• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Currently I'm in between vegan and vegetarian, also because I was with my gf, who is vegetarian.

Eating most vegan with some vegetarian works best for me right now.
Also I seem to have harder time balancing my diat if I skip everything that contains milk or egg.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So far it's been a lot easier than I expected. Ice cream is my weakness and I've never really found a non-dairy replacement that I liked... until I tried the Haagen Dazs Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge Non-Dairy. Hoooooo boy, that hits the spot.
I love coconut ice-cream, also the vegan ben and jerries are imho indistinguishable from their regular ice cream.

Also welcome!

Currently I'm in between vegan and vegetarian, also because I was with my gf, who is vegetarian.

Eating most vegan with some vegetarian works best for me right now.
Also I seem to have harder time balancing my diat if I skip everything that contains milk or egg.
We are not dogmatic around here. 😊
I consider myself strict vegetarian and for the most part vegan. Pretty much everything we cook and eat at home is vegan, but on the road it's not always easy.

Welcome to the thread.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Fuck me, fuck bureaucrats, fuck everything. I'm trying to set up a vegan food tent for the summer and these motherfuckers aren't budging even an inch. The marketplace is "full" (even though it's fucking empty space for over half of it) and the city isn't giving permits to set up anything anywhere else. Well fuck you all then, I'm just gonna live as society's parasite. Fuck fuck fuck fuck

fuck

fuck

FUCK.

I'm so frustrated. I think I'm gonna go buy some booze and drink myself silly. I can't deal with this shit right now.
How are you holding up? Any news on the issue?

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are not dogmatic around here. 😊
I consider myself strict vegetarian and for the most part vegan. Pretty much everything we cook and eat at home is vegan, but on the road it's not always easy.

Welcome to the thread.
I already posted here a while a go.
Anyway, I'm also 100% vegetarian with a strong leaning towards vegan food.
Well, at least when I'm buying food for myself. When eating with friends and/or familiy, I don't it to make too complicated for them.
It still has to be vegetarian of course, but that's a lot easier to come by then vegan food most of the time.

OP
OP
dude

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I'd say I'm 90% Vegan, but when I'm abroad or on the road and getting a decent meal is harder, I might dip into vegetarianism. IMO, being 100% Vegan is something to always aspire to, but as much as you can do, as long as you're trying, is better than nothing.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Sometimes I ask myself if I would still like the "taste" of meat.
But the smell of todays bbq and smoking event at my company teached me that I am actually disgusted by it. Phew...
Am I a snob that I don't like to eat veggies I know are made on the same grill that also serves for meat? And am I a snob because I don't like do be around people that shove huge chunks of meat into their mouths?

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I ask myself if I would still like the "taste" of meat.
But the smell of todays bbq and smoking event at my company teached me that I am actually disgusted by it. Phew...
Am I a snob that I don't like to eat veggies I know are made on the same grill that also serves for meat? And am I a snob because I don't like do be around people that shove huge chunks of meat into their mouths?
Not gonna lie, I still like the smell of bacon. Other meats cooking, not so much. I have to walk past a few pubs and burger places on my way to the bus stop after work, and the smell of burgers cooking turns my stomach.

I'm not too bothered by "cross-contamination" - as long as the stuff isn't all touching each other on the grill and the veggie stuff is to one side I'm ok with it. In Scotland most of the chippies use beef dripping in their fryers - I won't have anything that's been cooked in that because I see that as funding and using an animal product, plus my food will be saturated with beef dripping. Other chippies will use vegetable oil, but will usually fry meat and veg things in the same oil. I'm ok with that because I've not contributed towards any animal products in that case.

But no, I don't think you're a snob for anything you've said. Different people have different levels of what they find acceptable. Some people won't consume products that say "may contain traces of milk" etc, but as long as milk is not a listed ingredient I don't mind (eg oreos). I'm not allergic to meat/dairy and I certainly don't want to consume it, but I take a kind of practical approach of as long as I've not paid for animal products and am not directly consuming them, I'm generally ok with it.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Yeah there are a couple of meat smells and appearances that I don't mind, like bacon and steak. Some other more smelly meats, and some other meats that look closer to actual flesh make me retch at this point though. Like, when I come back home and my flatmate has left on the counter a dirty plate full of half eaten chicken legs with all the muscle, fat, and ligaments showing I legit want to throw up.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a consensus best vegan cheese? Like something similar to Impossible Burger where it's just so freaking undeniably / unbelievably good?

