• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I went to Whole Foods recently (I wanted some more of the Beyond Burgers) and found this Vegan Valley Jalapeno Cheeze Sauce and while it is a bit pricey, oh gosh it is so tasty. Even my mother enjoyed it and she is not big on the vegan cheese products.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a vegan, but I seldom eat red/white meat (one or twice every two weeks most of the time) and I am looking to expand my diet in regards of legume and such. Subbed for resources and possible discussion.

ExpandedKang

Oct 30, 2017
Does any one know where I would be able to get a Tofu Press in Australia? Is my only option online?

I don't think I've seen one in a shop, that being said I haven't been looking for one.

The only place I could think might have it is an Asian grocer that sells kitchenware, they often have particular items you can't typically get elsewhere.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Oh I didn't know we had a thread. I've been vegan for a year and a half :) I'm super lazy when it comes to cooking though, I eat the same stuff everyday.

Peanut butter is life. Recently bought 16kg for less than NZD10/kg haha

OP
OP
dude

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
What are the benefits of a tofu press? I just put the tofu between two cutting boards and then put a lot of heavy stuff on the top one.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I think most of the tofu presses act as a storage box as well. I never felt the need to squeeze out a tofu - is it mainly for cooking purposes? I eat smoked/seasoned tofu for cold snack or sandwiches. I gues it makes more sense for the softer/white tofu variants.

Nov 1, 2017
I like my tofu kind of soft, but when I cook for others I use a press. Pressed tofu has a very nice texture if you're patient enough (I'm not patient, however :p)

Also, hi VeganERA! Vegan of 10+ years here. I love fried tempeh the best.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I think most of the tofu presses act as a storage box as well. I never felt the need to squeeze out a tofu - is it mainly for cooking purposes? I eat smoked/seasoned tofu for cold snack or sandwiches. I gues it makes more sense for the softer/white tofu variants.
Yes, if you cook tofu you get the best results if you get the excess liquid out.

Nov 1, 2017
I'll eat both with gusto. Like my namesake, I just like food ^_^.

Did any of you US folks make something this for Thanksgiving? I don't really celebrate, but I made some lentil soup from the Oh She Glows cookbook for me and my mom. We're both getting over a cold and the soup hit the spot!

ExpandedKang

Oct 30, 2017
GOAT tofu is puff tofu:

-Absorbs heaps of flavour really quickly
-Tastes amazing in a laksa soup, curry, stir fry, banh mi, sushi etc
-Never tastes watery

a9.jpg

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
tumblr_ozx8gobv2N1s6k2mjo1_540.jpg

Not exactly the best picture but here's what I made for yesterday! I was going to make some cornbread too but my dishwasher stopped working and I was not in the mood to start hand washing while I was still cooking. The Gardein roast, green bean casserole, scalloped corn, stuffing, balsamic glazed Brussels sprouts with apples and red onion, and pumpkin fudge. My mom actually enjoyed it all and said she could not tell the difference between my casserole and the non-vegan version.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_ozx8gobv2N1s6k2mjo1_540.jpg

Not exactly the best picture but here's what I made for yesterday! I was going to make some cornbread too but my dishwasher stopped working and I was not in the mood to start hand washing while I was still cooking. The Gardein roast, green bean casserole, scalloped corn, stuffing, balsamic glazed Brussels sprouts with apples and red onion, and pumpkin fudge. My mom actually enjoyed it all and said she could not tell the difference between my casserole and the non-vegan version.
Damn that looks good, and I don't even like sprouts! :P

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,

I've been changing up the way I eat for the bast 5 months, decided I should stop eating meat last week. I stopped drinking milk about a month ago (was just using half and half for coffee but I stopped that as well), I rarely eat cheese, I use butter sometimes and I still eat eggs everyday. My decision to go vegan (or at the least vegetarian) has been on my mind for years, and I have had little stints here and there but I've decided it's time to stop eating meat.

Anyways, looking on recommendations for meals, supplements, and foods that I should look into.

Deleted member 11113

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi all,

I've been changing up the way I eat for the bast 5 months, decided I should stop eating meat last week. I stopped drinking milk about a month ago (was just using half and half for coffee but I stopped that as well), I rarely eat cheese, I use butter sometimes and I still eat eggs everyday. My decision to go vegan (or at the least vegetarian) has been on my mind for years, and I have had little stints here and there but I've decided it's time to stop eating meat.

Anyways, looking on recommendations for meals, supplements, and foods that I should look into.
Welcome! One thing I did that helped when I was starting out was borrowing all the vegan cookbooks from my library and trying different recipes.

Speaking of recipes, I recently discovered a Syrian dip/spread called muhammara which is fantastic: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...pers-walnuts-pomegranate-molasses-recipe.html I made it with less olive oil and more nuts than this recipe, and it came out great. I made a pizza with muhammara instead of tomato sauce, topped with dates, cherry tomatoes, ruccola and pomegranate molasses and it was delicious.

deadbluesky

Nov 5, 2017
So, Attila Holtmann is a complete tool, I'm aware, but I'm loving his recipes and cookbooks. Had the Teriyaki-cauliflower yesterday, was a delight.

