• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Everytime someone says "I thought about going veggie, but meat is just so goddamn good" I die a little bit (a lot) inside.
Giant Bomb is really the epitome of this. Just again during a live thing with "is ham white meat? red meat? I thought about giving up red meat but I don't know what it is" - it just tells you a lot. They don't have any eating culture period, or even know what the hell they are eating besides "meat"
And then the typical "Yeaah, you need a lot of veggies to fill your stomach."

So tiresome...
Sorry for the bump and the rant, heh.
There a bizarre general obsession among white men to never pay attention to what they eat, like it's a competition to see who pays the least attention. It's the same small selection of unseasoned food they "can't live without" day in and day out. Like bruhs really out here telling me they can't go a week without their favourite unseasoned overcooked pork chops. This really is a world where their primary source of culture is the Joe Rogan podcast...

Anyways don't be sorry for the bump, it's a good thread to bump 😈

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried the Myokos pourable mozzarella? It's a totally weird and out of the box thinking on making melty vegan cheese. My partner and I have been a fan of some of this stuff for a while, the flavor is my fave of most of the vegan cheeses and they tend to be a little more pure in ingredients (nut milk forward with not so much of the starches and oils added). Anyway, they invented pourable mozz intended for pizza and it's slightly amazing? We tried it out with making our own pizzas and it found the key was to really cook it until it browns then it becomes stretchy and very cheese-like. We had some leftover so I dumped some into an impromptu broccoli cauliflower casserole thingy and it made the whole dish creamy and delicious. So good.

I get really excited by all of the plant based innovations that have been coming fast and furious. Anyone come across anything else new or exciting lately?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Ive been experimenting with bread crumb/powdered parmesian substitutes.

Pumpkin seeds blended with onion/garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and oregano is the best combo so far. Alot better nutrition than breadcrumbs.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
There a bizarre general obsession among white men to never pay attention to what they eat, like it's a competition to see who pays the least attention. It's the same small selection of unseasoned food they "can't live without" day in and day out. Like bruhs really out here telling me they can't go a week without their favourite unseasoned overcooked pork chops. This really is a world where their primary source of culture is the Joe Rogan podcast...

Anyways don't be sorry for the bump, it's a good thread to bump 😈
And it's like "I can't give up the amazing food" and all they eat is burgers, chicken, tacos, pizza.
Wow, amazing variety there.

I mean if you have a brother that's fully plant based and enjoy every food he makes, but then go "The food he makes is so amazing. I wish I could do it,... and it's probably better for the environment and my health too. But I am too lazy" It's just... ugh.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
If meat tasted so good they wouldnt need to drown it in salt, fat, and sugar to enjoy it.

Meat is correlated to increased eating because of this, it makes you think "this would taste alot better if i deep fried it" as opposed to plants which are much more likely to be eaten without such methods, thats one of many reasons why vegetarians live longer than ominivores and vegans live longer than vegetarians.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
And it's like "I can't give up the amazing food" and all they eat is burgers, chicken, tacos, pizza.
Wow, amazing variety there.

I mean if you have a brother that's fully plant based and enjoy every food he makes, but then go "The food he makes is so amazing. I wish I could do it,... and it's probably better for the environment and my health too. But I am too lazy" It's just... ugh.

