• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, I do not think I will participate much in OT vegan/vegetarian threads any more.

One of the bloggers I follow has a pretzel bun recipe I want to try so I no longer have to buy the premade ones.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I do not think I will participate much in OT vegan/vegetarian threads any more.

Agreed. It's so damn hostile to vegans or vegetarians. I will never understand that hostility.

Oh, and I have a question for y'all. I got a vitamix for Christmas and I want to break it in by using it to make something new for the wife (we're both vegan). Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I keep forgetting this thread exists! Time to bookmark it.

Anyway, for the most part my wife and I didn't have a very interesting Christmas, food-wise. We had Tofurkey one night, Gardein roast another, and, one weird night, falafel/hummus and pita. However, on New Year's Day, for dinner with my family, my wife made a chickpea phyllo that was amazing. We added a bunch of turkey spices (sage, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper), mashed it all together in a pan, and then wrapped it in the pastry. It was delicious!

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
I made some of this chorizo crumble seitan last night, so simple and so tasty! Stuck it in a pitta bread with a bit of chilli garlic sauce and it was gone in seconds. Highly recommended, probably the easiest seitan recipe I've tried to so far.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, and I have a question for y'all. I got a vitamix for Christmas and I want to break it in by using it to make something new for the wife (we're both vegan). Any suggestions?
If you've got something like cheesecloth, or a very fine strainer, you could try making your own nut milks. This one is probably my favorite recipe for a fancy plant-based milk.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Also,frozen babana pieces, some kind of plant based (whipped) cream + something you want it to taste like (raw cocoa powder, strawberries, blueberries or whatever) = delicious milkshake/ice cream. You can add some lentils if you want it to be even more nutritious/more protein.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely late to the party on this one, but I just baked some cookies using chickpea brine... Holy shit, it's impossible to tell the difference!

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely late to the party on this one, but I just baked some cookies using chickpea brine... Holy shit, it's impossible to tell the difference!
Is that just to replace egg in the recipe? I've never used it but usually use ground flax seed and water or egg replacer and water and no one has ever mentioned my cookies tasting different lol

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that just to replace egg in the recipe? I've never used it but usually use ground flax seed and water or egg replacer and water and no one has ever mentioned my cookies tasting different lol

Yeah it's just used as a binder like eggs. I haven't tried it with something like a cake yet, but my meringues infused with chickpea slime turned out great lol

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Aquafaba is the only thing to make proper vegan sponge cake. In a lot of other baking eggs are often completely meaningless or can be replaced with other things as well with a result as good as aquafaba. But aquafaba makes the spongiest sponge cakes

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I found out recently that Converse shoes use glues that may be of animal origin. That's frustrating because Converse are often a go-to casual shoe for me. I've bought some Converse knockoff designs of higher quality before, but they don't talk about the ingredient sourcing, either. And the problem with most vegan shoe companies is that they just have pretty bad designs. Outdated, or cheap materials, or just really not good designs at all. Like just give me some high quality, vegan Chuck Taylor knockoffs! But no one seems to do it.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
In the hostpital next week.
Our (gov) hospitals are famous for bad food, not just for vegan/vegetarian options.
I called and asked, apparently it's "no problem" and I should just ask for a nutritionist at check-in. This won't end well :D

I am in the hospital for cardial treatment and I am more scared of bad and non-vegan food options. That's weird...

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I found out recently that Converse shoes use glues that may be of animal origin. That's frustrating because Converse are often a go-to casual shoe for me. I've bought some Converse knockoff designs of higher quality before, but they don't talk about the ingredient sourcing, either. And the problem with most vegan shoe companies is that they just have pretty bad designs. Outdated, or cheap materials, or just really not good designs at all. Like just give me some high quality, vegan Chuck Taylor knockoffs! But no one seems to do it.
In the UK (at least) they've confirmed they've stopped using animal glue for at least a year. I'll try and dig up sources when I'm back from work. (I switched to Macbeths and then Vans but my next shall be Converse)

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone in the UK tried the new Wicked Kitchen range from Tesco? So far I've tried the Veggie Pasta with Amazeballs which I wasn't too impressed with (a bit bland and the amazeballs were too dry for my liking), but the Caponata Sourdough Pizza was delicious, and I just grabbed a Sweet Potato Pakora Wrap for my lunch which was very tasty too.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I had the Caponata pizza; delicious but I'd of more sold it as a focaccia, been on the hunt for the mushroom one for a while but my local Tesco is constantly out of stock (annoying but awesome the demand is there). Annoying my Tesco Extra hasn't had the sandwiches/lunch items in either.

