• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
To all the people in this thread who judge "vegans" based on this: you would not characterize anyone who is an asshole while he holds a hot-dog or a hamburger in his head while being an asshole as a "crazy meat-eater", right? And yet, this is THE place that condones preconceptions and judgements of entire groups based on small anecdotal experiences, so go figure.
Hey it happens with religion and religious groups all the time here. Welcome to the club I say.

I also say anyone calling meat eating "genocide" is ignorant. So I kinda don't feel bad for the negative attention.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
To all the people in this thread who judge "vegans" based on this: you would not characterize anyone who is an asshole while he holds a hot-dog or a hamburger in his head while being an asshole as a "crazy meat-eater", right? And yet, this is THE place that condones preconceptions and judgements of entire groups based on small anecdotal experiences, so go figure.

Wait, Trump loves meat... so can I use Trump to condemn all meat eaters now? :D

INST

Nov 2, 2017
For a place that prides itself on being so woke on so many social issues (race, gender, class etc.), it is mind boggling to see the level of ignorance portrayed in this thread (and others). Fuck the animals.

Calves being separated from their moms after birth because your cereal needs something good to wash it down with;
Said moms known to be upset (to put it lightly) over this for weeks;
Putting flaps over the mouths of calves so they can't drink the milk;
The circumstances in slaughterhouses for pigs (and other animals) where they are shaken by fear, living in dirty environments, beaten, having their tail cut as newborns and countless other torture they have to go thru just so you have your bacon every morning;
The systematic humiliation and slaughter of these animals, even the so-called "bio" meat and "free-range" bullshit. The tired argument of "humane killing" also, all BS in order for pieces of shits to keep doing what they like;
Male chicken babies tossed out like trash because they are useless;

But hey:

Don't confront us, not the way to get people on your side! By that same logic: don't rant at Nazis. Certainly won't help to be confrontational. We'll just have to tell the animals they are shit outta luck because we asked people nicely but Jack really likes milk in his coffee and hot wings for lunch. These same people acting all high and mighty whenever there is a thread on poachers or cat/dog abuse but love arguing in the threads on best fast food franchise. Hypocrites.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
All the climate change news that has been bad all year will be even worse all 2019, and some of the problems in the thread will post in each of the new threads about it saying surely one of the countries in the process of going full-nazi like the US will do something about it eventually if given more and more second chances that are by no means even close to being merely their second chance

Humanity had its chance. No delaying the inevitable for much longer anymore

It's always been as fraudulent an excuse as "you know I would go vegan if not for cheese or milk!" Like vegan cheese isn't a thing in my fridge I obtained from my local grocery store for $2 less than regular cheese. Like almond milk isn't a thing in my fridge I obtained from my local grocery store for $1.50 less than dairy cow milk. Like it was ever an all-or-nothing decision even putting aside these alternatives, like someone cutting their own personal meat consumption by even 15% is not 15% more beneficial to the planet than their current 0% contribution.
What do you feel about back to the land types or hunters? Their CO2 blueprint is a non-factor. Moreover, they are also culling overpopulated species.

I get the argument from a factory farming perspective. I do believe we eat way too much meat.

Incidentally, Jona criticized a culture that does eat meat, but traditional has eaten meat in smaller portions and mostly as a condiment than a main dish. Unlike Western sized meat portions, which are the centerpiece of the dish. Shows he doesn't know shit about food.

So while I do get concerns and they're huge. There are many ways to skin this cat, no pun intended! If you can't people completely stop eating meat, what about looking at ways to help people reduce their intake as well.

My issue is this absolutism that guides some vegan circles. In any kind of change management, you don't just have one strategy, but many. Here the strategy being to completely get everyone off all animal products. It's not realistic. It's also not empathetic to the hundred of thousands of years human cultures have consumed animal products.

MrToughPants

Oct 30, 2017
bBqQTDP.jpg

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Maybe he's nutty, and I'm a meat eater, but is it racist or otherwise unacceptable to say some dishes don't look good? Tons of delicious foods all over the world aren't very photogenic.

I think the main issue that this person lives in either the UK or the US and specifically uses a dish from another culture more then anything.
If he was from the UK he could use hagis or some shit, and in the U.S... well everything out of US chain restaurants really.

Nov 14, 2017
It's nearly 2019. You're sitting in front of a device that can summon all of the proven benefits of a vegan diet for the planet, your health, and for animals, to your fingertips.

If you choose to disregard that because of a tweet and a forum post made you big mad, then that's on you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's nearly 2019. You're sitting in front of a device that can summon evidence of all the horrors of genocide throughout history.