Amnixia

β–² Legend β–²
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Is there a consensus best vegan cheese? Like something similar to Impossible Burger where it's just so freaking undeniably / unbelievably good?

I can't find them but people online keep saying how great the Follow Your Heart is.

Violife is my personal favorite up until now.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I like the Field Roast Chao Cheeses, but I am okay with most vegan cheeses now when they are on a pizza.

slutbomb

Oct 29, 2017
detroit
The Follow Your Heart American slices are indistinguishable from "real" American cheese to my omnivorous partner. A convincing copy of a copy of cheese. Great for burgers and grilled cheese.

Violife has a hard grateable parmesan I've used on spaghetti and popcorn with good results. They also make a feta which has some interesting goat cheese funkiness. I want to try breading and deep-frying sticks of it.

Used to get the Treeline cream cheese which is great but I'm trying to avoid almonds lately. The Miyoko's semi-soft chive is cashew-based and pretty good. Maybe a little too tangy from the lemon juice. Their garlic herb variety has an overpowering rosemary flavor though. Had to throw that one away.

The Daiya farmhouse blocks of smoked gouda are good for snacking, but smoked cheese seems like an easy one to get right.

Last edited:

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
I've found the best cheeses are the "artisan" ones you can't really get in supermarkets. I've had some amazing brie, blue cheeese, monterey jack style ones etc that you'd never tell the difference. Sadly they're not only less available but generally really expensive too, so I usually just buy Sheese as they're readily available here in the UK and have a huge range of flavours (Tesco, Sainsburys etc "free from" cheese are made by Sheese and rebranded). I tried Daiya once and really wasn't impressed, far too expensive for a below average effort.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
thank you cheap(er) german grocery brand vegan ice creams

5n5rm7q.jpg

Feb 10, 2018
I'm looking to eat less meat, But I still want to eat quite high protein
The most protein dense vegan foods

Are beans, pulses, tofu?

Also I'm not really into fresh veg because I like quick meal preps, so I'm going to sticked to frozen + tinned veg, fresh potato's, fresh tomatoes + cucumbers.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

Are beans, pulses, tofu?

Also I'm not really into fresh veg because I like quick meal preps, so I'm going to sticked to frozen + tinned veg, fresh potato's, fresh tomatoes + cucumbers.
Seitan and tempeh are also options.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017

Are beans, pulses, tofu?

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/protein-for-vegans-vegetarians#section17

There is also some guy on youtube that is a body builder vegan... I wish I could remember his name, but I am sure his recipe ideas are meant for people trying to build muscle.

edit: I found him. Also quickly googling and there appear to be a ton of vloggers now on youtube for this. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpyhJZhJQWKDdJCR07jPY-Q

Feb 10, 2018
Seitan and tempeh are also options.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/protein-for-vegans-vegetarians#section17

There is also some guy on youtube that is a body builder vegan... I wish I could remember his name, but I am sure his recipe ideas are meant for people trying to build muscle.

edit: I found him. Also quickly googling and there appear to be a ton of vloggers now on youtube for this. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpyhJZhJQWKDdJCR07jPY-Q

Thank you 😊

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
How are you holding up? Any news on the issue?
Another thing fell through because the housing company didn't give permission to use the space as a restaurant I was interested in. Not sure how these things work elsewhere in the world but it's quite a process here. First you need the acceptance of whoever owns the space, then the housing company board needs to give an official consent for it too (so basically everybody who owns an apartment in the building can have a say), then the fire deparment and building control also need to make sure that the space is allowed to be used in such a manner + other stuff like how many max customers there can be at any given time, and finally there's the health inspector who also needs to make sure that all the hygiene & other stuff is up to snuff. If any of those say no, then it's a no-deal.

