• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I knew the premise of what they plan to do. Old Indy in an adventure movie. I just can't see the story path they might take where I'm not just wishing he was still young and could do something like the original trilogy. I really hope they don't plan on doing the whole de-age thing. Not sure if even that would work.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I knew the premise of what they plan to do. Old Indy in an adventure movie. I just can't see the story path they might take where I'm not just wishing he was still young and could do something like the original trilogy. I really hope they don't plan on doing the whole de-age thing. Not sure if even that would work.
Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth practically writes itself.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
No George Lucas or Steven Spielberg being involved makes me very uninterested in this.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Crystal Skull was an abomination sooo, I don't care. The franchise is in the Terminator zone now; I assume they'll just push out another one every decade until the end of time.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
Also, so that means Speilberg is free to just take over the next Tintin from Jackson who doesn't seem to be able to get it off the ground? Man I would love another Tintin more than another Indy at this point. Adventure works so much better in animation.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Well it can't be any worse than Crystal Skull.
It really wasn't that bad. Had plenty of charm and funny moments. Some howlers too of course but fans talk so much hyperbole about how bad it was as if it was like the Star Wars holiday special compared to Empire Strikes Back.

And aliens are the least ridiculous explanation for the shit that's gone down in these movies.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This movie was likely to be trash regardless of who directed it. Better that Spielberg didnt waste his last few years on this.

Also couldn't hurt to have a new perspective on Indy.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't hate Crystal Skull the way some do (there's actually much I like about it) but I really wanted Steven to have the opportunity to make a better, final Indy flick without Lucas' overbearing and shitty input.

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
I don't hate Crystal Skull the way some do (there's actually much I like about it) but I really wanted Steven to have the opportunity to make a better, final Indy flick without Lucas' overbearing and shitty input.

This is why it's disappointing to me as well. I wanted to see Spielberg's take without George forcing bad ideas on him.

Still excited, but it's lost a bit of it's shine.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Regarding those shit-talking Spielberg:

In the last two decades he directed Minority Report, Munich, War of the Worlds, Catch Me If You Can, Adventures of Tin Tin, Lincoln, Bridge of Spies, and The Post.

Munich and Lincoln are genuine masterpieces, Tin Tin is one of the better animated films of the last decade, The Post was fantastic and what's left is a smattering of solid cinematic drama and some really well-crafted action and escapism.

Jesus Christ at that particular lava-hot take.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a damn upgrade, if you ask me.

In the last two decades he directed Minority Report, Munich, War of the Worlds, Catch Me If You Can, Adventures of Tin Tin, Lincoln, Bridge of Spies, and The Post.

Munich and Lincoln are genuine masterpieces, Tin Tin is one of the better animated films of the last decade, The Post was fantastic and what's left is a smattering of solid cinematic drama and some really well-crafted action and escapism.

I agree with everything you said, but Indy 4 was so bad thay I just don't trust Stevie for this property. Mangold is at the fucking top of his game right now, I'm sure he's gonna deliver.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It really wasn't that bad. Had plenty of charm and funny moments. Some howlers too of course but fans talk so much hyperbole about how bad it was as if it was like the Star Wars holiday special compared to Empire Strikes Back.

And aliens are the least ridiculous explanation for the shit that's gone down in these movies.

Agree completely.

It's my least favorite of the franchise but there's some really cool stuff in that film, including the opening warehouse scene, which is pure Indy bliss.

It also reviewed well enough, though people tend to treat it as if it was panned critically like the SW prequels.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's a damn upgrade, if you ask me.

I agree with everything you said, but Indy 4 was so bad thay I just don't trust Stevie for this property. Mangold is at the fucking top of his game right now, I'm sure he's gonna deliver.

Lucas is the one responsible for the worst aspects of Indy 4.

And Mangold is a great director but I'd rather the man who made Raiders of the Lost Ark make the final film.

