• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Scott Derrickson is stepping down as director of Marvel's "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness," Variety has learned.

The studio and the filmmaker confirmed his departure in a statement, attributing it to "creative differences." Derrickson, who oversaw the first "Doctor Strange," will remain as an executive producer.

"Marvel Studios and Scott Derrickson have amicably parted ways on Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness due to creative differences," Marvel said in a statement to Variety, adding, "We remain grateful to Scott for his contributions to the MCU."

Start of production on the film will take place in May and there are not expected to be any delays when it comes to shooting. The search for a replacement is currently underway.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aww. Hopefully the movie is still as much of a "horror" as its supposed to be.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
The differences being that Derrickson wanted to get a little too creative for Marvel's taste.

What a lame, tame move by Marvel.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if he objected to the casting of Keanu Reeves as Shuma-Gorath.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Scott wanted to push the Horror to Rate R terrirotry and Marvel Studios didn't wanna risk it

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
This one was supposed to tie into Loki and WandaVision. Maybe too much so?

Wonder who they'll tap for it.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Ah that sucks!

Wonder who they'll tap for it.

MV5BMTkzMDczMjUxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODY1Njk5Mg@@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doctor Strange was one of the more Luke warm Marvel films.

Don't really have string dealings in any direction in this.

Get Junji Ito on board as creative director.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it wasn't kid friendly enough or something, shame I would have loved the change of direction.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
2 spooky 4 Marvel

Honestly this could be a good thing though because Derrickson is a pretty average director. They can do better.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to predict that they'll get the guy who directed Shazam to replace him.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
Always thought it was a bit weird how Scott Derrickson kept repeating it was a horror movie while Feige was saying it would only have horror elements

Kinda ok with this though. The first Doctor Strange is one of the weakest Marvel films and Sinister was pretty bad too
I'm going to predict that they'll get the guy who directed Shazam to replace him.
That would be an upgrade though I'm guessing he'd be busy with Shazam 2

Antoo

May 1, 2019
The director tweeted out weeks ago that studios setting release dates irritated him. 🧐

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Derrickson seemed totally gung ho for the movie as recently as a month ago too

Nephrahim

Jun 9, 2018
Hrrrm.

Not sure I like this. Not that I have any love for Derrickson, but there are so many moving parts in the MCU these days, somthing slipping up could have a lot of ripples.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Sad that it has to go this way. Not that Derrickson was impressive with the first one, but still.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some are speculating this tweet might have something to do with it

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doctor Strange 1 was already one of the most painfully mediocre films in the MCU, and the rest of Derrickson's directorial record is utter garbage, so can't say we're losing much here.

V_Ben

Larian Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
St Albans, UK
The director tweeted out weeks ago that studios setting release dates irritated him. 🧐

The tweet was, I believe, 'release dates are the enemy of art' - or something similar.

I was looking forward to a more horror-y approach, wonder who they'll get to replace him. Which interesting horror directors have just finished up projects?

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Makes sense. Marvel knows what they are doing. This directors vision did not line up with that so bye bye. They did the same to Edgar Wright

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't expect anything new from Marvel and people no doubt love that coherence but really wish they would push the boat out now. Who knows how this turn out, maybe it will be fine.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
I was wondering why Cargill didn't come back... this is probably why.