• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Also, where the hell is Bloodsport series? That would work super well too.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I mean we were all asking who was asking for a Peacemaker TV show and look how that ended up surprising everybody.

I feel DC has the more alluring TV show schedule coming up between Penguin and potentially this.

fancyarcher

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure yeah, this could be good, but it feels like maybe overkill. I don't need to see another spinoff, lol. Hopefully it's good, though.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The complaints about "another spin off" are a bit bizarre. If it's good, who cares if it's a spin off. And it's not like spin offs aren't all the rage in other nerdy IPs.

Apr 27, 2020
Sounds like it could be...

latest

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Bring it on! If peacemaker taught me anything it'a never to doubt shows on characters that aren't in the big leagues lol

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sure, why not? More Viola Davis, more James Gunn, can't say no to either of them.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I like Viola Davis but I don't think this one is going to be for me.

I'm all for goofy ass super villians but Amanda Waller is just one of those characters like Henry Peter Gyrich that I just despise at my core for some reason. Think its because they feel more real, theres plenty of bastards just like them in real life.

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm here for this. I thought she'd be a guest star on Peacemaker season 2 at the very least, but this is better. Viola Davis wrecking havok on the DCEU weekly on my tv is a gift.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they don't try to redeem or humanize her at all. Cold and heartless Waller is best Waller.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
shes probably the 2nd best waller ever (cch pounder the GOAT) so im down for this.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give it the benefit of the doubt but this doesn't even remotely sound interesting to me even though I really like Viola Davis. I just don't care about Waller whatsoever.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I really want a Waller centric show. She works well I'm limited doses for me.

But I won't judge it too early. Peacemaker was good. Hopefully this is too. Just wish the next spinoff was something a little more exciting.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Viola Davis is eyeing a return to the role of Amanda Waller in her own spinoff series currently in the works at HBO Max, Variety has learned from sources. Exact plot details are mostly under wraps at this point, but sources say the show will build off of Waller's appearance at the end of the "Suicide Squad" spinoff series "Peacemaker."

Will someone spoiler what happened at the end of Peacewalker? I finished watching the series, but I do not remember her making an appearance at the end.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had to reread that. My brain wanted to make it say "will star in peacemaker season 2," as in a larger presence of that show.

They probably worded it that way cause of peacemakers ratings vs the suicide squads box office, but what the fuck. What a weird sentence.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
They also spent THAT ENTIRE SHOW humanizing Peacemaker.

If they even attempt to redeem Amanda Waller...someone fucked up.
Your logic is weird,
Peacemaker is a piece of shit in the suicide squad
Tv show they humanize him

Amanda Waller piece of shit in movies and peacemaker
Tv show based on - fuck her she can't be humanize even after developments in peacemaker…
If that was the case why make a show if you already determined she's not redeemable and she can't grow

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Really confused about this stance.

Is it because you think Amanda Waller isn't an interesting character? Coz she definitely is. There's a lot to her.

Is it because you think bad people can't be protagonists or something? Cause that's not the case....

Please explain.

I did already but let me come at it from another stance.

It's REALLY FUCKING WEIRD that in the DC universe, cinematic or otherwise, we have spent the better part of a decade watching super heroes continually break their traditional morals on various fronts to the point where quite possibly the most nefarious human character in DC by and large is not only getting their own show, but will almost certainly be made to be an empathetic character. Amanda Waller is an AMAZING villain, but mostly because her xenophobic/jingoist views clash directly with the values of the Justice League and, by definition, america itself (har har, I know). I feel like we're getting closer and closer to "Waller was right" territory with all of this stuff, simply because we're never going to get the opposite view.

Shit, when was the last time we got a DC movie where the protagonist felt like an actual hero? The B-plots of all of them recently (saving Shazam, I never saw Shazam) have been, "boy, I'm fucking this up pretty bad huh? Better turn this around".

It's so fucking strange. I have no doubts that this show will be great as a dark power fantasy akin to Power, but man....it's not the way I would have gone.

I'm just getting burned out on, "who watches the watchmen" aspects of superhero stuff, especially when those doing so are so DRAMATICALLY over the top evil.

But I'm going to watch the shit out of this, believe you me.

You know, I was about to say, "It'd be like making a spin off where Thunderbolt Ross becomes Red Hulk," forgetting that Thunderbolts is still very much on the table.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Amanda Waller piece of shit in movies and peacemaker
Tv show based on - fuck her she can't be humanize even after developments in peacemaker…
If that was the case why make a show if you already determined she's not redeemable and she can't grow
I mean yeah, it's fucking weird.

Even in the comics, every time Waller is "right", it's basically at the behest of every moral caveat needed to get the job done. There is no humanizing Amanda Waller, so it's weird that they'd make a TV show where the point is to basically show how much loss of life she's willing to stomach in order to make sure that Bizzaro stays a state secret (for example).

It's really weird that we're going in the direction that shows just how bad the powers that be are when we have almost nothing to counterbalance those themes save...interpersonal redemption on a very small scale.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah, Davis is incredible as the Wall. The more the better!

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's really really weird that DC is trying to make some kind of Suicide Squad-verse instead of, I don't know, making a show about the amazons. I did like Peacemaker a lot, but ehhhhh.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I think it's really really weird that DC is trying to make some kind of Suicide Squad-verse instead of, I don't know, making a show about the amazons. I did like Peacemaker a lot, but ehhhhh.

I imagine it has something to do with talent behind the scenes. Like, Gun seems into his spin-offs, and over in another verse Reeves is into his Batman spin-offs. It's possible that either bad reception to WW84 or Jenkins just not being interested is why we don't have anything Amazonian going on.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, why not. The Amanda Waller casting is one of the few things Suicide Squad got right

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Man, Viola Davis is a fucking boss, so I'd be so down with this. And Amanda Waller is a fun character.

Davis is such an amazing actor, and she has incredible screen presence. I loved her in How to Get Away With Murder, and pretty much everything else she's done.

I still need to watch Peacemaker. God, I'm so, so behind on TV shows and movies these days...

EDIT: Agreed that CCH Pounder would have also been a fantastic live action Waller. Another excellent actress!

Last edited:

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It sure would be interesting to see what else is going on with the character. So far she's just been incredibly ruthless, like even killing her own Intel team in Ayers suicide squad

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I mean...

okay but...

Like...are we really out here trying to make Amanda Waller, of all characters, your protagonist?

Absolutely.

Not all protagonists need to be heroic, or necessarily someone that you cheer for. It's all in the execution. See, Breaking Bad (not my favorite show, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that Walter White wasn't a fascinating character to watch), and even Viola's Annaliese Keating was like a "proto-Waller" (and probably why she was considered for the role). Annaliese is a complex character, and sometimes you love her, and sometimes you hate her, but she's always fascinating to watch.

With Viola also producing the show, she could inform a lot more of how the character is portrayed, and add a lot more depth and nuance to her than what we got in her film appearances. And if the show's writers are strong, they could tell compelling, interesting stories that are at least fun to watch. Again, you don't always have to love your protagonist if the show's narrative is well executed.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
"Watchmen writer Christal Henry" Um... this has the potential to be real good. Watchmen was incredible.

Oh. Well, that certainly adds even more to my interest. Watchman was such an excellent show.

Considering that Amanda Waller is a Black woman in a position of power, you can really dive into that part of her character and history, and with Christal Henry being a part of the project, I expect at least some of that to be an aspect of the show. Very, very interested in this, and I hope it happens.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post :(