• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I know B12 is the obvious one but is anyone taking those algae omega 3 / epa / dha supplements? Seems to be a lot of back and forth online about needing to take them vs. some moderate amount of flax / chia / hemp being enough 🤔

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a bottle of algae oil tablets, but I only take 1-2 a week.

I have plenty of seeds in my diet, mostly chia, but the human body is pretty bad at converting ALA/EPA into DHA so I prefer to just help it out a little. It might not even be required.

I don't actually take b12 as a dedicated supplement, I'm hitting 200% RDA with plant milk, nooch, and fortified foods alone.

Last edited:

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
With a varied diet you shouldn't really need any. Saying that, I do take some multivitamins when I get ill just to be on the safe side but this is more for my own peace of mind than anything else.

There's loads of info out there and the whole 'but you're gonna lack in nutrients/vitamins/protein' farce is getting more and more debunked by the day.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
B12 and protein, although I always supplemented protein because I lift. I just switched to plant based protein.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I have a bottle of algae oil tablets, but I only take 1-2 a week.

I have plenty of seeds in my diet, mostly chia, but the human body is pretty bad at converting ALA/EPA into DHA so I prefer to just help it out a little.

I don't actually take b12 as a dedicated supplement, I'm hitting 200% RDA with plant milk, nooch, and fortified foods alone.
I'm not sure if I need the b12 since in addition to the yeast I think a bunch of other stuff I'm eating is fortified with it. I've never sat down and added it up but a supplement might be unnecessary. And about the ALA --> epa/dha thing, I've read the same but I simultaneously read that even tablespoon amounts of flax or whatever contain enough ALA that even at low conversion rates the body is getting enough. 🤷‍♂️

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
I'm vegetarian (not vegan) and still eat eggs now and then and products that contain milk like cake / cookies / ice cream etc. I don't eat any supplements and I have been healthy this way for like 4 years now, no problems at all. I do eat a vegetarian meat replacement each day which usually contains B12 and I drink a glass of soy milk in the morning with B12 among other stuff I think. My plant based margarine also contains B12.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm vegetarian and take B12 and D (which is unrelated to my diet). I've had deficiencies in both for years, even when I was still regularly eating meat. My B12 levels were actually worse back then, even with the supplements.

I get a blood test done every 6 to 12 months and besides those two all my values are great.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a vegetarian but a bad one, I just eat whatever I have on hand without thinking of nutritional value.
That said I don't feel I'm "lacking" anything so...
> How could I know if I'm lacking a specific vitamin, are there any flagrant symptoms ?

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
I don't take anything (Vegan for 13months) and don't feel like im lacking in anything. I stay clear of fried and heavy stuff and try to make sure i'm having plenty of water, fruit, grains, beans throughout the week and seem to be getting on fine. My GF has a lot of nutritional yeast for B12 and she notices she's a lot warmer but for me i never get cold hands etc.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I'm a Vegetarian, I don't eat eggs or drink milk and I take 0 extra supplements.

I feel fine.

Nov 14, 2017
B12 and protein, although I always supplemented protein because I lift. I just switched to plant based protein.
Creatine is one of the few supplements that actually works for boosting athletic performance, and given that meat is the main dietary source for it vegans/vegetarians may see even bigger benefits from supplementing with it. However it can accelerate male pattern baldness.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Went vegan about a year ago, and I've only begun to take B12 occasionally just in case, but that's it. My latest blood analysis didn't detect any problems.

Dec 2, 2017
I am not vegan but I rarely eat eggs and consume dairy maybe twice a week.
I have never taken any supplements. My bloodwork is fine and as long as it continues to be fine I see no reason why I should take supplements.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Vegetarian here. Just take vitamin D supplements. My vitam B levels are just at/above the required threshold.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I take a women's multi and make sure it has B12, D, and iron. The latter might not be a concern for male vegans/vegetarians.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
I'm a vegetarian but a bad one, I just eat whatever I have on hand without thinking of nutritional value.
That said I don't feel I'm "lacking" anything so...
> How could I know if I'm lacking a specific vitamin, are there any flagrant symptoms ?

You'll normally notice fatigue, propensity for illness. Just general 'run-down' and lack of recovery is the most common signs.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, tiredness is the usual sign. The problem with that is that there are so many things which could cause that, it's hard to pinpoint a specific thing you are low in. If you feel it's needed or just want to play it super safe, asking for a blood test is the best thing to do.

B12 is one really annoying one though, because a lot of the symptoms linked with that take quite some time to actually show up, and by that point some of the damage has already been done. That's why people are so quick to make sure people have it in their diet when they go vegan.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I have a bunch of "100% of recommended intake" supplements on rotation.
The main ones contain magnesium+zink+calcium+D3,there is a generic one with A,C, bunch of B-s, E and I occasionaly take Selenium too.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
I only take B12 regularly but gotten very lazy about it these past years. Personally after extensively reading upon this almost a decade ago you only need to get B12, Iodine and supplement with some Omega 3 (algea as converting to DHA - EPA from rapeseed isn't as efficient otherwise). It does not matter if you get it fortified or not. I also take D vitamins as I live in Norway and we have no good alternatives to lack of sunlight.

In the past I did not feel difference on creatin (performance related) but some studies have showed some improvement with memory for vegetarians or vegans. For me protein powder is unnecessary even when going to the gym regularly. I remember reading a test about how most protein powders are lying about their protein percentage (was worse with the plant based ones). I eat regularly beans.

Last edited:

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Vegan here, occasional B12 for me, but a lot of vegan foods come fortified with it these days, so I am not as consistent with it as I used to be.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Ayana

Apr 19, 2022
vegan protein powder from https://beyondvital.com/

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk

1 banana

1/2 cup ice

1 tablespoon honey

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions

1. Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.

2. Enjoy!

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Lifelong vegetarian here.
I take a B12, vegan Omega, iron, and zinc every day.
Only been consistent with it the past couple of years.
The vitamins are cheap so I thought better to be safe than sorry.