• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
One of the worst kept secrets in Hollywood is that "No Way Home" will be diving headfirst into the multiverse, and incorporating Sony's other iterations of Spider-Man starring Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield. Alfred Molina, for example, told Variety in April that he will be digitally de-aged in "No Way Home" to look like he did as the villain Doc Ock at the end of 2004's "Spider-Man 2."

It was all but confirmed until now, so there we go!

variety.com

Will Spider-Man Ever Connect With Sony’s Other Marvel Movies? ‘There Actually Is a Plan,’ Says Exec

Sony exec Sanford Panitch says "there actually is a plan" to bring together its Marvel movies with Spider-Man.

"We don't really think of our 900 characters as the Spidey-verse," he says. "We have a Marvel universe. The volume of characters we have — you know, wait until you see this next 'Venom.' You don't miss Spider-Man."

He pauses. "It'll be exciting if they do meet, right?"

Therein lies the rub. In the world of sprawling comic-book universes, the tangled web between Sony's Marvel-verse and Disney's Marvel Cinematic Universe is especially perplexing. Because Holland's Peter Parker is part of the MCU, any appearance he would make in Sony's other Marvel films would seem to retroactively rope in characters like Hardy's Venom and Taylor-Johnson's Kraven in the MCU as well — but Marvel Studios is only a producing partner with Sony on the Holland movies. Confusing things even further, the first trailer for "Morbius" teased an appearance by Michael Keaton, who played the Spider-Man villain Vulture in the Sony/Marvel Studios co-production "Spider-Man: Homecoming."

Panitch understands that the inherent tension in this convoluted nexus of intellectual property has engendered confusion and frustration among fans. While he remains circumspect about any details, Panitch is also candid that he expects that tension will soon be resolved…somehow — and that greenlighting "Kraven," a character who's also tussled with Venom in the comics, fills in another piece of that puzzle.

"There actually is a plan," he says. "I think now maybe it's getting a little more clear for people where we're headed and I think when 'No Way Home' comes out, even more will be revealed."

The implication is that whatever happens in "No Way Home" could allow for Holland to live in Sony's Marvel movies while also somehow being a part of the MCU. But beyond another appearance by Holland's Spidey in an as-yet-unannounced Marvel Studios film, "No Way Home" is the last film in Marvel and Sony's current deal to share the character.

EDIT:
Looks like they just edited the article, it now says "One of the worst kept secrets in Hollywood is that "No Way Home" will be diving headfirst into the multiverse, and incorporating characters from Sony's earlier Spider-Man movies that starred Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield."

Last edited:

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
It really sucks this leaked. Imagine going to the theater and seeing this for the first time.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I truly believe a scene where all three Spider-man appear and beat the shit out of the main villain could go on to be even bigger than the huge dick Avengers Assemble moment from Endgame.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man is going to be like with some years on him.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Can't believe there were people who didn't believe this was gonna happen, the already are establishing a multiverse with electro and doc ock, would make 0 sense not to bring back all the spideys.

Cant wait for king Tobey to return

OP
OP
Slash

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Looks like they just edited the article, it now says "One of the worst kept secrets in Hollywood is that "No Way Home" will be diving headfirst into the multiverse, and incorporating characters from Sony's earlier Spider-Man movies that starred Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield."

Someone probably spilled the beans too early!

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe there were people who didn't believe this was gonna happen, the already are establishing a multiverse with electro and doc ock, would make 0 sense not to bring back all the spideys.

Cant wait for king Tobey to return

I remember the rumor was Tobey was asking for a crapload of money. So either Marvel caved or they negotiated him down.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
But Garfield said he wasn't in the movie!!!! How is it possible for an actor to lie!?!?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, the link says other characters, not Spider-Man himself.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I remember the rumor was Tobey was asking for a crapload of money. So either Marvel caved or they negotiated him down.
I can't blame him, honestly. Dude probably wasn't thrilled with being made a fool in Spider-Man 3, which also cost him the sequels, and he hasn't been acting in movies for years. Plus after seeing RDJ's paychecks, he probably wants to leverage a bit of that himself.

Chase the bag, Maguire.

OP
OP
Slash

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Yeah, the link says other characters, not Spider-Man himself.

The original quote was this:
One of the worst kept secrets in Hollywood is that "No Way Home" will be diving headfirst into the multiverse, and incorporating Sony's other iterations of Spider-Man starring Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield.

I posted both versions in the OP.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Bullshit. Andrew Garfield said this was false just the other day.
Hopefully Variety prints a full page apology for such fake news.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

You mean Alfred Molina?

variety.com

Alfred Molina Details Doc Ock’s Return in ‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’: ‘The Tentacles Do All the Work’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Alfred Molina confirmed his role in “Spider-Man: No Way Home,” and detailed his experience making the movie, in which he will be de-aged.

OP
OP
Slash

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
You mean Alfred Molina?

variety.com

Alfred Molina Details Doc Ock’s Return in ‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’: ‘The Tentacles Do All the Work’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Alfred Molina confirmed his role in “Spider-Man: No Way Home,” and detailed his experience making the movie, in which he will be de-aged.

He also spilled the beans on that! I was referring to Andrew and Tobey returning specifically, which hasn't been confirmed by a trade until now.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
c3TrnnX.png

Looks like Tom kinda got what he wanted lol

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I hope tom and andrew talk about how nasty organic web shooters are

OP
OP
Slash

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Ummm, well the corrected article is certainly more boring and says nothing new.

Article still has a bunch of new stuff, like how they're planning on tying the Sony Marvel films to the MCU through the multiverse and the fact that No Way Home basically shows that. Still, I don't think Variety made a mistake originally- they probably posted that too early.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it didn't leak it'd have 100% been spoiled by trailers knowing how Sony cuts their trailers.
Idk maybe Marvel would rein them in considering they're heavily involved in the movie, or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my parts because it'd have been a nice surprise to keep for people going to see the movie. Either way, I'm excited to see what they do, and doubly so since Marvel is involved.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They can't ruin Spidey any more than how he's already been ruined in the MCU so I'm down for this.