• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Hi, vegan here.

The day I showed up to the restaurant they had flyers out front that explained the impossible Whopper but most importantly they explicitly stated that they cook them on the same range as the meat burgers UNLESS you ask them otherwise.

I thought it was a perfect example of them honestly covering their asses from this kind of stuff. They explicitly stated this. Does this person actually have a case? I think it's stupid considering BK gave a disclaimer regarding this.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Behind every moment of progress in history is someone saying "this is as good as we're gonna get"

lmao. So should we just dump all over it then? I'm not remotely saying that btw. You're posts are horrendously condescending as if you've got it all figured out. Exposure for meatless alternatives that actually taste good is a fucking great start, regardless of how it happens.

coldzone24

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I'm only pescatarian so I'm far from being vegan, but honestly what is the harm of a miniscule amount of animal being on your food? And if you care that much about it I feel like you shouldn't be going to Burger King at all or at the very least ask ahead of time if they are cooked on the same grill. This is clearly a cash grab and it's like based on the obvious disclaimers that he has no case anyways.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Questioning if the Impossible Burger is healthy or safe is laughable because it is arguably worse for you than a regular beef burger as its higher in saturated fat per gram. Also the magical ingredient heme is likely carcinogenic whether it comes from plants or animals. Eating too much of either variant is going to give you problems down the road. The Impossible Burger is a luxury item that should be chosen with regard for the environment and humane treatment of animals. It's not healthy.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Questioning if the Impossible Burger is healthy or safe is laughable because it is arguably worse for you than a regular beef burger as its higher in saturated fat per gram. Also the magical ingredient heme is likely carcinogenic whether it comes from plants or animals. Eating too much of either variant is going to give you problems down the road. The Impossible Burger is a luxury item that should be chosen with regard for the environment and humane treatment of animals. It's not healthy.
It's well publicized that it isn't healthier than meat.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

Who here is arguing that it's healthy again?

edit- I've had countless people point out that beyond and impossible meat "aren't even healthy so what's the point!" like it's some major revelation or gotcha moment. These companies very plainly state that these are not health foods and that is not the goal. You know what else isn't health food? Red meat.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
that's also not the goal of the impossible burger (they never ever use "healthy" in advertisments) and i doubt anyone thinks they're eating healthy anything at burger king.
It's well publicized that it isn't healthier than meat.

I'm referring to the comments about testing the heme produced from GMO'ed yeast. Like you're already eating something that's proven to kill you. What's the difference where it comes from?

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
God, some Vegan's are their own worst enemy.

All this will do if successful is convince other chains to not experiment with meatless products.

Definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I'm referring to the comments about testing the heme produced from GMO'ed yeast. Like you're already eating something that's proven to kill you. What's the difference where it comes from?

Because one comes from an industry that's horrible for our environment and bad for animals? Is this a serious post?

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
Hi, vegan here.

The day I showed up to the restaurant they had flyers out front that explained the impossible Whopper but most importantly they explicitly stated that they cook them on the same range as the meat burgers UNLESS you ask them otherwise.

I thought it was a perfect example of them honestly covering their asses from this kind of stuff. They explicitly stated this. Does this person actually have a case? I think it's stupid considering BK gave a disclaimer regarding this.
I'm an aspiring vegan I suppose, but certainly my vegan wife and friends agree this guy's an idiot and doing no favors for the animals. No vegans I know give two shits about cross-contamination because it doesn't do anything to reduce meat consumption.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm an aspiring vegan I suppose, but certainly my vegan wife and friends agree this guy's an idiot and doing no favors for the animals. No vegans I know give two shits about cross-contamination because it doesn't do anything to reduce meat consumption.
Yeah. Vegan Action, which does Vegan certification, allows companies to use equipment that also uses animal products. Avoiding those products does nothing to help animals, and would make it nearly impossible for any vegan company to exist on a decent scale, since vegan only equipment would be way too expensive.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah. Vegan Action, which does Vegan certification, allows companies to use equipment that also uses animal products. Avoiding those products does nothing to help animals, and would make it nearly impossible for any vegan company to exist on a decent scale, since vegan only equipment would be way too expensive.

