far from us.
Really good concept, good quality food a lot of it local, but set up like a supermarket, so you can do your weekly shop there. Basically right up my street and have spent a lot of money there.
There's a cafe in there as well..... went there on morning, took the kids. Middle one sometime liked baked beans, sometimes wasn't fussed (she was 4 at time IIRC). Ordered standard breakfast, but asked for the beans in a separate bowl, just incase she was on her "not fussed" day and the beans would have touched the sausage etc etc.... basically it wasn't worth the battle with her (eldest was 5, youngest 2.... it was a busy time!).

Person taking the order (you had to go up to the counter to order) was fine about it, but then owner overheard and refused. Had a 10 minute slagging match with him, he was coming up with the most bizarre reasons (the cost of washing up an extra bowl, the fact he'd have to tell the chef - it was an open kitchen and all the staff had stopped what they were doing by this point and were watching). He would not give in. Annoyingly I still had to order, cos kids were hungry and I'd promised them breakfast out, so I had to back down in the end and just have no beans.

Never been back since. Left shit reviews on all sites I can.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
There's a place called Over Easy in my neighborhood. They charge an ungodly amount for shit. $8 for two eggs? Wtf is that? everything is too expensive and yet somehow it manages to pull a crowd of suckers.

Oct 28, 2017
Worked 2 weeks in a sandwich shop in Dundee. Had a shift change made by the owner without discussing it, so I didn't turn up to work when he expected me to. He disputed he'd made a change to the rota, and I brought out photos I'd taken on my phone showing him the rota whiteboard saying I wasn't meant to be in, and he fired me on the spot, and refused to pay me for those 2 weeks.

Shop went bust a few months later. Fuck that guy. Typical roidhead that skips leg days.

OP
OP
Geoff

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just remembered another one. Another deli. This time in my new home in a vaguely touristic country town. On one of the most picturesque streets lurks a deli selling cheese, meats, wines, olives, local ales etc. Basically right up my street. Except there are no prices on anything and when they ring it up the bill is always ludicrously expensive. And the owner is a grumpy dickhead.

Really annoys me because I would love to patronise a shop just like that one but fuck them.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do my best to avoid giving money to all of the gentrifying businesses with ultra sterile architecture and a de facto all white hipster clientele in my city.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
5 Dollar...
5 Dollar FOOD POISONING!

That subway location was soon shut down afterwards

Once had a copper colored coil of steel wool embedded into a piece of battered & fried chicken at a KFC...that location is gone and is now a bank

But the worst in my area is my local post office! This place is ALWAYS slow, ALWAYS under serviced, and everyone is always miserable and complaining. I try to have as much delivered to the Amazon locker as possible because I consider that pink USPS "sorry we missed you" pick up slip an act of aggression these days. Just recently, after a delivery attempted notification, I went downstairs and intercepted a postal worker with a handful of slips just doling them out into people's mailboxes without even an attempt to deliver anything...he then went to his truck to give me my package.

Dishonorable mention to many Home Depots and never having the panel cutting machine operator around when needed

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Meh. Doesn't seem to stop literally everywhere else. Better to take a bigger charge on a sale than no charge on no sale. Also cash has costs too.

It's less common in places where the expectation is that most transactions will be over the limit. It's also dependent on what service they use to do the transactions. It's very rarely arbitrary, though, because doing it arbitrarily doesn't make sense - card payments are generally better for the vendor in most ways.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got too confused with this one Indian restaurant and stopped going. I went a few times and would go in to order take out, and every single time they'd always say something I didn't understand and point at the buffet, and I'd pick up the menu and ask if I could please order something from the menu. Then they'd go in the back to ask permission if I could order from the menu or something, and then come out and ask me what I'd like.

The first couple times went ok, but the last time I ordered chana masala and they served me chickpeas in lukewarm water with a little bit of cilantro sprinkled on top. It was the most pathetic thing I've ever received from a restaurant.

I just don't understand if you don't want people ordering from a menu, then why even have a menu? I gave up trying with that place after that.

