• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
the Starro face stuff really got to me
Yeah, showing what it did in the build-up to its escape from containment really put a strong edge to the scene where it unleashes the babies and felt like some very proper cosmic horror, capped off by its final words that it relays through the General that only adds to the creep factor. It wasn't a perfect film by any stretch, but the swings that Gunn took with TSS really impressed me.

May 24, 2019
Half tempted to read the spoilers here because I'm taking my six year old son (almost 7) to see the movie tomorrow. He's seen everything else and we just watched Jaws together the other day and he is not having any trouble sleeping through the night. Fuck it, roll the dice.
You should definitely look up what happens and decide for yourself if it's appropriate.

Edit: Non specific violence from what I can recall:
Dozens of people are blasted to death non graphically. A monster's eye is ripped out. Someone is burnt to ash and disintegrates. Two heads pop, one in close up. Someone is cut into threads, though not bloody. Someone's chopped in half, though we dont see the wound. A threatening figure stalks the protagonists with a face covered in blood. A decaying corpse is reanimated.

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was fine as PG-13. It was obvious they cut back some blood and stuff that might have pushed it. But there's nothing in the film that remotely made me think it should have been R.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Half tempted to read the spoilers here because I'm taking my six year old son (almost 7) to see the movie tomorrow. He's seen everything else and we just watched Jaws together the other day and he is not having any trouble sleeping through the night. Fuck it, roll the dice.

It is certainly not as graphic or intense as Jaws. But it is darker in its themes and atmosphere. I'm not sure you're really going to be able to get a feel for what the movie is like from a list of the violence that happens.

My teenager loved it. And she doesn't watch much horror at all. I had no regrets in taking her. But I have to tell you, at 6 or 7 I think she would have had trouble with it.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they showed Captain Carter's body getting cut half it would enough to make it rated R

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
I'm quite sure that a Variety's senior awards editor is more knowledgeable than me about how the rating system works. I agree with what he said on the article and what he says on that video embedded tweet. Also, the article is quite informative on how the film rating system works and how it can be a bit less forgiving for independent films.

Your quote means nothing in the context of my previous post. Also I'm not sure what a "Senior Awards Editor" does besides have bad takes and a ridiculous title but somehow I don't think it requires knowing the ins and outs of the rating system. There are much more egregious examples of PG-13 movies that are pushing the boundaries of that rating but this movie does not belong among them.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I feel like the horror aspects of the movie are super overblown, honestly. They are there, but I don't see how one can look at it and debate whether it's a full horror movie or a superhero movie with some horror trappings. It's way more Army of Darkness than Evil Dead, tone wise. I also am scratching my head about people talking about how gruesome it was. Like outside the 'No Mouth' part, most of the graphic stuff the camera pulls away from. I feel like you haven't seen many movies at all if you think this is some super violent movie.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I saw the Evil Dead movies at 7 and was fine. Seeing Jaws made me scared to go in the pool though...

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Feiges losing the plot. Spread too thin with all these cartoons and tv shoes. Now parents gotta pick and choose instead of just saying "Its Marvel lets go"

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

FSL_UmqWYAA6W4g

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I think this shows how companies still ahve various layers of lobbies within the agencies.

I take it WB is possibly pissed (within themselves) because The Batman received a 15-16 tag in certain countries, but especially in UK where you cant see even if accompanied by someone older - this one certainly hurt its box office since its a huge market there
Lobbies are strong. I mean 12a exists in the UK because Sony went berserk that Spider-Man got the old 12 rating and effectively meant no kid could see the movie.
BBFC have always denied they buckled to pressure, but the moment 12a replaced 12 later in the year Sony immediately rereleased Spider-Man in UK cinemas.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Posting Unmarked Spoilers
Book of Vishanti
was kinda pointless right?

Mod Edit: Added Spoiler Tags

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 27, 2017
The Black bolt death really did feel like something out if The Boys.

I think it's mostly that Marvel has done this fanciful take on violence where lethal head injuries would just knock someone out and the conflicts all end up rather clean.

Raimi just shocked everyone by pointing out the very real fact that Captain America's shield wouldn't knock you out, it'll just fucking cut you in half.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
This honestly makes me hopeful for characters like Daredevil and Punisher in the PG-13 space.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
You gotta go pretty far in this Christian nation to earn an 'R', if your movie has zero exposed breasts, sex scenes, F-bombs, or Satanic worship.