That said, at least they are getting an immensely talented director to fill his shoes.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Spielberg hasn't made a good action-adventure movie since Jurassic Park, and despite his efforts to try and reclaim some of that old magic in Indy 4, his "eye" is different now and the DP he's been using since '93 just doesn't fit with that tone and style. He's made outstanding movies since then, but I don't think he's particularly suited to that genre anymore.

Mangold would be a great director and in an ideal world he'd be making an Indiana Jones-esque movie with a new cast and story, but corporate overlords want returns on their IP and they want a safe bet, so I guess this is what we've got.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Every Indiana Jones has been worse than the one preceding it (that's right, Temple > Crusade) and Crystal Skull is probably one of the worst things Spielberg has made. And that's not just relative to the rest of his filmography; it's a bad movie.

I'm fine with new blood. Mangold is a good director, and if Spielberg feels like it should be someone else's charge to make the film, he couldn't have felt too passionate about it himself in the first place which would've just resulted in another phoned in movie.

2000s Spielberg is leaps and bounds better than 2010s Spielberg. Agreed about Catch, Minority Report, War of the Worlds (despite its limp ending) and especially Munich, but I don't think anything he did in the last decade was really at all memorable. Bridge of Spies, War Horse, The Post, and to a lesser extent Lincoln all feel like they're living in the same mushy haze of Kaminski bloom and cloying music. And did anyone even see The BFG??

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
A shame to see Spielberg go, but Mangold is a damn good pick to replace him.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
I think the movie just got more interesting to me. I've seen what a Spielberg/Lucas/Ford Indiana Jones movie is like. When that trio wasn't hampered by being absolutely miserable, they made really fun adventures. With just two of them, I was afraid that they'd try to recapture the magic of the previous ones, a process that was doomed to feel hollow. But now with just Ford around, things get interesting. What is the movie going to look like now? Mangold has been around long enough that I don't think he'll try to recreate the old ones in minute detail. He'll bring his own proclivities to it.

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
Maybe I'm in a minority but I would absolutely be up for a de-aged Harrison Ford Indiana Jones movie. I think I'd rather it look a little "off" than look like an old man doing things an old man just can't. Of any actor I think Ford is probably in the best shape at this stage in his life to make it the most believable.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not interested in an Indiana Jones without Lucas and Spielberg. I might watch it when it's on DIsney+ or Netlfix, but I probably won't pay to see it in theaters.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Ya'll are crazy. Spielberg's quieter films over the last 10-15 years have been some of the best of his career. The Post, Bridge of Spies, and Lincoln are all impeccably crafted.

Yeah, Spielberg's still out here making great movies (sometimes).

As far as Indy 5 goes, I wasn't too interested in it before and that hasn't changed with this news.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2000s Spielberg is leaps and bounds better than 2010s Spielberg. Agreed about Catch, Minority Report, War of the Worlds (despite its limp ending) and especially Munich, but I don't think anything he did in the last decade was really at all memorable. Bridge of Spies, War Horse, The Post, and to a lesser extent Lincoln all feel like they're living in the same mushy haze of Kaminski bloom and cloying music. And did anyone even see The BFG??

I think his output is just more scattershot and uneven post 2010 but I really, really loved Lincoln (arguably Lewis' best work) and The Post was very solid. I especially love the ending of that film, which frames the Watergate break-in with the type of dramatic coda usually reserved for Marvel flicks.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Both are superb directors, I'd take either of them on the project with the right script.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Who was it on here that said Indy 5 should be made in the style of Tin Tin and feature a young Indiana Jones? Because that's truly the best idea anyone's had for this franchise since Temple of Doom.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was really disappointed in the action, bike chase aside. You never feel like Indy is truly in danger.

I mean, I get your point but honestly, for me, the only time I worried for Indy's safety was at the beginning of Raiders when he's trying to escape the temple. After that, I pretty much assumed this was a guy who was going to always come out alive. :)