• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I feel like Coogler gets WAY more leverage than Derrickson. Dr. Strange did ok at the box office but it was no Black Panther.

So does James Gunn. Marvel let him go nuts on those movies.

How can people really say the MCU gives directors a great deal of creative control? Like, there is no delay in shooting and it begins in May. It seems Marvel only wants specific Yes People directors or directors who fit within their own vision. It sucks.

Not exactly, this is just what studios do - including Warner Bros.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
It's a decent chance for an upgrade. Derrickson obviously was passionate about the material (the story of his pitch to direct it attests to that), had a decent handle on the weirdness of visuals (if aping Inception hard), but he's a very middle of the road director regardless. There's no spark there as the likes of Coogler, Gunn or Taika have. Doctor Strange had lots of excellent elements, like casting, costume and production design, visual effects, but never quite rose above "solid familiar origin story". Maybe freed from those constraints and with a little more of his horror background allowed, he would have delivered a superior sequel, but that's irrelevant now, I hope they've got someone exciting lined up.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Something that might be worth considering if timelines match up, the Wandavision show which has been spoken about as leading into this somewhat is coming out in 2020, likely towards the end of it..maybe they didn't want to delay Strange 2 due to this and it's what lead to this outcome?

Spitballing obvs.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the movie is called the Multiverse of Madness

if they don't even consider or talk to Del Toro, then they fuckin up already

just give it a TASTE, marvel

just a DROP

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Only one man can save them now

sam-raimi-bermuda-triangle.jpg

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they are trying to stay on schedule isn't necessarily because they don't care who directs, it's because they probably have to work within the schedules of the actors, the equipment, the lot, and all crewmembers

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Fox Marvel movies that are bad weren't solely because of the directors though.
no doubt, but Fox definitely tried to paint Trank as to sole bad guy in the trades. he sounds like a drunk asshole, but like you said, the studio didn't help things by putting Kate Mara in a terrible wig and trying to change everything about the movie in reshoots. Disney are clearly much more adept at avoiding such utter trainwrecks, but i don't think they're above pulling a similar move in the worst case scenario

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Marvel and Feige will try this crap with Coogler and Black Panther II.

Hopefully Coogler tells them to fuck off if they do.
I think it's safe to assume they do not want the bad publicity that would come from butting heads with Coogler

Maybe that's why they aren't doing anything Black Panther/Wakanda related in the supplemental material and Black Panther 2 isn't coming for another 2 years.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I'm gonna make a bold prediction so save this post everyone so you can congratulate or shame me later:

John Krasinski as director of DS2

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something that might be worth considering if timelines match up, the Wandavision show which has been spoken about as leading into this somewhat is coming out in 2020, likely towards the end of it..maybe they didn't want to delay Strange 2 due to this and it's what lead to this outcome?
Maybe Strange 2 will take Shang-Chi date of Feb 2021. WandaVision will be in the same 2019 Mandalorian's slot of November-December and will lead into the movie.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dead speak! The multiverse has heard a mysterious
broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of
the late THANOS.

WONG dispatches masters of the mystic arts to gather
intelligence, while STEPHEN STRANGE, the last hope of the Ancient One, trains
for battle against the diabolical FORCES OF DARKNESS.

Meanwhile, the dread DORMAMMU rages in search of the
phantom Thanos, determined to destroy any threat to his
power....

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Strange 2 will take Shang-Chi date of Feb 2021. WandaVision will be in the same 2019 Mandalorian's slot of November-December and will lead into the movie.
Shang-Chi is due to start filming very soon, and has been in pre-production for a few months, DS2 isn't due to start for four or five months. Doesn't make sense to flip them.