Now I'm waiting on another space to empty up and maybe I'll get a possibility to make use of the space. I'm a bit hesitant because it's a bit on the far side of things. It's on an idyllic little isle just by the city center. It's only 3-4 minutes by bike and maybe 10-12 by walking, so not all that far ultimately, but still kind of on the side so I'm not sure how much foot traffic would come there per day. On the other hand I might get a space that actually has a kitchen so hopefully no pricey renovations/remodeling/building stuff.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Went to a screening of Game Changers yesterday.
Fantastic documentary, with many genuinely funny parts.
It will be on Netflix starting next wedensday and if I don't forget I'll create an OT for it then. 😊

The focus is clearly on vegan athletes and that fabled protein. But it does tie it all together with environmental concerns and animal welfare at the end too.

Debunks so many common misconceptions and shows how a plant based diet is a) the fuel we are evolved to run on and no matter what more healthy and beneficial.

Some interesting tid bits I thought were interesting and want to highlight
  • I had no idea animal feed is now fortified with B12, because animals no longer get the B12 producing bacteria from their environment anymore either.
  • One of the worlds strongest men is vegan
  • A variety of world class athletes started to beat their own personal bests late in their career once they switched to a plant based diet.
  • Animals are really just middle-men that take protein, amino acids, vitamins already present in plants; add nothing of value; but plenty things of detriment to the meat that is then consumed.
  • Men's erections are harder and last longer on a plant based diet. (I kid you not, it's a pretty funny part of the program)
  • Someone on a plant based diet that switches to white meat just once a week increases their cancer markers by a whopping 25%
  • Things that society considers "manly" get lost so much quicker in life for carnivores compared to soyboy cuks /s.
  • Speaking of soy; soy contains phytoestrogens, which actually prevents real oestrogen to take effect. There is no difference in testosterone levels between carnivores and people on a plant based diet.
  • The CO2 footprint of the meat and dairy industry is as large as all forms of transport combined (planes, shipping, cars, trains, everything!)
  • Firefighters who switched to a plant based diet for just a week saw their cholesterol level drop like a stone by over 100 points.
  • The dead animal & dairy industry is following the tobacco industries playbook in obfuscating scientific evidence that only points in one direction.
It's a great movie, I highly recommend it if you get the chance ahead of next week, elsewise check it out on Netflix.

My favorite quote from the movie
p4AD7AS.png

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
There was a showing in my city but I heard about it too late to change plans. Good to know it's coming to Netflix.

In other news, my food place plans could be advancing. Took health inspectors to my planned kitchen today and it should satisfy all their requirements. Now, on to building inspectors/whatever they are. They already sent me a list of requirements that make me want to crawl into the dark corner of my bedroom and stay there in a fetal position.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Speaking of soy; soy contains phytoestrogens, which actually prevents real oestrogen to take effect. There is no difference in testosterone levels between carnivores and people on a plant based diet.
If there is one thing I wish would end, it is the anti-soy brigade. Especially considering how much food contains some traces of soy.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the "soy = moobs" thing is one of those things I've often had to debunk in arguments against veganism. They always have their roots in the same (mostly meat/dairy industry funded) studies where they've fed, like, an absolutely insane amount of soy to cows or rats or something. A human would have to eat something like 2-3kgs of it daily for us to be on the same level and even then it's not like cow & rat digestion & such are the exact same as humans'.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Yeah, the "soy = moobs" thing is one of those things I've often had to debunk in arguments against veganism. They always have their roots in the same (mostly meat/dairy industry funded) studies where they've fed, like, an absolutely insane amount of soy to cows or rats or something. A human would have to eat something like 2-3kgs of it daily for us to be on the same level and even then it's not like cow & rat digestion & such are the exact same as humans'.
I challenge anyone to go up to Patrik Baboumian and tell him he has low levels of testosterone and that vegans cannot bulk up. 😬
That said he seems like a really nice fella in Game Changers I doubt he could hurt a fly.

I24m95y.png

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Went to a screening of Game Changers yesterday.
Fantastic documentary, with many genuinely funny parts.
It will be on Netflix starting next wedensday and if I don't forget I'll create an OT for it then. 😊

The focus is clearly on vegan athletes and that fabled protein. But it does tie it all together with environmental concerns and animal welfare at the end too.