After that, I went on a quest to find some winterproof shoes, after failing three years to break in a pair of veg* Martens. (Still literally sore.) Ended up with Vivobarefoot Hikers. They seem instantly comfortable. What's veg*eras choice of shoes?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I have vegan Waldviertler for winter (they are sadly discontinued). But I will switch them out this year I guess because they are not that warm. I looked at Vegeterian Shoes and they have some nice boots.
If you are in Germany or Austria you can get them through avesu.https://www.nae-vegan.com/en/
edit: NAEalso has some nice shoes. I would like to try the boot with the Pinatex (pineapple leaves) material but they are pretty pricey.

Last edited:

deadbluesky

Nov 5, 2017
I never had any luck with Vegetarian Shoes™, always a little to clunky.
But I'll have a look at the NAE ones.

After some time and cold-rainy weather I cannot recommend the Hikers from Vivobarefoot enough. So good.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Shoes are one of the things I'm not yet sure if they are vegan. There are no local stores that specifically sell vegan shoes and I have the kind of feet that need specific kinds of shoes so ordering online (especially at the prices vegan shoes are) is a bad option. I really need to be able to test the shoes. I do try to avoid anything with any kind of leather but I'm not sure if my shoes are 100% animal free.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
I never had any luck with Vegetarian Shoes™, always a little to clunky.
But I'll have a look at the NAE ones.

After some time and cold-rainy weather I cannot recommend the Hikers from Vivobarefoot enough. So good.
I bought some of <these> from vegetarian shoes about a year ago and I wanted so much to like them but they're just so damned stiff I can't even begin to wear them in because they start to hurt really quickly. And they're bloody cold too :(
Really need to get some decent hiking shoes/boots as my old ones are leather (bought them pre-vegan) and starting to need replaced.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Seems like I won't go with Vegeterian Shoes ;)
LOWA hiking shoes are pretty good, I can only recommend them. They have non-leather options as well of course :)

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Searches on Vegan; title only and nothing. Almost created my own thread. Anyways VeganUK person here (12 years)

Anyone in the UK tried one Planet Pizzas?

And does anyone have an awesome donner kebab seitan recipe? Hooked on the stuff and always looking for more options!

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the UK too, I've heard of those pizzas but last time I checked you could only get them in the town they're made. Are they any good?

This is my favourite doner kebab recipe so far -
http://flash-gordonette.com.gridhosted.co.uk/26-vegan-doner-kebab/
They're all over now, I got mine at Grain Wholefdoods in Hull (which isn't even on there map yet) but most their places are listed here https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...ll=53.964276270243445,-3.6277747999999974&z=6

I'm a fan of them too, the cheese isn't the best (it's Sheese) but it melts, it's tasty and the base/sauce are pretty good. £5.25 but they're gonna be a regular in my house!

And ta for the link, will give it a go next week (Birthday weekend so binging on takeaways/beer).

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Have had another vegan pop-up restaurant thing. It's probably the closeness of Christmas but there hasn't been all that many customers. About 20 per day. I was afraid this might be too late but oh well, what is done is done. Today is the last day and we're only open for 3 hours. The offerings were

1) Hamburger w/ seitan ham, falafel or black bean patty, salad, tomato slice, garlic or paprika mayo and violife's smoked veg-cheese + free optional addition of ketchup, sriracha and/or pickled cucumber salad + mushroom-onion mix and marinaded red onion as additions for 0,50€

2) Tortillas w/ seitan ham, falafel or black bean alternative, veggie cheese or garlic or sriracha sauce, spiced / lightly roasted chickpeas, pineapple, red bell pepper, salad, medium hot taco sauce + the same 0,50€ adds as with the hamburgers

3) Desserts for 2,50€
Friday: Chocolate cake
Saturday: Gingerbread pastry
Sunday: Plum-curd squares
Everyday: Green jelly ball tarts

French fries and sweet potato fries

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Have had another vegan pop-up restaurant thing. It's probably the closeness of Christmas but there hasn't been all that many customers. About 20 per day. I was afraid this might be too late but oh well, what is done is done. Today is the last day and we're only open for 3 hours. The offerings were

1) Hamburger w/ seitan ham, falafel or black bean patty, salad, tomato slice, garlic or paprika mayo and violife's smoked veg-cheese + free optional addition of ketchup, sriracha and/or pickled cucumber salad + mushroom-onion mix and marinaded red onion as additions for 0,50€

2) Tortillas w/ seitan ham, falafel or black bean alternative, veggie cheese or garlic or sriracha sauce, spiced / lightly roasted chickpeas, pineapple, red bell pepper, salad, medium hot taco sauce + the same 0,50€ adds as with the hamburgers

3) Desserts for 2,50€
Friday: Chocolate cake
Saturday: Gingerbread pastry
Sunday: Plum-curd squares
Everyday: Green jelly ball tarts

French fries and sweet potato fries
Sounds pretty damn awesome, shame you're not in Hull/UK; I'd have to try one of everything.