It is ironic, that when I ate meat, it was so basic of a diet, once I went Vegan, my food horizon expanded greatly. You technically "can" eat more variety of food as a meat eater, but the truth is the vast majority don't. I would have never had things like barberries, amla, fenugreek, black cumin, matcha, purple sweet potatoes, groats, rye berries, barley. Even the more commonly know foods but yet I still never had them (or rarely) like curry, cumin, turmeric, kale, spinach, arugula, flaxseed, hemp seeds or even something like balsamic vinegar are things I have pretty much eat daily now, and they're delicious. I'm completely addicted to balsamic vinegar's, so many varieties. I think I could eat dirt if it had balsamic vinegar on it.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
It is ironic, that when I ate meat, it was so basic of a diet, once I went Vegan, my food horizon expanded greatly. You technically "can" eat more variety of food as a meat eater, but the truth is the vast majority don't. I would have never had things like barberries, amla, fenugreek, black cumin, matcha, purple sweet potatoes, groats, rye berries, barley. Even the more commonly know foods but yet I still never had them (or rarely) like curry, cumin, turmeric, kale, spinach, arugula, flaxseed, hemp seeds or even something like balsamic vinegar are things I have pretty much eat daily now, and they're delicious. I'm completely addicted to balsamic vinegar's, so many varieties. I think I could eat dirt if it had balsamic vinegar on it.
Good point. Instead it's chicken and broccoli…every…day… sounds great….

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
For me I really got into both mezze, Ethiopian and Japanese food. Mezze (Makdous and Lebanese moussaka is so good) especially, I could probably live in my local Middle Eastern stores. Even as a Veggie kid it was pretty much pizza and pasta. I probably maxed out on 5 portions of veg a week as a Veggie now I'm like how many can I stuff in to every dish.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, theres tens of thousands of edible plants, but most people eat the same 3 animals all the time and think vegans eat a super restrictive diet.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I'm gonna rant about Giant Bomb again, lol.
They have this call-in show where they play voice-mails and one caller asks for favorite milk, his being oat-milk.
Then they all say "real milk" or "whole milk" despite one guy even being intolerant it seems. Then they try to understand what whole milk is and they have no idea. "isn't it cream?" -"what's coming out of the cow's boob?" uuggh.

And then Jeff, married to a vegan, rants about almond milk because it takes too much water to produce. Which is of course true, but come on...

Okay, rant off, lol.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Jeff is a fucking idiot tbh, almond milk takes more water then other plant based milk but is climate nuetral and takes waaaayyyyyyyy less water then bovine titty juice

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Also doesn't have the same cancer and obesity links that dairy milk does, anti biotic resistance, or feces pollution. It also doesn't rely on government subsidies.

There's really no logical or rational argument to be made for animal agriculture, it will always come down to "i like the way this tastes and i'm not going to give my taste buds the chance to adapt to anything else".

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Yeah lol, that shit is so damn nasty.
Dairy industry even tried to get plant based milks/yoghurts to not be allowed to use tetra packs because they are "CONFUUUUSING" to consumers

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through earth day comments on social media was a real bummer. Very unaggressive posts about celebrating our planet and any time a mere mention of eating more plants is mentioned you get comments like "OH YEAH, WELL IF YOU CARED ABOUT THE ENVIORNMENT THEN YOU'D STERELIZE YOURSELF!".

It's like a modest change to your diet = End human civilization as we know it.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
It's so depressing discussing it with mates with kids and they are like yeah but scientists will perfect lab grown meat. Mate we will be fine, ish. Our end of lives will be crap; you have two young kids and you acknowledge meat is contributing massively but can't give up that bacon butty.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Thats why i never mention meat alternatives like that, it gives people a false sense of security and an excuse not to do anything.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone ever asks I tell them it's a far in the distance product (And not one for Vegans necessarily but will help) but will not reduce the mass pollution caused by current factory farming in time. Not something I'd offer a solution or bring up but meat eaters I know seem to be relying on it hitting.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
"I'm buying used phones now but giving up bacon? Hahaha I won't eat grass!!!"

Not taking a peak in that thread but I bet I am not too far off, heh.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Any LA nerds have Mr. Charlie's?

goo.gl

Mr. Charlie’s · 612 N La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036

★★★★☆ · Vegan restaurant

Looks like most of their burgers are Impossible meat, which is a no-go for me. Something about what Impossible is doing makes me really nauseous; never had that with any other vegan patty. I know they did some genetic engineering to generate heme from a plant-based source generating large amounts of leghemoglobin, so maybe it's that but I'm not a scientist. What's frustrating is it seems that most vegan restaurants are just giving up on their own patties and using Impossible instead.