Lirlond

Oct 26, 2017

Animal glue is where I draw the line tbh, there are lots of not leather shoes that use animal derived glue, and the diminishing returns aren't worth paying 10x the price for a pair of casual shoes for example.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I searched on Facebook and there are a few posts with screencaps from Converse messages saying they're no long glue too.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Probably late to he party but...

Beyond beef burgers.
OMG

Now granted I have not had real beef burgers for 10 odd years. But this taste like the real deal. Taste, texture, look.
Just a little pricey. But we are sure to have them again as a treat every now and then.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
They are pretty nice! My boyfriend grilled me two (normally I pan fry them) and they were really good.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for them to be available over here, I already have a great place to get burgers (Sgaia) but I'm really keen to try these

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Speaking of burgers, if you guys ever happen to visit New Zealand and go through Whakatane, get a burger from that restaurant called The Wagon. Best vegan burger I've ever had.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I am pretty happy about the vegan burger situation in my town. I got healthy burgers and big unhealthy ones to choose from - all of them fantastic. :) Plus a palce that has nuggets now which taste like the "real thing"... which was kinda a turn-off first, but then they started to taste less like real chicken and it grew on me. Pretty expensive tho... so only have them every few weeks or so.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty happy about the vegan burger situation in my town. I got healthy burgers and big unhealthy ones to choose from - all of them fantastic. :) Plus a palce that has nuggets now which taste like the "real thing"... which was kinda a turn-off first, but then they started to taste less like real chicken and it grew on me. Pretty expensive tho... so only have them every few weeks or so.

what's in it?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
So I have to start small and flexible because I'm dirt poor and don't want to start a business tens of thousands in debt, so I've come up with a kind food delivery service. The idea is to have a changing meal every day, delivered to home or work, with salad and freshly baked bread + possible pastries. The "menu" I currently have is like so:

1) Lasagne
2) macaroni casserole + my own tomato sauce
3) carrot soup w/ red curry paste
4) liverless casserole + lingonberry jam (liver casserole is a pretty popular thing in nordic countries and there's a vegan version of it that is surprisingly close to it, this could become a popular dish here)
5) Seitan hamburger day
6) Fried rice + veggies
7) Coconut cream curry sauce with seitan + rice
8) Soy-sausage soup
9) Seitan ham, mashed potatoes and till-garlic sauce
10) Falafel hamburger day
11) Tomato-chili kidney bean sauce + couscous
12) Fried pulled oat, mashed potatoes and mushed lingonberry
13) Borsch soup
14) Nut steaks, some kind of sauce I haven't decided yet + couscous
15) Tortilla day
16) Soy-meat pot and a slightly more special mashed potatoes thing
17) Falafel, tzatziki, sundried tomato hummus and rice
18) Rice casserole + lingonberry
19) Peasoup
20) Taco boat day
21) Bonus Day #1***
22) Bonus day #2***
23) Bonus Day #3***

Nothing super fancy, but delicious basic food that isn't available in many places. I currently have "hamburger days" but if the demand is there I might make it so that they can be ordered any day of the week.

*** currently I plan to have a 4-week/1 month cycle so that leaves me with 1-3 extra days monthly and I'll probably use those for experimental stuff that isn't in the regular schedule. Or if there is a super popular dish then I might make it more than once a month.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So I have to start small and flexible because I'm dirt poor and don't want to start a business tens of thousands in debt, so I've come up with a kind food delivery service. The idea is to have a changing meal every day, delivered to home or work, with salad and freshly baked bread + possible pastries. The "menu" I currently have is like so:

Nothing super fancy, but delicious basic food that isn't available in many places. I currently have "hamburger days" but if the demand is there I might make it so that they can be ordered any day of the week.

*** currently I plan to have a 4-week/1 month cycle so that leaves me with 1-3 extra days monthly and I'll probably use those for experimental stuff that isn't in the regular schedule. Or if there is a super popular dish then I might make it more than once a month.
Sounds interesting, so do you have a full business plan yet? or is that process ongoing?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds interesting, so do you have a full business plan yet? or is that process ongoing?
Yeah, that's about done. Need to double check some numbers but that part is about done. I've also almost done the (direct translation:) "self monitoring plan" that one has to do when setting up anything related to food. It's a detailed plan of everything related to operating the food business, focused on hygiene and handling everything. Basically how I plan to do every part of the process from when I leave the place where I buy the ingredients to cooking the food to storing stuff and how I'll handle the clean up. Super detailed. Super boring to do... >_>

Now I mostly need to get a few essentials (iZettle card reader and receipt machine, a couple of big kettles, fridge) so that I can start operating, + I need to figure out some kind of website that allows handling online orders in a way that makes things as easy as possible for me.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Wishing you the best with your business Famassu.

