• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I am on the same page as you :) sorry if it didn't come across that way. I just meant I hope they find suitable vegan versions of the foods they enjoy (burgers, wings, etc)
Ah fair one :) With new stuff coming out all the time sure they will (I'd say roll on Veganuary but most of the best of the best products outside Beyond are from more niche seitan based smaller brands other than the big players/supermarkets (Still some excellent things coming from them mind)).

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I became vegan a few months ago, and it was a progressive transition: started with milk alternatives, moved on to vegan versions of foods I already ate, and now I'm trying to learn brand new recipes that don't directly replace old dishes - it is a bit of extra work, but I have been enjoying the process, never tried so many different things in such a short amount of time :)

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
I became vegan a few months ago, and it was a progressive transition: started with milk alternatives, moved on to vegan versions of foods I already ate, and now I'm trying to learn brand new recipes that don't directly replace old dishes - it is a bit of extra work, but I have been enjoying the process, never tried so many different things in such a short amount of time :)
Thats awesome! Welcome aboard friend!

nny

Oct 25, 2017
To contribute to the topic, as I get my feet wet, I have been playing around quite a bit with tofu scramble, and this is my current favorite, with peas, carrots and mushroom:

uROhDTP.jpg

Welcome nny, it's been a while! hope you're well. :)

Indeed it has :) Thank you so much, you as well!

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming you know of the black salt? It's good stuff (Interesting to add to pasta water too, makes for a slightly egg pasta flavour).

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend learning to do pad thai (w/veggies & (pre-marinaded) tofu), vegan palak paneer, green curry w/chickpeas and falafel.

Last edited:

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
My fiancé makes a tofu scramble (just made it today too), that taste eerily similar to the type of sausage crumble you'd get on a pizza. It's so good, think the fennel seed she uses is the key to it.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
My fiancé makes a tofu scramble (just made it today too), that taste eerily similar to the type of sausage crumble you'd get on a pizza. It's so good, think the fennel seed she uses is the key to it.
Mmm sounds good we should try adding fennel seeds. . The missus does like making tofu scramble. Usually just tumeric, black salt and spinach.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Here is her ingredient list:

1 block firm tofu
2 tablespoons of liquid aminos
1 tablespoon of tahini
2 tsp fennel seeds crushed
1.5 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup of sunflower seeds
1/2 cup yellow onion
3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast

375 F / 190 C for about 45 minutes in the oven.

She usually doubles it up as we usually go through it so quick.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming you know of the black salt? It's good stuff (Interesting to add to pasta water too, makes for a slightly egg pasta flavour).

Nope, never heard of it; I'll be sure to pick some up next time I go shopping!

In my scramble I've been starting by frying a bit of onion and garlic in olive oil, then using nutritional yeast, paprika, turmeric, garlic powder, black pepper, and a bit of soy milk and soy sauce near the end - I'll play around with some of the ingredients listed here as well :)

I recommend learning to do pad thai (w/veggies & (pre-marinaded) tofu), vegan palak paneer, green curry w/chickpeas and falafel.

I will look into these as well - thanks! - I've recently made stir-fried rice with soy sauce and sauteed mushrooms and veggies and it was pretty good.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, never heard of it; I'll be sure to pick some up next time I go shopping!

In my scramble I've been starting by frying a bit of onion and garlic in olive oil, then using nutritional yeast, paprika, turmeric, garlic powder, black pepper, and a bit of soy milk and soy sauce near the end - I'll play around with some of the ingredients listed here as well :)

I will look into these as well - thanks! - I've recently made stir-fried rice with soy sauce and sauteed mushrooms and veggies and it was pretty good.
It's good stuff if want an eggy flavour. It's high in sulphur to tastes like slightly salty powdered eggs, it's rather weirdly spot on for eggs. Also known as kala namak.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
The Need to Grow - a movie about food sustainability. I haven't seen it yet, but plan to watch it sometime soon. If anyone else is interested:

grow.foodrevolution.org

The Need To GROW | Watch the full film – free!

Can we feed the world without destroying it?! Rosario Dawson’s award-winning film The Need To GROW shows the SOLUTIONS — and the real stories of the game-changing innovators behind them.

MatchaMouse

Mar 12, 2018
Speaking of soup, this is one of my goto meals in winter:
www.connoisseurusveg.com

Vegan Hot and Sour Soup with Bok Choy

This vegan hot and sour soup is made with crispy tofu, bok choy and shiitake mushrooms, simmered up in a spicy, gingery broth.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your version of tofu scrambles. Interesting seeing the variations! I do a basic with turmeric, onion, garlic, nooch. I should mix it up.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The Need to Grow - a movie about food sustainability. I haven't seen it yet, but plan to watch it sometime soon. If anyone else is interested:

grow.foodrevolution.org

The Need To GROW | Watch the full film – free!