OP
OP
Geoff

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's less common in places where the expectation is that most transactions will be over the limit. It's also dependent on what service they use to do the transactions. It's very rarely arbitrary, though, because doing it arbitrarily doesn't make sense - card payments are generally better for the vendor in most ways.

Hence why they are now out of business

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
There's this pawn shop about an hour from my university that listed an eMac on Craigslist. I called, said I wanted it, and then over the weekend my roommate kindly drove me over.

We finally find the stupid place, walk in, I say "I called about the eMac?" "Ah, that sold an hour ago." Fucking excuse me?? Why are you advertising on Craigslist then, if you're just selling shit?? They left the listing up, too, for at least a month. They probably still have it up, because they're scum who spam Craigslist with a ton of "listings" to advertise their stupid store. Fuck those guys.

Dec 24, 2017
There was a now defunct store in Chicago called Treasure Island. They thought I was shoplifting and physically barred me from leaving and demanded to search my bags. Being a 1L, I was full of myself and told them to fuck off because, they couldn't search my bags, because they had no right to, and that they weren't allowed to detain me as they aren't a state entity.

This resulted in the store manager grabbing me and me getting into a scuffle with him and two employees. The cops were called and said that I was right, technically. And the cops searched my bags and found, the groceries that I had paid for based on my receipt. And in a moment of extreme pettiness I pressed charges against the manager and the two employees.

I should have only pressed charges against the manager, the employees didn't know better.

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It's 2020 y'all. Put that energy elsewhere.

Can't stand White Castle. Overrated soggy tasteless garbage. Constantly wet and cold. So slow to serve.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
HEROES comics in London.

I once bought the Walking Dead Compendium vol 1 and 2 from them for retail price for a Christmas gift, after about 20 minutes I had checked amazon.ca and noticed they had both volumes at half off, essentially 2-for-1.

So I returned to the store, knowing they wouldn't match the 50% off, asking if they'd at least meet me half way and give back the taxes and maybe an extra 10 bucks (so about 25% off).

The clerk got extremely defensive and said "NO. You're supporting child labor when you buy from amazon".

I said, well, then I'd like to return the books, and he then responded with "We don't do refunds on books".

Keeping in mind this is a comic shop, and they have no posted signs stating that they don't offer refunds on books, I point it out and asked where this policy is posted.

He then ripped the bag from my hands and said "You've clearly read these, I can't give you a refund."

I said "You sold these to me 20 minutes ago, how could I read two 400 page volumes?"

He then said "Well we don't give refunds, but whatever, I don't wanna see your fuckin' face in here again, go kill some more stores by shopping online."

He threw the $80 at me and I haven't stepped foot inside the store since, as even though they had some cool stuff, there's no way in hell I'm supporting a store that has that kind of attitude towards staying competitive/maintaining what was a repeat customer (I'd bought a ton from them in the past, too)... This was about 6 years ago.

And truth be told, chances are high he went right onto amazon and bought the same books on discount to re-sell in the store at full MSRP.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geoff

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was a now defunct store in Chicago called Treasure Island. They thought I was shoplifting and physically barred me from leaving and demanded to search my bags. Being a 1L, I was full of myself and told them to fuck off because, they couldn't search my bags, because they had no right to, and that they weren't allowed to detain me as they aren't a state entity.

This resulted in the store manager grabbing me and me getting into a scuffle with him and two employees. The cops were called and said that I was right, technically. And the cops searched my bags and found, the groceries that I had paid for based on my receipt. And in a moment of extreme pettiness I pressed charges against the manager and the two employees.

I should have only pressed charges against the manager, the employees didn't know better.

Excellent story. The best thing about being treated unfairly by businesses is the righteous feeling of being wronged. It's shit if someone accuses you of stealing but it feels so good to know that you are 100% in the right and they are 100% wrong and you can prove it.

Oct 27, 2017
H Samuel (jewellers). Had my wifes engagement ring resized (shrunk) and they had it for weeks and then did a horrible, horrible job. It was all wonky and uneven. The store manager was belligerent, unhelpful and lied to my face about how they had carried out the resize, claiming to have used techniques that weren't physically possible with the type of ring it was.

Never shopped there again and that was 10 years ago. The cunts.

Deleted member 25140

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The wetherspoons in town.

Overcharged me ÂŁ3, when I asked for it back the staff member said there was no way to give it back without messing up the till so I'd just have to lose the money, I asked to see a manager and was told there wasn't one on site (which I find very hard to believe) so I just wrote a complaint and got it back that way.

Went there again a few months later and my boyfriend ordered a mixed grill with an extra egg and when the same girl who took the order brought it over she placed it down and said 'I forgot to order the egg so you haven't got it sorry' and walked straight off. I went up to complain that he actually did in fact want it. When he cut into his food the underside of every single piece of meat was burnt af but had been flipped over to try and hide it. I took the food up to the bar to ask for it to be remade and was told 'it's a wetherspoons you can't expect anything fancy'. Well I know that but I also don't expect burnt food. I wrote another complaint and was offered a free meal and drinks in that same spoons which we never used.

Hated one of my neighbours with a passion. Went to school with him where he bullied pretty much everyone. He than became a total show-off who ran a bar and a tattoo shop. In a matter of a few months he managed to plough through my garden with his stupid oversized truck twice. Told everyone I know to not do business with him because I'm a petty bitch. Then a few months ago I wake up to the sound of about 10 police cars going down the road and stopping at his place. Turns out both his "businesses" were just fronts for the local chapter of the Hells Angels. They arrested him that day and he immediately started squealing.

As of now he's in prison, has lost everything and the Angels want him dead.

Oct 27, 2017
There's a place called Over Easy in my neighborhood. They charge an ungodly amount for shit. $8 for two eggs? Wtf is that? everything is too expensive and yet somehow it manages to pull a crowd of suckers.

We have Patty's Eggnest here that's expensive like that. How they can charge as much as they do and are popular is baffling.
It's more regional than local but Les Schwab Tires fucking sucks and I refuse to go there. The times I have gone there they lied about my car needing different things. My ex-wife had a nail in a tire and they told her it couldn't be fixed and she had to replace all four tires for like $1100. She got the tire fixed for free at a Discount Tires. They present themselves as a "Christian" company and are closed on Sundays.

OP
OP
Geoff

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hated one of my neighbours with a passion. Went to school with him where he bullied pretty much everyone. He than became a total show-off who ran a bar and a tattoo shop. In a matter of a few months he managed to plough through my garden with his stupid oversized truck twice. Told everyone I know to not do business with him because I'm a petty bitch. Then a few months ago I wake up to the sound of about 10 police cars going down the road and stopping at his place. Turns out both his "businesses" were just fronts for the local chapter of the Hells Angels. They arrested him that day and he immediately started squealing.

As of now he's in prison, has lost everything and the Angels want him dead.

I'm calling that a win

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nothing currently, but some 10-15 years ago, the cashier at a convenience store called me a fag for absolutely no reason at all.

Didn't go back until they were bought out by a different company/rebranded

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
There's a burger place near me that I used to go to up until about a year ago when they tweeted #MAGA on their business twitter account. It's still up too. Instantly made me want to stop going there and I haven't been back since.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live on a street that has like 20-30 small businesses on it, and several places are owned by Trump supporters, so naturally I boycott those places and spread the word not to go there.

There's also one place near me where the owner is a Bolsonaro supporter(has bumper sticker on their truck). Fucking gross.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Using OP's format:

1. Order huge amount of fried chicken from famous joint in North east Seattle which I won't name here because I don't think being vindictive is healthy. This is a picnic - on a boat rented for that purpose for our friends, family and kids. I am in charge of feeding them. I have made plenty of time, called the order in ahead, brought cash, arrived a little early, you name it, I took care of it. All so I could hop on board and get us onto the water for the day. I am gonna be SUCH a hero.
2. Arrive and announce I called in that big order. "Almost ready now sir, just bagging it up!"
3. Door Dash or whatever delivery company shows up. Speaks to cashier.
4. They start literally unpacking my order and redistributing most of it into now grinning Door Dash guy's bags.
5. I watch for a few seconds to make sure I understand what I'm seeing.
6. "Wait are you giving this guy my order?!"
7. "Um....uh.. ...well... he's... it's.... he's a … regular...and uh...we can start you a new one now..."
8. I then wait 45 minutes while they cook a giant new batch and arrive at picnic almost an hour late to crying kids, stalled boat, angry adults stuck in smelly and noisy dock.