The Food Lion near me started selling the pre-drained Nasoya tofu, which is super helpful since I do not like draining and pressing it myself.

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Famassu A couple of years ago I went to Mexico City for work, and I was delighted to discover they had a vegan bike delivery service (these guys). Their food was delicious -- I ended up having it every day for lunch. If you have questions about logistics and you don't mind the language barrier, you should see if they can offer any tips!

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Famassu A couple of years ago I went to Mexico City for work, and I was delighted to discover they had a vegan bike delivery service (these guys). Their food was delicious -- I ended up having it every day for lunch. If you have questions about logistics and you don't mind the language barrier, you should see if they can offer any tips!
Thanks. Will have to think if there are some questions I could ask them.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Major health success!

I've always had high cholesterol, and started taking cholesterol medication when I was 16. Even after 6-7 years of being vegan, my (non-fasted) cholesterol was still at 254, with an LDL of 189, and triglycerides of 346. Last year, I decided to get more serious about my health, and started following a whole-foods plant based diet, largely following the advice of Dr. Michael Greger, as well as looking into things like the Portfolio Diet. After a short adjustment period, I found it surprisingly easy to follow the diet, and as an added benefit, I started losing a lot of weight without counting calories, or ever feeling hungry. In about 8 months, my weight dropped from 220 lbs to 178, my blood pressure has dropped from 116/68 to 102/64, my heart rate from 70 to 56, and my resting heart rate is now in the 40s, though I don't have a measurement from before for that.

Most importantly, I just got a lipid panel test, and my total cholesterol is now 89! And my HDL is higher than my LDL, with triglycerides at 59, all non-fasted. I never thought it was possible for me to have cholesterol that low. And I feel great! I've recently started running again, and I'm starting to do some strength training as well. I'm in my 30s, but I feel better than ever!

Deleted member 11113

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Major health success!

I've always had high cholesterol, and started taking cholesterol medication when I was 16. Even after 6-7 years of being vegan, my (non-fasted) cholesterol was still at 254, with an LDL of 189, and triglycerides of 346. Last year, I decided to get more serious about my health, and started following a whole-foods plant based diet, largely following the advice of Dr. Michael Greger, as well as looking into things like the Portfolio Diet. After a short adjustment period, I found it surprisingly easy to follow the diet, and as an added benefit, I started losing a lot of weight without counting calories, or ever feeling hungry. In about 8 months, my weight dropped from 220 lbs to 178, my blood pressure has dropped from 116/68 to 102/64, my heart rate from 70 to 56, and my resting heart rate is now in the 40s, though I don't have a measurement from before for that.

Most importantly, I just got a lipid panel test, and my total cholesterol is now 89! And my HDL is higher than my LDL, with triglycerides at 59, all non-fasted. I never thought it was possible for me to have cholesterol that low. And I feel great! I've recently started running again, and I'm starting to do some strength training as well. I'm in my 30s, but I feel better than ever!
That's awesome, congrats! I'm trying to eat better as well, but I still have a ways to go. Do you have any good healthy recipes to share?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Major health success!

What's the general gist of the changes you made? Did you just not eat healthily or were you eating healthy but still had high cholesterol?

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome, congrats! I'm trying to eat better as well, but I still have a ways to go. Do you have any good healthy recipes to share?
Lately, I haven't really been following recipes, just throwing together meals usually consisting of beans, whole grains, leafy greens, and other veggies, depending on what produce I get from either Imperfect Produce or my CSA that week. I've been trying to do more meal prep, so these are approximations for what a single serving would look like.

Every morning, I have overnight oats for breakfast, here's an example of what I might do for that:
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup frozen berries
1/2 T amla powder (Started adding this after watching this video)
1/4 cup nuts, typically walnuts, though I might omit this and just snack on nuts, or have them as part of another meal
2 T ground flaxseeds (ground from whole flaxseeds to avoid rancid flaxseeds)
~3/4 cup of soymilk
And whatever spices are appropriate for what I'm going for. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and vanilla extract are common. I'll sometimes add chopped dates or date syrup to sweeten it a bit.

The lunches I meal prepped this week were:
1 cup cooked chopped kale
1 cup farro
1.5 cup pinto beans
1 cup broccoli
1/4 of a chopped, peeled lemon
Some dijon mustard, and nutritional yeast

And dinner was:
1 cup quinoa
1 cup edamame
1 cup corn
1/2 sweet potato, chopped
1/2 roma tomato
Some curry powder

I also snack on fruit and veggies during the day.

