• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Everytime I try and add other flours to my seitan it ends up supper dry and we just don't like it as much... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Make a more moist dough or cover it in marinade if you want to bake it in the oven. Or make a big lump/tube, cut it into steak-thick pieces and boil it in 1,5 liters of (not too strong) broth.

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
For Americans

vegnews.com

Impossible Burgers Launch at Target Nationwide

The plant-based meat is becoming increasingly more accessible and is now available at Walmart, Kroger, Trader Joe’s, Target, and more.

vegnews.com

Vegan JUST Egg Expands Retail Footprint to 17,000 Stores

The mung bean-based egg replacer—which has sold the vegan equivalent of 50 million chicken eggs to date—is coming to new cities and stores across the country.

I still want to try that JUST egg stuff. Germany expansion please.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm pretty annoyed. We have a pizza / pasta place near us that is normally pretty good and has a full vegan menu available so being Father Day (in Australia) I thought I might get my self a vegan pizza. I decided to go with something pretty different than my usual spicy pizza and got a spaghetti bolognese pizza.

It arrived with normal cheese and with meat on it. My wife's pasta was pretty much a soup and the wedges we're made with what I'm pretty sure is old potatoes.

We called them up, said it's an issue with Uber Eats. Doesn't come through as vegan they said. They apologised and have sent a replacement but it's odd they know about the issue and haven't done anything about it. I also can't see a non-vegan version of this pizza on their menu.

The replacement pizza is pretty damn average too. I think next time I'll stick with ordering curry.
I've got a non-vegan friend coming to pick up the pizza so it doesn't go to waste too.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Going back to the Oatly thing (I've been away for a week so just catching up) I just feel like vegan/plant based companies/products can't win. Vegans want them to be mass produced and widely available, but that's not likely to happen without outside investment. I fully support small local vegan companies but they seem to pop up then die out quite regularly because they get a huge amount of interest at first but then people stop buying because they have to go to specific small shops where they can't do the rest of their shopping, or they can only afford it as a "treat" because small batch artisan products cost more.

So then on one hand I see vegans protesting outside investment companies and starting petitions etc asking for more investment in vegan products,
then at the same time I see vegans boycotting Oatly for taking investment... From the very limited research I've done into it, it seems that while the investor has done some bad stuff (which I think probably most have tbh), they have relatively small stake so aren't likely to be influencing the company too much, so on balance I think I'm ok with this sort of thing if it's bringing products to a wider audience.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Oatly seems to have been successful enough to be able to spread into multiple markets without investors like these (seems to be available in at least 15 countries from Hong Kong to US). Don't really see why they needed to accept dirty money if that's the case.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I am very excited to try them. Gardein's meatballs are one of the few items of theirs I am not too fond of and I really enjoy the Beyond product line.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
www.businesswire.com

Impossible Foods’ Growth Accelerates as Flagship Product Rolls Out in More Than 11,000 Stores in All 50 States

Impossible Foods’ award-winning, plant-based Impossible Burger is now available in more than 11,000 supermarkets and grocery stores across all 50 stat

According to Chicago-based analytics company Numerator, the vast majority of Impossible Foods' sales over the most recent 13-week period come at the expense of animal-derived meat. In addition:
  • 21 cents for every dollar spent on Impossible Burger at brick-and-mortar grocery stores is incremental to the entire meat category (which includes plant- and animal-based meat) -- in other words, Impossible Burger gets consumers to spend 21% more on all categories of meat;
  • 78 cents per dollar comes from consumers who are shifting their purchases to Impossible Burger from other categories of plant- and animal-based meat;
  • Within the latter category, 92% of Impossible Burger sales come directly at the expense of animal-derived meats -- proof that Impossible Burger is displacing animal-derived foods for 72% of total purchases.

🆒

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I've done some rice paper bacon. It's legit. I like it better than what I remember real bacon being (which, admittedly, I never liked)

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
The Target near me has so many new vegan products which is great since the store I went to before for more obscure things that Publix and Food Lion do not carry shut down.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Living in Melbourne Australia. Just before the lockdowns I moved back home where there isn't many vegan restaurants available. Before I was living in the northers suburbs which had a lot close or easily accessible. And I'm really iffy about getting vegan food from non vegan places. Ive heard bad stories of mix ups and Im not thrilled about eating stuff cooked on the same equipments as animals.

So what I'm really complaining about is that all my meals in the last 6 month have been home made.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Living in Melbourne Australia. Just before the lockdowns I moved back home where there isn't many vegan restaurants available. Before I was living in the northers suburbs which had a lot close or easily accessible. And I'm really iffy about getting vegan food from non vegan places. Ive heard bad stories of mix ups and Im not thrilled about eating stuff cooked on the same equipments as animals.

So what I'm really complaining about is that all my meals in the last 6 month have been home made.
Where about are you living now, I'm in the Western Suburbs. There is a bunch of vegetarian restaurants around that have a lot of vegan options, but yeah most places aren't vegan but just have vegan options. It's not ideal but I feel supporting those options at those places will only lead to them expanding and bettering their options and how they make them. I've only ever had one mix up which I actually detailed not long ago in this thread, apart from that it's been okay.
I also don't particularly like when things are cooked next to meat, like Grill'd is cool for having the options there but I really couldn't help but think it does taste a little funny on the rare occasion I did go there.