If you choose to disregard that and continue thinking that farming of animals is the same as genocide, then that's on you 🤷‍♀️

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
All the climate change news that has been bad all year will be even worse all 2019, and some of the problems in the thread will post in each of the new threads about it saying surely one of the countries in the process of going full-nazi like the US will do something about it eventually if given more and more second chances that are by no means even close to being merely their second chance

Humanity had its chance. No delaying the inevitable for much longer anymore

It's always been as fraudulent an excuse as "you know I would go vegan if not for cheese or milk!" Like vegan cheese isn't a thing in my fridge I obtained from my local grocery store for $2 less than regular cheese. Like almond milk isn't a thing in my fridge I obtained from my local grocery store for $1.50 less than dairy cow milk. Like it was ever an all-or-nothing decision even putting aside these alternatives, like someone cutting their own personal meat consumption by even 15% is not 15% more beneficial to the planet than their current 0% contribution.

I agree 100% that people need to reduce their meat intake. I have discovered loads of great food that doesn't have meat in it once I started looking for it. Its removing it completely from my diet that I can't personally bring myself to do.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Eating meat or dairy doesn't make someone an asshole or a piece of shit. Food deserts, for example, are a real thing and they effect people's ability to get access to even the most basic of fresh produce. Rather than being willfully destructive it usually just means they're poor and in a bad location.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Could be a mock meat, but to the left looks like diced ham.
Regardless, this looks MILES tastier then the picture from the tweet.

From personal experience though looks =/= taste.
It's kinda like with humans, not every ugly person is horrible and not every beautiful person is great.
I thought so too but I believe it's some kind of veg (the lady posting it and the place are great for Vegans and I really doubt she would of meat).

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
It's racist to say that food looks unappealing now?

I must be racist then because the food he posted does look grim, it's a horrible pallid colour.

If someone posts a picture of some awful dry pizza and you criticise it does that make you xenophobic too?

I'm getting so tired of the vegans vs carnivores debate, every time a vegan post pops up on my social media I see the same comments and 'jokes' and antagonistic remarks over and over again.

A lot of people also overlook the impact on humans living around these farms:

It kinda seems like the people in this clip have no idea what liquid manure/slurry is. They act as if its nuclear waste and not fertilizer. Yes, overfertilizing can lead to higher nitrate levels in ground water which lowers the overall water quality. I just don't know why they gotta act like this is Chernobyl.

Overall, the environmental impact of the necessary food production to support these kind of farms is much higher than that of the waste produced.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
It's a complex issue. Jona, being blind to his privilege, did't see how paternalistic he came off attacking another culture's dish. Moreover, he also showed his ignorance. You can make vegan hotspots.

He could've easily made his point without attacking an ethnic dish that could easily be made vegan. It's also how he attacked it. Dirty water? Come on.

Thanks.

At least I can see that there is a more valid viewpoint here than "how dare this insufferable tofu-consuming vegan make fun of our meat."

I don't want to appear unnecessarily provocative, not least because I enjoy dishes from Asian cuisines and elsewhere that look worse than the picture Jona posted. My grandmother used to serve a dish she referred to as "kittens' britches" when I was a toddler. I only later learned that this was her name for tripe, the lining of the stomach of an ox or a sheep.

I don't see any reason to describe an attack on a funny looking meat dish as paternalistic or privileged. That this fellow appears to have been highlighting quite common attacks on vegan dishes seems to me evidence that he harboured no particular animus against any culture.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I agree 100% that people need to reduce their meat intake. I have discovered loads of great food that doesn't have meat in it once I started looking for it. Its removing it completely from my diet that I can't personally bring myself to do.

I'm similar, never interested in vegan food per se but i sometimes go to local vegan spots and just pick random stuff (none of it really jumps off the menu at me, unfortunately) and it's usually pretty tasty. I will almost likely never be able or willing to fully give up meat though... Publix fried chicken will ensure that

One thing I don't like at all is the "meat substitute" thing that some dishes/restaurants do where they try to fake a meat dish. It never works imo, just do your own thing lol

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Some asshole: Look at this disgusting Chinese dish that doesn't require meat. It is an example of the disgusting things that meat eaters consume, which is genocide.

Asians: Why you gotta be racist?

People who are not Asian: This is not racist.

Meat-eaters: lol vegans. Guys like this give you guys a bad name. lol bacon. This post made me want to eat meat.

Vegans, who are also armchair psychologists: Woah, woah, why so aggressive, thin skinned meat-eaters? You act with such hostility because deep down you know are you terrible animal murderers who hate the earth and probably vote for Trump, who is also a meat eater.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks.