Right, which is why the idea that "we can always do better" is a dumb way of thinking about it entirely and in no way makes you a corporate apologist or a sell out. The key to meat free is making it as simple and painless as possible for basically everyone involved.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
To sell in grocery stores there were requirements to test specific ingredients they created in animals first. Some vegans are strict that the product should not be considered vegan if it's research and development involved meat or animals.

For crap's sake. Are you serious? :D

Erik Zarkov

Dec 4, 2017
There's a tick that if it bites you, makes you unable to process meat???? I've never heard of that.

Edit: My Googlefu shows it's real! Mind blown https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alpha-gal-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20428608

Only for red meat though.

What the hell man. As if I didn't already fear ticks enough. That sounds like one hell of a thing to adjust to

It tends to effect people differently, and not everyone who gets bit by it ends up not being able to eat meat. Some folks go on without being effected and are just fine. However, my sister got hit really hard by it. She can't eat meat *period*. Not beef, not pork, not chicken, not even fish. So every time we go out some place and they have vegetarian options, she's got to make clear that it can't be cooked on any surface that's had meat cooked on it or she'll be laid up in bed for about a 24 hour period.

Now, it's just the muscle tissue that she's affected by. In theory it shouldn't matter that someone has cooked meat on the grill or pan as blood and fats are okay. Heck, if someone ordered a bucket of KFC, in theory, she should be able to pull and Eric Cartman and eat the skin off all the chickens just fine. In practice... not so much. There's been a few times where after a lengthy explanation about the tick and why the food needs to avoid being cooked in the same thing meat has been cooked in that the folks at the restaurant gave us their assurances and shortly there after she's in bed in pain till it gets through her system. So it's pretty much a case of playing it as safe as possible.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
This has been known since before it even came out of it's testing regions by anyone who paid attention, there were news stories on it.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
100% WHOPPER®, 0% Beef

A number of rats died in the testing of the burger.

That's a kick ass slogan.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Unless burger King is touting it as vegan then this is ridiculous.
Not only did Burger King never say it's vegan, the Impossible team that created the meat gave a statement saying these burgers aren't really intended to be vegan; they are for people who want to consume less meat. The market they want to sell these to isn't vegans or vegetarians, it's meat-eaters who want to eat less animal meat.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of absurd imo. Muslim people eating fish or non meat foods at restaurants that's cooked on the same stove or oil as non halal meat for hundreds of years. Dont see us complaining or suing. it is what it is. First world problem.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
They don't do those on seperate grills? That's dumb. Of course vegans want nothing to do with a beef grill.
Not a vegan but i know quite a few and they want nothing to do with that.

edit: but if they have a warning about this that is clear and visible then... hey.
They should have cooked it in the microwave
Yeah that was their next option. That's disgusting. A burger from a microwave, haha.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Well, Subway folks at my local Subway use different implements, gloves and surfaces when handling vegetables etc vs meats and cheese to prevent cross-contamination for both health, religious and personal beliefs like Veganism. So, yeah Burger King should be providing a sperate griddle.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They don't do those on seperate grills? That's dumb. Of course vegans want nothing to do with a beef grill.
why? why would i as a vegan care if it has been cooked on a beef grill?
if it was for religious reasons i'd understand but other than that i couldn't care less. it just produces more waist.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
why? why would i as a vegan care if it has been cooked on a beef grill?
if it was for religious reasons i'd understand but other than that i couldn't care less. it just produces more waist.
I think my vegan friends just don't want ANYTHING to do with anything that relates to killing animals.
Not in the same pan, not handled with he same spoons, etc. It's a general principle of them. I thought most vegans share that.
Maybe vegans in this thread are answering this question. I'm not a vegan.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
As far as I'm aware that notice has been on the website and app since they launched the Impossible Whopper. I definitely remember seeing it early on, I got one within the first few days it was available.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think my vegan friends just don't want ANYTHING to do with anything that relates to killing animals.
Not in the same pan, not handled with he same spoons, etc. It's a general principle of them. I thought most vegans share that.
then they wouldn't go in to BK in the first place. i personally think that wanting different pans or grills to be used for vegan food is dumb and doens't help the cause. a page back we discussed that peta (of all places) has a very reasonable write up why.

