• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
What if Burger King did the sensible thing and didn't cook non meat patties on the same surface as meat patties?

Like, why are you depending Burger King? You want someone with health risks to have to sue in order for the issue to be taken seriously? I bet your response then would just be "don't eat at Burger King"

Like, why can't you just hold a massive corporation accountable? Why is that so hard?

If you have health risks and you go in to eat at BK, I think it's reasonable to put it on the customer to make sure of what they're getting. This isn't advertised as vegan. It's a meatless patty.

Like someone else said earlier, if the end goal is to get BK to not bother with meatless patties because of some very loud minority, then go right ahead. But I don't see it as bootlicking or excusing the corporation or anything like that.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
User Banned (3 Weeks): inflammatory comparison and accusation against other members, recently banned for identical behaviour; history of infractions for hostility and inflammatory accusations.
If you have health risks and you go in to eat at BK, I think it's reasonable to put it on the customer to make sure of what they're getting. This isn't advertised as vegan. It's a meatless patty.

Like someone else said earlier, if the end goal is to get BK to not bother with meatless patties because of some very loud minority, then go right ahead. But I don't see it as bootlicking or excusing the corporation or anything like that.
Lol "well if you tell us not to be shitty then we'll just go back to when things were worse and it'll be all your fault"

straight out of the alt right playbook. I can't.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no. They never advertised as being vegan nor being prepared in a vegetarian setting.

The whole idea behind this thing is to reduce your meat intake. Not to provide a pure meatless experience.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
They still kill waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less animals then the meat industry.

So if you care about PETA so much, why support an entire industry with the sole purpose of torturing, mutilation and murder of animals?

Also you ignored their link to PETAs explination for why their kill numbers are so high.
I don't care about PETA so much, just that people are ignorant enough to actually believe PETA cares about animals. They are a money make scheme, the feed on people want to help, but kill animals instead of helping them. Do you have any idea how many species would be extinct today if they weren't domesticated? PETA doesn't care. PETA would rather they be extinct.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I've never seen anywhere it stating the impossible burger was a vegan burger.

And shit like this is why. It's advertised as plant-based, because nutjobs like this have completely tainted the vegan name for the general public.

Can we bookmark this for the next time someone says the "fundamentalist vegan" is a strawman?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Lol "well if you tell us not to be shitty then we'll just go back to when things were worse and it'll be all your fault"

straight out of the alt right playbook. I can't.

This is so stupid. Not everything is an alt right defense. Right now money is the driving force behind basically everything, and it probably always will be. BK saw a meatless avenue that was profitable for them. Even if the driving force is capitalism, I'll take it over the alternative. It's a great gateway for meatless alternatives, I've heard more people talking about it than ever. We don't have to coddle them, but let's not spit all over it and have them reconsider. Then where does that get us again?

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So if you care about PETA so much, why support an entire industry with the sole purpose of torturing, mutilation and murder of animals?
Yes, I was about to say this. I won't even research these assumptions because they support my position. If you find PETA abhorrent for killing animals, you'll have to find slaughterhouses worse by a factor of a million. I have yet to be conviced that the PETA hatred is not propaganda, because it sure looks like propaganda from here.

Sorry i should have been more clear, slaughterhouses or any other type of place that treat animals inhumanely and abuses then slaughter should, also, be shot into the sun
Sure, I would still argue that PETA does more good than harm, but your stance makes more sense to me now.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017

Also you ignored their link to PETAs explination for why their kill numbers are so high.

Thats whataboutism if i ever saw it. Plus i find it laughable that you would believe a press release from a company doing the slaughtering trying to justify why they do it. Imagine believing something like that if it were from the absolute worst slaughterhouse in the nation. Is there a lot of propaganda about peta? Sure, but, some of it stems from legitimate claims and concerns. That and it also does not help that i have an irrational hatred for animal abusers.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you are that passionate about veganism why are you going to any burger place. You are still supporting something that kills countless animals.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats whataboutism if i ever saw it. Plus i find it laughable that you would believe a press release from a company doing the slaughtering trying to justify why they do it. Imagine believing something like that if it were from the absolute worst slaughterhouse in the nation
Says the person that posted bullshit from an astroturf company funded by fast food companies.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Humans didn't consume legumes before Beyond Meat... okay....
I'm not an expert on the subject, but not every chemical in a plant is in the parts we actually eat, and the concentration also matters. It doesn't matter if we already consume it if the amount we would consume in other avenues is tiny compared to what we're consuming here