Honestly there's lots of similar Impossible-based burger joints popping up around LA, and this one doesn't seem to be doing much different. I would probably send folks to a Monty's over that -- sort of an In-and-Out vibe compared to Mr.Charlie's McD's. Good fries, all kinds of vegan shakes.

Flower Burger is a totally different kind of option. They're an Italian-based chain that recently opened their first U.S. restaurant in LA. Like a lot of European vegan food I've had, it tasted like it was a few years behind U.S. vegan food trends and sophistication. It wasn't very flavorful and definitely did not try to replicate the taste of real meat, as their patties avoid the heavy processing of the current popular patties. So for those looking for a more veggie-forward taste, this might be your place. And I only had their namesake burger so maybe the others are better. Visually they are eye-popping, so very Instagrammable.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like most of their burgers are Impossible meat, which is a no-go for me. Something about what Impossible is doing makes me really nauseous; never had that with any other vegan patty. I know they did some genetic engineering to generate heme from a plant-based source generating large amounts of leghemoglobin, so maybe it's that but I'm not a scientist. What's frustrating is it seems that most vegan restaurants are just giving up on their own patties and using Impossible instead.
That sucks. What about Beyond?

I like impossible but also rarely eat it. Most people like it but I agree it is a bit boring to have most use it and homogenize all vegan burgers.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. What about Beyond?

I like impossible but also rarely eat it. Most people like it but I agree it is a bit boring to have most use it and homogenize all vegan burgers.

Beyond is fine for me, but they're just doing a standard (and tasty) vegan patty without the weird genetic manipulation. I try to eat less of the processed vegan stuff these days in general and stick to tempeh and seitan. But I can't say no to a good spicy fried chickin sandwich.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Impossible destroyed a massive Vegan group as testing on rats (And killing them) and mixed opinions but UK group owner/admin glad don't have to deal with that. Beyond don't use the stuff and are fine (UK we have probably 10 or so Beyond likes too but Beyond are the best if double the price).

RMChoodie

Dec 27, 2021
American in Costa Rica

People trying to minimize my fiancés choice to be vegan and me going plant life (one cheat day a week if I want)
You guys miss out on so much right it sucks you can't have ________

My future wife
There are over 450,000 foods we eat daily

(Mic drop)

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Well there can still be idiots. One time shared photos of our plates, full of good stuff like dumpling and goulash with soy chunks, good looking stuff, even a bit meaty looking. Or our sweet potato Mac N Cheese.
We got comments like "that's rabbid food".
It made no sense at all, lol

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Well there can still be idiots. One time shared photos of our plates, full of good stuff like dumpling and goulash with soy chunks, good looking stuff, even a bit meaty looking. Or our sweet potato Mac N Cheese.
We got comments like "that's rabbid food".
It made no sense at all, lol
They must think they are so clever and funny for being the first humans ever to make this joke...

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
There's like 3 threads complaining about California's water shortage but also a thread worshipping burgers. I posted a graph showing the water consumption of animal agriculture dwarfing everything else but people ignored it and kept blaming lawns and almonds

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Is the square beyond meat ground beef package extremely soft? I was theeeees close to buying it on sale today but it felt so soft that I was turned off. It felt too weird and I was scared that it had gone bad or something lol.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Is the square beyond meat ground beef package extremely soft? I was theeeees close to buying it on sale today but it felt so soft that I was turned off. It felt too weird and I was scared that it had gone bad or something lol.
It's normally super soft in the fridge aisle, hard in the frozen aisle.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Every time a water shortage thread comes up

"We're doomed, there's literally nothing we can do"

Me: "You could eat less beef, a single burger patty is over 1000 gallons of water"

"Fucking almonds"

frustrated-pulling-hair.gif

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Or "I like my 1000l pool in my backyard"

Seriously. It's like every buffoon is buying a huge ass pool just to have it and maybe use it 5 times a year. It should be regulated.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The cognitive dissonance in that octopus thread is really crazy. "Wtf is wrong with you OP, thats cruel ! You're suppose to pay someone to kill it first".