Debunks so many common misconceptions and shows how a plant based diet is a) the fuel we are evolved to run on and no matter what more healthy and beneficial.

Some interesting tid bits I thought were interesting and want to highlight
  • I had no idea animal feed is now fortified with B12, because animals no longer get the B12 producing bacteria from their environment anymore either.
  • The worlds strongest man is a vegan
  • A variety of world class athletes started to beat their own personal bests late in their career once they switched to a plant based diet.
  • Animals are really just middle-men that take protein, amino acids, vitamins already present in plants; add nothing of value; but plenty things of detriment to the meat that is then consumed.
  • Men's erections are harder and last longer on a plant based diet. (I kid you not, it's a pretty funny part of the program)
  • Someone on a plant based diet that switches to white meat just once a week increases their cancer markers by a whopping 25%
  • Things that society considers "manly" get lost so much quicker in life for carnivores compared to soyboy cuks /s.
  • Speaking of soy; soy contains phytoestrogens, which actually prevents real oestrogen to take effect. There is no difference in testosterone levels between carnivores and people on a plant based diet.
  • The CO2 footprint of the meat and dairy industry is as large as all forms of transport combined (planes, shipping, cars, trains, everything!)
  • Firefighters who switched to a plant based diet for just a week saw their cholesterol level drop like a stone by over 100 points.
  • The dead animal & dairy industry is following the tobacco industries playbook in obfuscating scientific evidence that only points in one direction.
It's a great movie, I highly recommend it if you get the chance ahead of next week, elsewise check it out on Netflix.

My favorite quote from the movie
p4AD7AS.png

I am pumped to watch this and love that lifter, but he is not the world's strong man. Unless I am missing something, current holder is Martin's Licis. I can't find anything about Martin's being vegan.

Patrik is awesome in a few other docs out there but he's known for embellishing his awards, since he doesn't compete in almost any of the top competitions. He holds a lot or records that aren't internationally recognized.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I just wanted to add that because if you use it as a talking point and a person that loves to watch strong man competitions hears it, they will insta bash him. Mostly just a warning.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I am pumped to watch this and love that lifter, but he is not the world's strong man. Unless I am missing something, current holder is Martin's Licis. I can't find anything about Martin's being vegan.

Patrik is awesome in a few other docs out there but he's known for embellishing his awards, since he doesn't compete in almost any of the top competitions. He holds a lot or records that aren't internationally recognized.
I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about the scene, in the documentary they just show him breaking a world record and having broken others in the past.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about the scene, in the documentary they just show him breaking a world record and having broken others in the past.
He's a great advocate and holds a lot of German records, but internationally he is not going to hold up to people like the "the mountain" lol. I wish plant based docs would stop calling him the world's strongest man. It's just going to get people called out for saying that.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I just wanted to add that because if you use it as a talking point and a person that loves to watch strong man competitions hears it, they will insta bash him. Mostly just a warning.
I appreciate it, as I was going to use most of that for my OT next week and the last thing I want is for the thread to get derailed with the minutia of the strong man completion world... 😝

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Seeing as we are looking at our first Michigan winter soon I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for good vegan winter boots?

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Seeing as we are looking at our first Michigan winter soon I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for good vegan winter boots?
I second this question! I may get judgement for this, but have always been a don't waste what you have person so I still have my 10 year old leather boots(went vegan 3 years ago). I want to upgrade too when these give out, but everything I find is like 300+ dollars for vegan boots. I need rugged boots, like steel toe and water proof for my chorin.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I second this question! I may get judgement for this, but have always been a don't waste what you have person so I still have my 10 year old leather boots(went vegan 3 years ago). I want to upgrade too when these give out, but everything I find is like 300+ dollars for vegan boots. I need rugged boots, like steel toe and water proof for my chorin.
Keeping stuff you already have sounds like the most sustainable thing you can do. You're good in my book!

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Keeping stuff you already have sounds like the most sustainable thing you can do. You're good in my book!
ya know... things change quickly, I swear I googled and it was a pain to find anything under a few hundred dollars, but just a quick google and I found a ton I could work in. I am not sure if these would be over doing it for you? I assume you may just need more of every day wear?

I checked the prices on most and they all seem to be below 200, if not below 100.

link to multiple