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I get why they would be upset, but

QNwEPby.png
dude lost already.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, my sister is vegan but only because she got bit by one of those ticks that kill your ability to process meat. If she has something vegetarian that's been cooked in the same cookware that meat product has been cooked in, she will get very sick for a 24 hour period. So yeah, if they're doing this, then she can't eat it as it's not going to vegetarian.
What the hell man. As if I didn't already fear ticks enough. That sounds like one hell of a thing to adjust to

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Unless burger King is touting it as vegan then this is ridiculous. Also if you really do care and have dietary limitations when eating out you make sure they are being met or go elsewhere. "Is this cooked on the same grill as the swine?" "Does this contain peanuts or can you ensure gloves will be changed when preparing my food?" "Is this made with vegetarian refried beans?"

I feel like a vegan would be in the habit of this most basic practice.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I'm not an expert on the subject, but not every chemical in a plant is in the parts we actually eat, and the concentration also matters. It doesn't matter if we already consume it if the amount we would consume in other avenues is tiny compared to what we're consuming here

The word already says it "plat derived heme", these plant based foods already contained heme that we consume.They just broke it down and extracted the heme in high numbers since plant based heme is very much like heme from flesh.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Whaaaat? You mean a person went to a fast food restaurant and it wasn't prepared exactly as they would have liked? Say it aint so!

C'mon. This person was 1000% less concerned with eating something cooked on a meat grill, and far more concerned with how much money they could eek out of this mistake.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
But if people don't buy them then people will claim there's no market?

I honestly don't think they're going for the vegan crowd (the one willing to support a burger chain). They're after people who are curious in trying an alternative to meat for whatever reason. I'm honestly not even sure "this thing tastes like meat but isn't" is an attractive thing for a vegan, is it?

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Humans didn't consume legumes before Beyond Meat... okay....

I don't know what your point is. The heme in the Impossible burger is supposed to be identical to the heme found in blood, but nevertheless it was artificially produced so some testing to ensure its safety was necessary. That isn't a formality for a bureaucratic sticker, it's a scientific endeavor with safety tests that are required by law to protect people.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Is he vegan for religious or secular reasons?

If religious, then maybe he has a case I can sympathize with, but it's still a bit silly. Like I can see someone whose faith decries eating beef thinking even having a bit of beef pass their lips might make them sinful or otherwise harming themselves.

If not... fuck off with this time wasting shit that gives actual, justified lawsuits, serious vegans, and environmentalists/animal rights activists a bad name. On an animal rights or environmental level, you already implicitly support unsustainable farming and other such practices by buying at BK or any fast food chain as big as BK anyway, so you ingesting like .1% of a beef patty isn't the problem here. On a dietary level, the amount of beef by-product shouldn't be enough to effect anyone with dietary restrictions that cause problems digesting beef- and as has been pointed out, the option to ask for it to be microwaved or the grill to be cleaned down before preparing the burger is there. It's also never been advertised as vegan. The burger is advertised as being made of 0% beef, not as being prepared with 0% beef.

The rat thing is unfortunate, I wish there was a better way to test this sort of thing.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, not going to verify all of the sources from a source posting obvious bullshit.

what ever makes you feel better about peta slaughtering helpless, adoptable, animals.

Edit - MSN, ABC, CNN, all sources on that link, but all are, in your eyes, fake news, because of one?

Last edited:

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
The word already says it "plat derived heme", these plant based foods already contained heme that we consume.They just broke it down and extracted the heme in high numbers since plant based heme is very much like heme from flesh.

the point is we didn't consume it for the heme. Are you just being difficult on purpose or are you really arguing the semantics? The whole point is that we are finally able to replicate to a fairly close degree, the flavor of meat. It absolutely is a revolution in the meatless industry.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Plant derived heme doesn't tell you which part of the plant it's in or how much is being used. Looking it up it seems it's in the root which I'm not sure if we eat? I mean for reference, we eat apples all the time but the seeds do contain a small amount of chemicals that can produce cyanide when they're chewed. It's just the concentration is low enough to not be an issue and we don't eat the seeds of an apple anyways

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
This is so stupid. Not everything is an alt right defense. Right now money is the driving force behind basically everything, and it probably always will be. BK saw a meatless avenue that was profitable for them. Even if the driving force is capitalism, I'll take it over the alternative. It's a great gateway for meatless alternatives, I've heard more people talking about it than ever. We don't have to coddle them, but let's not spit all over it and have them reconsider. Then where does that get us again?
You know what else motivates companies? Public image.