At least I can see that there is a more valid viewpoint here than "how dare this insufferable tofu-consuming vegan make fun of our meat."

I don't want to appear unnecessarily provocative, not least because I enjoy dishes from Asian cuisines and elsewhere that look worse than the picture Jona posted. My grandmother used to serve a dish she referred to as "kittens' britches" when I was a toddler. I only later learned that this was her name for tripe, the lining of the stomach of an ox or a sheep.

I don't see any reason to describe an attack on a funny looking meat dish as paternalistic or privileged. That this fellow appears to have been highlighting quite common attacks on vegan dishes seems to me evidence that he harboured no particular animus against any culture.
Why do you think the reactions were so strong from those Asian descent? He absolutely shitted on their culinary heritage. But again, he's blinded by two things. His privilege and his arrogance.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm similar, never interested in vegan food per se but i sometimes go to local vegan spots and just pick random stuff (none of it really jumps off the menu at me, unfortunately) and it's usually pretty tasty. I will almost likely never be able or willing to fully give up meat though... Publix fried chicken will ensure that

One thing I don't like at all is the "meat substitute" thing that some dishes/restaurants do where they try to fake a meat dish. It never works imo, just do your own thing lol

Yeah I'm the same way. I tried vegetarian versions of some of my favorite stuff and some were good (Buffalo Cauliflower for example was fantastic), but not as good as the real thing. Also some of the meat substitutes just do not do it for me. Usually the texture more than the taste, but still. I do go out of my way to avoid meat every now and then in order to mix up my diet though.

Publix is not near me but everytime I hear about it I really wanna try some. Its too unanimously praised to not be good.

maxglute

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The tweeted picture has a split pot where one half can easily be vegetarian stock with vegetarian options. So we're just left with a person comparing a traditional Chinese dish to waste water.

While I still sway towards stupidity over maliciousness, the equivalent ignorant comparison would be to compare a bowl of chicken noodle soup next to a bowl of noodle soup without chicken in it. It's a stupid comparison, and if one is not charitable, the tweet was just an ignorant and arguably racist comparison at the expense of Asian culture.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Bacon is overrated. I say this as an omnivore.

Yeah. Bacon obviously has many enthusiastic adherents, some of whom display commendable zeal in spreading the word about their preferred food. But let's be realistic: it's perfectly possible to live a normal life, raise children if you like, and contribute in a meaningful and valuable way to human welfare, without enjoying the taste and texture of bacon.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah. Bacon obviously has many enthusiastic adherents, some of whom display commendable zeal in spreading the word about their preferred food. But let's be realistic: it's perfectly possible to live a normal life, raise children if you like, and contribute in a meaningful and valuable way to human welfare, without enjoying the taste and texture of bacon.

If I had to I probably could cut out Bacon without much fuss if I was being honest with myself. The main things I couldn't possibly live without though is chicken and fish. No way could I ever drop those entirely. Too many of my favorite foods require them.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
I don't see any reason to describe an attack on a funny looking meat dish as paternalistic or privileged.

I think it's silly to refer to something as a "meat dish" when it doesn't require meat, and it being "funny looking" or "disgusting" isn't due to the inclusion of meat.

He chose something "alien" that he thought would elicit an "oh, gross" response from an ignorant western audience, possibly because he couldn't actually find an example of a more familiar dish for which meat is a primary and necessary component that people would think looked disgusting.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Who cares if it's a chinese dish? He wasn't calling out chinese people.
Also, lots of people object to chiense dishes, like shark fin soup, eating dogs etc. so I don't think it's an off-limits subject anyway.

Croco

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For a place that prides itself on being so woke on so many social issues (race, gender, class etc.), it is mind boggling to see the level of ignorance portrayed in this thread (and others). Fuck the animals.

Calves being separated from their moms after birth because your cereal needs something good to wash it down with;
The circumstances in slaughterhouses for pigs (and other animals) where they are shaken by fear, living in dirty environments, beaten, having their tail cut as newborns and countless other torture they have to go thru just so you have your bacon every morning;
The systematic humiliation and slaughter of these animals, even the so-called "bio" meat and "free-range" bullshit. The tired argument of "humane killing" also, all BS in order for pieces of shits to keep doing what they like;

But hey:

Don't confront us, not the way to get people on your side! By that same logic: don't rant at Nazis. Certainly won't help to be confrontational. We'll just have to tell the animals they are shit outta luck because we asked people nicely but Jack really likes milk in his coffee and hot wings for lunch. These same people acting all high and mighty whenever there is a thread on poachers or cat/dog abuse but love arguing in the threads on best fast food franchise. Hypocrites.