We discourage vegans from grilling waiters at restaurants about micro-ingredients in vegetarian foods (e.g., a tiny bit of a dairy product in the bun of a veggie burger). Doing so makes being vegan seem difficult and dogmatic to your friends and to restaurant staff, thus discouraging them from going vegan themselves (which really hurts animals). And we urge vegans not to insist that their food be cooked on equipment separate from that used to cook meat; doing so doesn't help any additional animals, and it only makes restaurants less inclined to offer vegan choices (which, again, hurts animals).

I could have sworn this was known that it was cooked without special request on the same grill
it was and they are very upfront about it.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
then they wouldn't go in to BK in the first place. i personally think that wanting different pans be used for vegan food is dumb and doens't help the cause. a page back we discussed that peta (of all places) has a very reasonable write up why.

it was and they are very upfront about it.
Well again, although i eat way less meat these days, i'm no vegan. So i personally couldn't care less.
This subject was on the radio the other day and the presenter also said she wouldn't eat anything from a grill that had meat on it.
Maybe then don't go to a BK in the first place, i agree. But it's still a principle they have and uphold. At leats most of the vegans i know.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

So why are they going to BK then?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the impossible whopper is prided on being vegan and they ask if you want cheese or not.

it's deceptive to say the least.

for the record, white castle's impossible sliders ARE cooked on a separate cook top.

The impossible whopper comes with mayo by default, how is it prided on being vegan.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
What's the end game here? Let's say this guy wins and Burger Kings says it's not worth it to cook these vegan patties anymore. Is it worth it in the end to take vegan options away from people who may have been converted just because it's not a 100% pure vegan experience. I think that is ridiculous.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
So why are they going to BK then?
Most of them don't as far as i know.
Neither do i but i just prefer better burgers.

or any restaurant that serves meat really. make no sense to me to be a stickler about using different equipment if it's purely for ethical reasons.
No but apparently it makes sense to them.

Anyway, if there is a clear warning for this in the BK, then how can they sue?

Last edited:

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
What's the end game here? Let's say this guy wins and Burger Kings says it's not worth it to cook these vegan patties anymore. Is it worth it in the end to take vegan options away from people who may have been converted just because it's not a 100% pure vegan experience. I think that is ridiculous.
Many Vegan organizations that have the goal of ending animal suffering have the same opinion.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
Okay, I can tell lots of you never worked at BK, so here's the basics:

BK does not have a "grill". They have a broiler - a large piece of machinery that turns gas into flame to cook the meat. They are huge, they are unwieldy, and they are VERY costly. So no, they can't just "have a separate grill".

This whole thing sounds like an Obnoxious Vegan (tm) trying to be a martyr for the Obnoxious Vegan (tm) cause by not reading a plainly-stated fact.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
If anything, it might taste better if cooked in the same grill you cook meat on. Which isn't a bad thing unless you're vegan, but then the option is there, if one were to ask.

The best argument that can be gleaned from this is that it was openly assumed it wouldn't be, so I don't think this person has a real case...

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I can tell lots of you never worked at BK, so here's the basics:

BK does not have a "grill". They have a broiler - a large piece of machinery that turns gas into flame to cook the meat. They are huge, they are unwieldy, and they are VERY costly. So no, they can't just "have a separate grill".

This whole thing sounds like an Obnoxious Vegan (tm) trying to be a martyr for the Obnoxious Vegan (tm) cause by not reading a plainly-stated fact.
Haha. Thanx teach.
Yeah these things are pretty big.

How much demand is there for vegan burgers at the BK anyway? Maybe they actually CAN grill it on an actual grill if the demand is low.

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way this is an honest complaint, no vegan I've ever met would A. Buy a burger from a chain without checking the small print, B. Eat anything without thinking about where it's being prepared.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, you can't cook "vegan" food on the same area you cook meat.

Did you read the peta article posted multiple times in this thread?

And we urge vegans not to insist that their food be cooked on equipment separate from that used to cook meat; doing so doesn't help any additional animals, and it only makes restaurants less inclined to offer vegan choices (which, again, hurts animals).

But again, it's besides the point, they don't say that it's vegan.