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The cognitive dissonance in that octopus thread is really crazy. "Wtf is wrong with you OP, thats cruel ! You're suppose to pay someone to kill it first".

Yeah I did have a laugh at "I don't eat octopus at all, due to their intelligence." It's just such a stupid thing to say. As if Octopus are too smart to eat but cows, chickens, dogs, horses and any other animal are dumb so that's fine. Glad to know the only thing stopping some people from cannibalism is a basic education.

The only reason the topic exists is because of a scene in Season 3 of The Boys. I wouldn't pay it too much attention.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
this is worth a try (I'm UK based) - https://www.thevegetarianbutcher.co.uk/

their fake chicken and beef burgers are probably the best I've tried, going to try some their other range
I'm from Austria and their products are well available here. They even provide Austrian Burger King with the patties and nuggets for the vegan options.
I really do like their nuggets!

edit: I also had my first Beyond Burger a few days ago. It was an Italian (style) restaurant.

View: https://twitter.com/derFeef/status/1554458044091826178

It was very good, but I did not go crazy over the Beyond patty, it didn't taste more or less "meaty" as other options I would say.

Last edited:

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
this is worth a try (I'm UK based) - https://www.thevegetarianbutcher.co.uk/

their fake chicken and beef burgers are probably the best I've tried, going to try some their other range
They're good. Just to make everyone jealous they had 1.8kg boxes of the stuff for £2 at Heron a month or so ago (Anyone with one, check daily; getting me through cost of living stuff; Violife Mexican grated was a quid a pack last week, Koko Vegan cheese is currently 89p a block), I got 2 boxes, starting on the second tonight and a small handful has probably been used most days every day. (Also 28 of their Vegan hot dogs for £2 too).

Not all their range is Vegan, look out for eggs (The willies and burgers aren't). Their mince was £2 too but slight lack of freezer space.

image-2022-08-04-175140056.png

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I'm from Austria and their products are well available here. They even provide Austrian Burger King with the patties and nuggets for the vegan options.
I really do like their nuggets!
Weirdly the ones they sell in store contain egg but the ones they sell to places like Burger King do not.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Here it's not even mentioned as a "may contain" ingredient, guess it differs per country.
shop.billa.at

The Vegetarian Butcher Vegane Nuggets

The Vegetarian Butcher Vegane Nuggets online kaufen im BILLA Online Shop! ✔ frisch geliefert ✔ große Produktauswahl >> bestellen Sie jetzt!
Nuggets are fine (They had them on the cheap here too). It's the burger here. (They had the nuggets in massive catering bags on the cheap here too, I should of thrown the frozen veg out to make space). The burger is generally classed as plant based over Vegan as it's cooked with meat though. (Directly on the meat juices but the ingredients at BK outside of that contain no egg).

Doesn't look like they do them on that site. Although no egg in the Tesco ones, must be on the non Vegan catering packs that came in those massive boxes (Weirdly BK don't sell them, Heron often get discontinued stuff so hell knows). The willies in those boxes contain egg in the Tesco store.

The chicken stuff is great though, been having it on pizza, in noodles and planning to use it in fajitas next week.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Yeah BK here is a bit confusing, they do a "vegan" burger but then with regular mayonnaise, it's a bit riddling.
I am still curious to try the nuggets or vegan chicken burgers there.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
These are the ones with egg. Not going mad. https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/the-vegetarian-butcher-mc-burger/450954-664837-664838

But yeah the BK ones are the same, in the UK it's labelled as Plant Based and not Vegan as cooked with meat (Ingredients are fine) whilst they have a few other plant based things which are fine including chicken stuff and Vegan society approved. Run a Vegan group and we stay clear of letting Whopper posts in, whatever people think BK and the Vegan society don't think it's fine so staying out of that and won't eat it myself. Their fries are fine at least unlike KFC.