Can we feed the world without destroying it?! Rosario Dawson’s award-winning film The Need To GROW shows the SOLUTIONS — and the real stories of the game-changing innovators behind them.

Thanks for posting this, i'm watching now. It's insane how dumb agriculture and our food culture is.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
Happy holidays!

Yesterday was my first vegan Christmas dinner - I played it safe, bought a "beef" (soy) roast and ate it with mashed potatoes; also baked some very simple brownies :)

nTFgrGf.jpg

Are you trying anything different in the holidays, or have already some traditional "go-to"s instead?

MatchaMouse

Mar 12, 2018
Happy holidays :) For Christmas I made a shepherd's pie. Vegan grounds/mince, mushrooms, carrots, onions, gravy all topped with chive mashed potatoes. Was a great meal for a cold day.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Those brownies look pretty yummy.

Fiance made this Moroccan sweet brown rice mix (had cinnamon, raisins, some date paste, along with other spices) and it was outstanding. She did some baked tofu with it, but I think I would have preferred it would have been with some cooked chickpeas, the texture of homemade beans in general can't be beat. Regardless, I ate half of what she made. Those beef eaters weren't going to get more of that rice than I was.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I was invited for dinner over the holidays so I made deserts.

Vegan/GF Mince Pies and a Vegan/GF English Christmas Cake
6yjLBSl.png

5mMYHhI.png

sT2mlyr.png

Made the Royal Icing with aquafaba and a metric shit ton of icing sugar, but it worked out really nicely!

On an unrelated note I saw today that Follow Your Heart now sells blue cheese crumble.... 🥵

MatchaMouse

Mar 12, 2018
Threads like that are always depressing. And they can already talk, it's just not in a language we use.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
"If they could effectively verbally communicate with me, it'd be different" should be a shocking line of reasoning, yet for this website I'm not shocked at all.

In positive light, I don't normally check out the Hangouts side but I'm glad I did when I did because I never knew this thread was here. Hello!

MatchaMouse

Mar 12, 2018
"If they could effectively verbally communicate with me, it'd be different" should be a shocking line of reasoning, yet for this website I'm not shocked at all.

In positive light, I don't normally check out the Hangouts side but I'm glad I did when I did because I never knew this thread was here. Hello!
Hello Panda! Thanks for joining 🌱

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Since that other thread was closed... I really wanted to write this comment so I'll do it here.

I'm not vegan but I really admire people who are out of principle and as a way to boycott animal cruelty practices in the food production industry and, in this world that we're living now, it's probably the just thing to do if we want to force these corporations to eliminate certain practices.

I however don't think killing another animal or eating animals is intrinsically evil. A lot of animals do it and we're animals too, after all.

So, to recap, in a fair world and/or for certain indigenous tribes/societies that are yet living in a more symbiotic way with nature in which hunting is part of their culture, humans should be fine killing and eating animals.
In this current late stage capitalistic world that is completely going to shit though.... Yeah, I agree with you, we should all be vegans.

And I have struggled with this a lot myself, I feel very hypocritical. The truth is that I would be happy to try for real once again. The problem is that my family doesn't want to and it's very difficult with my current life conditions to separate my whole diet from my family's. Or maybe I'm making excuses and should just make a bigger effort.

I'll subscribe to this OT and hope to learn more from this community.

People always say there's nothing more annoying than a vegan telling everyone what to do. I think that people complaining about and mocking vegans are the worst people and the most annoying though, fuck them.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Remember you don't have to go full vegan, just try reducing your animal intake and it will make a big difference. After a while your taste buds start adapting and you'll realize you don't need meat or dairy to be the center piece of every single meal. I use to eat 5 lbs+ of meat, a dozen eggs, and 7-14 scoops of whey protein a week. Now i eat less than that in an entire year.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I however don't think killing another animal or eating animals is intrinsically evil. A lot of animals do it and we're animals too, after all.
I don't think this is about being evil. It's about presuming we have the rights to kill other sentient beings for our "comfort". And it's not done do one single animal because a family is hungty - it's done to millions of them every second. Most people think this is okay because we were hunters once or something. The animals are getting killed by machines, there is no hunting, no connection - you just see the ready meat behind the counter and buy it.
And we are not animals anymore I think. We have grown and we have knowledge how we can reduce harm and pain - yet we still do it.
I am really terrible with arguing about this topic but I hope you get what I mean.

And like the poster above me said. Every little helps and you get more comfortable over time about your diet and what satisfies you.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
Welcome bytesized, hope we can help on your journey :)

And we are not animals anymore I think. We have grown and we have knowledge how we can reduce harm and pain - yet we still do it.
I am really terrible with arguing about this topic but I hope you get what I mean.
I don't think that distancing ourselfs from the animals is the right point. I think, while we are still animals, we are in a unique sitaution where we cannot longer live in the "natural" way (I don't like the natural vs artificial disticntion, but I guess it is useful sometimes). Like there is no way in which we can sustainably slaughter animals so that everyone is eating meat, there are 8 billions of us, it is impossible for everyone to be a hunter or survive off local farms and the only solution is to have this massive slaughter houses. Which are not natural at all and terrible in any way immaginable.

