• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I tried this seitan wings recipe a while back and it turned out great:

I might try this today.
hnc.gif

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Is that vegan better than bouillon stuff that good or just a meme
I buy their no chicken and veggie one constantly. I swear by them and would love to get the no beef one but it's not available locally and I am too lazy to order lol. I have also had their garlic one and their carmalized onion one. They were delicious as well.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I see so many fly-by-night places opening in SoCal which just throw impossible burgers on a bun and call it vegan food.
I also see a ton of really unhealthy, deep-fried stuff like that's being posted in here.

It's not that I think all vegan food should just be super healthy, but I always wonder who is eating this stuff all the time. Are they just people who already had bad diets and switched to be vegan, thinking highly-processed burgers and deep-fried vegan food would be better for them?

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Non Vegans have a hell of a lot more junk. Vegan isn't a diet; nor should it be. It's an animal rights movement. (I do the wholefood thing a few times a week, try and get 7-8 veg with 3/4 meals a week) but nah groovy with it. Gimme all that junk on a Friday or a Saturday. (My favourite takeaway probably use a ton of olive oil but no Vegan cheese and lots of veg, my second do Vegan seitan kebab and fried chicken and after a week at work I want to eat some good junk without animal abuse).

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I see so many fly-by-night places opening in SoCal which just throw impossible burgers on a bun and call it vegan food.
I also see a ton of really unhealthy, deep-fried stuff like that's being posted in here.

It's not that I think all vegan food should just be super healthy, but I always wonder who is eating this stuff all the time. Are they just people who already had bad diets and switched to be vegan, thinking highly-processed burgers and deep-fried vegan food would be better for them?
I mean it does seem a common misconception that vegan automatically means healthy. One could eat nothing but potato chips and be vegan, yet probably not healthy.

That said. I would wager that on average. The average vegan is likely eating more healthy than the average non-vegan. Obviously with massive outliers on either side.

As for us. We eat whole foods most of the time, but still get home made junk food on occasion. We eat out maybe once every other week or so.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad the processed replacement stuff is there 'cause it's reassuring for people when they transition, but it's more a one-off or treat thing for me now. I've definitely eaten a lot healthier these past 5 years than the previous 20 when I was veggie.

But then you get people like my brother who can vanish a whole pack of Bourbons in the blink of an eye lol, he's no better off int hat regard.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Their is room for both, just gotta balance it. Totally not on a diet or think Veganism should ever become one. Definitionally we are Vegan for the animals and any health benefits (which there are some and I do benefit from are just a benefit from that).

(I now also miss the days I could take a half day holiday and go to one of the many pubs/places to eat out around here and get a quick bite to eat).

71345482-10162349983680207-7293872758109241344-o.jpg

75398089-10162513489845207-9107833233294229504-o.jpg

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Just came across this report comparing the environmental impact of an impossible burger vs. a beef burger.
impossiblefoods.com

Impossible Burger Environmental Life Cycle Assessment 2019

Learn about the environmental benefit of choosing an Impossible Burger over a burger from a cow, using science-based life cycle assessment.

Now granted impossible foods is listed as co-author and commissioned this report, but even so the differences are stark.

When U.S. consumers choose to replace a kilogram of beef burger with a kilogram of
Impossible Burger®, they are reducing environmental impacts across every impact category
focused on in the study between 87%-96%.

15E3LP9.png

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone try these 🤔

shop.bitchinsauce.com

Bitchin' Sauce

Bitchin' Sauce! The Almond dip! Gluten-Free, Vegan, Project Non-GMO Verified, Kosher, Totally Bitchin'. Now available in on-the-go snacking sizes. A totally Bitchin' addition to your weekly meal-prep.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
vegconomist.com

Dairy Giant Bel Brands, Owner of Babybel & Boursin, Debuts Plant-Based Cheese Brand Nurishh - vegconomist - the vegan business magazine

Following last autumn's news from Bel Group that the multinational dairy corporation was to launch vegan-friendly versions of its core brands including The

🤔

Have two vegan feta brands in my fridge. Kind of whack honestly.
wait whats whack lol? the cheese you sent or the feta you have? I am confused

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I have yet to try a vegan feta, figured violife would be good but I guess not! darn
We love the violife feta, it also melts really well and tastes great on baked dishes.
I didn't try that one yet, tried another but they look the same so not sure I'll like it that much. The melting is actually good but imo it was nothing like feta. Not really crumbly either.

I've had this a few times which isn't cheese it's just like airy briney tofu and it's pretty good https://www.taifun-tofu.de/de/feto-natur

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Oh sorry, the feta lol. I just tried one so far, the other is the violife greek white block. Not much diffferent than like a vegan mozzarella block.

Feta is the one cheese I really miss, and I've never found a vegan one that actually has the taste and crumbly-yet-soft texture of fresh feta. I keep hoping though.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Non Vegans have a hell of a lot more junk. Vegan isn't a diet; nor should it be. It's an animal rights movement. (I do the wholefood thing a few times a week, try and get 7-8 veg with 3/4 meals a week) but nah groovy with it. Gimme all that junk on a Friday or a Saturday. (My favourite takeaway probably use a ton of olive oil but no Vegan cheese and lots of veg, my second do Vegan seitan kebab and fried chicken and after a week at work I want to eat some good junk without animal abuse).

Well, I've been vegan for around 20 years. So I've seen a lot of changes in the community, a lot of changes in food options, and a lot of people over the years come to veganism for different reasons. I'm an ethical vegan myself, but for me it's more than just treating animals equally. It's also about doing what I can to save the environment, and it's about treating my body well. Veganism for me is about a holistic way of living better and treating others and myself better. But I don't judge people for WHY they are vegan because the more people who are eating that way, the better.

Here in Southern California, veganism is definitely a diet for some people. For some people, it's a cuisine they dabble in. I'm fine with all of that, because one plant-based meal is another meal that an animal didn't have to be murdered or abused for. And it's making those people more comfortable with the idea of a vegan lifestyle and transitioning to that fully. So it's all good.

I was mostly making an observation that here in SoCal there's a lot more restaurants these days who pop up with a sad little menu of Impossible burgers and calling it a day. I don't judge anyone for eating junk food, I do too sometimes. But I don't like the shift in restaurants to using highly processed meat substitutes instead of vegetable options. I used to love the chain Veggie Grill for instance, but they've replaced most of their own "meats" with Beyond Burgers. It feels like there's an Amazon-esque hollowing out of the vegan food scene with a few corporate products becoming ubiquitous at every restaurant.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I've been vegan for around 20 years. So I've seen a lot of changes in the community, a lot of changes in food options, and a lot of people over the years come to veganism for different reasons. I'm an ethical vegan myself, but for me it's more than just treating animals equally. It's also about doing what I can to save the environment, and it's about treating my body well. Veganism for me is about a holistic way of living better and treating others and myself better. But I don't judge people for WHY they are vegan because the more people who are eating that way, the better.

Here in Southern California, veganism is definitely a diet for some people. For some people, it's a cuisine they dabble in. I'm fine with all of that, because one plant-based meal is another meal that an animal didn't have to be murdered or abused for. And it's making those people more comfortable with the idea of a vegan lifestyle and transitioning to that fully. So it's all good.

I was mostly making an observation that here in SoCal there's a lot more restaurants these days who pop up with a sad little menu of Impossible burgers and calling it a day. I don't judge anyone for eating junk food, I do too sometimes. But I don't like the shift in restaurants to using highly processed meat substitutes instead of vegetable options. I used to love the chain Veggie Grill for instance, but they've replaced most of their own "meats" with Beyond Burgers. It feels like there's an Amazon-esque hollowing out of the vegan food scene with a few corporate products becoming ubiquitous at every restaurant.
Northern UK here and it's quite a bit difference; the 3 biggies are a Veggie (95% Vegan all you can eat place) largely doing all you can eat plant based food and the first person to book gets to pick a World theme, a seitan kebab and seitan place and a 100% Vegan cheese place. Plus seitan/tofu Vietnamese and Thai. Live in a city of indies who are pushing Vegan food.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

I know the freezing thing isn't that rare but in the comments there are some discussions about result differences based on coagulants used. Has anyone gotten anything this flaky before 🤔

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Hello vegan era, i'm starting to dip my feet into veganism and say hello. (inspired by the seaspiracy documentary on Netflix).

My favorite food i've made so far is just a simple tofu scramble, as a lifter i was always skeptical about vegan foods getting the amount of protein needed, but my breakfast was 50 grams of protein and only 500 calories (Was also tasty and filled me up nicely).
https://www.noracooks.com/tofu-scramble/ I had never even heard of nutritional yeast before and it packs 5 grams of protein in a single tablespoon (!)

For lunch i had a lentil loaf
simple-veganista.com

The Ultimate Vegetable Lentil Loaf - The Simple Veganista

The Ultimate Vegetable Lentil Loaf (aka vegan meatloaf) is full of flavor and makes a great centerpiece for family gatherings! Vegan + WFPB recipe.

I put some Kimchi on it for flavor and it worked really well, i had a vegan protein shake with it.

Then i made a mock taco meat bowl for dinner https://passtheplants.com/vegan-taco-meat/#wprm-recipe-container-4729

This was pretty good, but i'm wondering if you guys think the recipe was maybe expecting me to peel the pumpkin seeds first? It was very edible but i could tell there was shell/husk in it even after putting it through the food processor. I had another vegan shake and bowl of granola.

So despite my worries, i was able to hit around 150 grams of protein and 2200ish calories, all 3 meals were tasty and i'm excited to try out all these new and creative recipes.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Hello vegan era, i'm starting to dip my feet into veganism and say hello. (inspired by the seaspiracy documentary on Netflix).

My favorite food i've made so far is just a simple tofu scramble, as a lifter i was always skeptical about vegan foods getting the amount of protein needed, but my breakfast was 50 grams of protein and only 500 calories (Was also tasty and filled me up nicely).
https://www.noracooks.com/tofu-scramble/ I had never even heard of nutritional yeast before and it packs 5 grams of protein in a single tablespoon (!)

For lunch i had a lentil loaf
simple-veganista.com

The Ultimate Vegetable Lentil Loaf - The Simple Veganista

The Ultimate Vegetable Lentil Loaf (aka vegan meatloaf) is full of flavor and makes a great centerpiece for family gatherings! Vegan + WFPB recipe.

I put some Kimchi on it for flavor and it worked really well, i had a vegan protein shake with it.

Then i made a mock taco meat bowl for dinner https://passtheplants.com/vegan-taco-meat/#wprm-recipe-container-4729

This was pretty good, but i'm wondering if you guys think the recipe was maybe expecting me to peel the pumpkin seeds first? It was very edible but i could tell there was shell/husk in it even after putting it through the food processor. I had another vegan shake and bowl of granola.

So despite my worries, i was able to hit around 150 grams of protein and 2200ish calories, all 3 meals were tasty and i'm excited to try out all these new and creative recipes.
Welcome to the thread. 😎

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not vegan, but I've significantly reduced my animal product intake over the last few years. A cursory look at veganism for the last fifteen years always turned me off because it seemed so heavily based on tree nuts which I'm allergic to (except almonds), but things seem to have changed. Anyway I've been making dishes I see on youtube and doing my own takes on food I like, only made vegan. Things really started to pick up as far as my vegan dish prep around quarantine time last year.

Anyway I made some chicken flavored seitan a few days ago and last night used it for my version of General Tso's chicken. The pictures look kind of gross but it was still good. I upped the degree of difficulty by making it low carb too. I don't know if it's keto friendly but definitely low carb in comparison to actual General Tso's. This means no sugar added to the sugar chicken dish, no flour, no corn starch, no rice. I used almond flour, a sweetener, cauliflower rice, and a touch of guar gum (like an 8th of a teaspoon) for thickness of the sauce. It still tasted great, but admittedly if I'd had just made it vegetarian and used egg white to bread the seitan instead of my homemade egg replacement it would have been better.

This morning I've also been using the same seitan to make not chicken salad.

I can probably stop here but I'm making it like I make tuna salad, which means "eggs". Here's the tofu egg scramble that I'm letting cool before I add it.

Ingredients:
Seitan (chopped into small bits)
Onion
Celery
relish (i use dill, but sweet relish is fine if you're a dirtbag)
vegan mayo
tofu egg scramble (optional)

I'll probably make a sandwich later. Will update with pics of the final product if I do.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway I made some chicken flavored seitan a few days ago and last night used it for my version of General Tso's chicken. The pictures look kind of gross but it was still good. I upped the degree of difficulty by making it low carb too. I don't know if it's keto friendly but definitely low carb in comparison to actual General Tso's. This means no sugar added to the sugar chicken dish, no flour, no corn starch, no rice. I used almond flour, a sweetener, cauliflower rice, and a touch of guar gum (like an 8th of a teaspoon) for thickness of the sauce. It still tasted great, but admittedly if I'd had just made it vegetarian and used egg white to bread the seitan instead of my homemade egg replacement it would have been better.

Ok subbing to this thread is already paying off, thank you for posting this, never even heard of Seitan before and i'm going to definitely make this.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Ok subbing to this thread is already paying off, thank you for posting this, never even heard of Seitan before and i'm going to definitely make this.
It's really easy to make. On the most basic level you can just season some vital wheat gluten, add water to turn it into a dough, knead it, then steam, bake, or poach to cook. Most recipes add something else to cut the gluten to keep it from being just a tough ball of protein.

I sort of used the recipe at https://margaretschlegal.com/2019/02/03/amazing-vegan-butter-chickn/ but not really. I used some raw chickpeas that I ground into flour instead of cooked and I did my own thing when seasoning. The first seitan loaf i made was steamed like this recipe and I steamed what I'm eating now, but I found I prefer poaching in a flavorful broth. It gets the flavor in there better and I like the texture a little more. I read a thread about a seasoning called vegeta here so I ordered on Amazon. That stuff is the truth. I didn't use it to make this current batch but when I bagged it for the fridge I made a broth with it to store/ marinate.

My not chicken salad was amazing btw. It tasted surprisingly exactly like it was supposed to. The black salt I used for the "eggs" made them really taste like eggs and the texture/taste of the not chicken was pretty indistinguishable from what you'd get in a similar salad.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

Welcome! You may or may not know that several Olympians have been vegan, including weightlifter Kendrick Farris. https://veganliftz.com/vegan-olympic-athletes/

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey vegan era, tell me your fave brands and types of vegan cheeses and yogurts, please!

I've been veg forever but my partner and I are having a go at taking out animal products as well...

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The Only one that I know that might be globally available is Alpro. They have some decent Greek Style yoghurts (unflavored as well as flavored) that I like to eat.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Lunch time!

This burger took less than 10 minutes to put together but there were many man-hours involved. I made the pickles myself, the bun is a low carb almond flour/VWG mixture I made, the "cheese" was my creation, and the patty was something I pulled out of the freezer I made months ago. I'm pretty sure this is from a batch of seitan I made with a beet mixed in (you can't really taste the beet).

Hey vegan era, tell me your fave brands and types of vegan cheeses and yogurts, please!

I've been veg forever but my partner and I are having a go at taking out animal products as well...
GoVeggie cream cheese tastes like cream cheese. It's pretty good.
The Daiya provolone slices are okay. The yellow cheeses I've bought are usually bad regardless of brand. Vegan cheeses mostly fail to scratch the cheese itch but I can't do anything with cashews in it so maybe those made with that taste more like cheese.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Yeast flakes are great to replace Parmesan topping on your noodles. Added to sweetpotato-cream-sauce makes some Mac and Cheese taste really close to the real deal.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Yeast flakes are great to replace Parmesan topping on your noodles. Added to sweetpotato-cream-sauce makes some Mac and Cheese taste really close to the real deal.
A fairly common upgrade of this is raw cashews, garlic powder (Not too much), maybe a smidge of salt blended together. A classic.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Miyoko's soft cheeses are really good. I haven't tried their slices, shreds, or blocks of cheese, but I imagine those are also great.

My wife really enjoys Forager's unsweetened cashew milk yogurt.

MatchaMouse

Mar 12, 2018
I'm in the northeast US so not sure about availability but I really like the So Delicious coconut yogurt as well as any of the Silk varieties!

Not a fan of cheese but I've heard Miyoko's and Follow Your Heart are good.

All the food pics in here are giving me life.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the northeast US so not sure about availability but I really like the So Delicious coconut yogurt as well as any of the Silk varieties!

Not a fan of cheese but I've heard Miyoko's and Follow Your Heart are good.

All the food pics in here are giving me life.
So Delicious coconut vanilla ice cream is so good. Pisses me off I can't find it anywhere. Pretty much any grocery store will carry that brand but grocery stores seem to have some beef with plain vanilla and so I only ever see vanilla bean. I want plain vanilla damnit.

MatchaMouse

Mar 12, 2018
So Delicious coconut vanilla ice cream is so good. Pisses me off I can't find it anywhere. Pretty much any grocery store will carry that brand but grocery stores seem to have some beef with plain vanilla and so I only ever see vanilla bean. I want plain vanilla damnit.
I'm all about their Dark Chocolate Truffle ice cream so I'm probably part of the problem! Sorry about the lack of vanilla friend :(

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
My first attempt at a vegan pizza. I've made pizza before and actually have preferred veggie pizzas for at least a decade, but a pizza really isn't a pizza without cheese. Regardless I took a stab at it. I made some not mozzarella in hopes that this could be edible. Also to up the difficulty it's low carb*

*in comparison to a regular pizza.

I was really pleased with the crust. It's made of almond flour, vital wheat gluten, and other stuff. I used aquafaba as a binder and I think that's what made it so great. It tasted like a doughy pizza crust. The "cheese" melted and tasted somewhat like mozz, but it didn't have the pull of the real thing. Overall the taste and mouthfeel was similar to that of any other veggie pizza. I'd give it an 8/10 as a general pizza and 10/10 as a vegan pizza.