I could imagine the difficulty in leaving behind all the great places in the northern suburbs. The first thing I'm going to do when the 5k rule is gone is go to Red Sparrow and get a pizza.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

I feel like its rarer for a place to not have decent vegan options these days in Melbourne.

Only restaurants/fast food outlets where there are multiple I can think of that dont are mostly KFC and McDonalds (can't believe McDonalds is taking so long to get there, especially since outlets overseas can do it).

Places that do have vegan things which I have taken from a few times (well moreso before the lockdown) which aren't totally vegan (such as Lord of the Fries and whatever else) are Schnitz, Hungry Jack's, Domino's, Pizza Hut, Zagames, Nandos, Oporto, Guzman y Gomez, The Pancake Parlour, La Porchetta, Grill'd, San Churro, Zambrero, Mad Mex, Hog's Steakhouse The Groove Train and TGI Fridays. I'm sure there's more out there but that's all that come to mind for me at the moment.

Last edited:

ExpandedKang

Oct 30, 2017
In the midst of this difficult lockdown in Melbourne one of the upsides is that there seems to be a new wave of vegan products on the shelves at the supermarkets and the choice is getting better every day, I recently tried that Fable "meat" made from mushrooms and it's actually quite delicious, they have some pre-made meals that I'm keen to try at some point. Also, I've been addicted to the "Plantein" stuff, they just released a Kiev which is top notch.

The other shining light to come out of this whole thing is that quite a few people have really considered the link between animal agriculture and exploitation with pandemics, overuse of antibiotics and environmental degradation, a few of my mates have given up meat or are reducing it significantly. I mean, a lot of us have been harping on about this stuff for years but obviously these issues of health and the relationship we have with the environment have come to the forefront in a dramatic way.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if this is EU only but tried this butter today. Quite good!!!

hOIeXkH.jpg

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Love oat for cereal. We hardly use soy anymore, only for cooking mostly.

I like Alsan as butter-thing. Not sure where it's available but for sure Germany&Austria.

bio-pack800-600x427.png

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Glad you clarified that's meant to be butter, because the label is amusingly vague.
Yeah, I only immediately knew what it was because it was near other butters but 'vegan block' is a funny name.

Love oat for cereal. We hardly use soy anymore, only for cooking mostly.

I like Alsan as butter-thing. Not sure where it's available but for sure Germany&Austria.

bio-pack800-600x427.png
The one I got was also Germany, at tegut!

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Alsan was also part of the big "only vegan products use palm-oil" controversy.
They stopped making it for some months and changed their recipe.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is EU only but tried this butter today. Quite good!!!

hOIeXkH.jpg
This is highly recommended. They do it in a tub too.

After the move by Flora (They're re adding dairy to the Buttery version after going Vegan last year; because of complaints (none appeared on their social media, we suspect dairy money)) I'll be switching back to this.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I am still confused why brands can write "100% plant based" on their product and then they have milk or egg in their ingredients. How is the EU not dealing with that? Oh because they are busy artificially making a big deal out of the naming of vegan products. *drinks his shampoo because it says milk on it*

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I am still confused why brands can write "100% plant based" on their product and then they have milk or egg in their ingredients. How is the EU not dealing with that? Oh because they are busy artificially making a big deal out of the naming of vegan products. *drinks his shampoo because it says milk on it*
I had no idea this is a thing .

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno about EU wide, but in Germany there is basically a vegan stamp on everything vegan. Even stuff that's obvious like a bag of flax seeds or something lol. Never seen something labeled 'plant based' and not be vegan I think.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
UK plant based should be 100% Vegan. Flora should be removing this from their products. Most product even have the Vegan society logo on or the Veggie society Vegan logo or even just a few words stating suitable for Vegans.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Pizza Hut in the US has two pizzas with Beyond Meat as a topping for a limited time. Might get one without cheese.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Pizza hut UK has vegan cheese (violife I believe), they even have a vegan stuffed crust. Is that not the case in the US?

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember if it was a Domino's or Pizza Hut store (Probably the latter) but they're advertising Beyond Meat (coming soon) in Islington/London.

OP
OP
dude

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Domino's have the vilest vegan Pizza I've ever tasted though, their vegan cheese is horrendous and closer to cement than anything edible.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I found the sauce utterly flavourless and I'm not sure if they do them anywhere but no olives up in Hull. They also gave me the wrong dip on the first order; called back for the Vegan one which is admittedly amazing.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Pizza hut UK has vegan cheese (violife I believe), they even have a vegan stuffed crust. Is that not the case in the US?
Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, and Dominos (several other big chains as well) locations in the US do not have vegan cheese on their menus nationwide. The pizzas places here that do have vegan cheese are smaller chains (Mellow Mushroom) and the places where you get an individual sized pizza and unlimited toppings (Mod Pizza/Blaze Pizza) in my experience.