And also, as you say, at some point we got self-consciousness which also allows us to be empathetic to other beings. Making the already terrible slaughter house even worse, as we are causing all this unnecesaery harm and we can empatithise with this suffering animals.

Apologies if this came out confrontational, it was not my intention. Just wanted to give my 2 cents (?). Feel free to disagree with me lol.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
In this current late stage capitalistic world that is completely going to shit though.... Yeah, I agree with you, we should all be vegans.

These are the logical steps I made that ended up with me going vegan. I kept telling myself "oh, it's just the circle of life" and "well that's just the food chain", etc., but I wasn't actually taking part in either of those when I was buying meat. Nor were the factory farmers I was buying the meat from. Even local farmers, the animals are bred into this world by humans for the purpose of luxury human consumption, from start to finish... that's not the circle of life, that's not the food chain. That's just the food version of the way the rich own the labourers, get all profits, while we're "lucky to get to live at all" and the planet is being destroyed so that they can live in luxury.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Since that other thread was closed... I really wanted to write this comment so I'll do it here.

I'm not vegan but I really admire people who are out of principle and as a way to boycott animal cruelty practices in the food production industry and, in this world that we're living now, it's probably the just thing to do if we want to force these corporations to eliminate certain practices.

So, to recap, in a fair world and/or for certain indigenous tribes/societies that are yet living in a more symbiotic way with nature in which hunting is part of their culture, humans should be fine killing and eating animals.

And I have struggled with this a lot myself, I feel very hypocritical. The truth is that I would be happy to try for real once again. The problem is that my family doesn't want to and it's very difficult with my current life conditions to separate my whole diet from my family's. Or maybe I'm making excuses and should just make a bigger effort.

I'll subscribe to this OT and hope to learn more from this community.

People always say there's nothing more annoying than a vegan telling everyone what to do. I think that people complaining about and mocking vegans are the worst people and the most annoying though, fuck them.

I think people come to vegetarianism and veganism for different reasons, especially as that tent continues to grow. Some purely do it for health or environmental reasons and don't really care about the animals that much. However I think the core reason people decide to abstain from eating animals is because they recognize the intelligence and emotions that these creatures have give them a right to enjoy a natural lifespan as we do, which humans -- since we have the mental capacity to choose what we eat -- can grant to them. We are advanced enough to be introspective and move beyond our hunter past to a species that sees through the physical differences with other higher order species and views our similarities with empathy and respect instead of predation upon them out of a false sense of superiority and callousness.

Cows and pigs are at least as intelligent and have the same ability to feel emotions as the dogs and cats we keep at pets, so there is already an obvious close-minded artificiality about the animals society protects and those it devours in an industrialized, grotesque way.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Everytime someone says "I thought about going veggie, but meat is just so goddamn good" I die a little bit (a lot) inside.
Giant Bomb is really the epitome of this. Just again during a live thing with "is ham white meat? red meat? I thought about giving up red meat but I don't know what it is" - it just tells you a lot. They don't have any eating culture period, or even know what the hell they are eating besides "meat"
And then the typical "Yeaah, you need a lot of veggies to fill your stomach."

So tiresome...
Sorry for the bump and the rant, heh.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Everytime someone says "I thought about going veggie, but meat is just so goddamn good" I die a little bit (a lot) inside.
Giant Bomb is really the epitome of this. Just again during a live thing with "is ham white meat? red meat? I thought about giving up red meat but I don't know what it is" - it just tells you a lot. They don't have any eating culture period, or even know what the hell they are eating besides "meat"
And then the typical "Yeaah, you need a lot of veggies to fill your stomach."

So tiresome...
Sorry for the bump and the rant, heh.

I just wish it wasn't the same old shtick every time. "But what about bacon? It's so gooood."

There is so much amazing vegetarian and vegan food out there nowadays. I never miss meat anymore.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
It's pathetic, I'm a lazy bastard; had fricken No Bull (Similar to Beyond) burgers for lunch with Vegan cheese melted on, fried onions and ketchup with a smidge of mustard. Had someone try that line with me in a nightclub over the weekend and go down the it's personal choice route, I don't really care what he thought but he crumbled instantly on the personal choice point. (Some weedy little kid with a shite beard who looked homeless, not that I look amazing but he flaked out and backed off discussing it; he tried to go down the protein thing at first when I clearly have more muscle mass mass without trying massively and have been Vegan almost 17 years and meat free almost 31 years).