• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
After a long development process, Steven Spielberg is handing the directing reins on "Indiana Jones 5" to another filmmaker for the first time in the franchise's 39 year history, Variety has learned.

Sources say that while a deal hasn't closed, "Ford v Ferrari" director James Mangold is in talks to take the job. Mangold has been put in this situation before when he took over the "Wolverine" franchise; 2017's "Logan" was a blockbuster, grossing $619 million globally, and earned Mangold an Oscar nomination for best adapted screenplay.

Spielberg will remain as a hands-on producer on "Indy 5." According to a source close to the filmmaker, the decision to leave the director's chair was entirely Spielberg's, in a desire to pass along Indy's whip to a new generation to bring their perspective to the story.

variety.com

Steven Spielberg Won’t Direct ‘Indiana Jones 5,’ James Mangold in Talks to Replace (EXCLUSIVE)

Steven Spielberg is handing the directing reins on "Indiana Jones 5" to James Mangold.

Jan 3, 2018
Not that I ever expected this movie to be good, but Spielbergs judgement is questionable when it comes to choosing other directors.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Indiana Jones has a condition and it going out on 'adventures', at the end the police find him to take him home, stopping him stealing from the tower of London or something.

HENRY

Credits rolls

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Mangold is a hell of a director and honestly probably more of an inspired choice for action sequences these days. Can't be mad about this really.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. Spielberg is in the twilight of his career. I'm sure he doesn't want to waste 2 years on yet another Indy.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Crusade was a fine ending to the series. Please stop.

Crystal Skull was a high budget fan film.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Regardless of who's directing there's no chance that this will be any good.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
Spielberg hasn't directed a great movie in decades. The last Indy he directed was absolutely embarrassing. It's a good thing he isn't near it.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this may be for the best.

I like Spielberg as a filmmaker but his attempts at directing action/adventure projects have been lukewarm at best over the past several years. Ready Player One, The BFG, War Horse, and of course Crystal Skull have all been anywhere from mediocre to bad.

The Adventures of Tintin would be the only exception but that's kind of a whole different thing considering it's animated.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good, here's what I've decided:

Spielberg has always wanted to make a big MGM era musical. His West Side Story might knock it out of the park. In which case he needs to make HAMILTON next.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Spielberg's output in the last 15 years is pretty underwhelming so honestly I'm fine with this. Mangold is coming off of two really good films.

Harrison said a few weeks ago that they're filming this Summer

I don't think art is solely about how good someone's output has been (subjectivity and all that). It's far more about perspective. So in this regard I see the IJ film series as Spielberg movies (and Lucas/Spielberg collaborations on top of that). They are films directed with the eye of Spielberg. As great as Mangold is, he isn't Spielberg (and that's fine. I like Mangold being himself).

In other words, I'm not an Indinana Jones fan because something is called Indiana Jones. I'm an Indiana Jones fan because of the people that created it. I want to see what they cook up. It's okay if they make something I don't like. No Lucas and reduced Spielberg start turning this film series into a different thing for me. Anyone is free to look forward to this version though, enjoy what you like. I hope it turns out well for those that are really looking forward to it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to a source close to the filmmaker, the decision to leave the director's chair was entirely Spielberg's, in a desire to pass along Indy's whip to a new generation to bring their perspective to the story.

Does this imply Indy 5 won't be the last Indy title?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017