It took 6 pages for someone to bring Nazis into the discussion. I'm disappointed.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Does it really matter? Every country has very least one disgusting looking traditional éntree. Usually even the locals know that some of their food are completely disgusting to forgeiners and they get a laugh out of it when they see forgeiners trying them out.

edit. also, would be racist to call whale meat hot pot disgustin? Considering how current the issue is now.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I'm Chinese and it kind of does look like shit tbh. I can see why people wouldn't find the look of it appetizing even if it does taste good.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: low effort trolling

But hey:

fde.gif

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Does it really matter? Every country has very least one disgusting looking traditional éntree. Usually even the locals know that some of their food are completely disgusting to forgeiners and they get a laugh out of it when they see forgeiners trying them out.

edit. also, would be racist to call whale meat hot pot disgustin? Considering how current the issue is now.
Hotpot doesn't look disgusting, though. Unless you find most soups disgusting. It's just an immature and classless way to describe food. That's how uncultured teenagers talk. I would not expect an adult to call well established dishes disgusting.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Hotpot doesn't look disgusting, though. Unless you find most soups disgusting. It's just an amateurish and classless way to describe food.
I agree personally with you.

Admitedly, aesthetics are subjective and I could see how vegan seeing meat in soup would make it disgusting. Same as most westerners would find dish with dog meat disgusting.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since when is it racist to criticize another culture's food? Both sides are being unreasonable here, but I side with the vegan because , for example, there are cultures where they still ritualistically kidnap brides and pressure them into marriage, and I don't think any decent person should condone this. Yes, it's their culture, but if you think it's wrong, then you should speak up.

Anyway, the hotpot sounds delicious.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Can any Vegans comment on how they feel when they see another Vegan make a scene like this?

I would be really interested to know.

I can only go from my own perspective, but I hate it. It gives credibility to a lot of bullshit that many believe about the way vegans interact with people and it's just not accurate or acceptable.

I'm vegan, my wife is vegan but our children are not. The way that we have always looked at it is that it's a choice individuals have to make for themselves. I do think there are a lot of misconceptions about aspects of veganism born out of ignorance but that's true of many things.

Then again I also feel groups like PETA are operated by loonies.

I would eat a vegan but they're low on protein.

This is not an accurate statement.

VikingJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Since when is it racist to criticize another culture's food? Both sides are being unreasonable here, but I side with the vegan because , for example, there are cultures where they still ritualistically kidnap brides and pressure them into marriage, and I don't think any decent person should condone this. Yes, it's their culture, but if you think it's wrong, then you should speak up.

Anyway, the hotpot sounds delicious.
Except for the fact that meat is not something integral to the identity of hot pot. Hot pot is literally broth cooked in a hot pot where you cook ingredients in the broth. The ingredients can be anything ranging from noodles, eggs, cheese, meats, vegetables, mushrooms, and so on. After a while of cooking, you take it out and eat it as it absorbs the flavor of the broth. You can make an entirely vegan/vegetarian hot pot set and plenty do actually do it!

The major issue is that the demonization of Asian cuisine has often been used as another way to otherize Asian people and paint them as uncivilized. See the scare over MSG flavoring and the constant "jokes" you see Asian people get about how they eat dogs and cats. Many Asian posters in this thread have chimed in with their personal experiences about how they had to deal with their food getting mocked growing up. Many Asian cultures are also deeply proud of their cuisines and cuisines are a major part of their culture as it is often a vital part of spending time with family and friends as well as the holidays. Hot pot in particular is a major example of this because it is a very social food as everyone sits around a table and chats while they cook the food in the pot. It is a big reason why the argument of "it is just food" misses the point entirely.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The person said he thinks a dish looks disgusting/not yummy and compared it to dishwater, that leads people to point at him saying he's racist?

Is it racist when I say Schnitzel looks like frozen puke? Or steak medium rare is disgusting to me?

Its unasked for and unnecessary comment, just like all those comments about vegetarian and vegan food, but racist?

Dumb hot takes beget dumb hot takes

Love hot pot. We actually had it for Christmas as my entire wife's family is here from Shanghai.

It's not the most appetizing looking meal after thirty minutes or so.

But I'm not gonna lead a conversation with "DAE think hot pot looks like shit?"

Cause I have good manners. But also it just looks like soup? Like does vegan dude not understand that soup can be vegan?

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017

I think it does. Why should he dictate how Asians react?

Status
Not open for further replies.