A little violence? Pffft we're built on that shit, don't even roll over in bed for less than an on-screen disembowelment.

i love that the remake of true grit is pg13
That cabin scene is legit nightmare fuel for how quickly the violence escalates to have it culminate with a guy getting shot in the face at point blank range without the camera cutting away from it. Perhaps the lack of blood splatter prevented it from getting an R-rating, but that's one of the first films that comes to mind when I think about PG-13 films that were a hair away from getting the bump.

Oct 26, 2017
The article is ridiculous.

Although I do think the PG-13 rating is getting outdated. We need something between PG-13 and R.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
only thing that I could see being past your average pg-13 was the
black bolt head implosion thing

that was pretty gnarly

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
There's no need for this to be R. I think most people are just shocked this is a Marvel movie.

Lord Bandi

Apr 30, 2020
My wife literally can't watch any horror movies, she gets nightmares and she really believes in spirits.

She was not scared one bit of what happened in this movie, in fact we're talking about it right now as I post this.

Neither was our 15 daughter scared of anything that happened in this film.

pollo

Oct 25, 2017
I brought my kid to this and I was expecting Shang chi level violence ummm no..

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
only thing that I could see being past your average pg-13 was the
black bolt head implosion thing

that was pretty gnarly
Yeah, that scene was very unexpected and to my memory seemed more extreme than any other PG-13 movie I've seen in a long time.

I guess the only thing stopping that from being too much was that the gore of the internal explosion was contained. It wasn't like the bloody explosion of the dude in The Boys early episode..

Also Reed Richard's head popping at the end of him being unraveled was also really unexpected, but more funny than gory, haha.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I got a chuckle out of the tweets in OP because just today I was reading BuT iTS nOT a HoRROr MOviE.

Whenever I watch this movie, I'm going to be very disappointed due to overhyping of the dark themes, aren't I?

Set your expectations to that Rami's horror influence is visible, and you'll enjoy it.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
This says way more about how sanitized PG-13 has gotten in the last decade than anything about this movie

OP
OP
Mancha

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
Whenever I watch this movie, I'm going to be very disappointed due to overhyping of the dark themes, aren't I?
If you are an Evil Dead's Sam Raimi fan no, you will not. I have a friend that it's the major Evil Dead nerd I've ever seen and huge horror buff that isn't really a MCU fan but absolutely loved this one. I honestly think that the horror elements will be what will make the film have great box office legs too. No Way Home is an S tier superhero film for me, while this is an A tier, but this will be the first time since the pandemic started that I really feel the urge to watch this film more than once at a movie theater. I think this film will get good rep not just with MCU fans, but horror fans as well, especially if they are into Raimi's style, since it's a major back to form for him.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark tonight for the first time and that film infinitely pushes the boundaries of a PG13 rating more so than Dr Strange. All of the R rating talk about this movie is clickbait YouTube shit. No one actually thinks this

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
If there wasn't nothing on Multiverse of Madness to warrant an R rating, I'd argue the same thing I've said this on the OT: I just can't see how anything on James Gunn's The Suicide Squad would warrant an R rating either. In a lot of ways, I see Doctor Strange in the Muitiverse of Madness more inspired by Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell than anything he has ever done on his Spider-Man trilogy.
Lol. Maybe you should rewatch The Suicide Squad. I think you forgot how gory that movie is

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark tonight for the first time and that film infinitely pushes the boundaries of a PG13 rating more so than Dr Strange. All of the R rating talk about this movie is clickbait YouTube shit. No one actually thinks this
Gretel & Hansel is PG-13 and somehow got away with this tableful of viscera and body parts
A34-EA6-F3-4-BBC-44-F7-A7-C2-2-F763900-EB28.jpg

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
For a summer block buster, it was way more violent than expected imo. It's not filled with too much violence but the stuff on screen in this movie was a step up then previous Marvel flicks. Not all that surprised we have some people reeling from it.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I mean you can almost directly match the tone to something like The Boys, and comparing the two you can easily see why one would get a PG-13 and the other would almost certainly get an R.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
The amount of pearl clutching over the rating is wild to me. There are straight up teenagers watching Euphoria every week and somehow this is the new issue. It had nothing on something like Suicide Squad/Peacemaker.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They got Raimi because they knew he could see the PG-13 line and snort the shit out of it.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
They got Raimi because they knew he could see the PG-13 line and snort the shit out of it.

Exactly. He knew exactly what he was doing. Raimi has extensive experience with this, he knows how to toe this line more than almost anyone else in the industry, especially with the backing of the largest studio in Hollywood.

I keep thinking about Bentendo24's suggestion of conspiracy here because nothing else makes sense to me lol. There are so many more borderline PG-13 movies and it only benefits Disney to keep this discussion going all weekend