What's the general gist of the changes you made? Did you just not eat healthily or were you eating healthy but still had high cholesterol?
Cutting out oil and refined sugars were probably the biggest changes. I thought I was eating pretty healthy before. I ate a decent amount of fruit and vegetables, including eating leafy greens pretty frequently, but cutting out processed food, and increasing my fiber to around 80g a day were the most significant changes.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Major health success!

Fantastic, congrats!

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Congrats Devin :) My Mum is also fighting high cholesterol and while she really tries she can't get it down even with a lot of plant and whole food. I guess sometimes you also just can't fight predisposition.
I have two colleagues with high cholesterol and I suggested them to try a plant based diet with more wholefood for a few months. They quickly neglected and made fun of me because lol plants.
They prefer taking pills. So that's that.

Speaking of colleagues, I have one dude who is pretty knowledgeable about food and production. I considered him to be reasonable even if he is avowing meat-eater. But he started to tease me a lot with palm-oil and soy arguments.
I keep ignoring it because I know he knows better. I don't want to get into this discussion with him - we both know how this stuff works so why even bother. It's just to make me angry clearly.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
But he started to tease me a lot with palm-oil and soy arguments.
I keep ignoring it because I know he knows better. I don't want to get into this discussion with him - we both know how this stuff works so why even bother. It's just to make me angry clearly.

I'm not really sure what the arguments are? Health? Environmental? Many companies actually are apart of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil and use Certified Sustainable Palm Oil (CSPO) and if they don't then a high chance their competitors are. They usually like to list it on their websites, and if unsure can always contact a company to ask.

As for soy the majority of it is is used for feed for farm animals, and the remaining is put in a multitude of other products. So even if someone thinks they're avoiding it for whatever reason through looking at the ingredients of whatever products, they're likely to be having it indirectly as the farm animals they ate likely had it.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Yeah there is no argument. It's just a teasing thing - it was "At least it's butter and not dirty palm oil"
We have a big organic brand here in the supermarkets and now they say they are 100% palm oil free. Big posters and signs on the street to promote it, with all the "jungle animals" drawn and whatnot. I just chuckle at things like this, like NOW people start to care about this because all vegans eat is palm oil apparently.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Umm... butter and dairy products in general are far worse for the environment than palm oil. I don't understand how anyone who likes to think of himself as knowledgeable would make such an argument.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Umm... butter and dairy products in general are far worse for the environment than palm oil. I don't understand how anyone who likes to think of himself as knowledgeable would make such an argument.
Yup. But I don't argue with him since he is very articulate and I am not. People eat his words. I also get the feeling he is spouting this nonsense just to make me look bad in front of other people.

Another story: My partner is celebrating her 40th birthday and we are going to a vegan restaurant, we talked about the menu already so that there is "comfort food everyone likes" plus a la carte like sandwiches, wraps, burgers, salads.... But we already got some sad comments about it. It's HER birthday and if you do not want to come because you can't give up ONE MEAT-LESS DISH for the day it's really sad - tells you something about that person.

Anyway... sorry, I always come here because I need to vent, I feel like it's not good for this thread :)

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I mean all the "almond milk will destroy the environment" people are always lurking about so I am not too surprised.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I'm looking for high calorie dishes without pasta. Any suggestions? Most vegan dishes seem to be loads of veggies. I'm not a big eater and it's hard for me to imagine going vegan without eating large quantities of low calorie foods. I'm soy intolerant so that's out.

Last edited:

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017

I prefer brown rice and quinoa is much more expensive. Then again I'm not a big fan of rice.

Problem with most vegan foods on that list is that either they don't taste good to me and the ones I do like (nuts, dark chocolate) are too expensive to fulfil more than 10% of my daily calorie intake.

I get a lot of my calorie intake from milk (1 liter a day). I'd love to know if there's an alternative (also in liquid form) that's not much more expensive (so not almond milk).

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Add nuts and seeds to stuff. Avocados also have a relatively high amount of calories. If you don't like to eat em as is or even marinated, you can always use a blender or such and throw some among smoothies or make some bread spread with a stick blender with avocados, chickpeas and spices/tasty things of your liking, both of which are good ways to hide the taste/texture of avocado while reaping the benefits of its healthiness.

I'm looking for high calorie dishes without pasta. Any suggestions? Most vegan dishes seem to be loads of veggies. I'm not a big eater and it's hard for me to imagine going vegan without eating large quantities of low calorie foods. I'm soy intolerant so that's out.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
1. Well if most meals don't taste good to you I suggest you switch out your rotation.
2. A huge bag of quinoa is not that expensive at Costco.
3. Why are you concerned about calorie intake? Are you already very underweight? if not your body will self regulate to a large degree and tell you how much it wants and needs to eat. Works especially well if you are not hocked on sugars and processed foods.