You know what doesn't motivate companies? People stanning for them.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Human volunteers, computer models, tissue and cell cultures... Don't sit there making me do your homework for you. There are alternatives but apparently a lot of corporations would rather just do the cheap thing and use animals instead.
Human volunteers will sue you if something goes wrong. Computer models aren't so complex that they can test food and neither are cell cultures. Testing on animals is the most reliable and effective way to test products.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
You know what else motivates companies? Public image.

You know what doesn't motivate companies? People stanning for them.

Nobody is stanning for them. People are saying given the landscape, this is about as good as we're gonna get. Not every single thing has to be "i refuse to support this because it's capitalism!". Unfortunately right now corporations are king, but this particular move- selling impossible meat at a fast food restaurant, is massively increasing awareness and it's getting tons of people just to try it when they normally wouldn't. We don't have to bend the knee to the corporation, but we also don't have to fish for lawsuits. I'm not a vegan, but I am vegatarian, and as such I know that I personally have to ask restaurants in general if it shares a stove with meat products. It takes literally one glance at the Advertisement for the impossible whopper to see that you can request it be cooked separately. They'll lose this lawsuit as again it's plainly apparent on the ads, and it's been said many times by BK themselves. I'll continue to hope the impossible whopper does well as well as the beyond sausage at Dunks. Oh boy I'm such a bootlicker. Gimme a break.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what ever makes you feel better about peta slaughtering helpless, adoptable, animals.

Edit - MSN, ABC, CNN, all sources on that link, but all are, in your eyes, fake news, because of one?
Those sources largely aren't about PETA killing animals (I don't see an MSN link though), they're mostly about the ridiculous ads PETA runs, which I largely agree with. It's the main reason I would never give them money, and prefer supporting organizations like Mercy for Animals or The Humane League.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Human volunteers, computer models, tissue and cell cultures... Don't sit there making me do your homework for you. There are alternatives but apparently a lot of corporations would rather just do the cheap thing and use animals instead.
What are computer models and tissue cultures supposed to do to tell you how a product or drug interacts with all of the complex systems of a living body?

And we do use human volunteers, just after we've used animal test subjects to determine a dose range that is mostly safe/unlikely to kill the test subject.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
This has been pretty standard practice at any fast food place that offers non-meat burgers.

I dunno. I see someone wanting to know up-front, but filing a lawsuit because your burger may have had a handful of molecules of beef fat on it seems excessive.
Yeah, I knew someone who was began not by choice, but because she had some kind of animal protein allergy. In her case I could understand if that small trace was enough to set her off, she'd have a case. Otherwise the just seems frivolous.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
i don't see why this would bother me but i actually knew this anyway, it's not like they hide it.

yeah this is how i feel.

As others have said, FUCK PETA, but they're completely right here. Again money is the driving force behind most things. It could be a big evil corporation, or it could be a mom and pop restaurant that's already being pushed to the brink, if it makes their job more of a headache they'll probably opt out. So again, I'm excited the impossible whopper exists and hope that beyond strikes a deal with mcdonalds after their test run.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
When I worked at a sub shop we only cleared/cleaned a section of grill for vegetarian options when the customer asked, and enough asked that it was obvious many if not most vegetarians that care about this do indeed ask. Hard to imagine the plaintiff would have just trusted the restaurant on this, and with a really new menu item no less.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Nobody is stanning for them. People are saying given the landscape, this is about as good as we're gonna get. Not every single thing has to be "i refuse to support this because it's capitalism!". Unfortunately right now corporations are king, but this particular move- selling impossible meat at a fast food restaurant, is massively increasing awareness and it's getting tons of people just to try it when they normally wouldn't. We don't have to bend the knee to the corporation, but we also don't have to fish for lawsuits. I'm not a vegan, but I am vegatarian, and as such I know that I personally have to ask restaurants in general if it shares a stove with meat products. It takes literally one glance at the Advertisement for the impossible whopper to see that you can request it be cooked separately. They'll lose this lawsuit as again it's plainly apparent on the ads, and it's been said many times by BK themselves. I'll continue to hope the impossible whopper does well as well as the beyond sausage at Dunks. Oh boy I'm such a bootlicker. Gimme a break.
Behind every moment of progress in history is someone saying "this is as good as we're gonna get"