I think it may be getting too cold for people to get out, we had a local Vegan market which was half as packed as the one we had in November. Still managed to stuff my face on pizza, a Vegan chili/cheese dog, pies, pasties and a falafel wrap; gotta do my bit to support these things!

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
What are you folks doing for christmas dinner?
We are having our average raclette with vegan cheese, sausages, tofus, veggies and a lot of salad variations.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
For our traditional family meal (me, my brothers and their possible partners and my parents)
Dill-garlic potato stew
Seitan ham
Beetroot-soy steaks
Carrot"box" (I don't know what this is called in English, the finnish name translates literally to carrot box, it's basically mashed carrots with some spices, syrup and cream/milk mixed and baked in the oven, perfect side dish for Christmas-y meals)
Buns
Some salad

For Christmas Eve shenanigans when all the aunts and uncles and cousins who live here gather in the same place, I'm gonna make a few different pastries as well as eggless egg butter to eat with Karelian pies. Maybe this carrot-fish thing and some dill-cream cheese spread on rye bread thing that is a veganization of a traditional nordic food.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Sounds awesome :)
Can't even imagine what it is like to have a large vegan christmas dinner. My GF and me are shoved into the corner with our own raclette dish :D
Not complaining, love raclette.

Speaking of seitan and steak. I had my first seitan steak at a vegan restaurant some weeks ago and it was pretty good - I am always sceptical about those substitutes but that one I will order more regularily.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Well, no one else is a vegan but me and I have to (or well, decide to) make it all myself. But make it good enough and non-vegans will eat it too. :) Make it good enough a few years in a row and they'll actually start to expect you to make something for the meal. :D They'll enjoy it themselves and it's work off their shoulders since they don't necessarily have to do something when/if the vegan stuff is just as good (if not better if you are a better chef or have a slightly more special recipe :p ), which they'll appreciate.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I guess that's the advantage of being an actual chef :D In our families vegan is still mostly a no-go because "tradition" and "artificial food" - I gave up a while ago on the latter part ;)
Goes so far as an invitation to our birthdays has to be in a traditional restaurant or else no one would come - makes you rethink the term "family".

We do one dinner a year where we invite parents and make something really good tho, they always love it :)

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Last year we had a Sgaia festive fillet, this year I've bought one of these Moodley Manor roasting joints. Can't wait! :D
All your options sound awesome (and I'm especially jealous of these; Sgaia is pretty good although I suspect Moodley Manor will be better based on the stuff I've tried).

I suspect mine with either be a mushroom wellington or some kind of pie. If I was making it myself I'd be having some kind of seitan roast but I'll be eating it with people who prefer a more veg based approach (one day I'll make the ultimate seitan roast though).

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Hate to be a double poster, but I really wanted to share pictures of the food I made for today lol:
tumblr_p1jleyO5ry1s6k2mjo5_250.jpg
tumblr_p1jleyO5ry1s6k2mjo7_250.jpg
tumblr_p1jleyO5ry1s6k2mjo6_250.jpg

I made spinach puffs, pull apart bread, roasted Brussels sprouts, and a few other things. The puffs were more popular than I thought they would be among my family. My sister had four before it was officially dinner time.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Damn that looks better than my rush job (only found out I had to cook for myself yesterday and luckily I bought a house next to a health food shop). Merry Christmas! Currently on the red wine and feel like I'm gonna explode from so much food!

26063200_10159726433655207_2029612274_o.png

26132512_10159728600805207_1127829808_o.png

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Damn that looks better than my rush job (only found out I had to cook for myself yesterday and luckily I bought a house next to a health food shop). Merry Christmas! Currently on the red wine and feel like I'm gonna explode from so much food!
Your food looks delicious! The dishes are beautiful too!

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Your food looks delicious! The dishes are beautiful too!
Cheers; they're from the Range if anyone's UK based. Searched for Tapas dishes for ages and they're dirt cheap there. Got some awesome bowls for Buddha bowl type things too (although I keep getting bigger ones so I can stuff my face more!)

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Merry new year all :) It's been a good 2017 for food; food options are increasing as a crazy rate and in my own city we have so many Vegan places to eat now and have had 2 Vegan markets and one Festival; 2018 can only get better (and I can stuff my face some more). Maybe we'll get some Veganuary people in too :)

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I see the trend of off topic threads about veganism being dumpster fires is sadly carrying on on this forum :(

On a more positive note, i made some vegan pretzels today. Turned out pretty good. Not something you should eat too often since it's pretty much just carbs but it's great every once in a while haha

Last edited: