• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Rome (CNN)The Vatican said Monday that the Catholic Church would not bless same-sex unions, in a combative statement approved by Pope Francis that threatens to widen the chasm between the church and much of the LGBTQ community.

Explaining their decision in a lengthy note on Monday, the Holy See referred to same-sex unions as a "choice," described them as sinful and said they "cannot be recognized as objectively ordered" to God's plans. The stance is certain to disappoint millions of gay and lesbian Catholics around the world.
"The blessing of homosexual unions cannot be considered licit," the Vatican's top doctrinal office, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, wrote in the statement.
God "does not and cannot bless sin," the statement added.

Pope Francis, who has frequently been praised for his welcoming tone towards LGBTQ people both within and outside the Church, approved the note.
The decision is a setback for Catholics who had hoped the institution would modernize its approach to homosexuality. Dozens of countries, include many in western Europe, have legalized same-sex marriages, and the Church's reticence to embrace LGBTQ people has long held the potential to alienate it from younger followers.
"It is not licit to impart a blessing on relationships or partnerships, even stable, that involve sexual activity outside of marriage, as is the case of the unions between persons of the same sex," the statement said.

The statement says that gays and lesbians, as individuals, may receive a blessing if they live according to Church teaching.
But blessing same-sex unions, the Vatican said, would send a sign that the Catholic Church approves and encourages "a choice and a way of life that cannot be recognized as objectively ordered to the revealed plans of God."

The statement was issued as a "response" to questions from pastors and the faithful on the question. In a commentary provided with the Monday statement, the Vatican insisted that "the negative judgment on the blessing of unions of persons of the same sex does not imply a judgment on persons."
www.cnn.com

Vatican says it will not bless same-sex unions, calling them a 'sin' | CNN

The Vatican said Monday that the Catholic Church would not bless same-sex unions, in a combative statement approved by Pope Francis that threatens to widen the chasm between the church and much of the LGBTQ community.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Anyone that's been waiting for the church to grow and evolve... you have to move on in your faith. You aren't part of the Catholic Church, and you never will be... and the conservative forces in Rome will continue to torture you.

I know too many people that are gay and make excuses for the church - sit around waiting to be accepted by ancient thinking.

Fuck it, there's so many similar faiths and congregations that are ready for you.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the classic "Hate the sin, not the sinner" thing.

Glad they clarified though, because some people were starting to think that the Vatican and Pope Francis were actually progressive.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I've never understood people saying "This pope is cool!" I mean I guess he's a bit different than past popes, but stuff like this, you know the Church is never going to change on.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't have expected anything less from this establishment.

Another rousing success for being terrible.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
It's organized religion , of course it's going to be awful, a big fuck you to the Vatican from my part.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
But Paedophilia is something that they protect their priests from the law from.

So clearly they approve of that.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone that's been waiting for the church to grow and evolve... you have to move on in your faith. You aren't part of the Catholic Church, and you never will be... and the conservative forces in Rome will continue to torture you.

I know too many people that are gay and make excuses for the church - sit around waiting to be accepted by ancient thinking.

Fuck it, there's so many similar faiths and congregations that are ready for you.
If the rampant pedophilia didn't move the needle for anyone "waiting for the church to grow and evolve", I doubt this will. People are still going to make excuses because they just don't give a shit about other people.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
The wording around 'choice' is so unfortunate, and seems like a deliberate jab. Although it refers to entering a relationship/partnership/coupling as a choice, it's being reported less subtly as referring to homosexuality in and of itself as a choice. Which as far as messaging goes, could only do more damage than if it had never answered this 'enquiry' in the first place, in reinforcing the attitudes of some who don't look beyond the headline. (AFAIK, the church accepts homosexuality itself is not a choice).

Of course, this is all just a bunch of bullshit anyway. An abusive enforcement of abstinence with no alternative on a whole subset of people at the risk of their soul, etc. etc. Psychological abuse for gay believers.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
"God doesn't make mistakes." - Vatican

Gay People Exist and want to be treated equally.

"God makes some mistakes." - Vatican
Don't they qualify that by saying we made the mistake not God? (i.e. being gay or bi is a choice)

Anyway, like others have said, I'm not surprised. Also, I'm perfectly okay with the Vatican not supporting my life style. I just wish they had less political importance to boot.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Give them another 20 years. Like all religions in the face societal change, they'll eventually come around and act as if it they always supported it.

Don't they qualify that by saying we made the mistake not God? (i.e. being gay or bi is a choice)

Anyway, like others have said, I'm not surprised. Also, I'm perfectly okay with the Vatican not supporting my life style. I just wish they had less political importance to boot.
Something something, Adam and Eve. Something something eating fruit from the forbidden tree of knowledge and damning all of humanity for eternity in the process.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
You know it is classic move to protected prejudice and discrimination under religious beliefs. Countries should outlaw organizations that employ these tactics.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

Well yeah, they try to act like gay people choose to be that way. Like most "Christian" religions.

Since they believe god made every individual who they are, and the fact that a homosexual couple didn't choose to be born that way, they're quite literally saying God makes mistakes and acting on his mistake is a "sin".

Which, then means god created the sin...and the poor unlucky people he screwed up on, and therefore are forced by his design into a sinful situation, has to abstain from the sin he created.

Last edited:

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
But I thought Jesus said God loves unconditionally? I guess Jesus was wrong.

But I thought Jesus said we are supposed to treat people the way we want to be treated? I guess the Vatican doesn't mind having rights denied to them based on things that are out of their control. Either that or Jesus was wrong again.

So we are to believe God created a group of people who are not allowed to experience true love? If so, to hell with God.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get it, why would anyone expect the Vatican to change their mind about this? No big religion will accept and bless same sex unions cause there are too many devout extremists among all faiths.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
They're more open about their hatred of same-sex consensual relationships than they were about non-consensual same sex relationships between their priests and alter boys. Fuck you, Vatican.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure if anybody was expecting them to turn around on this

It's so rooted in doctrine that I don't believe the Church will ever actually change its position on it. It's pretty much the same with divorce/remarriage.
They are trying to be more accepting but at the same time, are unable to progress on these issues in a way that violates their beliefs.

Honestly though, I hope nobody in the LGBTQ community is letting this affect them. Many other religions that are far more accepting if you need religion in your life.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah there was no way they were changing here. The Catholic church takes its Seven Sacraments very seriously, and the wording of their announcement here is in line with doctrine.

Only 1 kind of union gets a blessing, marriage, and it's reserved for opposite-sexed partners who go through a whole ceremony, as has been done since the early church. For all the scary words in there about sin and not making same-sex unions 'licit', they're just playing rules lawyer. The church views homosexual relationships that result in sex the same way they view heterosexual relationships that result in sex, they think they're bad unless marriage is involved. That there is no path to making that homosexual relationship valid in the eyes of the church is terrible, and is something that the Episcopal church solved by changing canon law to publish neutral language marriage rites.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
And this is the good Pope apparently. Best Pope!

"But the Pope himself isn't homophobic and can't realistically change the institution"

Imagine if he was just a guy, a CEO of a company, and he approved a statement that said gay unions are sinful. We'd demand his fucking head.

The latitude we give to religious organizations is fucked.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Not Catholic but I find that statement to be a little surprising. Maybe I naively thought they were becoming more progressive.

But whatever. It's an organization that chose to cover up the sexual abuse of children. They have some nerve talking about approving "God's plan" and whatnot.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
"I'm into antichrist if your god is entirely right". Fuck the Vatican. In general, fuck people attributing hierarchies and rules to deities and then expecting others to obey. What a bunch of bastards.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Good, keep bleeding members, particularly among younger generations, until you completely disappear you rapist assholes.

We don't need anyone's blessing and we're more free for it.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Yup, the religion with 1.3bn followers still exists.
Those numbers are very misleading though. Me and most of my friends count as Catholic because we were baptized and it's nearly impossible to change that legally, yet none of us believe and haven't set foot in a church for decades. The Church uses those numbers to get economic support from the government. The reality is they count millions who don't consider themselves Christians and the pace at which they lose followers continues to accelerate because of it.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Considering all the horrible things they cover for, I'm sure I'm not going to be taking this statement seriously.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Well, the bible also claims that slaves should obey their masters so maybe - just maybe - we shouldn't take every single word and statement so literally, especially given how little homosexuality is actually referenced. (it's barely mentioned)

Of course there is also the issue that the Catholic Church has had no problem omitting and or editing those books and religious laws/doctrine of the bible they found troublesome, yet seem unable to find motivation to give millions of their own membership the blessing to love and marry whomever they choose.

It's just sad and pathetic.