The Chicken place was the "relaunch" of a Seattle fave (Oprah allegedly has it shipped to her) "formerly" called Ezell's after a messy business divorce, when the actual Ezell lost the franchise name, locations and recipe rights to his former business partners -- who continue to thrive -- and reinvented his recipe and store as "Heaven Sent" complete with quite annoying and borderline illiterate Jesus propaganda in a previously secular chicken fantasy. I know I said I wouldn't name them because vendettas are unhealthy, but hey, so is fried chicken.

Status: LOSE/LOSE -FOR ME-- PERMANENT WIN FOR EZELL STEPHENS I had my day ruined, he continues to pay credulous staffers (I unfairly assume) minimum wage and sell chicken.

Last edited:

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
There's a place in Vancouver called 'Pet Shop Boys' that proudly advertises an in-house psychic for your pets.

Oh, and pet reiki too. Can't forget that

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
there's a thai place near my girlfirends office that i refuse to go to.

they brought over my food one day, i asked if i could have some chop sticks, they said yes, then proceeded to walk across the room, sit down and stare at me. after a few minutes of waiting i just started eating w/ a fork. they didn't come back over until we were both done and they brought over the check.

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Local ice cream van/supplier company's run by family of the local Tory MP, which means when he got done for modern slavery the cops & courts accepted his plea of "oh woe is me I'm old and probably have dementia or something" and just gave him a slavery & trafficking risk order and told him to have his wife run things instead. They then declared a job well done and didn't follow up on how blatantly he was breaking the order, because, uh, reasons.

You're ever in Bristol, fuck Lopresti.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There's a small halal restaurant across the street from my old capoeira gym. Me, Mestre and his family went there after class one day. One of the dudes behind the counter- we'll call him Tucker- was wildin'.

Strike 1: My company was speaking to each other in Portuguese. Tucker decided the best way to broach them was to speak condescendingly in low-level Spanish. He continued this until the teacher ordered in English.

Strike 2: It's my turn to order. Now, I've never been to a halal place. Don't know what to really order. I politely ask, "Excuse me, what's in the white sauce?" Because I hate mayonnaise by itself. Tucker had a fit with me and said "No, I'm not answering that. We're on this. Do you want chicken or beef?" Alright Tucker.

Strike 3: As we're eating, Mestre's wife begins lamenting the treatment we all got at the counter. Mestre decides to do say something and calls over the manager. My teacher asks for Tucker's name, and says "I think Tucker is having a bad day, because he's not been treating the customers right." Tucker sees this and decides- in all of Tucker's wisdom- to come over and start another fight, loudly asking "What's the problem?!"

I'm thinking to myself: "This dude must be a Viking because even the child has a few belts. All four of us about to move furniture."

Ultimately no one got killed. The manager took him in the back and had it out with him. We got an apology and comped food.

But you know Tucker has done that shit before. Why he was there to begin with is beyond me. Fuck Tucker.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I own a painting company, and there is a local paint store (Benjamin Moore dealer) that constantly fucks up orders, can't match colours and charges twice what any other store in this city charges, but stupid architects who think they know what they are doing, keeping specifiying their products, and then get mad at me when the paint doesn't match the colour/sheen that they wanted. Well, use a better paint product sold by people who know something about paint.
Architects are a whiny bunch as it is.

I love architecture but architects are so pretentious

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Also, I would have been happy to pay a small fee to cover the costs which some businesses (used to) offer. But spending over a quid on shit I don't want just so I could buy a sandwich? nah
Lol, why don't you just carry a few pounds in case things like this happen?

OP
OP
Geoff

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, why don't you just carry a few pounds in case things like this happen?

In my life the only time I ever need cash is at this one sandwich shop and the local market. And even at the market which is mostly farmers selling cider and carrots and stuff, most of them take card/phone payments.